Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Well, that was interesting. The Spurs were cruising with a comfortable lead for much of the night ... until they nearly snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Thankfully, the Pelicans late rally came up short and San Antonio was able to escape with a 113-108 victory -- their fifth win in a row -- to improve their record to 32-22.

The Spurs were up by 20 points with five minutes and change left in the game when Pop emptied the bench. New Orleans caught fire, San Antonio went ice cold and suddenly it was a three-point game with 38 seconds remaining. After an empty offensive trip by the Spurs, the Pelicans had the ball with a chance to tie. The potential for an epic collapse ended when the Pelicans missed a three-pointer than could have tied it with less than five seconds remaining.

Nothing much can be gleaned from the game; the Spurs didn't break much of a sweat building and maintaining the lead, and the collapse was a case of the deep bench unit letting the dam break. Pop didn't reinsert starting players until New Orleans got within three points, so the collapse was basically a separate game than what occurred in the first 43 minutes of the contest.

-I had to chuckle at how this game played out after I chastised Pop for not pulling the starters earlier the last time these two teams met. In that game, the Spurs held a 20-point lead midway through the fourth quarter and Pop opted to keep starters on the court. After Rudy Gay turned an ankle, I went on record as saying Pop made a dumb coaching mistake for keeping Gay on the court during garbage time against a team so short-handed that they were incapable of making up the ground. Tonight, in the exact same situation and against the exact same short-handed team, Pop went with his bench. And, lo and behold, the Spurs almost lost the damn game. Funny stuff, basketball gods.

-LaMarcus Aldridge was a beast yet again. When he's running the court hard to gain deep post position, takes his time once he gets the ball and is physical, Aldridge is so good. Then, once he has established an inside game, his fadeaways and spot-up jumpers become much more effective counter moves. The Pelicans didn't have an answer for Aldridge and, truth be told, not many teams do these days. With as small as the league has gotten and how much post defenders have become devalued, Aldridge can feast against the vast majority of teams.

-While Aldridge was really good last season, it's pretty clear that he has played the best basketball of his Spurs career over the last 37 games. He's been really, really good. After a slow start to the season, in those 37 games he is averaging 22 points on 57% shooting from the field while doing strong work on the glass and passing the basketball better than he ever has. Considering that he's 33 years old, it's a little bit surprising that Aldridge is peaking ... but it's not a total shock. Remember, bigmen such as Dirk Nowitzki, Karl Malone and Hakeem Olajuwon all played their best, most successful basketball at around the same age.

-Once again, DeMar DeRozan was off. While he wasn't terrible against New Orleans, he was definitely a shadow of his early-season self. I don't know exactly what is wrong with him but now the best guess is that he's more banged up than he lets on. He doesn't have the speed, bounce and vivacity he flashed early in the campaign. In fact, tonight I saw DeRozan wince a couple times when making quick moves. With the All-Star break coming up, let's hope he can get healthy during that ten-day break.

-The brutally honest truth about this current incarnation of DeRozan is that he's not a helpful basketball player. He might make things easier a possession here or a possession there but he's a net negative in his present state. DeRozan is basically just inhaling touches with middling efficiency, doesn't play well or space the court off the ball, plays below average defense, and generally just gets in the way. The Spurs need him to get 100% or he might as well sit out. Again, let's hope the All-Star break in the answer.

-Although it's not overly surprising that Aldridge is still playing well at 33, I am surprised that Rudy Gay is playing so well at 32. Swingmen who rely on athleticism typically don't last much past the age of 30, especially ones who have a torn Achilles on their resume. However, it can be argued that Gay is having one of the best years of his career -- if not the absolute best on a per-minute basis. He is shooting career-high marks on two-pointers, three-pointers and free throws. He's averaging near career-highs in rebounds and assists per minute, while he's near a career-low in turnovers per minute. And it's safe to say Gay has never played this good of defense or fit into a team-centric system this well. These Spurs would be in trouble without him.

-Derrick White had an uncharacteristic poor shooting night against the Pelicans. How uncharacteristic? Over his last 18 games, he's shooting 60.7% from the field and 48.8% from beyond the three-point arc. During that span, he's averaging 15.2 points, 4.4 rebounds and 3.8 assists. While it's impossible for him to shoot that well over the course of a season, I'm extremely high on White's future. I love everything about him. Defensively, he can guard point guards or wings without skipping a beat. On top of that, he is one of the very best rim protecting point guards I've ever seen. Offensively, he can handle the ball, he can pass, he can finish, he has nice touch and it appears he could turn into a better than average three-point shooter. But what I actually love most about him is his high IQ, winning style. He's the type of player who fits on any team and gives you a better chance to win regardless of the role he's playing. I look forward to watching to see how good he can become but I'm already totally sold on him as a building block.

-While he has his limitations, I think Bryn Forbes is underrated by Spurs fans. He doesn't have the physical abilities to be a plus defender but he's conscientious, which is a large part of the battle. He tries hard on that end and he appears to know what to do ... although actually doing it is a work in progress. On offense, Forbes gives you a guy who can space the court very well with his picture-perfect quick release, doesn't turn it over much, can play point guard in a pinch and is learning to score off the dribble. Is he a long-term starter at shooting guard? Unlikely but not impossible. Undersized shooting guards usually go through growing pains and then peak late -- look at players like JJ Re and Lou Williams -- so Forbes could have a couple more years of improvement ahead of him. Right now, it appears his floor is a high quality bench player, which is impressive considering he looked to be a borderline NBA player heading into the season.

-Davis Bertans saw his cold streak continue tonight against New Orleans but he's another player to be excited about after the strides he's made this season. He has always looked like a good shooter but this season he's lived up to that potential. Just as important, Bertans is someone who I'd classify as an above average defender. His D is awkward and non-traditional but it works. Add in improved rebounding and he's a high quality bench player who has the potential to be a plus-minus stalwart due to his ability to instantly change a game for the better.

-Sure, Patty Mills is overpaid but he's been a useful player this season after his horrendous start. He's a top tier backup point guard who spreads the court, pushes the pace, plays unselfishly and is by all accounts a great teammate. Unfortunately, he no longer has it in him to play at a 2014 level (he wa a much better scorer and a much more active defender back then) ... but I think he is currently slotted into a role in which he helps the team. Last year, his role didn't make much sense and it hurt the team. This season? Eh, he's fine.

-Marco Belinelli is another player who bounced back from a bad start to the season. He's been one of the most lethal bench players for weeks on end now. Over his last 12 games, Belinelli is averaging 15.3 points in 24.6 minutes per game on 51.3% shooting from the field, 50% shooting on threes and 96.2% at the line. To compare, that's more points per game than DeRozan over the same stretch in 12 fewer minutes per game and six fewer shots. I wasn't thrilled with the two-year, $12 million contract he got in the offseason but it's difficult to be too upset with it these days. Yes, he's one of the worst perimeter defenders in the league but his offensive exploits have overshadowed any weaknesses as of late.

-The most perplexing subplot right now is the backup center position. Lately, Pau Gasol and Jakob Poeltl had been splitting minutes. Tonight, though, Gasol got all the meaningful minutes and then Poeltl came in during garbage time (or what was supposed to be garbage time). It's difficult to figure out what Pop is thinking. Gasol is obviously a defensively liability right now having lost a couple steps since returning from the stress fracture in his foot. And while he is still a better shooter and passer than Poeltl, it's not like Gasol is an offensive wunderkind. As it stands, Poeltl is clearly the better player but suddenly Gasol is getting first dibs at the minutes behind Aldridge. Why is Gasol back in the rotation? I see three possibilities: 1) The Spurs are looking to trade him and think that his value will increase with more minutes. 2) The Spurs want to tempt him to ask to be cut and walk away from the $6 million he's guaranteed next season. 3) Pop truly believes Gasol can regain the mobility he lost after the injury and will eventually become a better option than Poeltl as he plays more minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with pretty much everything, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pondexter and Metu played and both were disasters.

Cunningham, who usually plays well against the Pelicans, didn't play at all.

Spurs can definitely afford to get rid of Pondexter and Cunningham. I've got no idea what the Spurs can get for Pau.

The way it is looking right now, there are a ton of expiring contracts out there. Spurs can either acquire these players at some cost, or acquire them in the offseason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Demar is so bad it gives me fits. He has to get out of the rotation.
    Case 1: he is hurt. Good, rest, get treatment, recover, get back. Very standard, straightforward process.
    Case 2: he has a psychological meltdown (depression). Treat it as an injury, that is get treatment and get back when ready.

But if to treat the Case 2 he needs to play, then he has to be cut. This is profesional basketball, not the kindergarten.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great write up. Many thanks OP!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Case 1: he is hurt. Good, rest, get treatment, recover, get back. Very standard, straightforward process.
    Case 2: he has a psychological meltdown (depression). Treat it as an injury, that is get treatment and get back when ready.

But if to treat the Case 2 he needs to play, then he has to be cut. This is profesional basketball, not the kindergarten.
    I say put him on ice and prep him for the playoffs.

Get another SF from elsewhere to consume the missing load. Burks/Hood from Cavs look interesting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I say put him on ice and prep him for the playoffs.

Get another SF from elsewhere to consume the missing load. Burks/Hood from Cavs look interesting.
    After the trade deadline there will be so many good players bought out that it will be a whole new game...
    But if PATFO wants to acquire somebody via trade, the Cavs due is interesting, and Mirotic is very intriguing among those being shopped around.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades/thoughts. I think the whole 3pt Shooting Contest snub has maybe gotten into Bertans' head. I think he's trying to hard to prove he belongs in it.

I really hope Pop is showcasing Gasol to trade him this week. He sucks.

I really have enjoyed how well Aldridge has been playing. He seems to have decided in his mind that this is his team and that seems to have inspired better performance on the court.

Derozan has sucked for a while. I noticed it weeks ago. I asked timvp about it who seemed to think it was all the minutes he was playing, but that clearly isn't it. He's had time to rest and last night he still sucked. I think he's unhappy here. Not sure why. Maybe it's the fact that he hasn't gotten over the trade. I honestly don't know, but to me it's something mental. He doesn't looked engaged. He overreacts negatively if a couple of questionable calls don't go his way. Just my opinion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i hate Gasol

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Me,too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Coyote deserves an A for being 50% on bat catches.

DeRozan since the Toronto game is a worse player than Derrick White 15 PPG on 40% shooting

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

you for comparing someone, anyone, suffering from depression to a kindergartner. That's ed up.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you for comparing someone, anyone, suffering from depression to a kindergartner. That's ed up.
    low iq people attributing poor play on the court to depression is an example of why people keep their depression to themselves. because dumbasses dont know what it is and dont bother educating their ignorant selves

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Metu -12 in 3 minutes lulz

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of all the things that are said in this place...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    low iq people attributing poor play on the court to depression is an example of why people keep their depression to themselves. because dumbasses dont know what it is and dont bother educating their ignorant selves
    So you're saying there's no way depression is affecting his play? Based on what? Please enlighten us with your high IQ.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White is very similar to another player in tonight’s game, Drew Holiday. I think Drew might be White’s floor and that’s a damn good player. They both play with great pace, strength and BBIQ. They are solid the defenders and good playmakers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's forget your poor knowledge of the english language, and your subpar comprehension capabilities...
    Please answer: if he is depressed he has to play, so he gets out of his depression? Is that your cure?

Why the f. do you talk about something you have zero knowledge of?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Timvp. I think Poeltl needs the consistent minutes with the 2nd unit to develop further and be effective. And Gasol coming back disrupted that progress. I surely hope Pop decides to trade Gasol, package him for that elusive 3 and D that we desperately need. Although I doubt it because I never recall Spurs trade in mid-season. I just don’t remember any, but hopefully it’s the first. I doubt it’s blockbuster move like Davis, Gordon/Bamba, etc that I’ve read here discussed but I like to be wrong. I’ve yet to see Moore or Huestis. But I sure hope FO solve that position soon. I think we still have time, but for sure Pop need to get the lineup set soon and start playing positioning for the playoffs. GSG!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Regarding Gasol, judging by Pop’s postgame interview, the answer to your question would be the 3rd possibility. Pop truly believes Gasol just needs to regain his footing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Regarding Gasol, judging by Pop’s postgame interview, the answer to your question would be the 3rd possibility. Pop truly believes Gasol just needs to regain his footing.
    Then that’s awful news because he is for sure negatively affecting Poeltl improvement. I’d rather if he stay to focus his efforts to mentor the kid and not be out for himself. The kid needs precious minutes in the court and not garbage time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then that’s awful news because he is for sure negatively affecting Poeltl improvement. I’d rather if he stay to focus his efforts to mentor the kid and not be out for himself. The kid needs precious minutes in the court and not garbage time.
    if Pop is right, then playing Gasol is a no-brainer. I hope he is right, but I start doubting it. Anyway, a foot injury for a 7 footer is tough to recover from, takes time.

In any case, as long as DDR has playing time, I don't see why Pau shouldn't have minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you're saying there's no way depression is affecting his play? Based on what? Please enlighten us with your high IQ.
    google is your friend

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So maaaany graduate at Google University and pretend to possess knowledge

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So maaaany graduate at Google University and pretend to possess knowledge
    google is your friend

*i am not your friend

ask google, don’t ask me. if you are feeling up to it, walk down to your local library and shed some pounds to feed your mind

Thread Information