Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    just over a week away from the draft

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    just over a week away from the draft
    I guess it makes sense for you to be excited. I'm not. For the first time in years I'll probably just google the first round.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    raiders schedule is absurdly brutal man... imo 8-8 would be a resounding success this year

vs Denver
    vs Chiefs
    @ Vikings
    @ Colts
    vs Bears (London)
    bye
    @ Packers
    @ Texans
    vs Lions
    vs Chargers
    vs Bengals
    @ Jets
    @ Chiefs
    vs ans
    vs Jaguars
    @ Chargers
    @ Broncos

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    raiders schedule is absurdly brutal man... imo 8-8 would be a resounding success this year

vs Denver
    vs Chiefs
    @ Vikings
    @ Colts
    vs Bears (London)
    bye
    @ Packers
    @ Texans
    vs Lions
    vs Chargers
    vs Bengals
    @ Jets
    @ Chiefs
    vs ans
    vs Jaguars
    @ Chargers
    @ Broncos
    Their division alone makes it so their schedule is brutal imo, pile on the fact they have only 7 home games and it’s even worse. I actually think they win their first 2 games though, Flcco is simply not good anymore and I see the Chiefs getting off to a slow start with so many personnel changes on defense.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Their division alone makes it so their schedule is brutal imo, pile on the fact they have only 7 home games and it’s even worse. I actually think they win their first 2 games though, Flcco is simply not good anymore and I see the Chiefs getting off to a slow start with so many personnel changes on defense.
    the raiders actually played one of their best games last season against the chiefs at home... they lost by 7 and actually had a lead in the 4th quarter. and that's with having 3 different running backs lose fumbles in chiefs territory. the raiders do tend to play their division tough at home. besides that chiefs game, they lost to the chargers by 1 (field goal as time expired) and beat the broncos by 7

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    i think whoever drafts jaylon ferguson in the 2nd round will be very happy with him. he's not likely to go in the first round because he played in a small school and his pro-day measurables were disappointing.

but he plays with a ton of strength... and the small school doesnt concern me too much because he had strong performances in the big games against ranked teams... LSU and Mississippi State. it was the same story with khalil mack. came out of a small school but people weren't concerned because he showed up big against ohio state.

ferguson isn't as good an athlete as mack, but he has a lot of polish as a pass rusher, is strong against the run. his athleticism on tape doesnt look as bad as his pro day numbers suggest. he should be a very good starting 4-3 DE. would love for the raiders to take him at #35, even if they took a defensive end earlier in the draft as well

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    i think whoever drafts jaylon ferguson in the 2nd round will be very happy with him. he's not likely to go in the first round because he played in a small school and his pro-day measurables were disappointing.

but he plays with a ton of strength... and the small school doesnt concern me too much because he had strong performances in the big games against ranked teams... LSU and Mississippi State. it was the same story with khalil mack. came out of a small school but people weren't concerned because he showed up big against ohio state.

ferguson isn't as good an athlete as mack, but he has a lot of polish as a pass rusher, is strong against the run. his athleticism on tape doesnt look as bad as his pro day numbers suggest. he should be a very good starting 4-3 DE. would love for the raiders to take him at #35, even if they took a defensive end earlier in the draft as well
    so

Best case: DeMarcus Lawrence
    Worst case: Brandon Graham

type?

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Denver should be awful. Maybe the worst record in the AFC considering their division and talent level. Almost all of their 2015 defense is now gone and their offense is pretty putrid.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    so

Best case: DeMarcus Lawrence
    Worst case: Brandon Graham

type?
    those aren't poor comparisons. i think michael bennett is another one.

i've been looking into the edge rushers lately quite a bit given the possibility of the raiders trading down...

i think rashan gary is overrated. his measurables are off the charts, and he was the #1 recruit from high school, but he's a very pedestrian pass rusher. he doesnt show moves. doest blow past people like the speed demons, and doesnt really have a great bull rush. he kind of just glides all the time and doesnt get home. his athletic ability shows up more in the run game, and he's a big motor guy, so he does chase down a lot of run plays if the guard in front of him pulls. but man his pass rush moves are ineffective.

clelin ferrell is one of the more underrated edge players in the draft. i'd take him over gary 10/10. he does everything well. he can get around the edge, has a lot of counters, and a go-to inside swim move... basically the one reggie white made famous with the big club. he plays the run pretty well too. he has frank clark written all over him and has the frame to bulk up even more. he's not quite as lengthy, but he has some julius peppers to him too. i dont see why he's getting mocked outside the top 15 (some mocks have him falling to the raiders at #24). he's not a combine warrior, but i think he's a safe pick.

if i'm ranking edge players... i'm going Nick Bosa, Josh Allen (i've shared my thoughts on him, i think he's very good but not a 4-3 DE), Montez Sweat, Clelin Ferrell, Brian Burns, Jaylon Ferguson, Zach Allen all above Rashan Gary, but gary looks like he's going to be a top 10 pick.

- bosa just does everything well. fast enough. plenty strong. fluid around the edge. its lazy to compare him to his brother... but they play very similar. i think joey looks a tad smoother around the edge, but not by much.
    - allen looks to be a great OLB. i dont see him being a 4-3 DE at all, though
    - sweat is fantastic. phenomenal athlete. speed demon. good strength. plays the run pretty well. if the raiders trade back and take sweat, i'd be thrilled. think he's the best 4-3 DE in the draft besides Bosa. but i think he'd struggle in a 3-4. he doesnt have linebacker instincts.
    - ferrell: see above
    - brian burns is another speed demon and great athlete. he has 3-4 OLB written all over him. he's mobile and good enough in coverage to play that role, but excels rushing the passer. he gets stood up in the run game, which is why i hesitate to call him a 4-3 DE. i think he's an upper-middle class version of josh allen
    - ferguson: discussed him in another post. might even have him above burns
    - zach allen is a great base end. basically the guy you'd have playing across your speedy edge rusher. DE in either a 3/4 or 4/3 scheme. demolishes the run, but provides some pass rush too. great bull rush. doesnt bend around the edge very much, but sometimes gets through just on strength. but he should not be your team's best pass rusher.
    - rashan gary: see above. you're drafting him based on pedigree and combine numbers, not production. guys like that shouldn't be first round picks, let alone top 10

but maybe i'm wrong and gary taps into all his potential and drastically improves at the NFL level and dominates
    Last edited by spurraider21; 04-18-2019 at 07:46 PM.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    those aren't poor comparisons. i think michael bennett is another one.

i've been looking into the edge rushers lately quite a bit given the possibility of the raiders trading down...

i think rashan gary is overrated. his measurables are off the charts, and he was the #1 recruit from high school, but he's a very pedestrian pass rusher. he doesnt show moves. doest blow past people like the speed demons, and doesnt really have a great bull rush. he kind of just glides all the time and doesnt get home. his athletic ability shows up more in the run game, and he's a big motor guy, so he does chase down a lot of run plays if the guard in front of him pulls. but man his pass rush moves are ineffective.

clelin ferrell is one of the more underrated edge players in the draft. i'd take him over gary 10/10. he does everything well. he can get around the edge, has a lot of counters, and a go-to inside swim move... basically the one reggie white made famous with the big club. he plays the run pretty well too. he has frank clark written all over him and has the frame to bulk up even more. he's not quite as lengthy, but he has some julius peppers to him too. i dont see why he's getting mocked outside the top 15 (some mocks have him falling to the raiders at #24). he's not a combine warrior, but i think he's a safe pick.

if i'm ranking edge players... i'm going Nick Bosa, Josh Allen (i've shared my thoughts on him, i think he's very good but not a 4-3 DE), Montez Sweat, Clelin Ferrell, Brian Burns, Jaylon Ferguson, Zach Allen all above Rashan Gary, but gary looks like he's going to be a top 10 pick.

- bosa just does everything well. fast enough. plenty strong. fluid around the edge. its lazy to compare him to his brother... but they play very similar. i think joey looks a tad smoother around the edge, but not by much.
    - allen looks to be a great OLB. i dont see him being a 4-3 DE at all, though
    - sweat is fantastic. phenomenal athlete. speed demon. good strength. plays the run pretty well. if the raiders trade back and take sweat, i'd be thrilled. think he's the best 4-3 DE in the draft besides Bosa. but i think he'd struggle in a 3-4. he doesnt have linebacker instincts.
    - ferrell: see above
    - brian burns is another speed demon and great athlete. he has 3-4 OLB written all over him. he's mobile and good enough in coverage to play that role, but excels rushing the passer. he gets stood up in the run game, which is why i hesitate to call him a 4-3 DE. i think he's an upper-middle class version of josh allen
    - ferguson: discussed him in another post. might even have him above burns
    - zach allen is a great base end. basically the guy you'd have playing across your speedy edge rusher. DE in either a 3/4 or 4/3 scheme. demolishes the run, but provides some pass rush too. great bull rush. doesnt bend around the edge very much, but sometimes gets through just on strength. but he should not be your team's best pass rusher.
    - rashan gary: see above. you're drafting him based on pedigree and combine numbers, not production. guys like that shouldn't be first round picks, let alone top 10

but maybe i'm wrong and gary taps into all his potential and drastically improves at the NFL level and dominates
    Excellent write up... if they're looking for an immediate Mack replacement, they'll need to cough up #4 plus either the Dallas or Chicago pick to get Bosa. Though you're right he's more of his brother than Mack.

Montez Sweat's 40 time is ridiculous for a DL, pretty much unheard of for that size... blows away the likes of Jevon Kearse, LT, DeMarcus Ware, and Von Miller. His rookie card will get like a 93 speed/95 acceleration in Madden.

Trying to think of a comparison to Zach Allen... maybe a shorter Calais Campbell?

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    i dont think he's that good. campbell is good enough to be your #1 pass rusher too

carlos dunlap, michael johnson, emmanuel ogbah come to mind. i think he's a very good starting DE but probably not your premier one. thats why he's not gonna be a first rounder. gary just scares me...

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    will also note that the guy people keep pointing to as reasons to be optimistic for Rashan Gary is Ezekiel Ansah. ansah only had 4.5 career sacks in 3 years in college, but had all the measurables/tools, and has become (when health) a great NFL player who justified the pick.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    as you could probably tell given my activity here, its been a slow as week at work (not to mention im already starting to check out given that i'm leaving this job end of next month)... so i've had way too much time on my hands during the day

so without further ado, here is my mock draft for the first round.

i will not be mocking any trades, though there are some teams that are very likely to make moves (jets want to trade out of 3, giants/bengals are both candidates to move up for QB, the raiders could maneuver a ton with 3 picks)

1 - Arizona Cardinals - Kyler Murray, QB. I don't agree with this pick, I think they're going to eat too much value on Rosen, who could still be a very good QB. But this is the worst kept secret, and Klingsbury gets "his guy."

2 - SF 49ers - Nick Bosa, DE. It's a slam dunk pick, and he'd be a great end opposite the speedier Dee Ford. Along with Buckner on the line... they are trying to rebuild their defense to Harbaugh levels.

3 - NY Jets - Josh Allen, OLB. Jets have a need for speed on defense. Gregg Williams has said the Jets are likely to stay with a base 3-4. That makes Quinnen Williams/Ed Oliver odd fits, and they take a dynamite 3-4 OLB who can rush the passer.

4 - Oakland Raiders - Quinnen Williams, DT. The Raiders have a bigger need at DE, but you have to balance need with value. Quinnen is just too good to pass up, and the Raiders want pressure up the middle to deal with Mahomes.

5 - TB Bucs - Devin White, MLB. The Bucs wanted Quinnen here, as McCoy's salary is becoming a problem, and they considered Ed Oliver, but ultimately chose to get a dominant linebacker to fill the void left by Kwon Alexander's exit

6 - NY Giants - Dwayne Haskins, QB. There's some smoke that the Giants really don't want to take a QB here, and much prefer to replace Olivier Vernon by drafting Gary or Sweat, but they cant just sit and hope a decent QB is available at 17.

7 - Jacksonville - Jonah Williams, OT. Best lineman in the draft. They've had issues here, but they want to protect new "franchise QB" Nick Foles and this is a big area of need.

8 - Detroit Lions - Rashan Gary, DE. I've made my feelings on Gary clear, but the Lions want somebody who can replace Ansah as an edge-setting DE that can also provide a pass rush. They think they can mold Gary like they did Ansah. They're also scared off by Sweat's heart condition.

9 - Buffalo Bills - Ed Olver, DT. One of the best value picks in the draft so far, they get an interior disruptor to replace the great Kyle Williams.

10 - Denver Broncos - Drew Lock, QB. Poor Flacco. Elway again decides to try to draft a big, prototypical QB who has accuracy issues. Flacco holds him off for a year, though, until week 15 or so.

11 - Cincinnati Bengals - Devin Bush, LB. Tough spot for Cinci. They really wanted a QB, but the top 3 guys are gone. They need help at LB, but Devin White is gone. Bush is still a plug and play starter and will fill the void left by Burfict.

12 - Green Bay - Jawaan Taylor, OT. Bulaga has been battling health issues, and they want to prolong Rodgers' career after his mammoth contract.

13 - Miami Dolphins - Cody Ford, OT. The Dolphins really want a QB, but the value isn't there. The still commit to the rebuild and pick up a tackle.

14 - Atlanta Falcons - Montez Sweat, DE. Quinn and the Falcons LOVE drafting speed on defense. See Deion Jones, Vic Beasley, Grady Jarrett... all guys who are undersized at their positions but have great athleticism. He falls here because of his heart condition.

15 - Washington Redskins - TJ Hockenson, TE. Even though I said no trades, I'm assuming the Skins deal a second for Josh Rosen. Rather than reaching in a mediocre WR class, they help Rosen by giving him a monster target who is also a great blocking TE. They run a lot of 2 TE sets to promote the run game with Peterson/Guice and Hock eventually replaces Reed.

16 - Carolina Panthers - Brian Burns, DE. Panthers do what Panthers do and load up on D. He learns behind and rotates with Mario Addison and Bruce Irvin.

17 - New York Giants - Clelin Ferrell, DE. After taking a QB at #6, the Giants look to the defensive side to try and replace Olivier Vernon.

18 - Minnesota Vikings - Chase Lindstrom, OG. Vikes offense underachieved despite paying big money for a QB and having great skill position players. They bolster the OL with the best guard in the draft.

19 - Tennessee ans - Noah Fant, TE. ans struck out because of the run on DE's a few picks before, so they instead add another offensive weapon who can learn from and ultimately replace the aging Delanie Walker.

20 - Pittsburgh Steelers - Marquise "Hollywood" Brown, WR. Steelers replace AB with an absolute burner of a receiver. Undersized, yes, but the Steelers know how to get the most of their receivers. He's the guy who will take the lid off the defense when Ben buys time.

21 - Seattle Seahawks - Greedy Williams, CB. Seahawks pick up a big corner with good cover skills.

22 - Baltimore Ravens - DK Metcalf, WR. Ravens grab the most physically imposing/impressive receiver in the draft. Basically Kevin White from a few years ago, but with another 15 pounds of muscle. Blazing straight line speed to give Jackson a threat, but equally importantly, his physical frame makes him an imposing downfield blocker to complement the Ravens run-heavy offense. He's basically what they wanted Perriman to be, but bigger.

23 - Houston Texans - DeAndre Baker, CB. Texans replace Kareem Jackson with Baker, an all-around CB with decent size, decent speed, and solid tackling.

24 - Oakland Raiders - Byron Murphy, CB. The Raiders take the last of the "big 3" CB's of the draft. Conley starts one side, but on the other side, Daryl Worley and Nevin Lawson are on one year deals. Murphy is the long term answer there.

25 - Philadelphia Eagles - Josh Jacobs, RB. There were rumors the Eagles wanted LeVeon. While they did acquire Jordan Howard for a late pick, he's not an all around back. Sproles is on his last legs and Clement/Smallwood are mediocre talents.

26 - Indianapolis Colts - Christian Wilkins, DT. The Colts have a good amount of draft capital this year, but they use their first pick on a good sized DT that can get pressure up the middle.

27 - Oakland Raiders - Jaylon Ferguson, DE. The Raiders need a defensive end, and there was a big run on them earlier. They choose between Ferguson and Chase Winovich, ultimately choosing the former because of his bigger frame and superior run defense.

28 - LA Chargers - Jeffery Simmons, DT. The Chargers want an interior disruptor, and they take the gamble on the guy with health concerns, but is a legit top 15 talent.

29 - KC Chiefs - Chase Winovich, DE. The Chiefs defense struggled last year, and they lost Houston and Ford in the offseason. They take the best edge player on the board, who outproduced Rashan Gary, his Michigan counterpart and also performed well at the combine.

30 - Green Bay Packers - Darnell Savage, S. They bolstered their OL earlier, they now take a safety to start opposite FA acquisition Amos. After their great corner picks last year, their secondary looks to be elite.

31 - LA Rams - Mack Wilson, LB. Their linebackers were laughably poor last season. They dont have a second round pick, and the dropoff at LB after Wilson is substantial. They don't have a 2nd round pick either.

32 - NE Patriots - Dexter Lawrence, DT. Strong value pick, fell because run plugging DT is typically not valued in the draft. The Pats lost Malcom Brown, traded for Danny Shelton last year but have yet to re-sign him. Lawrence fills a big need.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    ^Wouldnt mind the Lawrence pick but New England already upgraded Malcolm Brown when they signed Mike Pennel who was way better than Brown a year ago. They still wanted to sign one more d tackle so they could easily take one in the draft but would be surprised if it was first round.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    ^Wouldnt mind the Lawrence pick but New England already upgraded Malcolm Brown when they signed Mike Pennel who was way better than Brown a year ago. They still wanted to sign one more d tackle so they could easily take one in the draft but would be surprised if it was first round.
    Mike Pennel and Danny Shelton are both the 3-4 NT variety... gotta have 2 big fatties to swap out if you're going to be effective with that front, because at that size they're going to be winded fairly often.

Malcom Brown is a bit lighter but has gotten heavier the last year or so. I always thought he was more of the 4-3 DT, 3-4 IDE variety.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    The Giants don't want Haskins and he's been falling, no way he goes to Giants #6. If they pick a QB it's much more likely Lock or Jones. Haskins just isn't that good.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    Mike Pennel and Danny Shelton are both the 3-4 NT variety... gotta have 2 big fatties to swap out if you're going to be effective with that front, because at that size they're going to be winded fairly often.

Malcom Brown is a bit lighter but has gotten heavier the last year or so. I always thought he was more of the 4-3 DT, 3-4 IDE variety.
    Malcolm Brown is a run stuffing tackle, there’s nothing he brings to the table that Pennel doesnt. Pennel was grades higher by PFF last year in virtually every area.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Malcolm Brown is a run stuffing tackle, there’s nothing he brings to the table that Pennel doesnt. Pennel was grades higher by PFF last year in virtually every area.
    There is 1 thing. System. And... he was a 1st round stud out of UT-Austin & Pennel was an UDFA. Not that that means everything but then again neither do PFF grades for ONE year. But Brown has been the heart and soul of the run defense since '15 so he'll certainly be missed. But Belichick will make something work. Still see Pennel as more of a Shelton replacement than a Brown replacement.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Pennel is on a 2 year deal. They could still use Lawrence and he’s a good value pick at 32.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    There is 1 thing. System. And... he was a 1st round stud out of UT-Austin & Pennel was an UDFA. Not that that means everything but then again neither do PFF grades for ONE year. But Brown has been the heart and soul of the run defense since '15 so he'll certainly be missed. But Belichick will make something work. Still see Pennel as more of a Shelton replacement than a Brown replacement.
    Draft pick means absolutely nothing, they’re both guys who’ve been in the NFL for years, recent success and production matters infinitely more than how well a bunch of scouts graded Brown in 2015. Even by your standards using where a player was taken in the draft to compare players who’ve been in the NFL for several years is re ed.

Brown also wasn’t the “heart and soul” of the run defense last year. He was on the field for 44% of the snaps and his production has been on the decline for 3 years now. His PFF grade was 64.4 last year and Pennel’s was 87.1, there’s no possible argument that Brown is better than Pennel at this point.

Danny Shelton was only the field for 30% of the snaps. He was decent when he was on the field but there’s a reason no one has signed him yet. You’re assuming he was important just because he was a former top 10 pick even though he’s been a bust. If they wanted him back they could re sign him on a pretty cheap deal. Outside of Lawrence Guy the Patriots interior D-line was largely disappointing last year which is why Belichick has no interest in bringing back Brown or Shelton.

The Patriots tried signing Darius Philon after signing Pennel which makes it obvious that if they’re looking for anything else at D tackle it’s someone who can get interior pressure, not another run stuffer. Guy/Pennel is enough in terms of run stuffing.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Draft pick means absolutely nothing, they’re both guys who’ve been in the NFL for years, recent success and production matters infinitely more than how well a bunch of scouts graded Brown in 2015. Even by your standards using where a player was taken in the draft to compare players who’ve been in the NFL for several years is re ed.

Brown also wasn’t the “heart and soul” of the run defense last year. He was on the field for 44% of the snaps and his production has been on the decline for 3 years now. His PFF grade was 64.4 last year and Pennel’s was 87.1, there’s no possible argument that Brown is better than Pennel at this point.

Danny Shelton was only the field for 30% of the snaps. He was decent when he was on the field but there’s a reason no one has signed him yet. You’re assuming he was important just because he was a former top 10 pick even though he’s been a bust. If they wanted him back they could re sign him on a pretty cheap deal. Outside of Lawrence Guy the Patriots interior D-line was largely disappointing last year which is why Belichick has no interest in bringing back Brown or Shelton.

The Patriots tried signing Darius Philon after signing Pennel which makes it obvious that if they’re looking for anything else at D tackle it’s someone who can get interior pressure, not another run stuffer. Guy/Pennel is enough in terms of run stuffing.
    In general big DTs who don't get more than 2-3 sacks per year are low-demand, low-priced resources. You need about 4 of them to do the dirty work inside but they're all pretty replaceable as long as you have a good coach and scheme, which obviously the Patriots do and some teams don't.

Guy is the best at getting interior pressure (though he's nowhere near a pass rushing DT) so he stays, also because he's solid in the run game.

DE has long been another problem for the Pats, but it's never kept them from being in Super Bowls. They minimize that flaw with the Belichick Double-A Gap Blitz, where two LBs storm the QB in the middle and all the mediocre DEs have to do is play contain and not let the QB escape. It works perfectly because the Pats pay a lot of money to have a veteran elite group of DBs to disallow the quick pass most of the time. That sort of blitz has always been the Pats' ace in the hole, so to speak, whenever they need a stop in the worst way.

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count

English as a 1st language

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    boom. all but official (pending new contract agreement with clark)

now the seahawks have 21 and 29th overall picks. they're almost certain to take a DE at 21 at this point, or they might trade both and move up to take a stud of choice.

in the meantime, chiefs let justin houston and dee ford go but brought in a younger and more expensive talent.

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    boom. all but official (pending new contract agreement with clark)

now the seahawks have 21 and 29th overall picks. they're almost certain to take a DE at 21 at this point, or they might trade both and move up to take a stud of choice.

in the meantime, chiefs let justin houston and dee ford go but brought in a younger and more expensive talent.
    He's going Number 1 overall in your little negroid draft

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    He's going Number 1 overall in your little negroid draft
    you're a sad puppy

Thread Information