My Team
    New Orleans Saints
    Post Count
    Saints sign Malcom Brown 3 yr, 15 mil

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    Saints sign Malcom Brown 3 yr, 15 mil
    Good signing, maybe a tad overpaid but not by much. A complete non factor against the pass but as good of a run stuffer as they come.

Patriots need to restructure contracts to clear up some cap room or they’re going to be losing a lot of talent. IMO Brown was worth bringing back at this price.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Good signing, maybe a tad overpaid but not by much. A complete non factor against the pass but as good of a run stuffer as they come.

Patriots need to restructure contracts to clear up some cap room or they’re going to be losing a lot of talent. IMO Brown was worth bringing back at this price.
    well for a couple of years they benefited from brady only asking for half his actual value. now he counts 27 mil against the cap. i also wonder whats happening with gronk, cause thats 9 mil in the balance

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    so the giants dumped beckham for draft picks, signaling a rebuild, but then give soon to be 31 year old golden tate 23.5 guaranteed, essentially 2.5 guaranteed years

why... same baffling move as the raiders who dumped mack a season before trading for antonio brown and paying him

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Raiders just cut AJ McCarron and Jordy Nelson

no dead money from AJ (though we traded a 5th to get him), whereas cutting nelson costs us 1.8 mil

the mccarron pickup never made sense. i didnt mind the jordy signing, and he was about as good as crabtree without the headaches. but he was expendable when we brought in both AB and Tyrell Williams. though he could have been useful in the slot. seth roberts still on the roster, somehow. matt bonner of the raiders tbh. its just very clear that the raiders werent planning on gunning for AB until they got the price they did. because they already paid jordy's roster bonus for this year (the 1.8)...

we still had some cap room, so these cuts signal another move coming... there was speculation about them going after markus golden
    Last edited by spurraider21; 03-14-2019 at 04:27 PM.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    well for a couple of years they benefited from brady only asking for half his actual value. now he counts 27 mil against the cap. i also wonder whats happening with gronk, cause thats 9 mil in the balance
    I think they'll easily be able to extend Brady to lower his cap hit into the low 20s. IIRC giving him an extension with more guaranteed money can be structured to lower the cap hit.

I'd be surprised if they don't try to renegotiate Gronk's contract if he comes back. I'd rather see him retire then eat up what his current cap hit is.

Cutting Adrian Clayborn also saves $4 mil which seems like a no brainer move.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    I think they'll easily be able to extend Brady to lower his cap hit into the low 20s. IIRC giving him an extension with more guaranteed money can be structured to lower the cap hit.
    yeah the common move is to take a chunk of the salary he is owed, convert it to a signing bonus (so he still gets paid right away), but the amount of that bonus only counts against the cap in a prorated amount for the duration of the contract. so you take is 1/27, convert 20 of it to a signing bonus and extend him out for a total of 3 years. so for this year, his salary is only 7 mil, while that 20 mil bonus (for cap purposes) is spread among the 3 years of the extension, so roughly 7 mil each year, bringing his cap total for 2019 to 14 mil. the rest of the extension terms are up to them, as far as base salary for the added years

I'd be surprised if they don't try to renegotiate Gronk's contract if he comes back. I'd rather see him retire then eat up what his current cap hit is.
    yeah, i doubt he fetches that much on the market. he already made it clear last year he really wants to play for NE and nobody else, so he's not gonna have leverage besides the threat of retirement

Cutting Adrian Clayborn also saves $4 mil which seems like a no brainer move.
    they're losing a lot of depth up front as it is, though

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    so the giants dumped beckham for draft picks, signaling a rebuild, but then give soon to be 31 year old golden tate 23.5 guaranteed, essentially 2.5 guaranteed years

why... same baffling move as the raiders who dumped mack a season before trading for antonio brown and paying him
    I wanted the Patriots to get Tate, but not at that price

I don't understand how Leveon failed to cash in when every other free agent this year is able to.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    they're losing a lot of depth up front as it is, though
    Draft is loaded with front 7 depth this year though, and a good 3rd round pick would be able to duplicate (or probably surpass) Clayborn's extremely underwhelming production.

Fortunately they have a few big positions of need (WR/TE & front 7) but outside of that they're pretty set everywhere else.

I think receiver is the only position they need to address in free agency but that'll be tough with the cap room they have.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Hunt gets 8 games... Zeke 6 on nothing.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Draft is loaded with front 7 depth this year though, and a good 3rd round pick would be able to duplicate (or probably surpass) Clayborn's extremely underwhelming production.

Fortunately they have a few big positions of need (WR/TE & front 7) but outside of that they're pretty set everywhere else.

I think receiver is the only position they need to address in free agency but that'll be tough with the cap room they have.
    pats cut clayborne. i think raiders need to take a look. they only have 1 DE on the roster right now and its Arden Key coming off a rookie season

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    pats cut clayborne. i think raiders need to take a look. they only have 1 DE on the roster right now and its Arden Key coming off a rookie season
    He’s not even close to an every down player, situational pass rusher at best, he was a healthy scratch for the last 3 regular season games.

Patriots are equally ed at defensive end right now. Deatrich Wise (who shouldn’t be an every down player) and that’s pretty much it, but that didn’t stop them from cutting Clayborn.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    He’s not even close to an every down player, situational pass rusher at best, he was a healthy scratch for the last 3 regular season games.

Patriots are equally ed at defensive end right now. Deatrich Wise (who shouldn’t be an every down player) and that’s pretty much it, but that didn’t stop them from cutting Clayborn.
    at his salary, sure. i still think he's roster worthy. and our roster right now only has 1 DE

luckily we have 4 picks in the top 35. but knowing gruden we will probably draft a running back and TE somewhere

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    also, ans just traded for tannehill. weird

best case scenario is Cards draft Kyler Murray #1 overall and dolphins trade up into the top 3 to take Haskins or something. leave more players for us at #4. assuming murray goes #1, we're already guaranteed to land one of bosa/williams/allen

one of the dolphins/giants should be trading for josh rosen imho

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    at his salary, sure. i still think he's roster worthy. and our roster right now only has 1 DE

luckily we have 4 picks in the top 35. but knowing gruden we will probably draft a running back and TE somewhere
    Fortunately the draft is probably deeper at DE than any other position this year so I’m guessing NE/Oak are hoping to completely retool at the position.

Patriots are supposedly closing on a deal with darius Philon, which should be enough to replace the production they had at D tackle with the depth players they agreed with yesterday.

Patriots basically have 6 needs to fill, a reserve tackle who’s also a contingency plan if Wynn doesn’t work, a young every down tight end, two receivers and two defensive ends.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    After all this time, every offseason is still the same string of "HEY BILL, WHAT THE ?????" baffling decisions, but then it all works out honestly, the few times I've been happy with a Patriots offseason, it was followed by an underachieving season.
    IMO it's actually making sense to me what he's doing. The two positions (WR/DE) that are big WTFs right now are both positions he can add to through the draft this year so he wasn't going to break the bank for them in free agency.

He also made some underrated signings yesterday. Mike Pennel is an upgrade over Malcom Brown for less money, the coverage issues on special teams are largely fixed with Brooks & Bolden, and LaCosse can do what useless Dwayne Allen did for less money. If they can sign Philon then their interior D-line is the best it's been since probably 2014.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    Allen was a complete bust as a receiving tight end, but tbh he was a fantastic blocker who helped open up the running game a ton. Patriots going big with Allen & Gronk was basically like running with 7 offensive linemen on the field.

Really glad they didn't go for Golden Tate, that guy looked like he lost a step all year. Also happy they let spare ass Patterson and his 5-6 gimmick plays that almost never work go somewhere else. They need a receiver badly but so far they've played it smart not overpaying with Tate or Odell. I still have no clue what they are gonna do there, a rookie receiver either won't play much, or will play too much and drive Brady insane. And no way in can they go into next season with Hogan or Dorsett as their #2. Gordon could be playing next season, but clearly he can't ever be trusted in any way beyond a week to week basis.
    I'd like to see them take a flyer on Demaryius if no one else is making an offer right now. Jordy Nelson also has what Belichick likes the most in receivers (whiteness) and he's available.

As ed as they are at receiver, there isn't any contract a big name or semi-big name receiver got in free agency this year that I'd be OK with the Patriots giving out. I'd much rather them draft a few and take a flyer on guys like Thomas/Nelson and see how it plays out in training camp.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    I'd like to see them take a flyer on Demaryius if no one else is making an offer right now. Jordy Nelson also has what Belichick likes the most in receivers (whiteness) and he's available.

As ed as they are at receiver, there isn't any contract a big name or semi-big name receiver got in free agency this year that I'd be OK with the Patriots giving out. I'd much rather them draft a few and take a flyer on guys like Thomas/Nelson and see how it plays out in training camp.
    DeMaryius is going to be suspended for his DUI which injured some chick in his car. Jordy Nelson is a no brainer, though, especially if they're not bringing back Hogan.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    nelson would be nice. he's not taking the top off defenses anymore, but that hasnt exactly been Brady's MO recently anyway. he still has great hands

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    nelson would be nice. he's not taking the top off defenses anymore, but that hasnt exactly been Brady's MO recently anyway. he still has great hands
    Yep. But Hogan's hands were criminally underrated, too. One of the most low-key huge plays in the championship game was Hogan's extremely tough diving catch in traffic on 3rd & 8 with the Pats losing about 2/3 of the way through the 4th quarter, shy of midfield. If he doesn't come down with it, the Pats likely punt and the Chiefs likely score again and put the game out of reach.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Yep. But Hogan's hands were criminally underrated, too. One of the most low-key huge plays in the championship game was Hogan's extremely tough diving catch in traffic on 3rd & 8 with the Pats losing about 2/3 of the way through the 4th quarter, shy of midfield. If he doesn't come down with it, the Pats likely punt and the Chiefs likely score again and put the game out of reach.
    nelson's ability to make tough catches on the boundary already makes him a more valuable version of hogan. and he's bigger, so he has red zone value

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    nelson's ability to make tough catches on the boundary already makes him a more valuable version of hogan. and he's bigger, so he has red zone value
    This. Nelson would basically be an upgraded version of Hogan at the least. Nelson is by no means an ironman but he's also not the injury risk Hogan is.

Nelson + someone for depth in the slot in case Edelman slows down or gets injured/suspended again would be fine in addition to what they already have, but they do need to draft a young tight end early in the draft either way.

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    7+ pages discussing where some black guys are gonna live next year. Who cares

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    This. Nelson would basically be an upgraded version of Hogan at the least. Nelson is by no means an ironman but he's also not the injury risk Hogan is.

Nelson + someone for depth in the slot in case Edelman slows down or gets injured/suspended again would be fine in addition to what they already have, but they do need to draft a young tight end early in the draft either way.
    I think they should keep Hogan AND sign Nelson, that would give Brady a quality enough core 3 (Nelson and Hogan outside + Edelman in the slot) + Phillip Dorsett who could play outside or slot if they absolutely need more speed at some point.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Martellus staying retired

Thread Information