Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    I'm also glad they nixed the 4th & 15 "onside conversion" proposal. That gives such an unfair advantage to passing teams with the very best QBs even if they're not as good elsewhere (i.e. running game/defense/special teams). Green Gay, Chiefs, Colts, Saints, possibly Patriots get an unfair ace in the hole and quality teams like the Cowboys, Seahawks and Bears reap no benefit.

And think of all the penalties, automatic first downs? Especially now that they're reviewable? Good on the league and Goodell for axing this one.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    marshall would we nice, as long as he's past his injuries from last season. crow-show just means they dont plan on waiting around for lynch. i still suspect they draft a running back

Believe.
    Post Count
    This Murray/Rosen thing is totally unique. I see a sad ending for the Cards, there is just something not right with Murray.

Joe Klatt is the NCAA football guru, the guy knows the college game.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Cowboys land Robert Quinn to replace Randy Gregory who's suspended for 1-2 years at least. Wonder if they'll give Quinn Gregory's number? Quinn has worn 94 his entire career & Gregory doesn't deserve it.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Schiano resigned from Pats.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    raiders signed crowell and brandon marshall to 1 year deals, as expected

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    Schiano resigned from Pats.
    Potential blessing in disguise.

Not sure who’s running the defense now.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Potential blessing in disguise.

Not sure who’s running the defense now.
    DEFINITELY a blessing, not sure about disguise though. Dude was a laughingstock wherever he went. Even more so than either of the Ryan fatass brothers.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    now that free agency dieded, just impatiently waiting for the draft. gonna be fun with us having 3 first round picks this year

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    now that free agency dieded, just impatiently waiting for the draft. gonna be fun with us having 3 first round picks this year
    I'll probably sleep early that thursday nite

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    San Diego Chargers
    Post Count
    DEFINITELY a blessing, not sure about disguise though. Dude was a laughingstock wherever he went. Even more so than either of the Ryan fatass brothers.
    rofl wasn't he the guy who tried to "innovate" sacking the quarterback on kneel down plays but immediately stopped after like two games once other teams were taking cheap shots on his own quarterback?

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    rofl wasn't he the guy who tried to "innovate" sacking the quarterback on kneel down plays but immediately stopped after like two games once other teams were taking cheap shots on his own quarterback?
    I wouldn't doubt it. There's also this epic gem:

https://www.sbnation.com/2013/10/23/...reaking-madden

In the Spring of 2013, Schiano came out with this (only to cut him a few games into the season):

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...-freemans-team

There's also a somewhat-believable rumor out there that Schiano purposefully installed MRSA into his own team's locker room in Summer 2013 so it would spread thru the players and save him his job for at least another year. It partially worked. The team started 0-9 that year.

This guy is a freakin' lunatic that should be nowhere near an NFL team.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    while i dont think it would be in the raiders best interest to take a QB this year... i've come to really like what i've seen from Haskins. he reminds me quite a bit of carson palmer. though big armed, tall, fat, black qb will always remind me of jawalrus, haskins is a more prolific passer. haskins only started 1 season, so he'd be a good draft pick for a team that wants to sit him a year (could be the raiders... i think giants are a perfect fit)

kyler murray is so electric though. he has great zip on his throws which you dont expect from a guy with his stature, and he's actually remarkably accurate too. his mobility is top tier, too. but its always concerning drafting a guy who's effectiveness is predicated on athletic ability, and especially for a small guy who can't take punishment like cam/ben/mcnair/mcnabb. 5'10 is also really, really small. and while the NFL has become more of a college esque passing league, NFL offenses are still not as wide open as college ones, linemen are bigger and taller, and the height is a legit concern. the best player to point to for him would be russell wilson, though murray is a more dynamic runner. wilson played in a pro style offense at wisconsin though, and that really helped him be effective early on in the NFL. murray has more of a learning curve ahead of him. lamar jackson comparisons are very unfair though.

like haskins, murray only started 1 season.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    i'm not crazy about josh allen either... i think he's going to be a good player, but he's really an off-ball linebacker with pass rush ability... more so than an every down edge rusher type. he doesnt really have good pass rushing moves. he has great get-off and got a lot of his sacks just by running around slow college tackles, and a good amount of his sacks were actually plays he was unblocked and his great athletic traits got him there quickly. he's also pretty good in coverage, which is needed from today's linebacker.

but as a top 5 pick you're not really looking for an off-ball linebacker... you're looking for the von miller type who's going to whip NFL tackles and hold up in the run against them too. i dont think allen is that. but if the top 3 picks are Murray/Bosa/Quinnen, i still think you have to take him there. i just think quinnen/bosa are the best players in the draft and then allen is firmly a tier below.
    Last edited by spurraider21; 04-10-2019 at 04:39 PM.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    i'm not crazy about josh allen either... i think he's going to be a good player, but he's really an off-ball linebacker with pass rush ability... more so than an every down edge rusher type. he doesnt really have good pass rushing moves. he has great get-off and got a lot of his sacks just by running around slow college tackles, and a good amount of his sacks were actually plays he was unblocked and his great athletic traits got him there quickly. he's also pretty good in coverage, which is needed from today's linebacker.

but as a top 5 pick you're not really looking for an off-ball linebacker... you're looking for the von miller type who's going to whip NFL tackles and hold up in the run against them too. i dont think allen is that. but if the top 3 picks are Murray/Bosa/Quinnen, i still think you have to take him there. i just think quinnen/bosa are the best players in the draft and then allen is firmly a tier below.
    so you're saying Allen is an Anthony Barr/Donta Hightower type clone?

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    He’s more explosive/athletic than barr. Better coverage guy. I think Barr was a bit more polished coming out. allen doesnt seem to have real pass rush moves at this point, which barr did

but yeah I’d compare them positionally. Since the jets tried signing Barr pretty aggressively (he agrees then reneged), i could see them taking him #3 overall over quinnen
    Last edited by spurraider21; 04-11-2019 at 11:04 AM.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    He’s more explosive/athletic than barr. Better coverage guy. I think Barr was a bit more polished coming out. allen doesnt seem to have real pass rush moves at this point, which barr did

but yeah I’d compare them positionally. Since the jets tried signing Barr pretty aggressively (he agrees then reneged), i could see them taking him #3 overall over quinnen
    So he's basically a Jack linebacker. Guy who is a general OLB who can play in either a 4-3 or 3-4 and isn't top tier at anything, but can do all 3 things fairly competently enough (run stuff, pass rush and coverage) to get by.

This is the kind of guy who is best served ACROSS from an elite 3-4 edge rusher like Von Miller or Khalil Mack. Miller/Mack is going to be an every-down rusher whereas the Jack position is likely to short cover on base downs, and then could line up on-ball (pass rushing) or off-ball (coverage/spy) when the defense moves to nickel.

Personally that type of player is a premium chess piece due to versatility and is almost a must have if you want to build a great defense. They're fairly hard to find, too. Seattle's LOB had one in Bruce Irvin but let him get away and were never the same after that... just an example.

I'm not sure Quinnen Williams is going to be an elite DT in the NFL. He's way too undersized to be a 3-4 NT, too undersized to be a 4-3 1DT and doesn't have near the Aaron Donald speed/athleticism to make up for that and be an elite 4-3 3DT or 3-4 ODE. Donald ran a 4.68. QWilliams' best position is probably a 3-4 IDE (possibly the sub package DT, but in base mostly a two-gap position) but he's going to have to do something about that size/speed combo to be great in the NFL. Either he needs to bulk up and be a fortress against the run or trim down and try to become a pass rusher in the Aaron Donald mold. But 6'4" 298 with a 4.83 40 yard dash is a tweener. That probably won't be effective in the NFL.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    i wouldn't say he's "not top tier at anything" just because he's an exceptional athlete. he's bound to shine because of his range. i think you could see him as a barr/jaylon smith hybrid. he has great speed/range but can also pass rush.

i think he's gonna be really good. i just think teams would be mistaken to draft him thinking he's gonna be von miller/vic beasley or that role generally

but who knows maybe im wrong and he becomes a sack master. its just my take from what i've seen, as he's one of the guys the raiders will be considering at that spot
    Last edited by spurraider21; 04-11-2019 at 12:57 PM.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    i wouldn't say he's "not top tier at anything" just because he's an exceptional athlete. he's bound to shine because of his range. i think you could see him as a barr/jaylon smith hybrid. he has great speed/range but can also pass rush.

i think he's gonna be really good. i just think teams would be mistaken to draft him thinking he's gonna be von miller/vic beasley or that role generally

but who knows maybe im wrong and he becomes a sack master. its just my take from what i've seen, as he's one of the guys the raiders will be considering at that spot
    If they wanted to the Raiders could give up the Dallas pick and get Bosa.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    If they wanted to the Raiders could give up the Dallas pick and get Bosa.
    i dont think they should move up from 4. if bosa/quinnen are both off the board, i would even entertain a trade back to a team that really wants allen or haskins. trade back a handful of spots and take the best DE there... sweat or gary. or even devin white at MLB if he's on the board.

i think if they want to move up they should just trade 2 of their other picks (24, 27, and 35) to get a higher first round pick. i also wouldn't oppose trading back further. this team has a lot of holes... the more picks the merrier.

dream scenario is having one of bosa/williams fall to 4, have clelin ferrel slip to 24, and then take a CB like Greedy/Baker/Ya Sin at 27. then i think they should consider josh jacobs at 35

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    i dont think they should move up from 4. if bosa/quinnen are both off the board, i would even entertain a trade back to a team that really wants allen or haskins. trade back a handful of spots and take the best DE there... sweat or gary. or even devin white at MLB if he's on the board.

i think if they want to move up they should just trade 2 of their other picks (24, 27, and 35) to get a higher first round pick. i also wouldn't oppose trading back further. this team has a lot of holes... the more picks the merrier.

dream scenario is having one of bosa/williams fall to 4, have clelin ferrel slip to 24, and then take a CB like Greedy/Baker/Ya Sin at 27. then i think they should consider josh jacobs at 35
    This year's draft class is 2 rounds deep of red chip talent (especially on defense) if you're not overly excited about blue chippers like Bosa and don't think Allen is a blue chipper. The Raiders can probably have up to 6 top 35 picks if they wanted to make some trade downs, which is probably best for their franchise if Gruden will allow that. They have a terrible roster currently and need a ton of upgrades everywhere. Maybe they can spend a late first round pick on Jeffrey Simmons who was a blue chip talent before the injury.

And yes, if some team like Miami comes calling for a trade up for Haskins, by all means take their 1st, 2nd, and 1st next year. But if you're trading down from 4, ideally you want 2 current year firsts. Haskins has bust potential written all over.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    This year's draft class is 2 rounds deep of red chip talent (especially on defense) if you're not overly excited about blue chippers like Bosa and don't think Allen is a blue chipper. The Raiders can probably have up to 6 top 35 picks if they wanted to make some trade downs, which is probably best for their franchise if Gruden will allow that. They have a terrible roster currently and need a ton of upgrades everywhere. Maybe they can spend a late first round pick on Jeffrey Simmons who was a blue chip talent before the injury.

And yes, if some team like Miami comes calling for a trade up for Haskins, by all means take their 1st, 2nd, and 1st next year. But if you're trading down from 4, ideally you want 2 current year firsts. Haskins has bust potential written all over.
    its very unusual for a team to have 2 current year firsts.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    its very unusual for a team to have 2 current year firsts.
    Didn't the Colts do it last year with somebody?

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    i dont frequent The Root but this came up when i ran a search on Nick Bosa today

https://www.theroot.com/maga-loving-...ros-1833975768

Thread Information