Page 187 of 397 FirstFirst ... 87137177183184185186187188189190191197237287 ... LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,675 of 9906
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Link to players who have said this.
    And under what coach.
    I really would like to know.
    I've known college football players from the 80's and early 90's that have told me about the 100 dollar hand shakes. Not just at Texas but at places like Clemson, Louisiana tech, Utah, A&M, and Texas state. The Texas guys were under McWilliams and Mackovic.

Don't kid yourself, this stuff doesn't happen by the big guys like Red, it is the small guys with lots of money and the need to stroke their ego by hanging with football players at mixers. Think about it.

I worked with a guy that played linebacker at Notre Dame, he never made it in the NFL, but he told me that he would go to these after game mixers and if he made a big tackle he knew he was going to have guys handing him hundreds of dollars. He said one game he made several big plays and that night he got over $4800 just from congrats by alumni.

If you don't think those things happen at Texas, you are fooling yourself.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I've known college football players from the 80's and early 90's that have told me about the 100 dollar hand shakes. Not just at Texas but at places like Clemson, Louisiana tech, Utah, A&M, and Texas state. The Texas guys were under McWilliams and Mackovic.

Don't kid yourself, this stuff doesn't happen by the big guys like Red, it is the small guys with lots of money and the need to stroke their ego by hanging with football players at mixers. Think about it.

I worked with a guy that played linebacker at Notre Dame, he never made it in the NFL, but he told me that he would go to these after game mixers and if he made a big tackle he knew he was going to have guys handing him hundreds of dollars. He said one game he made several big plays and that night he got over $4800 just from congrats by alumni.

If you don't think those things happen at Texas, you are fooling yourself.
    I want it on record. Not anecdotal.
    Come out and say who did when, where, why, how much etc...
    Also I thought they implemented rules about these events that got alumni and kids together.
    So when this happens now, I want it up for all to see. Not just I know a guy who told me... There is a ton of bragging and embellishment that goes on in sports. From athletes as well.

And yes I believe it. I just want it talked about and written up if possible. The Straight dope. We stand behind the story. Because if we do need to cheat on the level of some of these SEC (Mississippi etc...) schools, I’m out.

The dream for me is someday we have a squad of good players that are better at other things win a national championship and turn down an NFL that has turned unpopular and less lucrative than a job not involving entertainment. I will most likely die before this happens. The sun will probably have enveloped the Earth before anything like this happens.

so yeah...

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I want it on record. Not anecdotal.
    Come out and say who did when, where, why, how much etc...
    Also I thought they implemented rules about these events that got alumni and kids together.
    So when this happens now, I want it up for all to see. Not just I know a guy who told me... There is a ton of bragging and embellishment that goes on in sports. From athletes as well.

And yes I believe it. I just want it talked about and written up if possible. The Straight dope. We stand behind the story. Because if we do need to cheat on the level of some of these SEC (Mississippi etc...) schools, I’m out.

The dream for me is someday we have a squad of good players that are better at other things win a national championship and turn down an NFL that has turned unpopular and less lucrative than a job not involving entertainment. I will most likely die before this happens. The sun will probably have enveloped the Earth before anything like this happens.

so yeah...
    I'm sorry but these are guys I'm friends with on Facebook. I'm not going to use their names in a forum like this. Here is one I will use because I no longer have any connection with him. Ed Cunningham told me all about the money he got at these functions. Just the stories Chris Pryor has told me about his recruitment could have filled a book.

I appreciate your wanting to protect the integrity of the University, but It happened 30 years ago, and it still happens now.

Here is what I will tell you.

1 was a RB at Texas
    2 were WRs at Texas
    1 was a TE at Texas
    1 was a DB at Texas
    1 was a safety at BYU
    2 played LB at Louisiana Tech
    1 played C at SWT
    1 played DB at SMU/Tulane
    1 played DB at SMU/LSU
    1 played LB at Tech
    1 played LB at ND

They all have the same story.
    Last edited by Vito Corleone; 08-05-2019 at 01:45 AM.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Thanks.

I remember that now.
    We gave him he did not deserve imo.
    I think he was y but the fans treated him very poorly.
    He was a kid at that time.

So he has good reason to tell on our "boosters" or lie.
    Priest Holmes and Ricky Williams both had matching decked out SUVs - leather, sun roof, etc while at UT.

Ricky played minor league baseball. He earned hundreds of thousands of dollars in college.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Ricky played minor league baseball. He earned hundreds of thousands of dollars in college.
    Sure, single a players are paid a lot.

Keep in mind, $100 hand shakes are not the same as buying recruits. Yes, I know we have Alum giving out the $100 hand shakes. What we don't have is Alumni sending recruits envelopes with Thousands of dollars in order to get their services.

I'm not saying we should, I'm just saying that we need to get used to losing top level recruits because schools in the SEC are paying recruits like they were NFL free Agents if we don't accept that the rules aren't being enforced.
    from bits and pieces over the years, I'd say this is about right. Not saying we've never, ever bought any recruits, because that's just a little too orange-tinted a viewpoint. But I agree that by and large we simply don't operate that way.
    Yet, also tend toward the notion that we at least---some boosters, some way, some time--have given the ol' "buddy handshakes" that are more than a nice word.
    Seems to be human nature in this game. Football, even at the college level, from way back, has had all kinds of 'games' going on behind the scenes.

I do believe that if Texas were to play that game like some schools, say in the SEC, do, we'd be a total powerhouse and sometimes unstoppable.
    I'm not advocating this: try the best we can to do it reasonably straight up and true and see what happens. However, if the landscape becomes too impure to compete effectively, then I am not necessarily closing the door on doing things like some of those other schools.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Sure, single a players are paid a lot.
    If I remember right, Ricky signed a really good contract. It's not like he was drafted in the 184 round or something like that, according to WIKI he was an 8th round draft pick.

from bits and pieces over the years, I'd say this is about right. Not saying we've never, ever bought any recruits, because that's just a little too orange-tinted a viewpoint. But I agree that by and large we simply don't operate that way.
    Yet, also tend toward the notion that we at least---some boosters, some way, some time--have given the ol' "buddy handshakes" that are more than a nice word.
    Seems to be human nature in this game. Football, even at the college level, from way back, has had all kinds of 'games' going on behind the scenes.

I do believe that if Texas were to play that game like some schools, say in the SEC, do, we'd be a total powerhouse and sometimes unstoppable.
    I'm not advocating this: try the best we can to do it reasonably straight up and true and see what happens. However, if the landscape becomes too impure to compete effectively, then I am not necessarily closing the door on doing things like some of those other schools.
    The argument about cheating being accepted in the SEC is based on the fact the schools are so demographically similar and so closely located to each other. For many kids, going to school at Tennessee is no different than UGA, Fla, Auburn, etc. The schools have have different traditions, but they unquestioningly are of a monolithic culture. In order to get athletics recruits to choose one of three (or more) essentially identical options, money is introduced into the equation.

Not all schools are essentially indistinguishable from almost every other school in their conference. Texas is sufficiently different from A&M, OU, Baylor, Tech, etc, that Texas doesn't necessarily have to cheat, or cut corners in other manners. My argument has long been that A&M's differentiators act as a negative in recruiting, and therefore A&M has long had to offer indu ents such as money, not having to attend classes, no drug testing, no suspensions for arrests, etc.

There unquestionably have been some overzealous UT boosters in the past, but the differentiators of the UT Austin athletics programs are sufficient enough to sway most student-athletes who would fit well within the UT culture. If they don't get "it" and essentially want to be paid from Day 1 at UT, they are going to be more drama than they will ever be worth, and won't fit in on the UT campus.

Onward, through the fog Juan Grande's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Priest Holmes and Ricky Williams both had matching decked out SUVs - leather, sun roof, etc while at UT.
    I remember the Campbell brothers driving around in an old beater. Total junk. Might not have even been street legal.

The argument about cheating being accepted in the SEC is based on the fact the schools are so demographically similar and so closely located to each other. For many kids, going to school at Tennessee is no different than UGA, Fla, Auburn, etc. The schools have have different traditions, but they unquestioningly are of a monolithic culture. In order to get athletics recruits to choose one of three (or more) essentially identical options, money is introduced into the equation.

Not all schools are essentially indistinguishable from almost every other school in their conference. Texas is sufficiently different from A&M, OU, Baylor, Tech, etc, that Texas doesn't necessarily have to cheat, or cut corners in other manners. My argument has long been that A&M's differentiators act as a negative in recruiting, and therefore A&M has long had to offer indu ents such as money, not having to attend classes, no drug testing, no suspensions for arrests, etc.

There unquestionably have been some overzealous UT boosters in the past, but the differentiators of the UT Austin athletics programs are sufficient enough to sway most student-athletes who would fit well within the UT culture. If they don't get "it" and essentially want to be paid from Day 1 at UT, they are going to be more drama than they will ever be worth, and won't fit in on the UT campus.
    Probably most accurate. I have no idea who gets what money but Randolph is an accounting/financial guru and understands the economics of college athletics and university endowments as much as anyone. Some of the stuff he puts on twitter makes it really easy for laymen to understand. As for players receiving improper benefits/handouts, $100 handshakes don’t amount to buying cars and houses for kids or their families.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

I agree 100%. I'm just saying that we have to accept the fact that other schools are doing it and know the NCAA will do nothing about it, so we are either going to have to follow suit or accept that we are going to lose recruits to schools who will offer recruits money.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    If I remember right, Ricky signed a really good contract. It's not like he was drafted in the 184 round or something like that, according to WIKI he was an 8th round draft pick.
    I believe he played in the minors before being drafted.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Thanks to all for the discussion because it needs to be discussed.
    For me anyway.

If this becomes a professional sport associated with a supposed ins ute of higher learning, disassociate the two.
    Have minor league football to get them ready for the NFL.
    If not, Im finished. I will follow the intramural flag football regular season at UT.

I hate hearing my Dad talk about Royal and Akers and kids on the O-line that majored in petroleum Engineering and were very good students.

For me anyway.

If this becomes a professional sport associated with a supposed ins ute of higher learning, disassociate the two.
    If not, Im finished. I will follow the intramural flag football regular season at UT.
    I hate hearing my Dad talk about Royal and Akers and kids on the O-line that majored in petroleum Engineering and were very good students.
    I'm at this point as well. If college football lurches toward being a semi-pro league, then I'm pretty much done. I still go to the AAA baseball games in Round Rock for the entertainment but I dont follow it very much. Another thing that will cause me to lose a lot of interest is if Texas joins a conference that is half way across the country. Having a few games within driving distance (not as many as when they were in the SWC) is a way to keep local fan interest. I'm too old to get on a plane to only go watch a game when OTOH I can cram a gaggle of kids into a car and go watch a D3 game (UMHB in Belton) and have a great time.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Per Inside Texas, they believe the chances of RB Ty Jordan of West Mesquite ending up in the class are as good as they've ever been with the UT staff really picking up their pursuit.

https://247sports.com/player/ty-jordan-46049893/

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    For me anyway.

that's why, for me, high school football and the tradition of friday night lights, is my personal apogee for football today. i don't even watch the NFL but for the rare occasion.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

https://247sports.com/Player/Brennon-Scott-46042133/

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    As of today, Inside Texas has the first team OL as:

Cosmi - Braun - Shack - Okafor - Kerstetter

Kerstter and Okafor are switching back and forth as RG and RT to find the best fit.

Angilau is second team OG.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

Thread Information