Page 269 of 397 FirstFirst ... 169219259265266267268269270271272273279319369 ... LastLast
Results 6,701 to 6,725 of 9906
    SS, I remember a discussion on the Longhorn Scout board a long time ago about a similar topic. Apparently, before 1953, players could be paid to play sports. aggy often did this and their 1939 team supposedly had paid players from south Texas but it wasnt illegal by the ncaa then. However, there was a court case in 1953 between a colorado player and a school (colorado st?) that centered around workman's comp. The player logically stated that if players can be paid (making them an employee), then a hurt player should receive workman's comp. There was even less money in sports back then (a lot less than there is today) and schools collectively were concerned that if the player wins the case and schools have to pay workman's comp (esp in football since football finances all the other sports), then virtually ALL athletic departments would be insolvent and would have to go back to being club sports or discontinue entirely. The ncaa came to the defense of the school and schools collectively pointing out the obvious consequence if the ruling supports the player. The ncaa argued that college sports was meant to be played by amateurs and first used the term "student-athlete." However tenuous the argument was at the time, the judge sided with the school(s) and ncaa and the student-athlete amateur status was adopted.

Before the Larry Scott cobbled the PAC12 together increasing revenues slightly for most of the conference schools, some PAC programs such as CAL were already on the brink of cutting some athletic teams in order to keep their athletic department solvent or acceptably in the red. If schools are determined to be responsible for any revenues funneled to athletes (esp schools sponsoring 30+ teams), then a lot of schools will have to turn 1/3 or more of their athletic departments into club sports. Should that happen anyway? maybe (yes) but I dont know. If players are determined to be employees or schools employers of the athletes, then a lot of things kick in such as workman's comp, taxes of all sorts, leave and family leave, on and on. That could throw athletic departments back over 70 yrs and into a tailspin. Is that a good thing? Do athletic departments need to cut the fat anyway?

I think people will realize the unintended consequence of attaching any revenue requirements to the schools themselves. AND, not just for P5 programs - ALL sports at ALL levels, including FCS, Div2, Div3, NAIA, etc. Or, if the revenue supporting schools and majority of school presidents agree, the ncaa can just say that players have the right to receive endorsements... but that doesnt mean they have a right to participate in the club (ncaa) if it violates club by-laws. Even as big as it is, I think legally the ncaa is still just a club and clubs can set their own rules and by-laws. the player can then choose to abide by the club rules or leave the club.
    In the pre-WWII era, individual conferences set the rules, not the NCAA. After WWII, there was a huge surge in popularity of college football and the disparity in what financial rewards scholarships afforded. Not surprisingly, the southern schools were very aggressive in financial offerings (some schools offered money for tuition, room, and board even to returning GI’s whose expenses were already being paid by the GI Bill). Relationships between northern and southern schools were somewhat distant as racial segregation in the south lead most northern teams to avoid scheduling southern teams, especially if the game was to be played in the south where black players were often not allowed. This divide also lead to competing national championship claims as top southern and top northern teams didn't often meet to help voters decide on a national champion.

In 1948, the northern schools were at a disadvantage and at that year's NCAA convention they proposed that the NCAA set the standards, not the individual conferences. That year, at the NCAA convention, the "Sanity Code" was agreed upon. It stated no athletic scholarships were allowed, but off-season jobs were allowed, as long as the pay was limited to NCAA standards.

At the 1952 NCAA convention, it was complained that seven schools (the "Sinful Seven"-Virginia, Maryland, V.M.I., V.P.I., The Citadel, Boston College and Villanova) were violating the Sanity Code by still offering scholarships. There was a vote taken to decide on a punishment, and that vote failed. Essentially the Sanity Code was dead and there were no rules for the next year.

At the 1953 convention, it was agreed scholarships would be allowed and rules regulating recruiting were established, to be administered under the au es of the NCAA. The west coast schools (Cal, UCLA, Washington, and USC) established slush funds to pay recruits added incentives under the table. The Big 10 schools adopted athletic scholarships grudgingly, pairing them with higher academic standards for recruits. This led to a period in the late 1950's where the Big 10 went from the country's toughest conference to being no better than any other. And off we were to the current era of college sports.

Workman’s comp had nothing to do with establishment of scholarships, recruiting rules, or the rise in power of the NCAA.

Last edited by Randolph Duke; 10-01-2019 at 01:34 PM.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    2022 ATH Kaden Saunders (Westerville, OH)

This kid visited UT earlier in the year, and has a connection to Coach Drayton.

https://247sports.com/Player/Kaden-Saunders-46081196/

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    UTSA in pretty bad shape right now.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

Workman’s comp had nothing to do with establishment of scholarships, recruiting rules, or the rise in power of the NCAA.
    I didnt say it did. you used a lot of words to miss the point completely

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    If y'all didn't know what rjv looks like.

That would have been me at the Steele-Clemens game last Friday. Staring down the officials.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    That would have been me at the Steele-Clemens game last Friday. Staring down the officials.
    I automatically thought of you, man.

Too funny.

In the pre-WWII era, individual conferences set the rules, not the NCAA. After WWII, there was a huge surge in popularity of college football and the disparity in what financial rewards scholarships afforded. Not surprisingly, the southern schools were very aggressive in financial offerings (some schools offered money for tuition, room, and board even to returning GI’s whose expenses were already being paid by the GI Bill). Relationships between northern and southern schools were somewhat distant as racial segregation in the south lead most northern teams to avoid scheduling southern teams, especially if the game was to be played in the south where black players were often not allowed. This divide also lead to competing national championship claims as top southern and top northern teams didn't often meet to help voters decide on a national champion.

In 1948, the northern schools were at a disadvantage and at that year's NCAA convention they proposed that the NCAA set the standards, not the individual conferences. That year, at the NCAA convention, the "Sanity Code" was agreed upon. It stated no athletic scholarships were allowed, but off-season jobs were allowed, as long as the pay was limited to NCAA standards.

At the 1952 NCAA convention, it was complained that seven schools (the "Sinful Seven"-Virginia, Maryland, V.M.I., V.P.I., The Citadel, Boston College and Villanova) were violating the Sanity Code by still offering scholarships. There was a vote taken to decide on a punishment, and that vote failed. Essentially the Sanity Code was dead and there were no rules for the next year.

At the 1953 convention, it was agreed scholarships would be allowed and rules regulating recruiting were established, to be administered under the au es of the NCAA. The west coast schools (Cal, UCLA, Washington, and USC) established slush funds to pay recruits added incentives under the table. The Big 10 schools adopted athletic scholarships grudgingly, pairing them with higher academic standards for recruits. This led to a period in the late 1950's where the Big 10 went from the country's toughest conference to being no better than any other. And off we were to the current era of college sports.

sounds like you've read some of the books I have, Randolph. At one time, i was pretty immersed in the pre and post WWII era goings-ons, then also enjoying seeing the trend changes to the one platoon game from about 1953-'64/65 era.
    It's fascinating to a college football fanatic like myself.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I automatically thought of you, man.

Too funny.
    Anything good from Donovan Jackson's recent articles from Rivals and Roach? Supposedly no mention of a&m and he didn't have anything positive to say after the Auburn game.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

Please never let him host one of our OL prospects.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Please never let him host one of our OL prospects.
    Definitely need to get him to Eddie V's or something.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

I've heard the justifications regarding these pay the football and basketball players on this side (I'm paraphrasing)... whereas everyone makes money except the players. I've seen athletes on TV over the last couple of days stating their case... the one thing that strikes me is that these kids chose to play... if you dont like not being paid then don't play... no one is making them play.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    This mess is not well thought out at all.

Players benefit off their likeness... ? So if my kid wants a Sam Ehlinger doll, tough luck to Derek Kerstetter ya big fat ugly Chipotle loving lineman.
    Damn right we dont know what it looks like. I dont like someone else making money off of Ehlinger either, but the potential mess starting in High School, is enormous. Just think about how Universities push Heisman candidates now... this could be absolutely off the charts nuts. UT having a major part of the athletic program pushing advertising for particular players. Or just rogue agents taking kids and parents aside and bidding among Universities for kids begins...
    Then they transfer after a successful year to a bigger market " Im taking my talents to USC, and I got a group of buddies from other schools gonna join me. We will start our own advertising company under the direction of The KingOfFootwork"

Im gone.

Please think this through.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Anything good from Donovan Jackson's recent articles from Rivals and Roach? Supposedly no mention of a&m and he didn't have anything positive to say after the Auburn game.
    Read like Ohio State and Texas are on top.

"The University of Texas, Coach (Tom) Herman and Coach (Herb) Hand reached out to me and I had a great conversation with them. I have a great relationship with the whole staff. They hit me up on midnight on the dot and said, 'Hey, what's up?' and basically started a conversation from there. Ten minutes later, Coach Herman sent me a long, lengthy paragraph about how much Texas wants me there and I appreciated that."

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Can y’all mother ers start a NCAA IS THE DEVIL THREAD? Cause it doesn’t start until 2023, there’s going to be lawsuits that reach the Supreme Court, and nobody gives a . Except maybe Randolph Duke.

Thread Information