Page 347 of 397 FirstFirst ... 247297337343344345346347348349350351357 ... LastLast
Results 8,651 to 8,675 of 9906
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I'm good with the Ash hire, he is a good DC who I think will get our defense to perform well, it helps he doesn't have a bunch of freshmen and sop re DBs to work with, he has a lot of returning starters and a lot of guys with excellent experience. I think our defense will perform much better as a 4-2-5 than the 3-3-5 we were running. We still need help at the WDE spot but all the other spots on the dline are pretty solid. I will be interested to see where Ta'Quon Graham ends up, I think he is a DT all the way, but I could see him as a SDE as well.

I'm not excited to see Vernon Broughton as a DT as well, he is going to be a total badass in this defense. Same with Keondre Coburn. The real key for me is Prince Dorbra as he is the perfect WDE. Of course I still want to get Alfred Collins who can also be a impact DE in this defense.

Hopefully we can pick up Collins and maybe flip a linebacker or two. I hold out hope

I've lost faith in Tom Herman, but this is his team and we shall see what is he can do. He has 2 seasons to get it done or he is gone.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Looks like RB Jase McClellan of Aledo is going to flip to Bama.

Not recruiting related but rumors prevalent that up to 8 OU players will be suspended for the LSU game (mostly starters).

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Not recruiting related but rumors prevalent that up to 8 OU players will be suspended for the LSU game (mostly starters).
    I guess they lose by 40 instead of 20?

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Something to keep in mind for the months ahead...Inside Texas believes Clemson will eventually offer 2021 OL James Brockermeyer.

https://247sports.com/Player/James-B...eyer-46059520/

I might have come around on the Ash hire. I think we all can agree that complete lack of fundamentals was what hurt the defense the most, followed closely by su ious play calling. Ash might be one of the best when it comes actual tackling fundamentals (the guy has released a movie called "Chris Ash: Tackling Fundamentals and Drills for Defensive Backs" for crying out loud). There are a plethora of extensive videos from coaching clinics with Ash and footage from practices at Wisconsin. Meyer continued to use his tackling techniques at tOSU after Ash left.

His focus on sound DB play might be exactly what Texas needs considering the amount DB's on the field at every play. I have some time these coming weeks, where I intent to find as much footage of his Wisconsin, Arkansas, Iowa State and Ohio State teams. As well as some of the 2018 Rutgers tape (according to one of the 247 national analysts who lives in NJ, said Ash took over defensive play calling in 2018 because the unit sucked, and the same mod said Rutgers showed massive improvements).

Obviously, the position coaches can make or break a coordinator, so he has to nail them as well. I know Larry Johnson of Ohio State has been mentioned as a potential DL coach. That would most certainly make a strong case for Ash, but there's like 0.1% chance that happens. I'd also be interested to see if this makes interim LB coach Jeremiah George a candidate for the LB job. Ash were recruiting coordinator for ISU the year George signed with ISU, so they obviously know each other. I have a feeling Ash will reach out to Paul Rhoads to get some insight to George.

It's actually kind of sad. I'm starting to get myself to like Ash as a coordinator and then Herman ends up sabotaging his own hire of Harrell (allegedly).
    enjoyed your take.
    someone I know who played at Texas and keeps up pretty well with some of the inner workings of the program noted a concern about Ash going to a "rugby-style" form of tackling after his Wisconsin stint, which according to the acquaintance isn't really the most sound way to tackle. That said, I think such concerns are unfounded considering how good the tOSU defenses were and, as you note, Ash's reputation and Meyer continuing to teach his methods.

Where are the rumors of the suspensions? Just curious so I can take more enjoyment of a pending sooner meltdown in these parts.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

Where are the rumors of the suspensions? Just curious so I can take more enjoyment of a pending sooner meltdown in these parts.

From the SoonerPoop website threads....it looks like it was weed based...but I'm just spreading rumors here!

wake me up when we've found somebody that Herman approves of to run whatever offense he believes would be best for his almost-out-of-eligibility qb. Casey Thompson will not be able to run the same system as Ehlinger. It turns to a K-State offense with a less-built qb. Why does it take 2 superstar qbs to make an offense work at UT (Vince and Colt)? This is wild. We may seriously go into our bowl game without an OC at this rate.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    On a somewhat positive note...

Blair Angulo (the Arizona/West guy for 24/7) says that 5-star CB Kelee Ringo isn't expected to sign until NSD2 in February.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Casey Thompson isn’t coming back. Come on.

Who are you thinking will have the qb reins for supposedly/maybe Hermans last year at HC? If our team is able to produce next year, unless we get a grad transfer, I'd expect Herman to be sitting on a scorching seat next year.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Per OrangeBloods, the entire class is expected to sign tomorrow.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    OrangeBloods along with several other sites have said that they are hearing Yurcich is getting some consideration for OC.

From Anwar:

Mike Yurcich (Passing Game Coordinator/Quarterbacks, Ohio State)

Photo via The Athletic

He was the offensive coordinator at Oklahoma State from 2013 to 2018. According to Yurcich’s bio, during his six years at Oklahoma State, the program ranked fifth nationally in passing yards per game (315.9), 11th in touchdown passes (179), seventh in total yards (478.6) and sixth in scoring (38.0). In the 2017 season, Mason Rudolph had 4,904 passing yards, 37 touchdowns and nine interceptions, James Washington and Marcell Ateman had over 1,000 yards receiving, while Justice Hill has over 1,000 yards rushing. In addition, Oklahoma State led the nation in passing (389.2 yards per game), was second in total offense (568.9) and ranked fourth in scoring (45.0).

Basically, that is the ideal balance Herman desires at Texas.

Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields has 2,953 passing yards, 40 touchdowns and only one interception this season (190.3 passer rating). Kevin Wilson is Ohio State’s offensive coordinator, but Yurcich impact on Fields is obvious. More importantly, Yurcich could become a coordinator again at Texas.

Right now, Ohio State is preparing to face Clemson in the college football playoffs on December 28.

Another name is Sean Gleeson (offensive coordinator/quarterbacks, Oklahoma State) and of course Applewhite.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

Who are you thinking will have the qb reins for supposedly/maybe Hermans last year at HC? If our team is able to produce next year, unless we get a grad transfer, I'd expect Herman to be sitting on a scorching seat next year.
    Uhhhhh.....Why do people keep expecting Casey Thompson to transfer when next season he's only gonna be a 3rd-year Sop re QB2 behind a senior All-conference QB? I don't see anybody passing up him up on the QB depth chart next season. So if Casey Thomson is gonna transfer, I expect it to happen until 2021 Spring Football or Fall Camp, if he doesn't win the QB1 job.
    Last edited by satam55; 12-18-2019 at 12:22 AM.

Uhhhhh.....Why do people keep expecting Casey Thompson to transfer when next season he's only gonna be a 3rd-year Sop re QB2 behind a senior All-conference QB. I don't see anybody passing up him up on the QB depth chart next season. So if Casey Thomson is gonna transfer, I expect it to happen after 2021 Spring Football or Fall Camp, if he doesn't win the QB1 job.
    I just think the dude needs to work on his arm strength and muscle build. He will not make it through a season at his current size the way Herman's offense is currently ran with Sam E. That was my thought...

Post Count
    Uhhhhh.....Why do people keep expecting Casey Thompson to transfer when next season he's only gonna be a 3rd-year Sop re QB2 behind a senior All-conference QB. I don't see anybody passing up him up on the QB depth chart next season. So if Casey Thomson is gonna transfer, I expect it to happen after 2021 Spring Football or Fall Camp, if he doesn't win the QB1 job.
    Well, I hope Casey doesn't transfer. Texas has 1 QB that has been moved to RB and 2 incoming QBs that both suffered injuries in their Sr. seasons. Both should be perfectly fine, but you never know.

enjoyed your take.
    someone I know who played at Texas and keeps up pretty well with some of the inner workings of the program noted a concern about Ash going to a "rugby-style" form of tackling after his Wisconsin stint, which according to the acquaintance isn't really the most sound way to tackle. That said, I think such concerns are unfounded considering how good the tOSU defenses were and, as you note, Ash's reputation and Meyer continuing to teach his methods.
    Any form of tackling being taught and executed would be better than what is going on now. Angles of pursuit, base, head up, breaking down, wrapping up, keeping blockers off your body, ect. Junior high stuff.
    Last edited by rogcl1; 12-18-2019 at 02:04 AM.

Any form of tackling being taught and executed would be better than what is going on now. Angles of pursuit, base, head up, breaking down, wrapping up, keeping blockers off your body, ect. Junior high stuff.
    And also as mentioned by others getting defensive backs to turn their heads back to the ball which of course allows them to make a play on the ball and also get away with things defensively because they are making a play on the ball. This is in my opinion an indictment of their previous coaching and of the UT coaching. I must say though that I did see some improvement in this area as the season went on.

A lot of this on defense now is not brain surgery. Its keeping things simple, busting your ass and being fundamentally sound. After that that other things can follow but not without that base.

And to with the 3 man front unless you have some bad ass personnel at the right places. Those people will shine just as much in a four man front. Just my thoughts.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Uhhhhh.....Why do people keep expecting Casey Thompson to transfer when next season he's only gonna be a 3rd-year Sop re QB2 behind a senior All-conference QB? I don't see anybody passing up him up on the QB depth chart next season. So if Casey Thomson is gonna transfer, I expect it to happen until 2021 Spring Football or Fall Camp, if he doesn't win the QB1 job.
    Same guy who told me last year that Casey was putting his name on the portal told me that he will do the same this year.

Thread Information