Page 397 of 397 FirstFirst ... 297347387393394395396397
Results 9,901 to 9,906 of 9906
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Don't you mean a 4-2-5 defense? In this day & age where everyone runs some type of spread offense, the 4-3 is basically a sub personnel package.
    If Overshown is now a linebacker a 4-3 is still basically a 4-2. It's all about where they line him up, as a 4-3 he is closer to the LOS in a base alignment that doesn't tip the offense what the defense is going to do while still having a guy that can drop into coverage. They can move him around before the snap into a 5th Db position and lose nothing. This isn't new, in 2005 we did the same thing with Drew Kelson, he was a linebacker that we used to cover TEs, RBs, and slot guys.

Pgardn mentioned something extremely important. there is going to be a learning curve for Overshown. The ability to play linebacker and knowing how to play linebacker are two very different things. How to read the offense, find the football, and taking on blocks are things he has never done before. Most linebackers have played the position for years starting in the 7th grade. They pride themselves on being linebackers because it's a hard nose position. It's one thing to know how to tackle, but it's something different to take on a linemen and still make the tackle. This isn't to say it can't be done, U of Miami was the pioneer of spinning down safeties into linebackers back when they were the football power.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Bimage, J. Jones, Vaughns, and possibly Warren will also help with pass rushing at DE. Bimage was disruptive in the Tech game when they finally lined him up a few times outside of the OT. Jones was a top pass rusher in JUCO. I can see Warren stepping up and working into the rotation as well.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I like Overshown as a side to side guy as an LB. If he can read a wide play or see a bounce outside that all the big 12 teams carry an appropriate RB for it would be great. These kinds of plays can lead to big losses. But we might not get to see as many blowup tackles with him seeing a lane from off the LOS and becoming a heat seeking missile. I just would like to see some drag down leg tackles for 8 yard losses because he can get there.

Its pie or 3.14... in the sky right now. We can dream in the off-season.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Inside Texas saying 2021 OL Bram Walden of Scottsdale, AZ will visit UT soon.

https://247sports.com/Player/Bram-Walden-46055225/

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I will have new thread open before 6.

I had the updated roster all typed out at lunch and lost it, so thanks for being patient.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

Thread Information