Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Today's NBA

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    Only looking at the boxscore, didn't watch the game. But the team shot 38% from three. Harden, Paul, Gordon, Green combined for 20-for-48, 42%. They won by double digits. On paper, looks like they executed a pretty good game plan. Analytically, when you shoot over 35% from three, certainly when you're closer to the 40% range, you should continue to shoot them. You SHOULD shoot a ton of them. It bears out to be statistically advantageous to do so.

The criticism of style of play with too many threes and not enough low post two point shots or mid-range shots should cool off some, especially when it's a team that wins with the strategy and is constructed that way. Now if the Rox shot 10-for-60, it deserves heavy criticism. A bad shooting team like the Knicks put up 60 threes, yeah, that's likely dumb. But they shot a good percentage and won by double digits. Not a WTF moment imo. It actually makes total sense. Again that's just looking at the boxscore.bi didn't see the game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If players actually played good defense, 60 3pt attemps should never, ever happen.

Todays NBA

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    If players actually played good defense, 60 3pt attemps should never, ever happen.

Todays NBA
    Players aren't allowed to play defense against the Rockets due to Frauden and CP0's flopping.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Only looking at the boxscore, didn't watch the game. But the team shot 38% from three. Harden, Paul, Gordon, Green combined for 20-for-48, 42%. They won by double digits. On paper, looks like they executed a pretty good game plan. Analytically, when you shoot over 35% from three, certainly when you're closer to the 40% range, you should continue to shoot them. You SHOULD shoot a ton of them. It bears out to be statistically advantageous to do so.

The criticism of style of play with too many threes and not enough low post two point shots or mid-range shots should cool off some, especially when it's a team that wins with the strategy and is constructed that way. Now if the Rox shot 10-for-60, it deserves heavy criticism. A bad shooting team like the Knicks put up 60 threes, yeah, that's likely dumb. But they shot a good percentage and won by double digits. Not a WTF moment imo. It actually makes total sense. Again that's just looking at the boxscore.bi didn't see the game.
    Didnt see much either and your argument makes sense ...
    But cant their be a balance?
    As you said they shot 38% which is a good number.
    But sometimes when you take them even if in the end you win can sometimes create the bad habits that lost them game 7 last year.
    IF the Rox shoot them no matter what because the numbers dictate that a 3 is the better shot analytically they will win a bunch of games ...
    but unfortunately that same strategy gonna cost them big games like the lead they just lost to OKC over the weekend too.

just this past weekedn we saw multiple 20 point leads lost by the rockets and Celts. Featuring all kinds of star players and a brilliant offensive coach and the next Pop (supposedly)
    Im all for 3's in the flow of a game with good ball movement ...
    but when 3 on 1's lead to a a missed 3 instead of a wide open layup ... that drives the coach in me crazy.
    I will take a layup anytime over a open three and especially over a contested one.

If the 3 comes off a penetration, or post and kick out or even early semi break and the lane is closed I am all for it.
    But shot selection is poor by a lot of teams but they are using teh 3's are better than a long two methodolgy to justify bad shots.
    A wide open mid-range or even long two by a capable shooter is better than a 3 by mediocre one ..i dont care what the numbers say.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    that literally has nearly nothing to do with it

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Players aren't allowed to play defense against the Rockets due to Frauden and CP0's flopping.
    Cry more.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Todays NBA
    Yes, players and teams are intentionally not playing defense, they haven't realized that they need to guard the 3-point line Jesus .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    running up the score, other team plays no lick of defense

hence padding stats where guys getting 5 5 5 or even triiple doubles these days is nothing exciting about

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Yes, players and teams are intentionally not playing defense, they haven't realized that they need to guard the 3-point line Jesus .
    Certaintly not physical defense. You hammer a shooter a couple times and they start flinching. That black playground style used to physical intimidate for example Euro players is gone and that's one reason you are seeing them flourish

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Certaintly not physical defense. You hammer a shooter a couple times and they start flinching. That black playground style used to physical intimidate for example Euro players is gone and that's one reason you are seeing them flourish
    That's not basketball, that's football..

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    That's not basketball, that's football..
    It has its place in every team sport
    I.e. throwing inside to get a hitter off the plate. All run the risk of Injuring your opponent

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    Three point attempts are easy to get and easy to take, even against good defense. Doesn’t matter if they’re world class athletes defending, it’s hard to stick to a player for 24 seconds especially if they’re constantly moving and getting screens to get open. It’s extremely difficult to not allow them to get at least a little shooting window every once in a while. I don’t care how physical you are. A well executed pick-and-roll should create a relatively good look from three like 90% of the time. And even if you do a pretty good job in the halfcourt, guys can still get open for threes in open court in transition when the defense is back pedaling and/or scrambling to mark a guy, off of offensive rebounds, and out of bounds plays with more screens and misdirections to open up shooters. A team can play great defense and the opposing team can still put up 60 threes up relatively easily if they really wanted to, espcially if that’s the style they play and they’re making them.

Knocking down a shooter a couple times as an intimidation tactic isn’t going to generally work, particularly against really good shooters. You think you’re going to intimidate Harden or Curry from taking more three attempts by just hitting them a few times on shots? If anything, you’re going to encourage them to keep shooting threes because they’re getting free points at the free throw line AND they’ll set you up with pump fakes and try to get four point plays out of your physical fouling. Physical intimidation is a futile strategy imo, against good shooters and good shooting teams anyway.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP must have missed that game where the Rox took 70 threes, then 68 more the next game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that literally has nearly nothing to do with it
    No reason to use literally there, as the suggestion of figurative speech was never implied.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Once the league decided to make the next Jordan and started to ref all perimeter players like they did Jordan, it was only a matter of time the game moves totally to the perimeter.

The set of defensive rules basically makes players unguardable for penetration, so players have to give room. Once there was room, people started to launch threes.

No more bruisers in the paint also means that once the initial defender is beat on the perimeter, it’s a highway to be basket, meaning that the perimeter defenders have to move back more to defend against the drive. Again. More room to launch.

Then finally, moving screens are more or less legal now. Making launching threes even easier.

The game has changed. It’s getting one dimensional and boring.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    No reason to use literally there, as the suggestion of figurative speech was never implied.
    neat

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's more that the entire league is headed towards 60+. Houston has done it twice, the Nets & Bucks have shot 55 a few times this season. A lot of them aren't generated from drive & kicks or good movement, they're just pulling up in transition or hoisting it off the dribble. I'm not against 3's, but jacking up 60+ regularly, which is looking inevitable, isn't great to watch.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    The entire league starting to shoot 60+ threes doesn’t look inevitable at all. Houston is the only team that averages even 40 three point attempts per game, much less 50 or 60. The average NBA team shoots 31 three point attempts per game. One third of the league doesn’t even average 30 attempts per. But every team is headed towards 60+? Citing a couple of games where teams took 50+ attempts doesn’t mean much. There will be games where teams get hot from distance and it makes sense to take that many, or against certain teams where that’s what the defense is giving them. And sure, sometimes sure it’s just a chuckfest.

Watchability is relative, subjective. Scoring is up, quick 20+ point swings and comebacks are not uncommon. We’re seeing 140 point scores every night. Some people find that more exciting and more watchable than slow, defensive, possession games with scores in the 80s, unselfish style or not, fundamentally beautiful or not. It’s Saints versus Jags. Watching enjoyment is relative. And more importantly, watchability is irrelevant as long as the style is successful. Spurs fans pre the “beautiful game” era didn’t give a if non Spurs fans found the Spurs style of play boring. I’m sure Bulls fans felt the same way about criticisms that Jordan was a one man isolation offense that ignored and diminished the value of team play. The Bad Boys Pistons for damn sure didn’t give a if their style of play wasn’t great to watch. Houston constructed their team to play a certain way. It may not win a championship, but they feel it’s their best chance at success. Your personal watchability isn’t their priority.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    The entire league starting to shoot 60+ threes doesn’t look inevitable at all. Houston is the only team that averages even 40 three point attempts per game, much less 50 or 60. The average NBA team shoots 31 three point attempts per game. One third of the league doesn’t even average 30 attempts per. But every team is headed towards 60+? Citing a couple of games where teams took 50+ attempts doesn’t mean much. There will be games where teams get hot from distance and it makes sense to take that many, or against certain teams where that’s what the defense is giving them. And sure, sometimes sure it’s just a chuckfest.

Watchability is relative, subjective. Scoring is up, quick 20+ point swings and comebacks are not uncommon. We’re seeing 140 point scores every night. Some people find that more exciting and more watchable than slow, defensive, possession games with scores in the 80s, unselfish style or not, fundamentally beautiful or not. It’s Saints versus Jags. Watching enjoyment is relative. And more importantly, watchability is irrelevant as long as the style is successful. Spurs fans pre the “beautiful game” era didn’t give a if non Spurs fans found the Spurs style of play boring. I’m sure Bulls fans felt the same way about criticisms that Jordan was a one man isolation offense that ignored and diminished the value of team play. The Bad Boys Pistons for damn sure didn’t give a if their style of play wasn’t great to watch. Houston constructed their team to play a certain way. It may not win a championship, but they feel it’s their best chance at success. Your personal watchability isn’t their priority.
    this

Thread Information