Page 12 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2nd and 3rd nobody out 6th inning.

Houston rookie sensation dude choked as did next batter.
    Cuba whiffs on full count, Gurriel pops out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate it to be honest. It's too easy to hit home runs. Makes the game like today's NBA and NFL when it comes to scoring. Basically it's all about walks and HRs just like the NBA is all about 3-point shooting and the NFL is about passing. Defense, contact hitting, base-running doesn't matter as much now. it.
    I think there's a perception that home runs are excessive because it's what highlights are centered around, but the increase per game hasn't been all that much, since a home run is actually a comparatively rare event. The current rate is 2.8 per 9 innings. In 1986, which was definitely a "speed and contact" era/year, the rate was 1.8 per 9. So we're seeing only one extra homer per game. The walk rates are the same. I think the event that needs reduction is strikeouts. In 1986, the rate was 10.8 per 9. Today, it's 17.6 per 9. That's 7 less balls in play that could lead to a great defensive play, game changing error, etc.

I'm in favor of the new ball if potentially reduces the strikeout rate. Pitchers will start naturally being more fearful in giving up homers, so they'll try to nibble/throw more out of the zone, which will lead to more positive hitter counts and more fastballs/meatballs. Hitters will likely swing more controlled, knowing they don't have to come out of their shoes in order to drive a ball.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think there's a perception that home runs are excessive because it's what highlights are centered around, but the increase per game hasn't been all that much, since a home run is actually a comparatively rare event. The current rate is 2.8 per 9 innings. In 1986, which was definitely a "speed and contact" era/year, the rate was 1.8 per 9. So we're seeing only one extra homer per game. The walk rates are the same. I think the event that needs reduction is strikeouts. In 1986, the rate was 10.8 per 9. Today, it's 17.6 per 9. That's 7 less balls in play that could lead to a great defensive play, game changing error, etc.

I'm in favor of the new ball if potentially reduces the strikeout rate. Pitchers will start naturally being more fearful in giving up homers, so they'll try to nibble/throw more out of the zone, which will lead to more positive hitter counts and more fastballs/meatballs. Hitters will likely swing more controlled, knowing they don't have to come out of their shoes in order to drive a ball.
    Naturally more K's is a byproduct of more HR's because hitters in general are much more aggressive and willing to swing at pretty much anything.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The MLB All Star weekend is just as bad as the NBA. They’re just so boring and senseless.

They should think about ending the practice imo.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think there's a perception that home runs are excessive because it's what highlights are centered around, but the increase per game hasn't been all that much, since a home run is actually a comparatively rare event. The current rate is 2.8 per 9 innings. In 1986, which was definitely a "speed and contact" era/year, the rate was 1.8 per 9.
    So, 162 more per team per year. That's quite a lot more. It's like the year the NBA moved the three a few feet closer and guys like Ewing became three shooters or the BS that led to too many threes ruining the game today. Back in 86, being a 30 HR hitter was a special thing; 40 HRs even more so. Nowadays, people don't even pay attention to that anymore.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...cid=spartanntp

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    The MLB All Star weekend is just as bad as the NBA. They’re just so boring and senseless.

They should think about ending the practice imo.
    I have only watched a few times in the past decade but O did catch home run derby last night

MLB all star game much like the sport still has a wholesome charm. You can sit down with your entire family and enjoy it. NBA lost any hope of that when they made a relationship with the Hip Hop community/culture in the early 2000s.

Father pitching to his son in the derby

Or

Random black celebrity sitting court side

All Star games

MLB - okay
    NFL - bad
    NBA - cringe

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, 162 more per team per year. That's quite a lot more. It's like the year the NBA moved the three a few feet closer and guys like Ewing became three shooters or the BS that led to too many threes ruining the game today. Back in 86, being a 30 HR hitter was a special thing; 40 HRs even more so. Nowadays, people don't even pay attention to that anymore.

Still not much on a per game basis, as I don't think anyone minds seeing an extra home run per game. I do hate the all or nothing approach some hitters, like Joey Gallo, have, though. And this era has made one dimensional players like him more valuable.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still not much on a per game basis, as I don't think anyone minds seeing an extra home run per game. I do hate the all or nothing approach some hitters, like Joey Gallo, have, though. And this era has made one dimensional players like him more valuable.
    One a game makes a pretty big difference, tbh. It was never 1-9 are HR threats before. The game had a much better cadence.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The AL is so stacked.

National League

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Joey Gallo

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The AL is so stacked.

National League
    Philles are the team that's mainly disappointed me this year TBH. I thought they were back to 2009/10 status dominance wise, but this time with more offense than pitching.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Alvarez homered twice already

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Easily the most incredible sports moment of the year:

Last edited by Clipper Nation; 07-13-2019 at 12:34 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Alvarez homered twice already
    Rangers won cuz

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Easily the most incredible sports moment of the year:

Pretty cool.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rangers won cuz
    Impressive how the Rangers have scratched and clawed themselves into the Wild Card race, since they don't have any notable players aside from Gallo, who's streaky. A 37 year old Korean has been their best all around player this season .

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Philles are the team that's mainly disappointed me this year TBH. I thought they were back to 2009/10 status dominance wise, but this time with more offense than pitching.
    Bad pitching, subpar hitting and they don't like the manager. Locker room is becoming toxic. Looks like the Nationals will likely finish 2nd

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bad pitching, subpar hitting and they don't like the manager. Locker room is becoming toxic. Looks like the Nationals will likely finish 2nd
    Yeah, GK is trash and needs to go before anything else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Impressive how the Rangers have scratched and clawed themselves into the Wild Card race, since they don't have any notable players aside from Gallo, who's streaky. A 37 year old Korean has been their best all around player this season .
    It's been exciting to watch for sure. Our bullpen always makes it interesting.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Red Sox at least making pitching moves.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Baseball going full re ; well maybe only part re at this point.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They need to shut down Sale. He is completely useless. Holy ing .

I'd trade him at this point.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count

Thread Information