Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never saw Murray display anything close to White's court vision last year. To me, they're two completely different players.

The Spurs can have more than one point guard, especially considering one is all they have this year and it sucks not having the reliable backup for White. Mills is a shooting guard trapped in a point guard's body.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jesus I've never seen a fan base pit their own players against each other. I think the Parker vs Manu era was just silly fun for the most part but continuing it with Murray and white is just dumb.

I can't imagine watching a Spurs game and rooting against my own players smh.

It's easily the worst part of Spurstalk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never saw Murray display anything close to White's court vision last year. To me, they're two completely different players.

The Spurs can have more than one point guard, especially considering one is all they have this year and it sucks not having the reliable backup for White. Mills is a shooting guard trapped in a point guard's body.
    Yeah, to a large extent we were hoping to see Murray develop into what White is. Next year will be interesting with Murray having a lot to prove and needing to help the Spurs deciding where and when to play him and what to pay him after the rookie deal. Rich Paul is going to push for big money, Spurs will have to decide what they are willing to pay. It might be a conflict if White has eaten into Murray's playing time. High drama ahead. But a good problem to have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is White on minutes restriction because of his plantar issues? not sure why he is not playing 32-36 minutes like he should when not in foul trouble..He wasn't yesterday and only logged 27 minutes..

Team's D is on completely different level when he is on court..Pop better be having Derrick in the mid 30s of mpg in the playoffs because teams will be abusing Patty/Bryn for fun..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jesus I've never seen a fan base pit their own players against each other. I think the Parker vs Manu era was just silly fun for the most part but continuing it with Murray and white is just dumb.

Nope. Comparing Spurs players, trashing one compared to another is a genetic defect pass from one generation Spur’s poster to another.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That's 31-13 with yesterday's win..Dude's emergence saved the Spurs' season..
    The Spurs dismal road record isn't so bad either when White plays 20 minutes or more. The Spurs are 9-10 in such games (4-12 in the others) and that's after a 1-4 start in such games where DDR was the de facto point guard.
    Last edited by buttsR4rebounding; 03-19-2019 at 11:51 AM.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's even more bizarre than that, because I guarantee you that some of the people post on both sides under different alts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can someone explain the Murray vs white thing here?
    Sure. Most people on the site are dummies. That’s it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some are trolling, but others are making legit comparissons because there are lots of similarities:

-Both drafted 29th.
    -Drafted with one year of difference.
    -They play the same position.
    -They have similar body types (above average height for their position).

Many people think they can play together, but others question the fit (specially alongside DeRozan), so some are worried that Murray will come to take minutes away from White, who is the better player right now.

It's only natural that these comparissons exist, and it has nothing to do with pitting one player against another, it has to do with wanting (what in their minds) is the best thing for the team.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt he will get 1st team, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets all 2nd team. Idk, I just don't think he will get the credit he deserves it's his first year of being an established name.
    ESPN Real Plus Minus DRPM PG

1.79 Marcus Smart
    1.47 Chris Paul
    1.45 Cory Joseph
    1.42 Derrick White
    1.30 Lonzo Ball

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's just gots doing what gots do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

1.79 Marcus Smart
    1.47 Chris Paul
    1.45 Cory Joseph
    1.42 Derrick White
    1.30 Lonzo Ball
    iirc all defensive team just includes 2 "guards" on each team, and doesnt split between PG and SG

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some are trolling, but others are making legit comparissons because there are lots of similarities:

-Both drafted 29th.
    -Drafted with one year of difference.
    -They play the same position.
    -They have similar body types (above average height for their position).

Many people think they can play together, but others question the fit (specially alongside DeRozan), so some are worried that Murray will come to take minutes away from White, who is the better player right now.

It's only natural that these comparissons exist, and it has nothing to do with pitting one player against another, it has to do with wanting (what in their minds) is the best thing for the team.
    Have to disagree with you it’s just full blown re ed to argue/ about about who is better when one of those people has not even played one game this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have to disagree with you it’s just full blown re ed to argue/ about about who is better when one of those people has not even played one game this season.
    THIS. Alot of people here have been throwing Murray under the bus for the sake of pumping up White. They're both going to really rewarding players for us, hopefully for a long time...but let's see how Pop chooses to play them next year. They both have alot of promise for sure but they also still have some flaws that they will surely improve upon, namely their offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean it is a discussion forum. So, discussing how two players might or might not fit together when one comes back from injury doesn't seem too out of line to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

1.79 Marcus Smart
    1.47 Chris Paul
    1.45 Cory Joseph
    1.42 Derrick White
    1.30 Lonzo Ball
    Hmm,
    Two of those chosen 29th by the Spurs

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmm,
    Two of those chosen 29th by the Spurs
    Plus DJM last year. Obviously, system players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only concern in this “White v Murray” that should exist has nothing to do with Murray. It’s will Mills, Beli and Forbes block minutes for DJ, White and maybe Lonnie.

Spurs need DJ and White. The logjam and concerns aren’t as much DJ v White as much as it is will the one dimensional vets block minutes and create a logjam.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And that’s not to say that there aren’t legitimate questions about DJs ceiling or fit. We don’t know if his 3PT shot will be consistent. We don’t know what he will look like physically.

We know White is busting out and needs a big role.

But that’s different than stressing out about where minutes for White will go. He’s fine off ball. DJ has been good off ball too. The real concern about minutes and fit are more with regards to that Pau (he’s gone so problem solved), Mills, Beli and Forbes.

Imo, 1-2 of those 3 need to probably be traded.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only concern in this “White v Murray” that should exist has nothing to do with Murray. It’s will Mills, Beli and Forbes block minutes for DJ, White and maybe Lonnie.

Spurs need DJ and White. The logjam and concerns aren’t as much DJ v White as much as it is will the one dimensional vets block minutes and create a logjam.
    I agree with this. Those two aren't exactly competing with one another but with the midget trio of Mills, Beli and Forbes. And Pop might have a hard-on to keep Forbes in the starting lineup next year because he "spreads the floor" on offense especially if Murray doesn't show an improvement in his outside shooting.

That trio needs to be done away with. At least one of those three needs to be moved especially if Lonnie is given a chance next year. (*edit* just saw your following post, exactly my thoughts)

*edit*

And I haven't even mentioned our two first round draft picks next year. You know they're probably going to draft a couple of SFs.
    Last edited by NASpurs; 03-20-2019 at 12:47 PM.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But that’s different than stressing out about where minutes for White will go. He’s fine off ball. DJ has been good off ball too. The real concern about minutes and fit are more with regards to that Pau (he’s gone so problem solved), Mills, Beli and Forbes.

Imo, 1-2 of those 3 need to probably be traded.
    I agree. At the very least, one of Mills and Forbes has to go. They are too redundant to keep both with so many other guards needing minutes. Beli might be able to carve out a role as the biggest guard in a 3-guard bench unit.

I just think Pop sold out for offense this season given his roster and Murray's injury. With Murray coming back and White coming into his own, the Spurs should have a better balance between offense and defense next season.

A White/Murray/DeRozan/Aldridge/Poeltl lineup would seriously lack spacing, but it would remind me of the grit-and-grind Grizz teams.

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dont need to get rid of Mills/Belli/Forbes. Plenty of minutes for Murray next year just by reducing thier minutes. And then Forbes/Belli contracts are up, and only one more year for Mills.

Mills getting only 10 minutes per game next year will be great

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is White on minutes restriction because of his plantar issues? not sure why he is not playing 32-36 minutes like he should when not in foul trouble..He wasn't yesterday and only logged 27 minutes..

Team's D is on completely different level when he is on court..Pop better be having Derrick in the mid 30s of mpg in the playoffs because teams will be abusing Patty/Bryn for fun..

Amazing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i dont even think white vs murray is the question. its really if murray and derozan can blend

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White and Bertans are both really interesting from a statistical angle: both have what would be considered average PERs (15.32 and 13.51) but both excel in advanced stats like OnCourt & On/off: https://www.basketball-reference.com.../SAS/2019.html

(Aldridge and DeRozan are the opposite: high PERs, and relatively low OnCourt & On/Off numbers.)

I noticed another player who fits this profile: Nemanja Bjelica of Sacramento. His PER is 15.14-- again, very average for the league, but he leads all Kings players in both the OnCourt & On/Off stats. In Sacramento though, there's a lot of the chatter about how Marvin Bagley should start and get more minutes, which is likely to happen next year. I think when a team like the Spurs don't have a lot of money left to chase free agents, these are exactly the kind of players to target for trades. Bjelica is very similar to Bertans, shooting 40% from three, but with a better 2pt% and slightly more rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks per. In the right situations, they'd be a 6'10" version of the Splash Brothers.

Thread Information