Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and I was pissed when we passed up on Jordan Bell and drafted this Derrick White guy...............damn, was I wrong

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If this guy doesn't make an all-defensive team then it's settled: this distinction is nothing more than a recogntion to those who have a better PR game.
    IIRC, All D teams are selected by the coaches, not the media.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I tried to explain that a week or so ago. There's no future in it.

The coaches don't give a damn about PR/media when they're picking All-Defensive. They know better than anybody who gives their guys trouble in games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    some things should not even be said in jest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The coaches don't give a damn about PR/media when they're picking All-Defensive. They know better than anybody who gives their guys trouble in games.
    lol sure. That's why Kobe made like 15 all-defensive teams, right?

Coaches are worst than journalists at picking these accolades. Journalists at least check facts and look at stats and advanced metrics. Coaches just pick recognisable names. If you have a good PR game, you make your name recognisable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Z
    lol sure. That's why Kobe made like 15 all-defensive teams, right?

Coaches are worst than journalists at picking these accolades. Journalists at least check facts and look at stats and advanced metrics. Coaches just pick recognisable names. If you have a good PR game, you make your name recognisable.
    I think in the past, your position had some merit, but they seem to be doing a better, more serious job of picking the All D teams in recent years. LeBron hasn’t made one since 2013-2014. I thinkin the past, like theASG and All NBA, there was a tendency to maybe award someone for a couple of years past their sell by date, but that seems to have been ironed out in this case.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Im still a bit confused about the Dejounte Murray pick last year. He looked green on both sides. More so offense but still got plenty bullied on the defensive end. Getting rebounds is very important but I've always seen this thing as a on ball defensive recognition (especially for gaurds).

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Real Plus Minus Defensive RPM
    Point guards

2017-2018
    3.60 Dejounte Murray
    2.40 Tyus Jones
    2.31 Lonzo Ball
    2.10 Jrue Holiday
    1.98 Ricky Rubio

2018-2019
    1.87 Marcus Smart
    1.49 Derrick White
    1.38 Patrick Beverley
    1.37 Chris Paul
    1.36 Cory Joseph

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Real Plus Minus Defensive RPM
    Point guards

2017-2018
    3.60 Dejounte Murray
    2.40 Tyus Jones
    2.31 Lonzo Ball
    2.10 Jrue Holiday
    1.98 Ricky Rubio

2018-2019
    1.87 Marcus Smart
    1.49 Derrick White
    1.38 Patrick Beverley
    1.37 Chris Paul
    1.36 Cory Joseph
    Puts some perspective on Murray's DRPM last season vs White's this season. DJ homers love to use it as evidence for why Murray is the better defender but the reality is that today's NBA is simply much different than even last year's. I am absolutely going to lose my if White doesn't make all-defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Puts some perspective on Murray's DRPM last season vs White's this season. DJ homers love to use it as evidence for why Murray is the better defender but the reality is that today's NBA is simply much different than even last year's. I am absolutely going to lose my if White doesn't make all-defense.
    Everybody's numbers being higher in 2017/18 gives it away.

But anyway, that 2018/19 list proves that White deserves it. He's the second rated guard.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Holy (and I'm an expert on holy ). That's dead on, top to bottom.

What it does show is that Murray was an outstanding defender among guards last year, and White is this year. They both put up impressive numbers of steals and blocks. White is a good rebounding guard, and Murray is a great rebounding guard. I don't know why people feel the need to compare them to each other. I'm glad the Spurs have both.

Pretty damned amazing for a pair of 29th draft picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everybody's numbers being higher in 2017/18 gives it away.

But anyway, that 2018/19 list proves that White deserves it. He's the second rated guard.
    5th rated guard. 2nd rated point guard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Holy (and I'm an expert on holy ). That's dead on, top to bottom.

What it does show is that Murray was an outstanding defender among guards last year, and White is this year. They both put up impressive numbers of steals and blocks. White is a good rebounding guard, and Murray is a great rebounding guard. I don't know why people feel the need to compare them to each other. I'm glad the Spurs have both.

Pretty damned amazing for a pair of 29th draft picks.
    this

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop says White should demand a new deal!

https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/s...al-is-drawn-up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lloyd Pierce is the second coach I've seen (could be more I just don't pay that much attention) publicly compliment his defense. Brad Stevens did the same when the Celtics played at SA and he gave Irving fits. Gives me hope that maybe White will get his due and be named to an all-defense team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The guy is a better defender than Murray and the crazy part is he barely gets in the prototypical defensive stance.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The guy is a better defender than Murray and the crazy part is he barely gets in the prototypical defensive stance.
    He's got cat quick reaction and anticipation time, also his reach is longer than what's advertised (listed at 6'8" wingspan). Danny Green has a 6'10" wingspan and Murray is listed also at 6'10".

I think it's his IQ that gets him to a spot before the offense gets there.

That and the fact that everyone thinks he's unathletic, but https://www.ralphiereport.com/buffal...oes-basketball shows that he's got a 35" vertical.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's so sad that Kawhi and the Spurs couldn't mend fences. This team would've been so nice with him and Green still here

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's so sad that Kawhi and the Spurs couldn't mend fences. This team would've been so nice with him and Green still here
    Serious championship contender, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Green wore out his welcome. His play slipped pretty noticeably the last few years. He was pretty average. Sometimes, both parties are best served by a change. Green got a fresh start, and the Spurs get to bring along some new young guards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's got cat quick reaction and anticipation time, also his reach is longer than what's advertised (listed at 6'8" wingspan). Danny Green has a 6'10" wingspan and Murray is listed also at 6'10".

That and the fact that everyone thinks he's unathletic, but https://www.ralphiereport.com/buffal...oes-basketball shows that he's got a 35" vertical.
    That's the key, he reads the plays before they happen. He must be the best pick and roll defender in the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yeah, I never got the "Unathletic" label some people gave him... All of his draft combine #s were elite.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Green wore out his welcome. His play slipped pretty noticeably the last few years. He was pretty average. Sometimes, both parties are best served by a change. Green got a fresh start, and the Spurs get to bring along some new young guards.
    Who wouldn't much rather have White and Green than White and Forbes?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude was making Luka look pedestrian yesterday. Bum knee be damned.

Thread Information