Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Pop looks at Forbes as a long-term designated shooter even if he doesn't remain a starter.

Since Forbes is the successor to Mills, Mills should probably be traded.
    I think Pop and RC are on different pages tbh. Pop loves the players and their personalities/work ethic while RC knows that you can't win with midget ball. He has drafted 3 guards in a row and signed 2 guards in the offseason (DDR & Beli)

The 29th pick will be very telling on whether Pop and RC are on the same page with Mills/Forbes. If they draft a center than one of them is staying. If it's any other position then both are gone

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy is so ing good. The team is totally different when he plays and he's a closer.
    Word.

was happy to see Derozan deferring to him late. Man, a backcourt of him and DJ next year should be dope. Really wish we could unload ddr for a wing that has a legit 3pt shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Word.

was happy to see Derozan deferring to him late. Man, a backcourt of him and DJ next year should be dope. Really wish we could unload ddr for a wing that has a legit 3pt shot.
    Somehow trade DDR and Mills and get 2 6’ 7” deadeyes and you’re good to go

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People say that every year about PATFO, like 21 in a row, IIRC.
    Yeah well, and they have had their fair share of mistakes throughout the years. Why are you acting like they haven't?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Somehow trade DDR and Mills and get 2 6’ 7” deadeyes and you’re good to go
    DDR has been great lately, but isn’t a great fit with a backcourt of White and DJ though. Hopefully we draft a couple wings this summer tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotta make room for the two wings we draft+the wing we sign with the MLE, imho.
    Forbes and Mills will be gone by next year. Forbes will be gone at the start of next year and Mills will be gone by the trading deadline. Draft pick/ Lonnie will be called up by Feb 2020.
    Hope so, but I doubt it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Pop looks at Forbes as a long-term designated shooter even if he doesn't remain a starter.

Since Forbes is the successor to Mills, Mills should probably be traded.
    Mills won't be traded. I don't think people understand his role in creating the right team environment, especially with Timmy, Parker, and Ginobili all gone.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For me it’s just getting better as we draft so that means with late picks making our bench better I think a guy like Tyler Herro/PJ Washington/Thybulle is better then Mills, Forbes, Cunningham, Poindexter. Also would not mind Goga, Bassey, or Fernando if we decide not to bring over Nikola .
    Last edited by BackHome; 03-13-2019 at 07:51 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mills won't be traded. I don't think people understand his role in creating the right team environment, especially with Timmy, Parker, and Ginobili all gone.
    Been saying this for literally 2 years. Pop groomed him to be the de facto team leader in the post-Tim/Tony/Manu era - until a true successor steps up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In "today's NBA", a prototypical SF is the holy grail. The Spurs can't afford one of those next year. I like Rudy Gay, but I don't think he's going to be able to stand up to 2,000 minutes in a season anymore, which is sort of the cutoff for starter's minutes. So they're going to have to fill in those minutes another way. I thin the Spurs should do their best to get Darius Miller under the MLE and draft a wing with upside to develop in Austin. Let Murray play the 3 when they're going small.

But I think we've all see how important White's ball handling and playmaking are. The Spurs lead the league in fewest turnovers, and he's a big part of that. I don't see how you can have a SL without him in it now. White, DDR, and Aldridge will be starting, and Pop will experiment with the other two spots.
    Is Pop really the type to demote a player simply because of injury missing one season? He didn't choose to name Murray as the starting PG on a whim.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Pop and RC are on different pages tbh. Pop loves the players and their personalities/work ethic while RC knows that you can't win with midget ball. He has drafted 3 guards in a row and signed 2 guards in the offseason (DDR & Beli)

The 29th pick will be very telling on whether Pop and RC are on the same page with Mills/Forbes. If they draft a center than one of them is staying. If it's any other position then both are gone
    Draft order isn't etched in stone yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That might be the most dense take of the week. Saying that the position they draft will determine if they are on the same page or one or the other is leaving is bizarre.

The Spurs don't draft for need. They will draft the best player available, regardless of position, and the position of that player has no meaning at all in the state of the front office.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That might be the most dense take of the week. Saying that the position they draft will determine if they are on the same page or one or the other is leaving is bizarre.

The Spurs don't draft for need. They will draft the best player available, regardless of position, and the position of that player has no meaning at all in the state of the front office.
    My take may be "dense" like you say but yours is just wrong. Was Cojo the BPA? Milutinov? LJC? Nope none of those were the best player available. 2 of them were drafted for need (I have no idea why we picked LJC). Kawhi was also drafted for a need (we know this bc Pop said so a million times.

Hey look, Tony Parker is gettin older and slower so we draft DJ. Gino is 40 and we probably need another combo guard to take his spot and what do you know, they draft White. Lonnie was BPA but he also filled a team need (like the 2 picks before him did).

3 years in a row RC has drafted guards AND he picked up 2 more guards this offseason. Pop and RC may be stuck between 2 players in the 27-29th pick in this year's draft (since it's pretty much a crapshoot) and RC wants a guard while Pop wants a big man. It's up to RC to bring pop over to his page (like he did with Kawhi). If we draft a guard this year (BPA or not) it signals that RC doesn't have the same faith in Mills and Forbes as Pop does. 8 guards on one team is kinda a lot

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last time I checked, we didn't have 21 rings. PATFO aren't infallible.

That's a pretty unreasonable standard to hold a franchise to. They do have, by far, in a small market many stars wouldn't consider, the longest running playoff streak in the NBA, and 5 rings in 20 years. So, against 29 other franchises-- many with more money to spend-- the Spurs have won 25% of the championships over two decades.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Pop really the type to demote a player simply because of injury missing one season? He didn't choose to name Murray as the starting PG on a whim.

Ummm… Parker missed the first 20 games of the season, and was only up to playing about 20 MPG when he came back. Pop started Murray at the start of the season, but then gave Mills a shot - and he sucked. And, yeah, that's pretty much exactly how Parker got demoted, if you want to look at it that way. Murray was the best option, and he won the job. Pop also started both Murray and Mills for the last month of the season, and through the playoffs.

I think White has developed into the better PG. The numbers say he dishes out more AST and commits fewer TOV, by a big enough margin to pay attention to. I don't think that there is any question that when the other team is dialing up their defensive intensity, White's sure-handedness is a big asset. Notice that when White is bringing the ball up the court, the other teams rarely bother to pressure him. Mills and DDR they beat the living out of. That's because they know White doesn't cough the ball up, and those guys will. Murray has always had that very upright stance when dribbling, and he's more vulnerable to getting stripped because of it. None of that is subjective - I know you've seen it for yourself.

I don't think Murray did bad at the point - I just think White is better. And lately White has showed signs of becoming something of a floor general, and not just a ball handler. If that continues, I don't see how you can keep him off the floor.

I think a lot of people here still don't think of White as being very athletic. At his combine, he had the second best three-quarter sprint time, and was (I think) third in vertical leap. He's a lot quicker and more athletic than most give him credit for. And the thing I'm really loving about him as PG is his ability to change pace. He's learned how to slow down and put a defender to sleep, and then put on a burst to get around him.

I said it before - I'm glad the Spurs have both of them. But they sort of have a logjam of young 6'5" players, don't they?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a pretty unreasonable standard to hold a franchise to. They do have, by far, in a small market many stars wouldn't consider, the longest running playoff streak in the NBA, and 5 rings in 20 years. So, against 29 other franchises-- many with more money to spend-- the Spurs have won 25% of the championships over two decades.
    yep, Tim Duncan

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The elephant on the court.

The original argument was about the Spurs FO making mistakes. Jackie Butler, Richard Jefferson, Stephen Jackson II, Pau Gasol, and Patty Mills all say "Hi". Carry on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim Duncan is, of course, great but he didn't trade a back up point guard named George Hill for the #15 pick who would later become an MVP candidate, plus a Latvian sharpshooter, and he didn't scout and draft Derrick White. Give credit where credit is due.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The elephant on the court.

The original argument was about the Spurs FO making mistakes. Jackie Butler, Richard Jefferson, Stephen Jackson II, Pau Gasol, and Patty Mills all say "Hi". Carry on.

Jackie Butler? Wow, you sure can hold a grudge! The guy signed as a cheap free agent, and didn't pan out. The next year, the Spurs won an NBA le.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    never thought he'd be this kind of all around player

patfo doing work

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

defensive awareness payton like

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do. He ain't goin nowhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ummm… Parker missed the first 20 games of the season, and was only up to playing about 20 MPG when he came back. Pop started Murray at the start of the season, but then gave Mills a shot - and he sucked. And, yeah, that's pretty much exactly how Parker got demoted, if you want to look at it that way. Murray was the best option, and he won the job. Pop also started both Murray and Mills for the last month of the season, and through the playoffs.

I think White has developed into the better PG. The numbers say he dishes out more AST and commits fewer TOV, by a big enough margin to pay attention to. I don't think that there is any question that when the other team is dialing up their defensive intensity, White's sure-handedness is a big asset. Notice that when White is bringing the ball up the court, the other teams rarely bother to pressure him. Mills and DDR they beat the living out of. That's because they know White doesn't cough the ball up, and those guys will. Murray has always had that very upright stance when dribbling, and he's more vulnerable to getting stripped because of it. None of that is subjective - I know you've seen it for yourself.

I don't think Murray did bad at the point - I just think White is better. And lately White has showed signs of becoming something of a floor general, and not just a ball handler. If that continues, I don't see how you can keep him off the floor.

I think a lot of people here still don't think of White as being very athletic. At his combine, he had the second best three-quarter sprint time, and was (I think) third in vertical leap. He's a lot quicker and more athletic than most give him credit for. And the thing I'm really loving about him as PG is his ability to change pace. He's learned how to slow down and put a defender to sleep, and then put on a burst to get around him.

I said it before - I'm glad the Spurs have both of them. But they sort of have a logjam of young 6'5" players, don't they?
    Glad you have come around. White is a PG, with the makings of an excellent one. In addition to your excellent observations, another point about him is White makes guys around him better - including LMA. I didn’t see that from Murray. Not to be misunderstood - I am a fan of Murray. But it is he who needs to concentrate on improving his shooting to become our SG.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    never thought he'd be this kind of all around player

patfo doing work

One of the reasons I feel so optimistic about this summer's draft: if the Spurs have two shots in the first round, I'm betting at least one is a winner.

Thread Information