Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmm, points and assists, like a PG!
    No. LW IV is the only non-PG in the group. I don't even think he could be trained up. At best, he's the dreaded combo guard.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Better at some things (shooting, distributing) not better at others ( rebounding, defending).

Through their first season and half, or so

Dejounte W/S 3.2 VORP 1.2
    Derrick W/S 3.5 VORP 1.2

Per 36
    Dejounte P:13.7 A:4.9 R:8.7
    Derrick P:14.0 A:5.1 R:5.3
    Derrick White is hands down a better player than Dejoute Murray (PERIOD).

Don't even bother splitting hairs like 'he rebounds and defends better".

Do NOT disrespect the best player in the Spurs roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    as long as their minutes are generally staggered, i dont see any particular problem starting them both. im pretty sure we saw the same thing with LMA/Duncan

i just dont want to see the mills/forbes duo at the same time
    Last edited by spurraider21; 03-15-2019 at 02:45 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony VS Manu all over again. Lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Better at some things (shooting, distributing) not better at others ( rebounding, defending).

Through their first season and half, or so

Dejounte W/S 3.2 VORP 1.2
    Derrick W/S 3.5 VORP 1.2

Per 36
    Dejounte P:13.7 A:4.9 R:8.7
    Derrick P:14.0 A:5.1 R:5.3
    I'm not sure Dejounte is better than White at defending, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derrick White is hands down a better player than Dejoute Murray (PERIOD).

Don't even bother splitting hairs like 'he rebounds and defends better".

Do NOT disrespect the best player in the Spurs roster.
    Naming two skills where DJ is clearly better, backed by hard stats numbers, and a coaches All Defense selection is now "splitting hairs"? And by looking at numbers adjusted to playing time, you don't see that they're BOTH great young guards, just different?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Until White gets an NBA coaches selected All D slot, I'll stand by my assertion. White is better at the p'n'r, and shot blocking, DJ at rebounding and ball hawking.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's the funny thing. People say that White can't start because he's a low-volume 3P shooter. But he's put up 3.9 3P attempts per 100 possessions, and has shot .351 on them. Last year, Kyle Anderson put up 1.5 per 100 possessions, and shot .333 on them. Murray put up 1.0 and shot .265.
    In other words - White has been putting up AND making more 3-pointers than Anderson and Murray PUT TOGETHER. Put Murray on the floor to collapse defenses, and White will get more/better 3P looks. They'll need him to shoot a little better than .351, but I think that's almost a given. Right now, a lot of his 3P looks are unassisted. If they work together like I think they can, he'll be getting fed more of them, and that will translate into a higher percentage. Throw Gay or Bertans into the lineup, and you've got enough 3P shooting to keep defenses honest.

As for the people underestimating Murray - you shouldn't. Yes, White is dishing out 7.3 AST per 100 possessions this year. But last year Murray dished 6.7 AST per 100 possessions, which isn't that far behind. I'm not going to write a paper on why White is a better PG, but Murray is still a guy you want on the floor. And I might as well mention that DeRozan is dishing out 8.4 AST per 100 possessions, which is more than White or Murray.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Until White gets an NBA coaches selected All D slot, I'll stand by my assertion. White is better at the p'n'r, and shot blocking, DJ at rebounding and ball hawking.
    I would rather not base my opinion on an accolade that rewarded Kobe Bryant more times than Tim Duncan, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would rather not base my opinion on an accolade that rewarded Kobe Bryant more times than Tim Duncan, tbh.
    They've cleaned it up in recent years. Check the history. LeBron hasn't made either first or second since 2013-2014. It's going to deserving players now.

Oh, and you might want to fact check yourself: Tim 15 selections, Kobe 12

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's the funny thing. People say that White can't start because he's a low-volume 3P shooter. But he's put up 3.9 3P attempts per 100 possessions, and has shot .351 on them. Last year, Kyle Anderson put up 1.5 per 100 possessions, and shot .333 on them. Murray put up 1.0 and shot .265.
    In other words - White has been putting up AND making more 3-pointers than Anderson and Murray PUT TOGETHER. Put Murray on the floor to collapse defenses, and White will get more/better 3P looks. They'll need him to shoot a little better than .351, but I think that's almost a given. Right now, a lot of his 3P looks are unassisted. If they work together like I think they can, he'll be getting fed more of them, and that will translate into a higher percentage. Throw Gay or Bertans into the lineup, and you've got enough 3P shooting to keep defenses honest.

As for the people underestimating Murray - you shouldn't. Yes, White is dishing out 7.3 AST per 100 possessions this year. But last year Murray dished 6.7 AST per 100 possessions, which isn't that far behind. I'm not going to write a paper on why White is a better PG, but Murray is still a guy you want on the floor. And I might as well mention that DeRozan is dishing out 8.4 AST per 100 possessions, which is more than White or Murray.
    Neither White nor Murray are the problem. They could easily start together if the other perimeter player wasn't DeRozan. At this point I would rather trade DeRozan for someone like Otto Porter and a draft pick and just let Derrick White go become the number one guy. I really think he has it in him to become an all-star.

Murray, White, Porter, Bertans and Aldridge.

If White improves like I think he will, that lineup is easily a better one than the one we had this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They've cleaned it up in recent years. Check the history. LeBron hasn't made either first or second since 2013-2014. It's going to deserving players now.

Oh, and you might want to fact check yourself: Tim 15 selections, Kobe 12
    If they cleaned it up, then White makes it this year. Who you got then?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they cleaned it up, then White makes it this year. Who you got then?
    I'd call it a draw, and aren't we lucky to have them both?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    say what you want but White and Aldridge have to be on the court together as much as possible. Their pick & roll game is getting better and better and it's getting very hard for teams to defend it. If that means Murray comes off the bench then that should be his role. It all depends on how his shot looks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dejounte is an off-ball demon tbh, and he flashes on ball but is far from consistent. white is so much more sound on the ball. his change of direction skill on that end is ridiculous. so many times watching him it looks like he bit on a guys fake but is always on balance and able to adjust.

while i would agree that white is a better on-ball defender, people are downplaying murray's defensive impact. his defensive on-off numbers were elite last year (7.6 differential defensively). white this year has a 4.2 differential on defense. both are very good. but murray was actually a mild negative on offense while white is positive on both sides. murray's offensive deficiencies will only look worse sharing the floor with derozan, though... thats why ive said the only way that lineup works is with Bertans starting instead of poeltl/gay
    Last edited by spurraider21; 03-15-2019 at 03:56 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll give you one skill... rebounding.

All you are really saying is that Dennis Rodman is better than Michael Jordan because Rodman is a better rebounder. Piss poor argument.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd call it a draw, and aren't we lucky to have them both?
    Yes, I like the promise of a White-Murray backcourt, I would just rather have a 3D guy instead of DeRozan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dejounte is an off-ball demon tbh, and he flashes on ball but is far from consistent. white is so much more sound on the ball. his change of direction skill on that end is ridiculous. so many times watching him it looks like he bit on a guys fake but is always on balance and able to adjust.
    This.

DJ's length and superior athletiscism makes him a terror off the ball, but his on the ball defense isn't as good as Whites. That mainly has to do with White's superior bball iq and more under control playing style though. DJ has the potential to be a fantastic on ball defender as well. He would just need to put on some muscle and improve his bball iq. You would hope that playing with White would help with that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll give you one skill... rebounding.

All you are really saying is that Dennis Rodman is better than Michael Jordan because Rodman is a better rebounder. Piss poor argument.
    Why are you using such a dumb example? Can you post their numbers and say they're close? No, you can't, but I did with White and DJ. Stop with your stupid drama takes.

DJ is clearly a better rebounder. The rest of the per game numbers are a toss up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This.

DJ's length and superior athletiscism makes him a terror off the ball, but his on the ball defense isn't as good as Whites. That mainly has to do with White's superior bball iq and more under control playing style though. DJ has the potential to be a fantastic on ball defender as well. He would just need to put on some muscle and improve his bball iq. You would hope that playing with White would help with that.
    Pop always says that the defense isn't done until the rebound is secured. DJ's pretty good at that, too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop always says that the defense isn't done until the rebound is secured. DJ's pretty good at that, too.
    Yep, I'm really high on DJ and would like to see him and White start together next year. White as the primary ball handler. If DJ's shot has improved enough its very doable. They would be an absolute terror on defense, they just need to be passable at first on offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    last season dejounte averaged 9.5 rebounds per 36.

white is a solid rebound guy but not in that atmosphere

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neither White nor Murray are the problem. They could easily start together if the other perimeter player wasn't DeRozan. At this point I would rather trade DeRozan for someone like Otto Porter and a draft pick and just let Derrick White go become the number one guy. I really think he has it in him to become an all-star.

Murray, White, Porter, Bertans and Aldridge.

If White improves like I think he will, that lineup is easily a better one than the one we had this season.

I hate making big long posts. I deleted the part about putting Gay or Bertans into that lineup. If White gets more/better 3P looks, like I think he will, then either of those guys will add enough 3P shooting to keep defenses honest. And the defense will be outrageous.

There was a time when LMA was shooting the 3 pretty effectively. I wouldn't mind seeing him drop out a little more often next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    last season dejounte averaged 9.5 rebounds per 36.

white is a solid rebound guy but not in that atmosphere
    I would categorize White as a very good rebounding guard. DJ is just All Universe. He's got that Rodman vision where just from a glance at the flight and the arc of the ball, he knows how the ball will come off of the glass or rim, where to be to grab the board, and is athletically gifted enough to grab most of them.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would rather have White and Murray run point then Forbes or Mills tbh. And I think it’s a good idea to groom both of them at PG/SG cause in case one gets hurt we have a good back up with no breaking in issues.

Thread Information