View Poll Results: Should MLB / teams be responsible for fans hit by foul balls?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. Customers enter game knowing full well the risk

3 60.00%
  • Yes. MLB needs more nets

0 0%
  • Maybe. Case by case basis

1 20.00%
  • No. Grandma should only sit behind netted areas

1 20.00%
  • SpursTalk is going to have a Group Going to Game

1 20.00%
  • One of the ballgirls sits in my lap.

1 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man turning down Dodgers' offer to honor wife

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26379617/man-turning-dodgers-offer-honor-wife

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He said that in January the two sides reached an agreement through mediation over his family's lawsuit seeking damages, but the terms are confidential.The Goldblooms, married for 59 years, were in the loge-level seats they had for years through a partial season ticket plan when a San Diego Padres batter fouled a ball back to the first-base side of home plate. It soared just over the area protected by netting and hit Linda Goldbloom, who was taken by ambulance to a hospital and died there on Aug. 29, leaving three children and seven grandchildren. She was 79.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

the late Linda Goldbloom

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    > Goldbloom

Anyway, my close friend has season tickets for Padres. Sat in the same spot for almost a decade - 1st Base line, 8 rows up from 1st base coach. Then Padres put in the nets. It takes a few innings but you do get use to it

This off-season he switched seats - more behind home plate but up a level. His point was if were forced to accept nets then Ill get the best (affordable) one possible

The nets have tainted the experience

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Developing story. Girls exact condition not know at posting time.

HOUSTON — A young fan at Wednesday night’s game between the Cubs and Astros was struck by a foul ball hit by Albert Almora Jr., shaking up the Chicago center fielder.
    Almora hit a fourth-inning line drive into the stands down the third base line, where it hit a young girl. He immediately put his hands on his head and took a couple of steps toward the stands. He then fell to his knees near the plate and was consoled by teammate Jason Heyward

It took several minutes for Almora, who appeared to be crying, to compose himself and continue the at-bat, and players from both teams also appeared to be shaken up by the scene.
    The girl was picked up by a man who appeared to be with her and he dashed up the stairs not long after she was struck. The Astros did not provide an immediate update on her condition, but a photo taken by The Associated Press showed the girl conscious and crying as she was whisked away and nearby fans looked on.After the fourth inning, Almora, who still appeared to be upset, approached a security guard in the stands near where the girl was sitting and spoke to the guard before the two embraced.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. It's a risk you take going to a game.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The teams could probably put up enough netting to eliminate the line drives but still allow for fans' catching pop-ups. Legally, they could probably get away with what they're doing now, but killing kids isn't a good look.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The teams could probably put up enough netting to eliminate the line drives but still allow for fans' catching pop-ups. Legally, they could probably get away with what they're doing now, but killing kids isn't a good look.
    That's an unfair assesement.

IMO, if you're taking a toddler or kids to a game, maybe dont buy seats where you're directly in the line of fire and totally exposed. Most foul balls end up right where it got hit.

The only losers here are the parents, person hurt and the player.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    That's an unfair assesement.

IMO, if you're taking a toddler or kids to a game, maybe dont buy seats where you're directly in the line of fire and totally exposed. Most foul balls end up right where it got hit.

The only losers here are the parents, person hurt and the player.
    I never said public opinion was fair.

If most foul balls end up there, that's where the net is going to go up.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never said public opinion was fair.

If most foul balls end up there, that's where the net is going to go up.
    No, usually adults do a fine job catching the ball, except your usual line drive. I said dont put toddlers or kids in there or you're just asking for trouble. If you start putting nets around the infield then you might as well cover the whole stadium.

Another instance where a kid got hit.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    If you start putting nets around the infield then you might as well cover the whole stadium.
    That would be next.

I'm not saying I want it to happen. Just that it probably will

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    It won't go this far, but I personally love the animation.

Last edited by Pavlov; 05-30-2019 at 05:51 PM.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    ESPN pushing the story hard. Most coverage Baseball has gotten on the dumpy network in years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stats MLB lifetime on how many people injured / killed by foul balls?

Would like to see them but probably don't exist. I'm sure MLB wanted/wants nothing to do with that info getting out, especially years ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And spoken like a true corporate shill here is the commish on the very subject:

As he addressed the issue of safety netting Thursday, Commissioner Rob Manfred acknowledged that MLB has collected data on fan injuries for 3-4 years, but said, "We collect all sorts of data that we don't release to the public. That's sort of the way people do business in America. We make no secret of fan incidents, usually the public is there when it happens." He went on to say netting extensions have made ballparks safer, because fewer balls are going into the stands, but that he can't be any more precise than that. "It's undeniable the ball is coming off the bat faster than it used to," Manfred said, adding, "I think we have been responsive to the concerns raised by that change."

My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count
    Maybe the balls shouldn’t be juiced anymore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fans responsible, teams responsible, look I don't care which side is to blame or not but please fix the damn issue.

Fan taken for tests after hit by Bellinger's foul
    LOS ANGELES -- A woman at Dodger Stadium was taken to a hospital for precautionary tests Sunday after being struck in the head by a foul ball from Los Angeles Dodgers star Cody Bellinger during the first inning of a game against the Colorado Rockies.The young woman was sitting four rows from the field down the first base line, just beyond protective netting that extends to the end of the visiting dugout. She was hit by a sharp line drive by Bellinger, who checked on her between innings. She at first stayed in her seat and was given an ice pack, but she left about 15 minutes later for further attention.

A first-aid worker who treated the woman said she was taken to the hospital for precautionary tests but that she was alert and answering questions. The name of the woman was not released

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    The 2-year-old girl struck by a foul ball at Minute Maid Park on May 29 suffered a skull fracture and had a seizure, a spokesperson for the family said in a release issued Wednesday. The girl also had subdural bleeding, brain contusions, brain edema and an abnormal EEG and is on medication to prevent further seizures.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The
    Washington Nationals
    Chicago White Sox
    Houston Astros
    have extended the protective netting at their respective stadiums.

Atlanta Braves
    Dodgers begin process of extending netting

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27429304/dodgers-begin-process-extending-netting

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ESPN pushing the story hard. Most coverage Baseball has gotten on the dumpy network in years.
    BSPN baseball coverage (Dodgers/Yankees games basically) is at its worst ever. It's just A-Roid talking about his glory days, that random chick talking strategy like she played MLB and the random nerdy stats guy spouting obscure/useless moneyball stats. Unwatchable tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Phil's to extend netting for 2020.
    Eventually they're probably all gonna extend.

https://6abc.com/sports/phillies-to-extend-protective-netting-for-2020-season/5584768/

Thread Information