Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beli and Metu doesn't work. It would need to be Beli and Forbes.

Murray, White, DeRozan, Covington, Aldridge
    Mills, Walker, Bertans, Gay, Poeltl

Good for a 55+ wins regular season fools gold team, tbh.
    Beli and Metu works.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beli and Metu works.
    It does?

Next season, Beli and Metu's contracts would add up to something a little more than 7 millions, while Covington will make 11,4. How does that work?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It does?

Next season, Beli and Metu's contracts would add up to something a little more than 7 millions, while Covington will make 11,4. How does that work?
    Hmm. Deeks has Cov making $10.8M next year. If that's true, then Beli and Metu can match. If it's the higher total, they'd have to trade someone else as you said.

Guess there's some other mixed in with this truth I'm smoking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmm. Deeks has Cov making $10.8M next year. If that's true, then Beli and Metu can match. If it's the higher total, they'd have to trade someone else as you said.

Guess there's some other mixed in with this truth I'm smoking.
    Tonight's not your night son.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trading an established vet for a terrible contract, a pick and some young-ish dude is the very definition of a tanking move.This trade would make the Spurs worse.

Poeltl needs an elite PnR guard badly and none of these are great at it right now. He can't replace a tenth of what LMA gives offensively because he can't create anything for himself.

The perimeter defense is a problem but trading away the offensive focal point for slightly improving it would be a step back for the team.

Not sure if he'll be able to do any of these things post knee injury but even if he does he's another guy who can't create anything for himself.
    I take your points & Dieng's contract is bad, though only 2 more years on it & he would have a role as a backup C. The risk is, as you said, Covington's health. But halfway through this season, he was a serious contender for DPOY, he was that good. I see the focal points of our offense in the coming seasons coming almost exclusively from the guard/SF spot - White, DD, DJ & Walker, which is why I think Poeltl would thrive as a roll man with those guys. Again, it's more a fit thing - I think LMA is a top 15 player & the past 2 seasons have been the best of his career, even at his age, which is why I mentioned it would have to be a lottery pick to balance the deal somewhat.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beli and Metu doesn't work. It would need to be Beli and Forbes.

Murray, White, DeRozan, Covington, Aldridge
    Mills, Walker, Bertans, Gay, Poeltl

Good for a 55+ wins regular season fools gold team, tbh.
    I would prefer DDR to go back to being a SG so that he would be dealing with the smaller wing which should improve his Off and Def.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Aldridge-DeRozan leading duo greatly limits how far a team can aspire to. Spurs will never be real contenders as long as those two are their go to guys.
    2014-esque team ball

That's how we have to win. Both LMA and DD are arguably better individually than any of the players on that squad. I agree that if we have to really on them to carry us a le it's never happening but with a sum of all parts approach we atleast have an outside shot, imo*.

*assuming Durbeta bolts

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People seem to be very confused about how ineffective tanking is. Tanking doesn’t win championships and it really hasn’t for a very long time. We were very fortunate to have Tim Duncan but that kind of thing doesn’t happen twice.
    Not anymore. Sad to say, but there are no ready made franchise players to be plucked with a first overall pick, let alone anything lower.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2014-esque team ball

That's how we have to win. Both LMA and DD are arguably better individually than any of the players on that squad. I agree that if we have to really on them to carry us a le it's never happening but with a sum of all parts approach we atleast have an outside shot, imo*.

*assuming Durbeta bolts
    The problem is, DD and Aldridge don't accept that type of team ball. Aldridge, especially, pouts and whines his way into getting traded if he doesn't get his touches. That's my main reason for saying he doesn't play winning ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem is, DD and Aldridge don't accept that type of team ball. Aldridge, especially, pouts and whines his way into getting traded if he doesn't get his touches. That's my main reason for saying he doesn't play winning ball.
    Aldridge draws double teams regularly, and knows what to do. Touches aren't the same thing as shots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldridge draws double teams regularly, and knows what to do. Touches aren't the same thing as shots.
    Aldridge wanted out of a 60+ wins team because he wasn't getting his 20 per game. That's who he is. There's no need to justify him just because he plays for the Spurs, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldridge wanted out of a 60+ wins team because he wasn't getting his 20 per game. That's who he is. There's no need to justify him just because he plays for the Spurs, tbh.
    Players who command double teams don't exactly grow on trees. If we were in an alternate universe where he was on another team in the same type of situation, and people here wanted him for the Spurs, I'd say that SA had no chance, and for the same reason. All players, really good ones, are prima donnas to some extent. You manage it the best you can, which Pop seems to have done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Players who command double teams don't exactly grow on trees. If we were in an alternate universe where he was on another team in the same type of situation, and people here wanted him for the Spurs, I'd say that SA had no chance, and for the same reason. All players, really good ones, are prima donnas to some extent. You manage it the best you can, which Pop seems to have done.
    Aldridge isn't good enough to allow him Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant type of "prima donnasness", tbh.

If you are a 2nd or 3rd tier talent player, and you about your touches, you are a cancer not worth keeping.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's funny that Pop and all those around him have such polar opposite views of him, his lunch pail work ethic, and dedication to the team than you do. even his old Portland teammates seem eager to play with him again.

Whatever selfish tendencies he might have had at one point in his career, he no longer does. Let his current game speak for itself and stop badmouthing him with past seasons old 'mah touches' nonsense. Pop loves him and his unselfishness. That's a fact.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldridge isn't good enough to allow him Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant type of "prima donnasness", tbh.

If you are a 2nd or 3rd tier talent player, and you about your touches, you are a cancer not worth keeping.
    So, you would trade an All NBA player for scraps and pieces. Oh, and he's not even approached MJ/Kobe territory. He had some issues. He didn't air them in public. He worked it out with Pop.

If I ever have to wonder about how Pop and RC pull off the things they do, I just look at GMs who think the exact way that you do. If you have a player of high caliber who demands double teams, you don't ship him out without getting back the same: a player that demands double teams. You can't run a high level offense without it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's funny that Pop and all those around him have such polar opposite views of him, his lunch pail work ethic, and dedication to the team than you do. even his old Portland teammates seem eager to play with him again.

Whatever selfish tendencies he might have had at one point in his career, he no longer does. Let his current game speak for itself and stop badmouthing him with past seasons old 'mah touches' nonsense. Pop loves him and his unselfishness. That's a fact.
    Sure, as long as he's getting his 20 per game, he must be a delight to have as a teammate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, you would trade an All NBA player for scraps and pieces. Oh, and he's not even approached MJ/Kobe territory. He had some issues. He didn't air them in public. He worked it out with Pop.

If I ever have to wonder about how Pop and RC pull off the things they do, I just look at GMs who think the exact way that you do. If you have a player of high caliber who demands double teams, you don't ship him out without getting back the same: a player that demands double teams. You can't run a high level offense without it.
    It depends on what you want. If you want to remain a playoffs team but without any aspiration of really contending for a le any time soon, sure keep those guys.

If you want to startover and see if you can build something solid with aspirations of trully contending someday, you trade them.

FWIW, I'm happy with keeping the playoffs streak alive, for now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It depends on what you want. If you want to remain a playoffs team but without any aspiration of really contending for a le any time soon, sure keep those guys.

If you want to startover and see if you can build something solid with aspirations of trully contending someday, you trade them.

FWIW, I'm happy with keeping the playoffs streak alive, for now.
    The thing is, every team that has tried that hasn't gotten any further than we have in the playoffs. Philly has the best chance, but they had to tank for FIVE YEARS, and had a number of misses in the top 10. Okafor, Fultz, MCW, Noel. They also surrendered the #12 pick this year, and lost out on Jason Tatum in that disastrous Fultz trade.

I can't put up with five years of . I just can't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People still can't get over with Aldridge's 'my touches'? It's old news. He has been an outstanding player, teammate and Spur. This news that he wants to go back to Portland is overblown.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Idk bro, I kind of think DD is almost there. His playmaking is actually really good and he has the size/talent to get others great looks. He's had so many good games for 3.5 quarters but s things up by trying to play hero at the end of games instead of just reading defenses/being a willing passer like he does the rest of the game. That's fixable, imo.

LMA is more of a question mark because of his "my touches" past but my hope is that his real problem was with the fact that the offense was so Kawhiso-centric, which kind of made him an afterthought, and not an unwillingness to play team ball. He honestly doesn't come off like a bad/cancerous teammate.

It's still a longshot that we win anything with this core obviously but still I'd easily take that over tanking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This trade is even worse then what we got for kawhi btw

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    people don't give this guy enough credit. We couldn't even beat the tanking Mavs at home on the last regular season game without LA scoring 34 points and grabbing 16 rebounds. He also deserves a lot of credit for the emergence of Derrick White. White always talks about LaMarcus being the one encouraging him and giving him advice, that's why they have such great chemistry on the court. On top of that he played 81 games

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    people don't give this guy enough credit. We couldn't even beat the tanking Mavs at home on the last regular season game without LA scoring 34 points and grabbing 16 rebounds. He also deserves a lot of credit for the emergence of Derrick White. White always talks about LaMarcus being the one encouraging him and giving him advice, that's why they have such great chemistry on the court. On top of that he played 81 games
    Yep, I'm a fan. He won me over the last couple of years. He's got to get his jersey retired just for last season alone, as he willed that team to a solid season. And he's now only 1402 points away from 20,000 career points. Aside from some Negative Nancys here, Spurs fans love the guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We should've done this...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At this point I would trade LA for a first and nothing

Thread Information