Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    I can't believe FkLA is seriously using the gold medal as a legitimate case of Manu>Dirk. You act like Argentina was some crazy underdog that went through a gauntlet to get the gold. They pretty much just had to beat the US in one game in their worst year ever. Wow! They were able to upset a slightly favored team in one game! What an accomplishment! This same US team got ed down by Carlos Arroyo and Puerto Rico. Arroyo > Dirk tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs would've won regardless. To say he could've had another ring if he didn't get injured, to try to add to his legacy is weak. He might not have any of LeBron James didn't literally crawl into the fetal position during the Finals in 2012.

I don't hate Dirk. I just rate Manu appropriately. All his advanced stats suggest he was much more than just a talented sixth man. He was an elite player, his raw stats just weren't there due to cir stances.
    1. When I say Dirk could have had another ring I'm referring to '06 and '07 and not '03. He choked big time in '06 and '07 against Haslem and a year later Stephen Jackson.
    2. No one is saying Manu was not an elite level player at one point of time in his career but like I said it's asinine to say he was better than a perennial MVP level player in Dirk. It reminds me of how bull fans used to say during the '90's Scottie Pippen was better than David Robinson,Olaujuwon, K.Malone etc. Sure Scottie was great but not on those guys level.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't believe people are using 2012 for why Dirk > Manu. LeBron literally choked. Dirk shot 40% that series and beat a LeGOATless Heat team. Big deal!

Hans Brix??? Oh no!!!! Kim Jong-il's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Imagine “cir stances” being your only argument

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't believe people are using 2012 for why Dirk > Manu. LeBron literally choked. Dirk shot 40% that series and beat a LeGOATless Heat team. Big deal!
    No one is just using 2012 for why Dirk is better than Manu. Again you are emotionally overreacting since you can't even get the dates right in when Dirk won. Anyways Dirk was amazing during that playoffs. He scorched the Lakers and Thunder during the '11 run.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one is just using 2012 for why Dirk is better than Manu. Again you are emotionally overreacting since you can't even get the dates right in when Dirk won. Anyways Dirk was amazing during that playoffs. He scorched the Lakers and Thunder during the '11 run.
    It was just a sarcastic response to the disparaging post about Manu's gold medal run. Try to keep up.

If LeBron doesn't outchoke him in 2011, Dirk retires with the same soft, choker label he had for the large majority of his career.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, being the guy that is trusted with having the ball down the stretch for four le teams and a bunch of other elite, non- le teams is no biggie. Just like the gold medal.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was just a sarcastic response to the disparaging post about Manu's gold medal run. Try to keep up.

If LeBron doesn't outchoke him in 2011, Dirk retires with the same soft, choker label he had for the large majority of his career.
    Can't discredit Dirk for 2011 because Lebron choked. Dirk had a great run he overcame the soft label before that 2011 Finals. He ended the Kobe-Gasol Lakers and took out the Durant-Westbrook-Harden Thunder team. Two teams the Spurs greatly struggled with from '08-'13.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. When I say Dirk could have had another ring I'm referring to '06 and '07 and not '03. He choked big time in '06 and '07 against Haslem and a year later Stephen Jackson.
    Ok, but how is this in any way a positive thing for his legacy? Not to mention the fact that if Manu just controlled his primal instincts in '06 Dirk wouldn't have even had a chance to choke.

2. No one is saying Manu was not an elite level player at one point of time in his career but like I said it's asinine to say he was better than a perennial MVP level player in Dirk. It reminds me of how bull fans used to say during the '90's Scottie Pippen was better than David Robinson,Olaujuwon, K.Malone etc. Sure Scottie was great but not on those guys level.

IDK I don't really think Scottie was clearly inferior to those other guys. He was an MVP level player while MJ was failing at baseball. Just like Manu was when cir stances dictated it. I mean, I guess prime Olajuwon was better. Probably prime Dave too but those two guys were also complete, elite two way players (Dirk wasn't).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't discredit Dirk for 2011 because Lebron choked. Dirk had a great run he overcame the soft label before that 2011 Finals. He ended the Kobe-Gasol Lakers and took out the Durant-Westbrook-Harden Thunder team. Two teams the Spurs greatly struggled with from '08-'13.
    You mean the Lakers team at the end of their run? Or the OKC team just starting theirs? Sounds like a really cute story to frame it how you did, but in reality neither of those two teams were at the same level the teams the Spurs ended up struggling with.

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Yeah, being the guy that is trusted with having the ball down the stretch for four le teams and a bunch of other elite, non- le teams is no biggie. Just like the gold medal.
    well that explains all his Finals MVP’s. Surely if Parker & Kawhi got that award, Manu must have gotten one as well

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok, but how is this in any way a positive thing for his legacy? Not to mention the fact that if Manu just controlled his primal instincts in '06 Dirk wouldn't have even had a chance to choke.

IDK I don't really think Scottie was clearly inferior to those other guys. He was an MVP level player while MJ was failing at baseball. Just like Manu was when cir stances dictated it. I mean, I guess prime Olajuwon was better. Probably prime Dave too but those two guys were also complete, elite two way players (Dirk wasn't).
    1. Historically a lot of playoff series are won on costly mistakes like Manu did in '06. A year earlier Rasheed Wallace made a dumb mistake of double teaming Manu and leaving Horry open for the game winner. Going by your logic the Spurs don't deserve credit for that '05 le since they benefited from Rasheed's costly mistake. Bottom line you just don't want to give credit. You come across as bitter as Laker fans did when the Spurs beat them in '99 and '03. Not a good look.

2. Scottie definitely was not an MVP level player in '94-'95 season. During that year he put up great numbers but could not lead the bulls to playing above .500 basketball. Things were so bad that the bulls were below .500 when MJ came back with about 20 some games left. But then again that's probably type of record Manu would lead his team to if he didn't have the luxury of playing with Duncan.

3. at the 2 way player bs argument. Jimmy Butler is a much better 2 way player than Durant but nobody would be stupid to say he's better than Durant. Going by your logic Butler is better than both Curry and Durant.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Manufan have always used the inherently flawed premise that all of his advanced stats/efficiency would have stayed the same if hed been the #1 option on another team and his usage was way up, if he ever had to carry the load Dirk carried for over a decade his brittle bones would have shattered

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You mean the Lakers team at the end of their run? Or the OKC team just starting theirs? Sounds like a really cute story to frame it how you did, but in reality neither of those two teams were at the same level the teams the Spurs ended up struggling with.
    1. Dirk ended the Lakers run much like Duncan did in '03. He slammed the door shut on them. Lakers were the favorites to win that series and had HCA. Dirk was huge game 1 of the series. He was super clutch in the 4th quarter of game 1. In the final minute of the game he scored 4 points to put the Mavs ahead 96-94 over the Lakers in a nail biter. In game 2 of that series he came up huge from start to finish and lead the Mavs to a double digit win over the Lakers. If you don't remember the Lakers were heavy favorites to 3 peat. The only team people felt could beat them back then was the newly form Heatles.

2. Again you sound as pathetic as Laker fans when they make excuses for losing to the Spurs in '03. They say stuff you say "Spurs only won because we were at the end of run and our guys were tired. We didn't have Rick Fox. Blah Blah."

3. OKC in '11 was as good as they were in '12. The only difference was Dirk straight up annihilated them by averaging 32.2 points on 55 percent shooting. The Spurs incarnation from '11-'14 didn't have anybody that could straight up put up the numbers Dirk did against them. It took a team effort to beat them in '14 lead by Duncan-Manu-#2. But none of those 3 guys were as dominant as Dirk was against them in '11.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I can't believe FkLA is seriously using the gold medal as a legitimate case of Manu>Dirk. You act like Argentina was some crazy underdog that went through a gauntlet to get the gold. They pretty much just had to beat the US in one game in their worst year ever. Wow! They were able to upset a slightly favored team in one game! What an accomplishment! This same US team got ed down by Carlos Arroyo and Puerto Rico. Arroyo > Dirk tbh
    that user name/avatar

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know why some posters erroneously keep insisting with Manu > Dirk...

It's Manu >>>>>>>> Dirk...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manufan have always used the inherently flawed premise that all of his advanced stats/efficiency would have stayed the same if hed been the #1 option on another team and his usage was way up, if he ever had to carry the load Dirk carried for over a decade his brittle bones would have shattered
    That's one of the main things I could not stand about Manu was his body was made out of glass. Almost every year after '07 he was dealing with some major injury. '08 he played with a broken ankle in the playoffs. '09 missed playoffs due to broken ankle. '10 played with a broken nose. '11 got his arm broken in the final regular season game. '12 missed a few weeks due to breaking his hand randomly which lead to Danny Green become the starting SG. By '12 I had gotten discouraged and realized Manu could not be trusted to be fully relied on due to being too damn brittle.

Manu would have had a much shorter career if he was number 1 guy due to playing more minutes and his reckless style of basketball. He benefited more than anything by playing with the Spurs. Very few coaches outside of Pop would have been smart enough to manage his minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu has more hardware. Not even a debate

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    That's one of the main things I could not stand about Manu was his body was made out of glass. Almost every year after '07 he was dealing with some major injury. '08 he played with a broken ankle in the playoffs. '09 missed playoffs due to broken ankle. '10 played with a broken nose. '11 got his arm broken in the final regular season game. '12 missed a few weeks due to breaking his hand randomly which lead to Danny Green become the starting SG. By '12 I had gotten discouraged and realized Manu could not be trusted to be fully relied on due to being too damn brittle.

Manu would have had a much shorter career if he was number 1 guy due to playing more minutes and his reckless style of basketball. He benefited more than anything by playing with the Spurs. Very few coaches outside of Pop would have been smart enough to manage his minutes.
    Agreed. Nothing he could do about his body being made out of glass, but it’s certainly relevant to this discussion since it would have played a role in how he did as a #1 option.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Manu has more hardware. Not even a debate
    Kobe more hardware than Duncan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. Nothing he could do about his body being made out of glass, but it’s certainly relevant to this discussion since it would have played a role in how he did as a #1 option.
    I don't think pointing that out is unfair, tbh, but I also think he would've had much more glow to his career also (besides probably being a shorter career). Frankly, I don't even think Manu cares about that chatter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kobe more hardware than Duncan
    Negative.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu came off the bench a large portion of his career and still torches Dirk. Put Manu on a different team as "the guy" with minutes, and we aren't even entertaining this conversation.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Kobe 2 gold medals
    Duncan bronze

Thread Information