Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "5th or 6" is peanuts. in the US, we have the big 4, and everything else.

the earlier start time is a huge deal. it was 6am western, and your own article says it set a record for morning broadcast

thats the tiger effect. he draws in casuals that otherwise wouldnt give a about golf.
    Also, golf might be the 4 in the big 4. Stanley Cup Finals haven't done over 9 million in the US in the last 40 years, while the biggest golf tournaments routinely do more. , NHL playoff games are doing under a million and as a low as 300K on some networks. Non-major golf tournaments typically do a million or more.

I also find it funny our dip society needs "star power" to appreciate a sport. I don't understand this mentality, because how can a "transcendent athlete" suddenly make you watch a sport you don't like? I don't care what athletes they have in Floptrot, I won't watch it, since I don't find the sport compelling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, golf might be the 4 in the big 4. Stanley Cup Finals haven't done over 9 million in the US in the last 40 years, while the biggest golf tournaments routinely do more. , NHL playoff games are doing under a million and as a low as 300K on some networks. Non-major golf tournaments typically do a million or more.
    compare their annual revenues. its dumb to pick out individual game ratings in sports where they aren't equivalents. NHL finals can be spread over the course of 7 different days. it would make sense to compare that to baseball/basketball but not to golf, nascar, football, etc

I also find it funny our dip society needs "star power" to appreciate a sport. I don't understand this mentality, because how can a "transcendent athlete" suddenly make you watch a sport you don't like? I don't care what athletes they have in Floptrot, I won't watch it, since I don't find the sport compelling.
    people like watching phenoms dominate. has always been the case. people were going nuts during the barry bonds home run watch. people tuned in to watch phelps swim. to watch usain bolt run. people who dont give a about tennis will watch serena williams. casual UFC fans loved watching anderson silva/GSP. casual boxing fans will tune in to watch floyd.

seeing people dominate for stretches like that is legendary/historic on its own... even without appreciating the "beautiful game" of the sport. i get it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Real sports with real athletes: basketball, futbol, football, rugby, tennis, hockey, volleyball, swimming, track, etc

Games where body type is irrelevant: fatball, golf, darts, billiards, professional gaming, automotive racing, etc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    compare their annual revenues. its dumb to pick out individual game ratings in sports where they aren't equivalents. NHL finals can be spread over the course of 7 different days. it would make sense to compare that to baseball/basketball but not to golf, nascar, football, etc
    Revenue isn't the best measure. NFL doubles the revenue of the Premier League, but no one would claim the NFL is more relevant worldwide than the EPL. Golf also can't draw ticket sale money like the NHL, since there's not enough space/seating to accommodate 10-20 thousand people.

people like watching phenoms dominate. has always been the case. people were going nuts during the barry bonds home run watch. people tuned in to watch phelps swim. to watch usain bolt run. people who dont give a about tennis will watch serena williams. casual UFC fans loved watching anderson silva/GSP. casual boxing fans will tune in to watch floyd.

seeing people dominate for stretches like that is legendary/historic on its own... even without appreciating the "beautiful game" of the sport. i get it.
    Nah. I just see as "FOMO." The bandwagon effect. How can you appreciate Serena or Barry or Floyd dominating if you don't understand why and how they are dominating? Especially a boxer like Floyd who isn't a knockout artist? Trout is the most dominant athlete in American sports right now, but he doesn't do it through hitting 70 homeruns, lacks charisma, and controversy, so the casuals don't have an entry point. Much like Floyd, Trout is a master technician. Floyd drew casuals with controversy, but is a "boring" boxer (not for boxing purists, obviously). If Floyd was a vanilla personality, I assure you no one would care. Point here is that people don't really care about watching dominance if the form it comes in isn't easy to digest, either through dominating in a simple and exciting way (knockouts, homeruns, dunks and three pointers - Duncan's metrical dominance didn't draw in casuals. They gravitated toward Kobe in that era) or a controversial/exciting personality. So basically, they treat sports as a soap opera.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Real sports with real athletes: basketball, futbol, football, rugby, tennis, hockey, volleyball, swimming, track, etc

Games where body type is irrelevant: fatball, golf, darts, billiards, professional gaming, automotive racing, etc
    Still on the fatball burn, even though I proved your dumbass wrong on that point multiple times. Still waiting for that vid of you accurately making 130 foot throws at 90mph, Paco.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still on the fatball burn, even though I proved your dumbass wrong on that point multiple times. Still waiting for that vid of you accurately making 130 foot throws at 90mph, Paco.
    racist

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Real athletes"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So where's the vid? First, I want to see you consistently hitting 90 mph at the cages. Then I want to see you running infield work. You'll be back to the easy sport of basketball in no time. It's why you can convert people who never even saw a basketball before age 20 (Dwyane Dedmon) into productive NBA players. You're going to trash a sport, step the up and prove how easy it is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So where's the vid? First, I want to see you consistently hitting 90 mph at the cages. Then I want to see you running infield work. You'll be back to the easy sport of basketball in no time. It's why you can convert people who never even saw a basketball before age 20 (Dwyane Dedmon) into productive NBA players. You're going to trash a sport, step the up and prove how easy it is.
    When did I ever say I could throw 90 mph, racist?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.thewealthrecord.com/arti...es-world-2019/

Mickle s is nearly a billionaire. naldo hasn't even cracked half-a-bil. Perhaps Ronaldo eclipses his net worth by the same age, but I wouldn't count on it. Golf endorsements are simply insane, since they're typically luxury goods that golf's consumer base buys. Soccer endorsements are, what, companies that manufacture malaria nets
    Business Interests
    Ronaldo has a lifetime contract with Nike Inc. (NKE) worth reportedly around $1 billion. Michael Jordan and LeBron James are the only other athletes with similar deals.

https://www.investopedia.com/news/ne...tiano-ronaldo/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Revenue isn't the best measure. NFL doubles the revenue of the Premier League, but no one would claim the NFL is more relevant worldwide than the EPL. Golf also can't draw ticket sale money like the NHL, since there's not enough space/seating to accommodate 10-20 thousand people.
    but single day/event ratings are also misleading for the reasons mentioned.

Nah. I just see as "FOMO." The bandwagon effect.
    thats valid

How can you appreciate Serena or Barry or Floyd dominating if you don't understand why and how they are dominating? Especially a boxer like Floyd who isn't a knockout artist? Trout is the most dominant athlete in American sports right now, but he doesn't do it through hitting 70 homeruns, lacks charisma, and controversy, so the casuals don't have an entry point. Much like Floyd, Trout is a master technician. Floyd drew casuals with controversy, but is a "boring" boxer (not for boxing purists, obviously). If Floyd was a vanilla personality, I assure you no one would care. Point here is that people don't really care about watching dominance if the form it comes in isn't easy to digest, either through dominating in a simple and exciting way (knockouts, homeruns, dunks and three pointers - Duncan's metrical dominance didn't draw in casuals. They gravitated toward Kobe in that era) or a controversial/exciting personality. So basically, they treat sports as a soap opera.
    baseball as absurdly boring, so trout as an awful comparison. casuals only cared during steroid era because home runs are the only thing that wake you up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When did I ever say I could throw 90 mph, racist?
    You say you easily make shortstop level throws. That requires throwing speeds of 90mph. You honestly wouldn't be able to do on a baseball field. You lack the coordination and athleticism. Stick to rec league basketball. And what's this racist ? You're butthurt about being called Paco on the most politically incorrect sports forum on the net, where saying bean3r is a tradition?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    but single day/event ratings are also misleading for the reasons mentioned.

thats valid

baseball as absurdly boring, so trout as an awful comparison. casuals only cared during steroid era because home runs are the only thing that wake you up
    Point proven. Dumbass people can't think beyond what entertains them on a visceral surface level. People don't want to watch actual dominance, they want something shiny to entertain them. It's why Marvel movies do so well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Point proven. Dumbass people can't think beyond what entertains them on a visceral surface level. People don't want to watch actual dominance, they want something shiny to entertain them. It's why Marvel movies do so well.
    sports and movies are ultimately an entertainment medium. i'm never going to watch curling even if somebody is dominating the out of it.

if the sport itself is good enough (basketball, football, hockey) then more people can appreciate the "greatness" of the individuals rather than just entertainment value. if you're golf, soccer, tennis, swimming... you need to sell a star. the overall entertainment value just isn't there (outside the passionate base)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sports and movies are ultimately an entertainment medium. i'm never going to watch curling even if somebody is dominating the out of it.

if the sport itself is good enough (basketball, football, hockey) then more people can appreciate the "greatness" of the individuals rather than just entertainment value. if you're golf, soccer, tennis, swimming... you need to sell a star. the overall entertainment value just isn't there (outside the passionate base)
    You don't think that's close minded? Soccer obviously is the world's sport, so people see it as great entertainment. Golf, baseball, cricket and slower paced sports are also popular around the world. Point is these sports are popular for a reason, because they are well designed sports and do have natural entertainment value. I see people who dismiss them as "boring" (which is a lazy argument) simply too close-minded or biased to investigate the nuances. I don't dislike soccer because it's "boring," but because of the flopping and mini-games. I will say that I do think sports where you can take the lead from a deficit are inherently superior, though, but that doesn't mean I find soccer "boring." It has its own unique characteristics to appreciate, when the players aren't falling down to the ground.

Maybe I sound elitist, but it seems we're collectively headed toward a mentality where we need constant stimulation to stay engaged.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If a sport is boring (and this applies to soccer too), then that’s a design flaw. The reality is most of these sports have flaws, it’s the fandom and tradition that make them popular. That’s why even niche or regional sports survive, despite perhaps not conquering the world as a whole.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If a sport is boring (and this applies to soccer too), then that’s a design flaw. The reality is most of these sports have flaws, it’s the fandom and tradition that make them popular. That’s why even niche or regional sports survive, despite perhaps not conquering the world as a whole.
    Boring can be a feature, though. "Boring" or quietude often enhances the tension and makes the payoff more impactful. A gun finally going off in a slow moving thriller has more impact than whatever special effects Ironman and that human eggplant are constantly throwing at each other over 2 hours. This scene is cinematically more interesting than every Marvel movie ever made:

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    https://www.thewealthrecord.com/arti...es-world-2019/

Mickle s is nearly a billionaire. naldo hasn't even cracked half-a-bil. Perhaps Ronaldo eclipses his net worth by the same age, but I wouldn't count on it. Golf endorsements are simply insane, since they're typically luxury goods that golf's consumer base buys. Soccer endorsements are, what, companies that manufacture malaria nets
    the last part

”I’m Lionel Messi. Are you some dirt poor skinned living in a Brazilian favela? If so, this malaria net is a must have for the rusted shack you call home!”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the last part

”I’m Lionel Messi. Are you some dirt poor skinned living in a Brazilian favela? If so, this malaria net is a must have for the rusted shack you call home!”

Careful with the bolded, though. Might be called racist .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s very debatable, and frankly, ever changing. All sports had to reinvent themselves over time to keep their appeal.

The battle that ensues between purists and not purists in-between these changes describe very well the whole traditionalism in sports.

We should also make the distinction between watching and playing the sport. The best way to learn the nuances is by playing. Watching will require some sort of fandom involved (be it a stake in the game or prior knowledge), otherwise boredom normally kicks in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the last part

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count

Careful with the bolded, though. Might be called racist .
    Lkrfan gets called pretty much every racist name under the sun and laughs it off, Fkla gets called Paco and cries about racism.

I actually think we might have something with the idea of using soccer stars to market to the dirt poor demographic.

”Thinking of illegally immigrating to the US without any money? I’m Chicharito and if you do, make sure you stop at dollar general, where you can buy all of the cheap Mexican memorabilia you need to obnoxiously cheer for Mexico in the next World Cup even though you hated the country so much you broke a law to leave it!”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s very debatable, and frankly, ever changing. All sports had to reinvent themselves over time to keep their appeal.

The battle that ensues between purists and not purists in-between these changes describe very well the whole traditionalism in sports.

We should also make the distinction between watching and playing the sport. The best way to learn the nuances is by playing. Watching will require some sort of fandom involved (be it a stake in the game or prior knowledge), otherwise boredom normally kicks in.
    Sure, there's historical design choices that made sense to change, like adding a shot clock in basketball, since coaches back then would exploit that and hold onto the ball for like 30 minutes. I would say that when a design element of a sport robs it of some of its nuances, change is needed. The problem arises, though, when the design change sacrifices nuance for entertainment value. The modern NBA is inarguably a more one dimensional sport compared to yesteryear, but keeping up with modern appeal demanded rule changes to increase pace and offense.

The reverse is kind of happening in baseball. It's also a more one dimensional sport vs. yesteryear, but not because of any design change, but because pitchers have more than caught up to the 60'6" mound distance. Everyone throws 98 now with off-speed that seems to break the laws of physics. I don't know how anybody gets a hit today. Baseball has been robbed of a lot of contact hitting and pitching nuances due to the overwhelming talent of modern pitching, so I'm in favor of change to get more balls in play, to massively reduce strikeouts, and to bring the art of pitching to contact back. I say it's a reverse to the NBA, because the changes would actually enhance baseball's variety while making the sport more entertaining, where the NBA's rule changes made it more one dimensional but more entertaining, to casuals and twitter at least.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lkrfan gets called pretty much every racist name under the sun and laughs it off, Fkla gets called Paco and cries about racism.

I actually think we might have something with the idea of using soccer stars to market to the dirt poor demographic.

”Thinking of illegally immigrating to the US without any money? I’m Chicharito and if you do, make sure you stop at dollar general, where you can buy all of the cheap Mexican memorabilia you need to obnoxiously cheer for Mexico in the next World Cup even though you hated the country so much you broke a law to leave it!”

FkLA is cool, and I've called him Paco before. Don't know why he took offense this time. He does irritate me when he tries to talk about baseball, though. He just has re edly stupid opinions about the sport that are stated out of spite, probably because his dad forced him to play it and he struck out every time. But yeah, baseball doesn't have "real athletes."

Tyreek Hill: At his Pro Day at West Alabama, Hill ran a 4.24 in the 40. At Oklahoma State, Hill set a school record in the 60-yard dash with a personal best of 6.61.

Read more here: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/sp...#storylink=cpy
    When the Wolfpack held a scouting day later that fall, Turner ran a 6.26 60
    Last edited by midnightpulp; 04-16-2019 at 12:01 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

More on this. I can't resist making people with dumb opinions feel stupid. The "real" athlete that is Ronaldo who plays a "real" sport would rank among the 200s in sprint speed. Remember? He had a lab tested time of 3.61 seconds over 82 feet. Here's a ranked list of 90 foot times (and these aren't top times, but averages) in the MLB last season:

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/runni...=&team=&min=10

Broken up into 5 foot splits. We see that a ~3.61 80 foot time (which again is an average, and ran on a more difficult surface: loose dirt vs. carpet) would place in the 200s. Soccer's "greatest athlete" would simply be an average MLB athlete . No, position players can't be of any body type (your cherry picked players are outliers, even the pitchers). This is a sport where fractions of second can decide the difference between being out or safe, where being able to run fast over 20 to 270 feet is pretty ing important, from scoring from 1st to breaking on bunt from 3rd to chasing down a flyball.

There's more variety of body type in football and rugby, with the former featuring the fattest athletes in sports, as we know.

Thread Information