Page 22 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nba games have been unplayable garbage for more than a decade

madden has been stuck in neutral
    2k12 was the last I played. Felt like 2k8 was the last one that had any big improvements vs previous games. Namely having a lot more plays to run than 2k7.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just run an HDMI cable from my PC to TV and use a DualShock 4. About the only negative is I get prompts for XBox buttons instead of PlayStation ones ingame since the driver for the DS4 emulates a 360 pad.
    Aaaaaaaaaaargh
    cables

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2k12 was the last I played. Felt like 2k8 was the last one that had any big improvements vs previous games. Namely having a lot more plays to run than 2k7.
    The animations for Manu when he attacked the basket in 2k8 or 2k9 were spot on, I was really impressed
    Same thing with Kobe creating separation for a jump shot and his celebrations

Yao Ming was God like in 2k9 though, WTF, it was obvious they wanted to sell this in China

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    buying consoles at launch

the only time i regretted not doing so was when i missed out on the PS3 that had backwards compatability
    I was reading an article about why Microsoft made the Series S console and it suggests we might not end up getting cheaper consoles since 5nm and 3nm nodes don't seem like they'll offer savings in cost per transistor. If that's true than the only reason not to get the consoles early is to wait for defects to get ironed out. Thoughts, ElNono?

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-big-interview

"Moore's Law is certainly not dead! Moore's Law is continuing and we have a good path to 5nm and 3nm, and those are going to bring improved performance and good power," enthuses Goossen. "What they're not bringing any more is a good cost reduction cost per transistor - and so this has foundational impacts to console development, because now we'll get cost reductions, but they're slowing down and it won't be nearly the magnitudes that we've seen before."

The fact is that future nodes like 5nm and 3nm do deliver advantages then - and PC processors and GPUs along with smartphones can still benefit from those. But typically, consoles stick to the same performance profile across the generation. Goossen is essentially suggesting that leveraging these nodes for cheaper consoles may not be an option, which poses a difficult problem for the Xbox team going into the future with the intention of delivering even more powerful hardware. Processor performance is tied closely to transistor count - but if the cost per transistor is not reducing, a new chip with more logic will cost a lot more to make, even if it's actually smaller than today's processors. For the new consoles, a smaller, slimmer machine is a possibility - but the actual cost of making it won't change that much.

"And so that was another one of the reasons why we felt that we really had to do Series S at the beginning because we had to design for the future. For the first time, we had to have the entry-level console at the beginning. Previous generations were kind of easy because at the beginning of the generation, you make something really expensive - put as much silicon and as much performance as you could into it - then you would just ride the cost reduction curves down to mass market prices. That's not there anymore," Goossen explains.

In Microsoft's recent HotChips presentation on the Xbox Series X, Microsoft's engineers also outlined how challenging it is to deliver a generational leap is in a world where silicon costs are problematic and where year-on-year drops in memory cost are tailing off. The presentation suggested that the 7nm process was not as cost-effective as the 16nm used for Xbox One X and S, but Andrew Goossen puts this into perspective:

"Well, it's still declined to 7nm - but you're right that the wins had been less and so it's definitely an ongoing industry trend with the cost per transistor relative to previous processes. The wins haven't been as big... going up to 7nm, but there have still been wins, 7nm is still cheaper per transistor than the previous ones. It's just after 7nm is where it potentially starts going up... you get those other benefits like the increased clock rates and you get the benefits of better power, but those aren't things that we can directly apply to cost reductions."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was reading an article about why Microsoft made the Series S console and it suggests we might not end up getting cheaper consoles since 5nm and 3nm nodes don't seem like they'll offer savings in cost per transistor. If that's true than the only reason not to get the consoles early is to wait for defects to get ironed out. Thoughts, ElNono?
    There's still corners that can be cut though. Might not come from the CPU/GPU pair itself, but there are cost cuttings on improved cooling designs (which lower the board size, and cost), new multi-layered flash tech to cut down costs and increase capacity on SSD, eventually losing the BD-ROM drive, RAM price/capacity...

Also, I don't know if 5nm or 3nm are even in production yet, tbh... you might not win in price, but you'll win in performance, so it's easier to justify a higher price tag.

You can also see what Apple did moving to simpler chips designs that give them a higher margin. Although I don't suspect that will pan out this generation, but wouldn't be surprised on the next one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's still corners that can be cut though. Might not come from the CPU/GPU pair itself, but there are cost cuttings on improved cooling designs (which lower the board size, and cost), new multi-layered flash tech to cut down costs and increase capacity on SSD, eventually losing the BD-ROM drive, RAM price/capacity...

Also, I don't know if 5nm or 3nm are even in production yet, tbh... you might not win in price, but you'll win in performance, so it's easier to justify a higher price tag.

You can also see what Apple did moving to simpler chips designs that give them a higher margin. Although I don't suspect that will pan out this generation, but wouldn't be surprised on the next one.
    But it's probably unlikely we'll see $300 PS5 any time in the generation, and especially not $200 PS5 like we got with the PS4 Slim after the node shrink to 16nm from 28nm (I think I paid $220 new for my Slim like two months after they came out). So waiting will only likely get you a smaller PS5 with lower power consumption and a larger SSD for around the same price it sounds like.

Damn I wonder if XBox will win this gen with a $300 system then. PS4 really didn't start blowing up until the cheap Slims were available and $500 or even $400 throughout the gen is going to make it impossible for them to have the level of sales they got with PS4.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But it's probably unlikely we'll see $300 PS5 any time in the generation, and especially not $200 PS5 like we got with the PS4 Slim after the node shrink to 16nm from 28nm (I think I paid $220 new for my Slim like two months after they came out). So waiting will only likely get you a smaller PS5 with lower power consumption and a larger SSD for around the same price it sounds like.

Damn I wonder if XBox will win this gen with a $300 system then. PS4 really didn't start blowing up until the cheap Slims were available and $500 or even $400 throughout the gen is going to make it impossible for them to have the level of sales they got with PS4.
    Well, people forget there's inflation too, and adjusted dollar prices are a thing. I don't think we'll ever see a PS5 at $200, but a digital edition at $300 at some point? Maybe.

I also think we'll see more of the 2 year financing model like MS is trying if it works out (free/cheap PSN for 2 years + monthly payments for the console, sort of like 2 year cellphone plan).

Obviously, all speculation is mine, I don't know anything about future console plans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    but a digital edition at $300 at some point? Maybe.
    Meh digital edition, wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole since it ensures you'd be paying full price for any game that's relatively new, as you'd be stuck buying from PSN instead of buying when one of Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart, Gamestop, Target, Newegg, etc run a deal on a game. I'd probably still buy a $500 disc version PS5 over a $300 digital edition, as I'd probably at least break even on PS5 game cost and could play all my PS4 games without having to rebuy them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh digital edition, wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole since it ensures you'd be paying full price for any game that's relatively new, as you'd be stuck buying from PSN instead of buying when one of Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart, Gamestop, Target, Newegg, etc run a deal on a game. I'd probably still buy a $500 disc version PS5 over a $300 digital edition, as I'd probably at least break even on PS5 game cost and could play all my PS4 games without having to rebuy them.
    Definitely not for everyone, though I can easily say that due to the PSN deals, I probably have a larger digital than disc collection on the PS4.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Definitely not for everyone, though I can easily say that due to the PSN deals, I probably have a larger digital than disc collection on the PS4.
    Digital is great for older games, but is almost always more expensive if you want to buy a game in its first year. Only time I have bought a new game digital in the last couple of years was Persona 5 Royal, and that was only because I expected most retail stores to be shut down by March 31st (the release date) from the pandemic so traded in my physical pre-order for PSN cards in early March to buy it digitally.

EDIT: Take it back, also bought the Yakuza Remastered Collection digital pretty soon after it came out since the physical disc wasn't releasing for like 4 months after the digital version of Yakuza 3 dropped as part of the collection.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    God dammit I've been watching the restock times on Walmart and almost snagged one today but the biggest ing retailer in the world has such ty online servers than I couldn't complete checkout before it sold out

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    God dammit I've been watching the restock times on Walmart and almost snagged one today but the biggest ing retailer in the world has such ty online servers than I couldn't complete checkout before it sold out
    Bots are flooding their servers so the buyers can dump them on ebay for $1200+. If you want to guarantee a PS5 you better go wait in line at Gamestop on Thanksgiving and be first or second, since each store is supposed to get at least 2 PS5 and 2 Series X for Black Friday. Or pay scalper prices.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    Anybody play the Miles Morales game? I heard that it's $50 for 5 hours of gameplay. That's disgraceful.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anybody play the Miles Morales game? I heard that it's $50 for 5 hours of gameplay. That's disgraceful.
    I played it. The main story might be ~5-7 hours, depending on how good you are. But just like the first spiderman, there's a lot of side-stuff to do.

It's probably closer ~15 hours total. It's about the same size as the first Spiderman game (minus any DLC).

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    I played it. The main story might be ~5-7 hours, depending on how good you are. But just like the first spiderman, there's a lot of side-stuff to do.

It's probably closer ~15 hours total. It's about the same size as the first Spiderman game (minus any DLC).
    Okay, cool. Are the side missions and the combat better than Spider-Man PS4?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okay, cool. Are the side missions and the combat better than Spider-Man PS4?
    I wouldn't rate it better. I would say it's about the same, tbh. If you liked the first one, and you feel you wanted more, this should deliver for you.

If you're looking for better or bigger, you might be disappointed. Especially since this one doesn't have additional content yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , Gamers Nexus measured a 94C temperature on their RAM testing with low ambient temperature (21C, eg in a 70F room), and they claim the temp will really be 5C to 10C higher on the chip itself. 94C alone would be bad enough but if it's really 99C-104C holy . Got real doubts about the longevity of the system if they're letting the RAM get that ing hot.

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Always enjoy the latest iteration of people freaking out over not getting their consoles at launch.

N64 to PS5 same story every time lmfao

I'll prob buy mine spring 2021ish, no rush on my lazy ass end.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Always enjoy the latest iteration of people freaking out over not getting their consoles at launch.

N64 to PS5 same story every time lmfao

I'll prob buy mine spring 2021ish, no rush on my lazy ass end.
    ill probably wait till black friday 2021 at the earliest depending on what deals look like. i'm not in a rush. still have way too much in my ps4 library

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ill probably wait till black friday 2021 at the earliest depending on what deals look like. i'm not in a rush. still have way too much in my ps4 library
    After hearing Microsoft talk about how they aren't expecting any cost per transistor savings in 5nm and 3nm lithography it sounds like there will not be any big price cuts this gen. At least on the disc version of the console. I can only see Sony dropping price on the digital-only PS5 to gain monopoly power for PSN on your PS5 and PS4 game purchases. Probably just best to buy when the games you want to play are already out and have dropped in price.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , Gamers Nexus measured a 94C temperature on their RAM testing with low ambient temperature (21C, eg in a 70F room), and they claim the temp will really be 5C to 10C higher on the chip itself. 94C alone would be bad enough but if it's really 99C-104C holy . Got real doubts about the longevity of the system if they're letting the RAM get that ing hot.

Early adapters.

I had no plans on buying a PS5 at all but I will probably do it for reasons. But I'll wait until there is a slim version and possibly even longer.

I'm not a fan of the white color. I assume they'll release them in other colors...namely standard black which this should have been in the first place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After hearing Microsoft talk about how they aren't expecting any cost per transistor savings in 5nm and 3nm lithography it sounds like there will not be any big price cuts this gen. At least on the disc version of the console. I can only see Sony dropping price on the digital-only PS5 to gain monopoly power for PSN on your PS5 and PS4 game purchases. Probably just best to buy when the games you want to play are already out and have dropped in price.
    if there's a PS5 + God of War bundle available black friday 2021 i'll probably buy for that alone tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if there's a PS5 + God of War bundle available black friday 2021 i'll probably buy for that alone tbh
    I could see it happening, but only with the digital version of the console. As much as I'd rather have the full PS5, if I get the new God of War and a PS5 digital for $400 I think I might jump on it, as the new God of War is one of the few games I'd pay full price for to buy at launch I'd value it as a $70 addon to the system. I wouldn't go with the digital version to save $100, but to save $170 I think I would.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

ing Jim Sterling

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    plus by then they'll probably release a slim version or a more compact version anyhow. i've learned my lesson from buying products at launch many years ago.

Thread Information