Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs were lucky it was a down year for the West. Gone are the days of getting 50 wins in the West to make the playoffs so they look in turn look more solid than they actually are.

Not to discredit them completely though, if you told me Derrick white was gonna be this good in his second year, I would have felt so much better about the Spurs post-Nephew.
    I never understood that this was the 100% explanation for the logic that less wins per conference = down year. To me it can also mean that the compe ion throughout the league is becoming more evened out. And at the end of the day I thought most people wanted more parity in the league?

Msg to GNSF; Be Bold Immortal Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never understood that this was the 100% explanation for the logic that less wins per conference = down year. To me it can also mean that the compe ion throughout the league is becoming more evened out. And at the end of the day I thought most people wanted more parity in the league?
    I agree 100%. and if durant leaves warriors the league is pretty much wide open imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chill, we lucked into playing one of the worst second seeds in the West in a long time ..

Would have been a curbstomping sweep vs the Warriors/Rockets and Guests probably beat us in 6..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would like to see Coach Bud come back once Gregg hangs it up to keep the system in place

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think for some in here winning is a disappointment, because then they can't use the Spurs struggles to vicariously vent their frustration with their own miserable lives.

Yeah, it couldn't be that some people analyzed the roster and cap situation, and saw a 1 year tank as the quickest way to get a talent infusion to get themselves back into serious contention for the LOB. It must be some weird sort of psychological mother-hating cry for help.

Buncha s crowing on a dunghill in this thread. I'd almost guarantee some of the same people were melting down after that Game 2 loss in Denver. Hindsight makes geniuses out of a lot of shoe clerks, and the internet makes lions out of a lot of mice. Present company excluded, of course.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just imagine for a second if we close out Denver, I think we would beat the Blazers or Thunder to face possibly the Rockets in the WCF. The way they have been playing, I think they beat the Warriors in the 2nd round and spurstalk would lose their mind if we make it to the finals against the Raptors haha. One can only dream.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs were lucky it was a down year for the West. Gone are the days of getting 50 wins in the West to make the playoffs so they look in turn look more solid than they actually are.

Not to discredit them completely though, if you told me Derrick white was gonna be this good in his second year, I would have felt so much better about the Spurs post-Nephew.
    All the west PO teams won at least 48 games this year...

Msg to GNSF; Be Bold Immortal Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chill, we lucked into playing one of the worst second seeds in the West in a long time ..

Would have been a curbstomping sweep vs the Warriors/Rockets and Guests probably beat us in 6..
    the basis of this thread is the proposition of a couple of our younger players turning out and what that could mean for our future... what are you going on about?
    obviously we would get stamped. White is reason for hope and excitement as well as Murray and Walker, not to mention our two first rounders. Basically in a Boston lite position going forward with the wealth of young talent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Blazers are next.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think for some in here winning is a disappointment, because then they can't use the Spurs struggles to vicariously vent their frustration with their own miserable lives.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Philly tanked for years and their still an incomplete team. How many wasted lottery picks did the 76ers screw up on and the picks they did hit ln, Embid and Simmons, don't mesh together at all on the court.
    Prime example.
    Look at GS-
    They had years of lottery picks before they hit gold with Curry and to a lesser degree Thompson.
    Boston has had a multiple prime draft picks and cap space to sign or absorb through trade - yet they seem far from a le contender.
    Of course there is the example of Sacramento......

I'm still on the fence- about whether it was better to tank or go with the current strategy- but tanking is definitely not a guarantee and can be quite painful.

My friend, in the last few years we went from Championship or bust to celebrating the possibility of not being eliminated in Rd 1. Regardless of what White, DJ or Lonnie do we have very few chance competing with the likes of GSW, MIL, HOU or TOR.

But I agree with you in the sense that this year's team is fun to watch, probably to most fun since 2014.
    I think the most disappointing part is that the Spurs came very close to remaining at least a borderline championship contender without having to tank. Or least most of thought that-who knows maybe the Nephew has been planning his escape for several years.

The next few years will be very interesting. LMA is 33 and only next year is fully guaranteed, DDR turns 30 over the summer on board for two more so not terrible.
    While White, Dejounte, Poodle, Walker etc are all intriguing- I still don't see a way this combination becomes even an outside contender in the next 5 years.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not afraid to say I was on the one year tank cause early on we we’re playing like crap and loosing bad. But have never been let’s trade our all stars and break up team that is crazy as I think we just need maybe one good SF away from being true contenders.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tanking is stupid, but "dynasty"? Really?

Don't counter one extreme with another.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

the west was blood bath this year with 14 out of 15 teams tryin to make the playoffs and the Spurs only lost 9 more games than Golden State. Add to that that about 10 of them were against bottom tier teams that the Spurs could've easily won (Bulls game at home, Memphis game where LA gets fouled on a 3, etc., etc.) and that's a good result especially with your starting PG being out for the season. If they reach the WCF this season is a success

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's no point in tanking. It just brings years of misery most of the time.
    Tanking got the spurs in a better position to land Duncan

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the basis of this thread is the proposition of a couple of our younger players turning out and what that could mean for our future... what are you going on about?
    obviously we would get stamped. White is reason for hope and excitement as well as Murray and Walker, not to mention our two first rounders. Basically in a Boston lite position going forward with the wealth of young talent.
    They might not even keep the 29th pick. It wouldn't be a surprise if they trade it away so not to pay the guaranteed contract.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just imagine for a second if we close out Denver, I think we would beat the Blazers or Thunder to face possibly the Rockets in the WCF. The way they have been playing, I think they beat the Warriors in the 2nd round and spurstalk would lose their mind if we make it to the finals against the Raptors haha. One can only dream.
    If the Rockets beat GS they are not losing to the Spurs.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, post of the year for sure.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is going to be a very very long time before the Spurs are in the finals again.

It wasn't until Duncan came that the Spurs were able to reach the finals and it is going to take another top level player like Duncan to get there again. It is going to take at least one year and likely more in the lottery to get that type of player.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Rockets beat GS they are not losing to the Spurs.
    IF they beat the Dubs, it might be just about the time for the annual CP0 playoff ending injury, and the annual Harden playoff disappearing act, so who knows?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    God damn if this isn't the truth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tanking got the spurs in a better position to land Duncan
    Except they didn't tank at all. That year was just brutal on the injury front. Robinson out to start the year, then comes back and almost immediately breaks his foot. There were games that year where the Spurs barely suited up 8 because of the injuries they had. It was so bad an ancient and fat Dominique was putting up 20+ PPG as the Spurs had no one else to get buckets.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information