Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What bothers you the most about the video game/console industry today? What do you think needs to change to maintain/improve quality in hardware and games? How do you feel about the culture/political climate in the industry?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mostly bland MP crap coming from non first party Western studios. It has really driven me to Japanese games the last couple of years.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Online multiplayer and it's heavy emphasis on like 90% of the games these days.

Online gameplay is basically mandatory and I hate it. On some games, fine but game studios feel the need to insert that on every games it seems.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sometimes I want to really plat a game I love but cant because of online trophies. They make you grind for it so insensibly.

100 hours for a bronze trophy.

Or play 500 online matches for an insignicant low tier trophy. Just pathetic man

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i dont give a about trophies. i dont like games that release so much paid DLC that its basically the cost of buying 2 games

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unfinished games constantly being released with bare content and tons of bugs, that and the way paid dlc and season passes has basically walled off half the game so unless you're willing to pay 100+ for the "ultimate edition"

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unfinished games constantly being released with bare content and tons of bugs, that and the way paid dlc and season passes has basically walled off half the game so unless you're willing to pay 100+ for the "ultimate edition"
    Sadly the buggy launches have been the norm ever since the beginning of the 360 gen once consoles with hard drives and internet connections became the norm.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    some dude with 4 posts trying to start some political bull . I wonder if the answer is pros utes though

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    - Buggy launches, as mentioned. Release now, patch later (or on the PC, rely on the community to fix it) has become SOP.
    - Lack of risk taking from AAA devs. They've fallen into the same franchise complacency as the movie industry. Expect 15 versions of Fornite over the next decade.
    - DLC, DLC, DLC. Just release a full in' game. Devs already have the DLC done by the time the standalone game releases.

I'm probably perceived as hating the modern gaming industry, but it's still strong. I just dislike when movie games are celebrated as among the greatest games of all-time or when fanboys of modern gaming believe today's games are fundamentally different than older games. Much like how dramatic structure has settled into 3 acts, game design has settled into certain core elements. In both artforms, we know "what works," generally speaking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of what people complain about is neccessary evil. Particularly the online aspect and DLC aspect in games none of which should really be a problem if done properly.

Lets take the wticher, HZD as an example. Huge fans of that game were screaming DLC after and the main game finished with completel satsifaction.

As for online multiplayer, we can take the Last of Us as an example, its got one of the best online multiplayer ever and even after 5 years people still play last of us online.

The issue here is execution. Not too many developers know how to ad them without affecting the main game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will say buggy releases and just releasing unfinished products is really the only thing that annoys me. Actually now that i think about it..microtransactions thats tied into progression is another ty thing.

But thankfully most games that do these are awful games and i stay away from it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    some dude with 4 posts trying to start some political bull . I wonder if the answer is pros utes though
    Its elnonos alt. He is probably working on a new game with his team.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure I mind multiplayer modes being inserted into games by default--if I don't want to play the mode, I just ignore it. But it does bother me that there's a huge move away from single player and toward multiplayer in general--along with micro-transactions and games-as-a-service models.
    baseline bum I've heard a lot of people say the same thing about Western vs. Japanese studios lately.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't really say I have a grievance.. Most I can think of that sucked over the last year or so was RDR2 not dropping on PC, but either way I have other to play

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of what people complain about is neccessary evil. Particularly the online aspect and DLC aspect in games none of which should really be a problem if done properly.

Lets take the wticher, HZD as an example. Huge fans of that game were screaming DLC after and the main game finished with completel satsifaction.

As for online multiplayer, we can take the Last of Us as an example, its got one of the best online multiplayer ever and even after 5 years people still play last of us online.

The issue here is execution. Not too many developers know how to ad them without affecting the main game.
    Sure. I get it. Since entertainment options are practically infinite today, releasing DLC every 3-6 months is a way to keep your IP relevant. Personally, I'd rather they'd cut out the filler in the main game (all games have it) and replace it with the DLC content, or just wait until the sequel. After spending 60 hours on a Witcher or something, I'm burnt out and don't want to see Geralt for another 2 years. I think the entertainment industry as a whole really underestimates how anticipation can drive interest. Waiting 2 years for a proper sequel builds up a potential release more than if that 2 year gap is bridged by 5 DLC releases. "How can we miss you if you never go away?" as the saying goes. Same in the movie industry. The countless Ant-Mans, Black Panthers, and other comic heroes getting their own films is basically "DLC" as fans wait between Avengers movies.

I realize my mentality is different, though, and probably not a realistic business model. Maybe this says less about the gaming industry and more about our consumption habits.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure. I get it. Since entertainment options are practically infinite today, releasing DLC every 3-6 months is a way to keep your IP relevant. Personally, I'd rather they'd cut out the filler in the main game (all games have it) and replace it with the DLC content, or just wait until the sequel. After spending 60 hours on a Witcher or something, I'm burnt out and don't want to see Geralt for another 2 years. I think the entertainment industry as a whole really underestimates how anticipation can drive interest. Waiting 2 years for a proper sequel builds up a potential release more than if that 2 year gap is bridged by 5 DLC releases. "How can we miss you if you never go away?" as the saying goes. Same in the movie industry. The countless Ant-Mans, Black Panthers, and other comic heroes getting their own films is basically "DLC" as fans wait between Avengers movies.

I realize my mentality is different, though, and probably not a realistic business model. Maybe this says less about the gaming industry and more about our consumption habits.
    DLC for the most part is a business decision and Games know exactly when to release them and they usually do at a stage where the game is still fairly popular but is generally a year or two away from the next installment.

Something to consider with DLC is that its content that the developers and publishers can freely set the price for without being held up by retail stores. Its a significantly bigger return.

I recall reading an article where a DLC was about 40% (profit numbers) of the developmental cost for that particular game.

It's really not so much about the interest judging from these numbers but rather the money they generate. Helps tremendously in creating sequels.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Live by these rules and you will do fine:

1.Never pre-order a game ever
    2.Dont buy DLCs

those two things have worked out for me like you wouldn't believe. A game has never gotten more money out of me than it should. Even games I love and respect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DLCs are mostly hardcore fans who love the game to a tee. Srs. I would buy a DLC for yakuza 0 and GOW

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Live by these rules and you will do fine:

1.Never pre-order a game ever
    2.Dont buy DLCs

those two things have worked out for me like you wouldn't believe. A game has never gotten more money out of me than it should. Even games I love and respect.
    Pre-ordering games became obsolete years ago. Don't know what would compell anybody to do it other than the free crap cosmetic DLC they bribe you with.

I never buy DLC anymore unless I know it's a full-fledged 20+ hour expansion (think Witcher 3 Blood and Wine, Dragon Age: Origins Awakening, etc) I don't bother firing up the game again or s ing out money for anything else.

I never play anything online. Ever.

And it's extremely rare (maybe once every couple years?) that I pay anything close to full price for a game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lots of value online games. I must have played a total of 100hrs in Apex legends since its releass.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Something that's really annoying is how sometimes it takes a long while for studios to release the games through codex etc...I mean I'm appreciative of the fact they give the games for free through alternative platforms but at the same time show some respect for the gaming community ffs

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I actually think you're right though. People are fickle, and they easily become bored with "too much of a good thing." But take that thing away, and they don't take it for granted. Giving an IP a few years off completely while you work on future content is a good way to rekindle interest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Something that's really annoying is how sometimes it takes a long while for studios to release the games through codex etc...I mean I'm appreciative of the fact they give the games for free through alternative platforms but at the same time show some respect for the gaming community ffs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    too many button combinations

who misses A to shoot, B to jump?

Thread Information