Page 27 of 93 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's revisit this suggestion after summer league, where I'm sure Lonnie will be featured this year. I for one am convinced that he is our best hope for a future franchise player on the current roster, and wouldn't consider trading him until proved otherwise.
    With Lonnie I have the least expectation from our young prospects to become something valuable, so I want to sell him high as long that he might having some false promise to some teams, I don't see him becoming more than a worst version of jR Smith...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With Lonnie I have the least expectation from our young prospects to become something valuable, so I want to sell him high as long that he might having some false promise to some teams, I don't see him becoming more than a worst version of jR Smith...
    JR Smith? From what I read about the kid he is very involved with the youth programs in both Reading and San Antonio, Duncan and Pop has taken a shine to him, and he his a gym rat with......

Ohh nevermind didn't notice your no more Pop postscript.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol JR. Smith

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    go watch his play how he lack decision making, iq and feel...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When have the spurs ever shed 2-3 players in one off season to sign a guy?
    RJ . . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look, I would prefer SA not to give up assets to dump people (Beli, Patty, Bertans). If it’s small assets like 2nd rounders then I’d be ok, but not firsts.

However, the reason for trades is so the temptation for Pop is gone; if all the new guys play well and Pop buries Beli/Mills at least I will be fine with Mills/Beli sliding into the Cunningham/Pondexter roles. I don’t want them gone just of the sake of it; I want them gone because of what they represent opportunity wise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look, I would prefer SA not to give up assets to dump people (Beli, Patty, Bertans). If it’s small assets like 2nd rounders then I’d be ok, but not firsts.

However, the reason for trades is so the temptation for Pop is gone; if all the new guys play well and Pop buries Beli/Mills at least I will be fine with Mills/Beli sliding into the Cunningham/Pondexter roles. I don’t want them gone just of the sake of it; I want them gone because of what they represent opportunity wise.
    They don't need to attach assets to dump Beli/Bertans. Both those guys have positive value (due to their shooting + length/amount of contract). Packaging them for a 3&D combo forward makes too much sense that I'm not even sure if the thought has crossed RC's mind....

Patty isn't going anywhere because A) Because Pop would never trade him while he still runs the organization B) They'd have to attach a future first rounder at a minimum to get rid of that contract. He has negative value, his biggest asset to the team (culture) is worthless to most other teams (especially since a Raptors squad led by a s bag just rang).....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They don't need to attach assets to dump Beli/Bertans. Both those guys have positive value (due to their shooting + length/amount of contract). Packaging them for a 3&D combo forward makes too much sense that I'm not even sure if the thought has crossed RC's mind....

Patty isn't going anywhere because A) Because Pop would never trade him while he still runs the organization B) They'd have to attach a future first rounder at a minimum to get rid of that contract. He has negative value, his biggest asset to the team (culture) is worthless to most other teams (especially since a Raptors squad led by a s bag just rang).....
    Maybe, but the point remains. I would tend to agree about Beli/Bertans but I’m not sure so the point was important; you don’t give up firsts to dump them just to open up minutes. You only give up firsts if you can land a legit free agent/trade upgrade.

Otherwise, you just bury them in the rotation and keep them around as good end of bench teammates that practice hard and that you can rely on to be ready in the event they need to play (young guys struggling, injuries, etc.).

I would be more than fine using a first to dump Mills if it meant adding to the real core to help win now via FA/Trade. But I think the young guys will be ready to fill a void that any free agent or trade would bring.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would offer...Bertans and Forbes for Robert Covington and a second round pick...or expand it and make it Mills, Bertans, Forbes for Covington and Dieng...we get a true 3 & d guy locked up for 3 more years and get a third big man...Bertans and Forbes seem like they are the odd men out..we might have to add a pick or a euro stash to sweeten the deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

There's zero point in trading assets to dump players just for cap space. That's certainly true if they do so just so sign a marginal player who happens to look more like what fans want. A lot of fans on this site seem to believe absolute -tier players on other clubs HAVE to be better than the Spurs rotation players. It's just really weird. Of course, proven good role-players like Aminu would help, but they wouldn't help nearly as much as I think people want to believe. I certainly wouldn't dump picks into a trade just to come out with someone like that.

I do think Bogdanovic is worth giving up a first, though. Rather, I would feel comfortable if PATFO were to be willing to give up a pick to get Bogs on a long-term deal. He'd really help stabilize the offense and allow the role-players to spec on defense much more. The whole reason why Beli, Mills and Bertans were so important last year is because the team needed someone who could shoot and put points on the club so Murray and Poeltl could focus on defense and boarding. Turning those guys into a more consistent and talented player reduces the variability in that dynamic. The team would have four go-to scorers and could let the other guys focus on stopping the other team and getting opportunistic scores.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's zero point in trading assets to dump players just for cap space. That's certainly true if they do so just so sign a marginal player who happens to look more like what fans want. A lot of fans on this site seem to believe absolute -tier players on other clubs HAVE to be better than the Spurs rotation players. It's just really weird. Of course, proven good role-players like Aminu would help, but they wouldn't help nearly as much as I think people want to believe. I certainly wouldn't dump picks into a trade just to come out with someone like that.

I do think Bogdanovic is worth giving up a first, though. Rather, I would feel comfortable if PATFO were to be willing to give up a pick to get Bogs on a long-term deal. He'd really help stabilize the offense and allow the role-players to spec on defense much more. The whole reason why Beli, Mills and Bertans were so important last year is because the team needed someone who could shoot and put points on the club so Murray and Poeltl could focus on defense and boarding. Turning those guys into a more consistent and talented player reduces the variability in that dynamic. The team would have four go-to scorers and could let the other guys focus on stopping the other team and getting opportunistic scores.
    I agree and to further that point I think SA’s youth would actually do WAY more than most people would expect. Getting some marginal FA/Trade piece that is a name while maybe needing to give up assets? Nah, I’d rather let the youth soak those minutes while keeping assets and they will be better anyways.

But yeah, if there is truly something meaningful, I’m all for it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I would be happy with a Bogdanovic for Bertans trade. Pacers are unlikely to pay premium for Bogdanovic, so it's a high possibility. Bogdanovic is a more versatile player than Bertans, so I think its worth losing a good 3 point shooter.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of people irrationally hate Forbes, but there's no way he's on the "must-trade" list. He should be getting minutes next year, not because loyalty, but because he played his ass off and has improved dramatically each season. So long as Bryn is affordable for a third or fourth guard, you keep him around.

It is possible to do this trade, but there's no need to include Forbes unless it strongly reduces the amount of sweetener the Spurs would have to give up. Bertans and Beli can combine to match about $17.8 Million in salary. That should be (hopefully more than) enough for the first year of Bojan's salary. The team shouldn't be in any danger of nearing the tax unless they also use the full MLE. Even so, they should end up with enough breathing room not to worry about accidentally going over. And they could get even more room by getting the Pacers to take Metu and replacing Chim with a rookie.

The difficulty of luring Bogdanovic will probably lie in attempting to get him to accept more of an off ball role again. He would check a lot of boxes though . . .

- Second starting caliber wing (White is not a good enough shooter to serve as the lone spacer in the starting lineup and it'd be a waste of his talent to attempt to shoehorn him into that).
    - Although far from an ideal option, big, strong and compe ive enough to get by defending elite big wings. Can also play some stretch four.
    - Effectively combines the best of Bertans and Belinelli, while mitigating their weaknesses and making a semblance of sense of the roster.
    - Provides good insurance if/when DeRozan is gone in 1-2 years. Even if Murray, White and Walker develop as hoped, they'll still likely need someone alongside who can provide firepower without stepping on their toes.

- An asset of some sort would probably have to be attached for some team to take Bertans and Belinelli into cap space, for the simple fact that whatever team that might be would do so knowing they'd be doing the Spurs a favor. I agree that they've built up enough equity on this front that they can afford to spare a 1st, especially considering the likelihood that it would land probably in the early (maybe even mid) 20s if they were to sign Bogdanovic.
    Last edited by TD 21; 06-23-2019 at 05:34 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Not a trade .i meant more trading/dumping guys to sign a potential fa

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the main problem I see by getting Bogdanovic is that you would need a defensive minded 4 next to him. If you play Bojan and DeMar on the wings your PF better be a good defender. I don't think Pop will or should start 2 bigs (LA/Poeltl)

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    are people consistently referring to bogdan bogdanovic or bojan bogdanovic?

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    ahh, bojan is a FA. didn't know that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the main problem I see by getting Bogdanovic is that you would need a defensive minded 4 next to him. If you play Bojan and DeMar on the wings your PF better be a good defender. I don't think Pop will or should start 2 bigs (LA/Poeltl)
    Aminu for the mle

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The difficulty of luring Bogdanovic will probably lie in attempting to get him to accept more of an off ball role again. He would check a lot of boxes though . . .

- Second starting caliber wing (White is not a good enough shooter to serve as the lone spacer in the starting lineup and it'd be a waste of his talent to attempt to shoehorn him into that).
    - Although far from an ideal option, big, strong and compe ive enough to get by defending elite big wings. Can also play some stretch four.
    - Effectively combines the best of Bertans and Belinelli, while mitigating their weaknesses and making a semblance of sense of the roster.
    - Provides good insurance if/when DeRozan is gone in 1-2 years. Even if Murray, White and Walker develop as hoped, they'll still likely need someone alongside who can provide firepower without stepping on their toes.

- An asset of some sort would probably have to be attached for some team to take Bertans and Belinelli into cap space, for the simple fact that whatever team that might be would do so knowing they'd be doing the Spurs a favor. I agree that they've built up enough equity on this front that they can afford to spare a 1st, especially considering the likelihood that it would land probably in the early (maybe even mid) 20s if they were to sign Bogdanovic.
    I always conceived a move for Bojan as also moving on from DDR. It would be interesting to have them both, but fear it may stifle the growth of one of the 4 young wings.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always conceived a move for Bojan as also moving on from DDR. It would be interesting to have them both, but fear it may stifle the growth of one of the 4 young wings.
    Probably after next season. The thing is, they'd get minimal value by trading DeRozan and would have to take back an unsavory contract or two. They likely figure, might as well keep him for one more season, not put too much on the young guards too soon, try to put together the best possible team and make a deep run in what's shaping up to be the most wide open the league has been since Jordan's sabbatical.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aminu for the mle
    A Bogdanovic sign and trade would let us keep bird rights on Rudy and the MLE right? That would be the ideal scenario, to get Bojan and still have the MLE for a defensive minded small ball PF

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bogdanovic is better than one can reasonably expect the young wings to become. Someone like Cun getting minutes is stifling youth. Having a quality starter in front of them makes the team better now and in the future. I also don't see this as an either/or thing with DeRozan. They fit together just fine. Bojan would do a lot of what Beli or Mills did along with a good deal of what White did. Having one of White or Murray on the bench is better for the team if it comes from having a quality player next to them. Sure, could him coming off the bench as the true sixth man also work? Yes. But the Spurs aren't just playing to the future. They want to win now without sacrificing their young talent, and it should be really affordable to bring in Bogdanovic. With him, the team has really good PG, SG, SF and Center depth. If they use the MLE on a PF like Aminu, they'd be strong at all five positions. It's not a superteam, but it'd have that 2012-level depth that might grow into 2014 depth with another year or two to gelling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A Bogdanovic sign and trade would let us keep bird rights on Rudy and the MLE right? That would be the ideal scenario, to get Bojan and still have the MLE for a defensive minded small ball PF
    Agree. And yes, an S&T would accomplish that. It's definitely the path that gives the team the most room to improve their roster while staying under the tax.

Murray, White, Mills
    DeRozan, Forbes, Weatherspoon
    Bogdanovic, Walker, Johnson
    Aminu, Gay, Samanic
    Aldridge, Poeltl, Metu/Eubanks

That's the kind of team where they could win games during the RRT when Aldridge and DeRozan sit and where even the garbage unit looks good. It doesn't have the ceiling of some teams, but its floor is really high.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    praying for this miracle

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's the sign & trade proposal for Bogdanovic? Beli/Forbes/Bertans?

Thread Information