Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    Where's our boy tlongII ? good time for him to up the forum
    Maybe if we get past next round.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem is less where the line is and more how defenses have been neutered above the arc. The NBA wants this.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Maybe if we get past next round.
    I dread the day, tbh. You've been camping on the chance for years

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    Emmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for those stats. Jesus, 26% on 30 to 40 footers. This basically means a 30 to 40 footer has slightly less value (7.8 points per 10 attempts) than a 16-22 footer (8 points on 10 attempts). Unbalanced as .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for those stats. Jesus, 26% on 30 to 40 footers. This basically means a 30 to 40 footer has slightly less value (7.8 points per 10 attempts) than a 16-22 footer (8 points on 10 attempts). Unbalanced as .
    At the same time, gotta give credit where credit is due. He and Steph have almost perfected their craft. Their skill levels and range are legendary and definitely not the norm.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At the same time, gotta give credit where credit is due. He and Steph have almost perfected their craft. Their skill levels and range are legendary and definitely not the norm.
    26 percent is league wide, not just Steph and Lillard's percentage. Sure. All the credit. Any good player works to exploit an efficiency. Personally, it's not a craft I find intriguing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ah, so I saw Lollard made a 37 footer at the buzzer. I figured it might've been some desperation heave as time ran out. Nope. Ten seconds left on the clock, Lollard isos with a couple lazy dribbles, and then pulls up and drains the shot like an 18 footer. I think we need to move the line back. Skillsets have caught up to the standard distances (except when the Spurs are shooting ). The NBA game looks like in' street ball. today's NBA.

Hate away. I know some on here love this .
    I thought of your hatred for the 3 point line as soon as he jacked that shot up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't blame them. Makes all the sense in the world. Why shoot a 2 point shot at a 40 percent success rate when you can shoot a 3 at about the same rate for 50% more points? My dislike probably has to do more with people claiming how great this era is and then replying with "old man at cloud" to any arguments why it isn't good basketball. We've lost the post-game (Hakeem would be a 3 point big today. Tragedy), the mid-post game, mid range shots are the new desperation shots, teams are handcuffed on the defense, huge in' lanes for penetration, making it less attritional. The sport has lost a load of nuances. To me, feels like watching rec league basketball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, Down Under, Australian right? I think we've talked cricket before. Wasn't there an era of fast pitches and the only bowling approach that basically worked was fast bowling (I think Warne was the one who brought back spin)? Basketball is in its era of fast pitches.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, Down Under, Australian right? I think we've talked cricket before. Wasn't there an era of fast pitches and the only bowling approach that basically worked was fast bowling (I think Warne was the one who brought back spin)? Basketball is in its era of fast pitches.
    Pretty much. The pitches weren't covered, so they would crack quickly & the batsman were as scared of getting killed as losing their wicket, so you might as well bowl quick. I save the Abe Simpson yelling at the cloud for political discussion generally . I 100% agree with the 3 point thing, I think people get more upset because they feel athletes & ball handlers are much better today, which I agree with on the whole, but the 3 point thing is going to come to a head in the next couple of seasons as more & more teams shoot 60+ & possibly even 70 threes/game. It's really hard to watch when its gotten to that stage with Houston already.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    really wasn’t a dumb shot.

a) idk what his percentage from 3 is but dame has been knocking them down this series
    b) the game was tied... if blazers were down then yeah, different story
    c) dude was open
    d) he ended a series with houston in a very similar fashion

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    really wasn’t a dumb shot.

a) idk what his percentage from 3 is but dame has been knocking them down this series
    b) the game was tied... if blazers were down then yeah, different story
    c) dude was open
    d) he ended a series with houston in a very similar fashion
    I didn't necessarily say it was a bad shot. I'm using it as an example of how modern players have basically mastered long distance shooting to the point where other tactics are much less effective. It's a shoot or die league now, whereas in the past, being adaptable to any style was the way to team build. Peak Shaq doesn't flourish in today's game. Some people might see that as an "improvement," but Shaq was one of the most unique athletes of all-time. I don't think peak Duncan flourishes, either. He's the greatest paint anchor of all-time, shutting down penetration nearly by himself, forcing teams into long jumpers. They'd just PnR him to death now.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just to spitball, how about turning off the three-point line in the first and third quarters?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know it's not going to happen, but I would like to see the NBA remove the 3 pt line just for kicks

It would be a fun experiment tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't necessarily say it was a bad shot. I'm using it as an example of how modern players have basically mastered long distance shooting to the point where other tactics are much less effective. It's a shoot or die league now, whereas in the past, being adaptable to any style was the way to team build. Peak Shaq doesn't flourish in today's game. Some people might see that as an "improvement," but Shaq was one of the most unique athletes of all-time. I don't think peak Duncan flourishes, either. He's the greatest paint anchor of all-time, shutting down penetration nearly by himself, forcing teams into long jumpers. They'd just PnR him to death now.
    yeah but how many guys are regularly taking/making 30+ foot shots mid... you're rewriting the rules because out some outliers. like the ncaa banning dunks because of alcindor

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    I know it's not going to happen, but I would like to see the NBA remove the 3 pt line just for kicks

It would be a fun experiment tbh
    Last 5 minutes of each quarter has a half court 4 point shot. Nigglets would lose their minds

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    This is hilarious:

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Dame:
    It was a good shot.

I think a lot of people don’t know what goes into the moments. That’s because they’re not the ones that’s there. I literally work on those shots. And I don’t work on it so I can just come out and just shoot it for the whole game. I work on it just because, over my career, I know how much attention I’m going to get from defenses. So it’s just like you’re just keeping stuff, adding more things, adding more and more, keeping stuff in your pocket, in case these types of situations do present itself. Even if it’s not something you want to lean on, it’s something that you have there, that you worked on, you spent time doing. So, you’ve got confidence in it when the time does come. That’s why, when I was just standing there, I was like, well, it’s probably not good in a lot of people’s eyes. But I’m comfortable with this, and I’m confident in this. So, to me, it’s a solid shot.

For him to say that’s a bad shot, that’s just kind of being a poor sport. If anything, it was bad defense, because I had the ball in my hands with two seconds, and I wasn’t going to drive, so maybe he should’ve just bodied up.
    With 2 seconds left, Playoff P played him for the drive

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Dame:

With 2 seconds left, Playoff P played him for the drive
    Much easier to make a 35 foot stationary shot with defender 3 feet back than hit a 30 foot shot on the run & defender in face

George dumb

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    George was ready. He just didn’t expect him to shoot it from THAT far because that was a dumb shot. And even at that, he made a good contest on the shot.

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    That’s not a dumb shot for Dame or Steph.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fair point. I'd like any solution that gets the league wide average on 3s down to about 25%. The original intention of the shot was to supposed to be a Home run/Hail Mary type play, not a shot you take 40 times a game and one you take from 37 feet out in the playoffs. People are no doubt entertained by this, but I think it goes against the spirit of the team game basketball is supposed to be when isolating yourself for a 37 footer is a "good play." Athletes are catching up to distances/rules in all sports, due to the rise of analytics finding exploits, leading to more focus on training to take advantage of those exploits. Outcome is an unbalanced sport. NBA won't change anything, though. 37 footers are perfect twitterverse highlights.
    You about the NBA, but isn't baseball supposedly doing the same? Swinging for home runs more?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You about the NBA, but isn't baseball supposedly doing the same? Swinging for home runs more?
    They are (any they don't swing for the fences every pitch), but the result is a whopping 1 more homerun per game compared to a low power year, like 1989 (total, meaning .5 more homers per team over 9 innings). If homeruns were 40% of all hits, I would have the same problem. But you saw I said athletes are catching to distances/rules in all sports. Where baseball has its balance issue is with pitching. As I told Harlem, seems like everyone throws 98mph now with off-speed stuff that is just nasty. Then when hitters be might getting a read on the pitcher (batters hit about .270 3rd time vs. .247 1st time), the game is handed off to the bullpen, where some pitchers only face a single batter. Hitters are way behind the arms race.

MLB is taking steps to address this by forcing relievers to have to face a minimum of 3 batters (coming next season). Moving the mound back and raising the strikezone has also been proposed. Rule changes will eventually come no matter, though. Pitching will keep getting better and better at a faster rate than hitters can get better, under modern rules and dimensions.

NBA will never change because this is the style of game fans prefer.

Thread Information