Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How an early Biden crime bill created the sentencing disparity for crack and cocaine trafficking

,a little-noticed provision in the law came to be viewed as

one of the most racially slanted sentencing policies on record:

a rule that treated crack cocaine as significantly worse than powder cocaine and

ended up disproportionately punishing African Americans.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...nl_most&wpmm=1

There was some logic to the bill. Crack and freebase are about 100 times as addictive as the original powder form.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There was some logic to the bill. Crack and freebase are about 100 times as addictive as the original powder form.
    criminalizing, locking up users solves nothing

the bill was aimed at the violence around the drug trafficking.

I bet they locked up more users than traffickers.

And of course, white man's laws intended to create the "black" incarceration nation BigPrison industry, and give LE something to do.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe he was just tired ...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In Latest Gaffe, Biden Claims He Was Vice President During 2018 Parkland Shooting

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/08/joe-biden-gaffe-vice-president-parkland-shooting.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When Did Joe Biden Start Believing He Had Opposed the Iraq War?

And how could he have been surprised that authorizing the use of military force meant Bush would use military force?

[Biden] explained that his rationale in authorizing the use of military force in Iraq in 2002 was based on a commitment he had received from then-President George W. Bush that he would not go to war in Iraq.

“[Bush] looked me in the eye in the Oval Office.

He said he needed the vote to be able to get inspectors into Iraq to determine whether or not Saddam Hussein was engaged in dealing with a nuclear program,” said Biden.

“He got them in and before you know it, we had ‘shock and awe.’ ” …

“Immediately, that moment it started, I came out against the war at that moment,” Biden told NPR.

This version of events is so twisted that the very next sentence of the NPR story starts debunking the idea that Biden was antiwar.

But it’s worth unpacking more fully.

Let’s start from the beginning and work our way through:

So … given that it’s extremely at odds with both the public record and the themes of his campaign,

why is Biden claiming that George W. Bush fooled him into accidentally voting to start a war?

Probably because the most central theme of his campaign, and indeed the theme of his
    entire career, is that

Joe Biden represents the common-sense majority consensus of the American public against extremists on both sides.

In 2002 and 2003, a wide majority of Americans felt that Bush was a good president and that invading Iraq was a good idea, and thus Joe Biden for the most part felt that way too.

In 2019, though, those positions are, at best,
    contestedones, and thus Joe Biden no longer holds them either.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/09/joe-biden-iraq-vote-what-now.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden calls the manager to have Giuliani cancelled on TV:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/biden-...-rudy-giuliani

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden calls the manager to have Giuliani cancelled on TV:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/biden-...-rudy-giuliani
    His aides might be trying to save Rudy from himself.
    didnt work for Trump.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Why didn't the Republican Congress who funded all that investigate?

Because it was a nothingburger.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why didn't the Republican Congress who funded all that investigate?

Because it was a nothingburger.
    Poor people not getting their welfare is a nothing burger?

Neutered Chump

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The worst news for Joe Biden Tuesday had nothing to do with the debate

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/10/16/pol...www.cnn.com%2F

No money Biden
    Lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    omg! impeach!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, it's not. Crack has a lower boiling point making it easier to smoke but it has no different pharmacological effect. You can still smoke the powder and it's much easier to dissolve the powder for IV use.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, it's not. Crack has a lower boiling point making it easier to smoke but it has no different pharmacological effect. You can still smoke the powder and it's much easier to dissolve the powder for IV use.
    Pro tip

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What that they are both dangerous and people that pretend that powder is safer are morons?

I'm just pointing out how NIDA and the Reagan administration lied.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This Cuomo's Law thing is hilarious

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hmmm

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    JOE BIDEN’S ROLE IN CREATING THE STUDENT DEBT CRISIS STRETCHES BACK TO THE 1970S

Early in his senatorial career, Biden played a role in making it easier for students and parents to take out burdensome loans, spanning across several decades.

Later, his landmark bankruptcy reform legislation made it nearly impossible to discharge student loans,

birthing a predatory industry and sinking millions into unsustainable levels of debt.
    In 1978, Biden supported the Middle Income Student Assistance Act, which eliminated income restrictions on federal loans to expand eligibility to all students.

Biden helped write a separate bill that year blocking students from seeking bankruptcy protections on those loans after graduation. (The income restrictions on federal loans were reinstated in 1981.)

Then he went on to vote to create the Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students, or PLUS, program in 1980 and the Auxiliary Loans to Assist Students, or ALAS, program in 1981, which extended loan eligibility to students with no parental financial support.

“Within a few years, the crackdown [on student debtors filing for bankruptcy] that began in 1978 would extend beyond just government loans.

“Under that bill — which was signed into law by President Ronald Reagan — bankruptcy exemptions were extended to non-higher-education loans like those for vocational schools,

“Loosened loan eligibility requirements, together with two new federal loan programs, increased student borrowing from $1.8 billion in 1977 to $12 billion in 1989,”

as a senator from Delaware, Biden was one of the most enthusiastic supporters of the disastrous 2005 bankruptcy bill that made it nearly impossible for borrowers to reduce their student loan debt.

Biden came back to the legislation under the Bush administration; it passed the Senate in 2005 on a 74-25 vote, with most Democratic lawmakers, including then-Sen. Barack Obama, voting against it.

The total amount of private student loan debt more than doubled between 2005 and 2011, growing from $55.9 billion to $140.2 billion,

the 2005 bankruptcy bill led to a surge of foreclosures that may not have happened otherwise, translating to an additional 29,000 foreclosures every three months.

Biden, who has said he’s still paying off $298,000 in student debt for his three children,

opposes free college and student debt forgiveness, calling it unrealistic.

https://theintercept.com/2020/01/07/joe-biden-student-loans/?utm_source=The+Intercept+Newsletter&utm_campaign= 63cca9a438-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_01_11&utm_medium=email&utm_ter m=0_e00a5122d3-63cca9a438-133929861

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's going to be out of the race very quickly once his track record gets more exposed.
    Lol. sorry man this cracked me up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry man I love you Will but I gotta do this

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden leads among black voters for a reason

The top tier of the Democratic field is white because black voters, generally speaking, want it that way.

No candidate will win the Democratic presidential nomination without significant support from African Americans.

They are the foundation of the party, and

black women are its backbone.

they want Trump defeated and they think former vice president
    Joe Biden is the person to do it.

Biden led on “best chance to defeat Trump” (53 percent),

“handles issues important to blacks” (32 percent),

“would unite the country” (43 percent),

“strong character” (33 percent)

and “closest on issues” (35 percent).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/01/11/biden-leads-among-black-voters-reason/

The well-known amnesia, memory lasting 15 minutes max, of Americans is what apparently will be Biden's greatest strength.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden leads among black voters for a reason

The top tier of the Democratic field is white because black voters, generally speaking, want it that way.

No candidate will win the Democratic presidential nomination without significant support from African Americans.

They are the foundation of the party, and

black women are its backbone.

they want Trump defeated and they think former vice president
    Joe Biden is the person to do it.

Biden led on “best chance to defeat Trump” (53 percent),

“handles issues important to blacks” (32 percent),

“would unite the country” (43 percent),

“strong character” (33 percent)

and “closest on issues” (35 percent).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/01/11/biden-leads-among-black-voters-reason/

The well-known amnesia, memory lasting 15 minutes max, of Americans is what apparently will be Biden's greatest strength.

Joe Biden is a man who has devoted his entire life to public service and to the well being of working families and the middle class.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Joe Biden is a man who has devoted his entire life to public service and to the well being of working families and the middle class.
    No politician has ever done that actually but there's something to be said about diplomacy. Not sure Biden is the best candidate for that, but the pickin's are a might slim.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No politician has ever done that actually but there's something to be said about diplomacy. Not sure Biden is the best candidate for that, but the pickin's are a might slim.
    lol thats a Bernie Sanders quote from like 5-10 years ago. Some guy tweeted it the other day without context and he was swarmed with Bernie Bros telling him biden is an evil pos

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AaronY is wasting his time

BernieBros are WOKE. They not gonna abandon Bernie. Bernie or bust.

Thread Information