Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    abortions arent' some casual decision people make. women always describe the decision making process as traumatic or even depressing... its obviously not the position they want to be in.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I'd be happy to consider curtailing abortion if its opponents didn't also oppose birth control and practical sex education.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    3rd trimester abortions really should be avoided outside of rare cir stances.
    is there any evidence that "rare cir stances" ISN'T the case?

" a little more than 1 percent occur sometime after 21 weeks, which is still well within the second trimester."

"These are tragic situations, and

there's a tremendous sense of pain and loss and anguish for the woman and their family to end the pregnancy.

So this is not something they want to do," Hern told NPR.

"They want to have a baby; they don't want to have an abortion."

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/30/718546468/opponents-fight-efforts-to-protect-late-term-abortion-rights

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count

is there any evidence that "rare cir stances" ISN'T the case?

" a little more than 1 percent occur sometime after 21 weeks, which is still well within the second trimester."

"These are tragic situations, and

there's a tremendous sense of pain and loss and anguish for the woman and their family to end the pregnancy.

So this is not something they want to do," Hern told NPR.

"They want to have a baby; they don't want to have an abortion."

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/30/718546468/opponents-fight-efforts-to-protect-late-term-abortion-rights

I never said there was evidence rare cir stances isn't the case.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always wonder why the "life begins at conception" crowd isn't raising absolute over fertility clinics discarding thousands and thousands of fertilized embryos every year.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I always wonder why the "life begins at conception" crowd isn't raising absolute over fertility clinics discarding thousands and thousands of fertilized embryos every year.
    A lot of the life begins at conception loons would undoubtedly be raising about that if they were capable of processing information and knowing it was happening

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of the life begins at conception loons would undoubtedly be raising about that if they were capable of processing information and knowing it was happening
    Oh I guarantee a good number of them have done IVF, had the analysis done on which embryos met certain criteria, and thought nothing of tossing the other dozen away.

But, it's different because they didn't have sex to create them, I guess?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Oh I guarantee a good number of them have done IVF, had the analysis done on which embryos met certain criteria, and thought nothing of tossing the other dozen away.

But, it's different because they didn't have sex to create them, I guess?
    It's different because their megachurch pastor hasn't told them it's something they should be outraged by

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if it's not in woman's uterus, then the pro-forced-birthers can't try to control it. They don't care about orphan embryos. Their victim is the woman only

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if it's not in woman's uterus, then the pro-forced-birthers can't try to control it. They don't care about orphan embryos. Their victim is the woman only
    probably because that wasn't god's choice and was man made per se. idk tbh just my 2 cents of what i imagine they think.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this is all assuming the premise that you win by attracting centrists... in a country like ours with ty voter participation (only 58% of eligible citizens voted), there are untapped votes in your own base that can just be "energized" to go out and vote.

if voter participation was closer to 80%, then it stops being viable to try harder and harder to extract more votes out of your base, and appealing to "win over" centrists becomes a legitimate strategy
    This is like things far leftists tell themselves to feel better 101 lol. No wonder people like you are so astonished Biden is doing well. Out of touch tbh

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    This is like things far leftists tell themselves to feel better 101 lol. No wonder people like you are so astonished Biden is doing well. Out of touch tbh
    Whoever said they're astonished that Biden is doing well? I'd say it's more frustrating than astonishing that people still buy into the win the center that already a tried a true failure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how does that make anyone feel better?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Whoever said they're astonished that Biden is doing well? I'd say it's more frustrating than astonishing that people still buy into the win the center that already a tried a true failure.
    Which far left presidential campaigns were successful in the past 50 years?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how does that make anyone feel better?
    The reality is rose twitter and progressivism are way more popular in the internet than in reality. The people who vote in the democrat primaries represent a very small portion of the electorate already. Making matters even worse, John Oliver even had a segment back in the day about how the primaries which feature an insanely small percent of the general pop is partially tearing this country apart as many normal people dont vote in them so generally unpopular things whether they be far left or far right ideas like the border wall (which has always been about 60-40 against: https://news.gallup.com/poll/246455/...rder-wall.aspx) even become issues. AOC was blown like she was the second coming for keeping Amazon headquarters out of NYC on twitter but irl polls shows most New Yorkers were way against her doing that like way against it. There's even this hilarious campaign to have AOC primary Schumer or Gillibrand which would be one of the funniest things of all time. If she wents against Gillibrand who's very popular she would lose like 80-20 and rose twitter would be astonished. So far left is not even that popular in the primaries and way less popular irl basically

Its going to be pretty hilarious if in 2 years Biden cruises through the primaries and beats Trump by 4-5 points looking back at all these theories tbh

Spurraider21 the other day was looking at all the polls and saw Biden on top of all them and admitted he had no clue why anyone would ever vote for Biden. Like it baffled him. He directly said it. He was also seem absolutely shocked when ChumpDumper was pointing that Sanders always being too good to actually join the Democratic party was an issue when it is a HUGE issue among older people in my family at least who are Democrats. He made it out like it was some kind of idiosyncratic thing chumpdumper thought up as far as I can tell. Progressives really, really, really look down on traditional Democrats and they dont hide it well at all (see any WillHunting post for evidence spurraider).

More than anything people in reality and not on rose twitter just want things to just go back to the way they were. If Obama were able to run again (like lets say the 2 term limit rule was only no more than 2 consecutive terms in a row) he could come out tomorrow with an entire premise of having literally no new ideas at all he would cruise through the Dem primaries like it was nothing. Policies are somewhat important but personal charisma, speaking ability etc is still a huge factor. Biden in the past has been very good debater so I think he will continue to do well even after the debats and the people who thought this was Bernie's turn and he would be the one polling in a huge lead like Biden is now will continue to make lame excuses for him like they did when he lost the 2016 democratic primary by 3.7 million votes nationwide.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which far left presidential campaigns were successful in the past 50 years?
    The progressive Bernie Bro thing is actually funny in so many ways. Bernie refuses to be called a Democrat and no one understands why people who have been proud democrats all their lives might even be offended by this. My uncle is 72 years old and a lifelong dem he went door to door for kennedy in 1960 since he was too young to actually vote then, voted for Carter twice, liked the Clintons (and points out that in reality Clinton left office with the highest approval rating since WWII and makes many good points about the positives that happened when he was in office) and was really proud to elect the first black president ever but progressives he interacts with on the internet are really snide to him and make it like he is the cause of all kinds of problems in the world. Also Bernie Bros take a lot of little shots at Obama about the drones and bankers he hired and...........not really a genius move since he has like an 87% approval rating among democrats and is almost like a beloved cult religious figure at this point but they do it a lot and they cant help themselves.

its hilarious. almost like if I wanted to run for the head of the Christian religious party and had three policies
    1) dont ever call me a christian
    2) myself and my people kind of look down on christians
    3) now not going to come right out and call jesus a piece of myself but will make all kinds of critical remarks about him

then i call rigging when i dont do well lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The reality is rose twitter and progressivism are way more popular in the internet than in reality. The people who vote in the democrat primaries represent a very small portion of the electorate already. Making matters even worse, John Oliver even had a segment back in the day about how the primaries which feature an insanely small percent of the general pop is partially tearing this country apart as many normal people dont vote in them so generally unpopular things whether they be far left or far right ideas like the border wall (which has always been about 60-40 against: https://news.gallup.com/poll/246455/...rder-wall.aspx) even become issues. AOC was blown like she was the second coming for keeping Amazon headquarters out of NYC on twitter but irl polls shows most New Yorkers were way against her doing that like way against it. There's even this hilarious campaign to have AOC primary Schumer or Gillibrand which would be one of the funniest things of all time. If she wents against Gillibrand who's very popular she would lose like 80-20 and rose twitter would be astonished. So far left is not even that popular in the primaries and way less popular irl basically
    i hear you here

Its going to be pretty hilarious if in 2 years Biden cruises through the primaries and beats Trump by 4-5 points looking back at all these theories tbh
    he might. and if he beats trump in the general election, i'd be thrilled. my theory isn't that biden is unelectable. i just dont see what makes him a good or appealing candidate. any democrat would nominate liberal justices. im just trying to figure out what biden brings to the table that makes him stand out as being "the guy" for a presidential run vs some anonymous democrat in the house

Spurraider21 the other day was looking at all the polls and saw Biden on top of all them and admitted he had no clue why anyone would ever vote for Biden. Like it baffled him. He directly said it.
    see above. i am legit baffled because even if somebody wanted an "establishment democrat" i'm at a loss if you wanted me to explain what makes biden "the guy" to be president among the rest of the establishment. what is his hallmark? what is his major issue that would be the top of his agenda? yeah i know i can look up "the issues" on the website rofl, but for instance, people voting for trump KNEW what they like from him. they wanted his tough on immigration policy, and neener-neener at ude for anything obama ever did. what's biden's message or overall appeal?

He was also seem absolutely shocked when ChumpDumper was pointing that Sanders always being too good to actually join the Democratic party was an issue when it is a HUGE issue among older people in my family at least who are Democrats. He made it out like it was some kind of idiosyncratic thing chumpdumper thought up as far as I can tell. Progressives really, really, really look down on traditional Democrats and they dont hide it well at all (see any WillHunting post for evidence spurraider).
    thats not a matter of looking down on democrats. chump loves to rail against berniebros for their perceived responsibility in getting trump elected, because berniebros supposedly refused to hold their nose and vote for clinton (even though will hunting demonstrated that they did). and yet, he seemed to show the same reservation about voting for bernie if thats what it came down to (to be fair he later stated he would vote for sanders if he won the nomination, at which point i dropped my line of inquiry there)... https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/sho...=1#post9835362

my point wasn't that i demand everybody left of trump to pledge support for bernie. he's not my top choice, either.

More than anything people in reality and not on rose twitter just want things to just go back to the way they were. If Obama were able to run again (like lets say the 2 term limit rule was only no more than 2 consecutive terms in a row) he could come out tomorrow with an entire premise of having literally no new ideas at all he would cruise through the Dem primaries like it was nothing. Policies are somewhat important but personal charisma, speaking ability etc is still a huge factor. Biden in the past has been very good debater so I think he will continue to do well even after the debats and the people who thought this was Bernie's turn and he would be the one polling in a huge lead like Biden is now will continue to make lame excuses for him like they did when he lost the 2016 democratic primary by 3.7 million votes nationwide.
    yeah, that's an unfortunate reality.

bernie is by far the farthest left of any candidate in the field, i dont think anybody denies that he's on the fringe. my astonishment isn't that bernie isn't #1. i simply dont understand the appeal for biden

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Autonomy over medical decisions is a human rights issue period. My body, my decision.

A double standard for women is per se oppression and unfreedom.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Joe Biden and the ‘electability’ delusion — and why the media keep making the same mistake

As Iowa journalist Robert Leonard talks to voters around his state, he finds himself

baffled at the national portrayal of Joe Biden’s dominance in the presidential campaign.

The local Democrats he encounters respect the former vice president, he told me, but

many of them also feel his time has passed.

They’re far more excited about other candidates, five in particular:

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (Mass.);

Pete Buttigieg, the mayor of South Bend, Ind.;

Sen. Kamala D. Harris (Calif.);

former Texas congressman Beto O’Rourke and Sen. Cory Booker (N.J.).

So he shakes his head at the extensive coverage and commentary that depicts Biden as almost a shoo-in for a nomination that’s more than a year away.

“No one I have spoken with sees Biden as more formidable than other top candidates.”

a self-perpetuating effect: Biden is the front-runner, so he gets more media coverage.

That coverage decision captures the electability delusion in action — and it cuts both ways.

it’s downright unfair to other candidates at this early stage — and it may be dangerous to the Democrats’ quest to unseat Trump.

Trump going after Biden

theory is that Trump — with his unerring instinct for steering the media caravan — is focusing on Biden because

he knows the former veep may be relatively easier to beat.

“Biden’s centrism, his big mouth, his age and out-of-touchness, and his handsiness

sets him up to be beset with a ‘both sides are the same, so don’t vote’ campaign targeting the same voters who sat out 2016,”

it’s unfair to take
    his political argument for himself (‘electability’) as a fact instead of an opinion/argument.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/the-electability-delusion--and-why-the-media-keep-making-the-same-mistake/2019/06/14/495c3b12-8de9-11e9-b08e-cfd89bd36d4e_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.8e 2c45a3e375&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's possible Joe Biden is shrewdly positioning himself to capture a portion of the racist vote. It's also possible that Biden is a moron, that Herman Talmadge and James O. Eastland are the best examples of working across the aisle he can recall in his long career of public service.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vowing Not to 'Demonize' the Rich, Biden Tells Billionaires 'Nothing Would Fundamentally Change' If He Was Elected

It "might be the most honest thing he's said since he defended segregated schools."

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/06/19/vowing-not-demonize-rich-biden-tells-billionaires-nothing-would-fundamentally-change?cd-origin=rss

... more proof that Biden and the rest of Dem establishment are stooges of the oligarchy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beware Joe Biden's "national unity" campaign: Win or lose, it's a bad idea

Why is Joe Biden making smoochy overtures to "moderate" Republicans?

Because he's not really running as a Democrat

https://www.salon.com/2019/06/09/beware-joe-bidens-national-unity-campaign-win-or-lose-its-a-bad-idea/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's possible Joe Biden is shrewdly positioning himself to capture a portion of the racist vote. It's also possible that Biden is a moron, that Herman Talmadge and James O. Eastland are the best examples of working across the aisle he can recall in his long career of public service.

To be fair, the entire senate was a racist pit back in his days. They also made a big fuss of Hillary saying nice words of a racist colleague of hers.

If you read the entire quotes though, it's not like he's praising them for who they were. He was talking about getting things done in the senate.

This guy Biden is done if he keeps making these goofy mistakes. Already 3 major ups in the last 2 weeks. Yikes.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "He was talking about getting things done in the senate."

he ain't gonna do with a Repug Senate, esp if McC is still there. 100% obstruction, just like with Obama/Biden years.

Thread Information