Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs have been the most progressive franchise in the NBA for the past whatever amount of years, it would only be fitting that they hire the first woman head coach..

If "progressive" or "fitting" are included in the decision, 'em. If she's the best candidate, hire her. But not to make a statement.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    replace Pop? It must be someone from spurstalk right? I mean spurstalk >>>>>>>>> PATFO, the whole world know that, we got plenty of truthers and a few losers can do that.
    NBA= ed.
    spurs rings again.
    spurstalk rules.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If "progressive" or "fitting" are included in the decision, 'em. If she's the best candidate, hire her. But not to make a statement.
    Hiring a coach with no NBA coaching experience is a crapshoot, it's all guessing..all things being equal, I'm going with the better PR move..

If Bud wants to go to SA, then certainly that's a no-brainer, but if the alternatives are Ime, Messina and Self, I'm going with Becky..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still want Bud.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Bill Self on rumors he’s leaving KU for NBA: ‘I’m not going anywhere’
    Nick Saban on rumors he's leaving LSU to go to the NFL.. "I'm not going anywhere."

Veteran
    My Team
    Atlanta Hawks
    Post Count
    Bill Self is Billy Donovan of college basketball - always goes out earlier in the playoffs than expected

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Pop asks him and Manu says yes, i think its his job, i hope. Otherwise it's Becky and maybe this guy op mentions but he would've done the jump by now.
    I don't think Manu wants to coach so that leave us with Becky. I don't like the others.
    Best case scenario is Becky with Pop in a Pat Riley role.
    Becky? Are freaking kidding me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This rumor has been floating around for more than ten years. I know there is some validity to it but it's not set in stone. If you were to bet on it, Self would be up there with probably Messina and Udoka. Given that compe ion, I wouldn't mind Self.

I've been on record for about 15 years now that I wanted Budenholzer to eventually replace Pop. That, obviously, appears to be difficult now.

I know this would is an unpopular opinion but I think Avery Johnson would be a strong choice. Give him a long leash and at the very least you'd have a solid tactician who wouldn't put up with his team not playing hard. Plus his work with the Mavs looks strong in retrospect. He led a them to 67 wins and a near championship with minimal talent outside of Dirk. Almost winning a championship with the likes of DeSagana Diop and Adrian Griffin starting and with Jason Terry as your second best player? Damn impressive, IMO.
    A business acquaintance of mine in Milwaukee assures me that Bud isn't going anywhere. Figures. I wouldn't trade their roster and immediate outlook for ours.

Avery is a non-start. He is so caustic that he gets run off from every one of his gigs after a couple of years. Current NBA players wouldn't tolerate him.

Even if Self is only a speculative choice, I do like the idea of thinking a little out of the box and not just hiring one of Pop's current assistants or an NBA retread.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    A business acquaintance of mine in Milwaukee assures me that Bud isn't going anywhere. Figures. I wouldn't trade their roster and immediate outlook for ours.

Avery is a non-start. He is so caustic that he gets run off from every one of his gigs after a couple of years. Current NBA players wouldn't tolerate him.

Even if Self is only a speculative choice, I do like the idea of thinking a little out of the box and not just hiring one of Pop's current assistants or an NBA retread.
    Bill Self is a retread. He hasn't been relavent in a decade. Winning the big 12 year in and year out is the equivalent of Juve winning the Serie A every year. Anyways, he wouldn't want the Spurs vacancy even if it was offered because it's a very undesirable coaching job with the Spurs on the brink of being a perennial lottery team for years to come. Self would be taking a step backwards.

Spurs are Lottery Bound. SequSpur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bill self dumb s...do it... Go Spurs! Rock chalk Go Spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, is Coach Bud so far out of reach?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think at this point we trust the brainpower of the organization to make the right move when Pop retires. Honestly I wonder if Udoka is being groomed for the role he's stayed with the team longer than the typical Spurs assistant has. He was an assistant on the 2014 championship team so I'm sure he's had head coaching looks at some point from teams. Played like 4 years off and on for the Spurs and while he was frustrating as a player I think he's done some really good things in his current role. Been apart of the coaching staff for like 7 years, big part of Aldridge choosing SA in free agency.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it's Messina or Becky, I'd go Becky all day, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ewwwww if messina becomes coach i become a full time austin spurs fan
    Aye on Avery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is Becky's first season on the front row. I cannot imagine she gets a head coaching job the next season. Shes 42 years old. Plenty of time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Absolutely... otherwise she’ll end up being the first female NBA head coach to be fired.

As for Bill Self... remember Tark the Shark and how that worked out?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'd always thought that the next coach would be an ST poster since we have so many great coaches and basketball geniuses in here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it's Messina or Becky, I'd go Becky all day, tbh.
    Same. For all of Messina's "accolades", those all came in Europe where the game is simply played differently.

Otherwise, I have been thoroughly underwhelmed by Messina in the situations where he takes over for Pop, minus the one win against Golden State in last year's playoffs.

We don't have much of a sample size for when Becky takes the reigns, but I'd almost rather venture into the unknown than go with an option we know isn't great.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1) Bud
    2) Avery Johnson
    3) Quinn Snyder
    4) Udoka

Confident the next coach will have former ties to the team especially if RC is making the final call. Self seems too much like a Tarkanian hire. All other long tenure or big name college coaches flamed out - pitino, calipari, Tim Floyd, Donovan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In all fairness I felt like Becky would command a lot of respect in that position. The way the summer league team responded to her. It looks like she had not only respect but love from the players. Possibly like a mom figure. You never know she might just be a damn good coach at the NBA level

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seeing that most of you clowns don't like Messina, it reaffirms my belief that he is our best option to replace Pop.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In all fairness I felt like Becky would command a lot of respect in that position. The way the summer league team responded to her. It looks like she had not only respect but love from the players. Possibly like a mom figure. You never know she might just be a damn good coach at the NBA level
    Cool story bro. We are the Spurs, not the ing Suns, we dont experiment with unproven coaches like Becky. She can go try her hand somewhere else. No thanks

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cool story bro. We are the Spurs, not the ing Suns, we dont experiment with unproven coaches like Becky. She can go try her hand somewhere else. No thanks
    Why would it upset you so much if the Spurs hired a woman as the Head Coach? It's 2019

Thread Information