Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry man but that is truly bull .
    I don't know from what you gather that there aren't at least 60-80 people more qualified than her to be HC in the NBA. Honestly, if she wan't a woman, would there be any of all the hype? C'mon...It is even sad for her, if she gets a HC job, as everybody and his brother would know it was a PR stunt anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    She was offered and turned down a HC position in the NBA? And nobody knows about it? OK, whatever
    I never said that, handsome.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never said that, handsome.
    Where did you miss that the point was her getting the SA HC job?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wish Spurs still had PJ, he was never afraid to step up to Pop and call to call out some of Pops BS when he felt that he was wrong. All of the current assistance just say yes to everything and never question Pop.

In other words I honestly don't see any of Pop's current assistants making a strong head coach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ... All of the current assistance just say yes to everything and never question Pop.
    How do you know that amazing tidbit of information?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why doesnt she have a job then? She will continue to have her name floated for a long time and not get a job. Dont be a stupid SJW. Women coaching men is a lot more complicated than you think. This isnt some close minded viewpoint, there are very legitimate logistical issues with it that may prevent it from ever being plausible in a successful way. She will eventually get a chance but I assure you it wont be in the near future.
    I remember seeing an interview with Tim where he said that almost every player who ever left here regretted it, and told players who were still here. There is no other organization like this one, and maybe, just maybe, Becky realizes it. Coach Bud stayed here for what, 14 years? Was he not qualified before he actually left to take a GOOD job? Most of the jobs that open every year are jobs with bad organizations. If you want a good one, you have to wait it out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where did you miss that the point was her getting the SA HC job?
    Aware of the topic.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember seeing an interview with Tim where he said that almost every player who ever left here regretted it, and told players who were still here. There is no other organization like this one, and maybe, just maybe, Becky realizes it. Coach Bud stayed here for what, 14 years? Was he not qualified before he actually left to take a GOOD job? Most of the jobs that open every year are jobs with bad organizations. If you want a good one, you have to wait it out.
    If anyone gave a FEMALE a shot at head coach, Becky would jump all over it. That may be true of other Spurs assistants. But when you are BEGGING for a shot, you take it if you are offered. That would be huge news if she got offered.

There are a lot of things working against her. She is still quite a bit off of being a head coach. She has relatively minimal assisting experience and only just became a front row assistant. She will be a head coach in like 10 years probably but certainly not now.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why doesnt she have a job then? She will continue to have her name floated for a long time and not get a job. Dont be a stupid SJW. Women coaching men is a lot more complicated than you think. This isnt some close minded viewpoint, there are very legitimate logistical issues with it that may prevent it from ever being plausible in a successful way. She will eventually get a chance but I assure you it wont be in the near future.

Think for a second why she didn’t take the jobs

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Think for a second why she didn’t take the jobs
    Because they weren't actually offered

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because they weren't actually offered

Try again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The top ten reasons why Becky Hammon has turned down all the NBA head coaching jobs she's been offered.

During one interview they kept calling her "honey."

After another interview instead of shaking her hand they tipped her by shoving a 20 dollar bill down her blouse.

At another interview they expected her to fetch the coffee.

At another interview when she asked how much the job paid she was told not to worry her pretty little head about it.

At another interview the GM of the team kept telling her how unhappy he was in his marriage.

And I can't think of ten. So make it top 5.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/r...ith-the-spurs/

Hammon turned down an NCAA head coaching job not an NBA head coaching job to stay with the Spurs.

I think a lot of the people trying to discredit if she can be a legit NBA head coach now are being disingenuous about how a decent amount of coaches with little to no coaching experience got jobs right out of the gate. look at Jason Kidd even Luke Walton wasn't an assistant for too long and he has already been giving 2 shots to coach and their are other examples of this throughout history. A lot of former players (which she is) get shots with no experience and some take to it easier than others.

When interviewed if she can do a great job of explaining how she can effectively utilize the players on the roster, how she can manage player egos, pre game or in game adversity, and actually draw smart plays to get the best players the best shots I think any smart GM would and should give her a chance. Of course she would also have to have some strong assistants to round out her staff and maybe she should throw in the reason why she picked each person.

I honestly after seeing how she handled the Summer League squad (better than Will Hardy, I may add) think she is knowledgeable enough to be an NBA head coach

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I heard Bud was chomping at the bit to trade in his young, athletic, long, trending in the right direction, etc, etc, team for the honor of coaching some 90s basketball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If anyone on this Spurs coaching staff succeeds Pop it will probably be Becky.

That said, I think they would look at others with Spurs ties first...

All depends on how the winds are blowing in the NBA at the time it happens...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spends 20 years building out a talented coaching network that know the system and know the program......I would hope they look at the talented Pop disciples first.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/r...ith-the-spurs/

Hammon turned down an NCAA head coaching job not an NBA head coaching job to stay with the Spurs.

I think a lot of the people trying to discredit if she can be a legit NBA head coach now are being disingenuous about how a decent amount of coaches with little to no coaching experience got jobs right out of the gate. look at Jason Kidd even Luke Walton wasn't an assistant for too long and he has already been giving 2 shots to coach and their are other examples of this throughout history. A lot of former players (which she is) get shots with no experience and some take to it easier than others.

When interviewed if she can do a great job of explaining how she can effectively utilize the players on the roster, how she can manage player egos, pre game or in game adversity, and actually draw smart plays to get the best players the best shots I think any smart GM would and should give her a chance. Of course she would also have to have some strong assistants to round out her staff and maybe she should throw in the reason why she picked each person.

I honestly after seeing how she handled the Summer League squad (better than Will Hardy, I may add) think she is knowledgeable enough to be an NBA head coach
    Not the same thing at all. Not even close. Be real.

And that offer was for women's basketball you ding dong. We are talking about MEN'S BASKETBALL. Big difference.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not the same thing at all. Not even close. Be real.

And that offer was for women's basketball you ding dong. We are talking about MEN'S BASKETBALL. Big difference.
    I never said it was a Men's basketball offer so what is the issue? I just tried to assist in the conversation about her turning down a coaching offer by posting the info.

Some of the best pro basketball coaches of all time never made it pro or barely got any run if they did make it pro. some of the best GM's barely got run in college! The point is if she knows the game, how to strategize, along with her understanding the locker room dynamic she most likely will do no worse than some of these garbage coaches who keeping getting shots.

She most likely would do better than a lot of former NBA players because she might get assistant's to focus on the fundamentals of the game. Granted this coaching staff and development staff already does a solid job of that

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never said it was a Men's basketball offer so what is the issue? I just tried to assist in the conversation about her turning down a coaching offer by posting the info.

Some of the best pro basketball coaches of all time never made it pro or barely got any run if they did make it pro. some of the best GM's barely got run in college! The point is if she knows the game, how to strategize, along with her understanding the locker room dynamic she most likely will do no worse than some of these garbage coaches who keeping getting shots.

She most likely would do better than a lot of former NBA players because she might get assistant's to focus on the fundamentals of the game. Granted this coaching staff and development staff already does a solid job of that
    Look, Im not doubting her strategical knowledge or fundamentals. Im just saying that she is going to run into bigtime issues getting hired due to the very real obstacles that come with being a female coach of male players. She will have a hard time commanding respect, motivating, and being a leader of men. There are tons of equally qualified or better qualified male coaches out there, and they have less question marks about their ability to command a locker room by default.

Again, she will eventually get a shot somewhere, and I truly hope she succeeds, it just wont be soon and I pray it wont be here. Spurs are not desperate and should not take a gamble on an unproven commodity. I would be furious if this was her first head coaching gig here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Atlantic pushing Self as possible replacement for Coach Pop...

From The Athletic
    :
    As of now, a source said Popovich has given no indication to the organization that he won't be back next season. Yet whenever he steps away, whether it's after he coaches Team USA in the Tokyo Olympics this summer or sometime thereafter, there's one name that continues to come up from league sources as a possible replacement: Bill Self, the longtime Kansas coach and close friend of Spurs general manager R.C. Buford.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/k...ch-per-report/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Atlantic pushing Self as possible replacement for Coach Pop...

From The Athletic
    :
    As of now, a source said Popovich has given no indication to the organization that he won't be back next season. Yet whenever he steps away, whether it's after he coaches Team USA in the Tokyo Olympics this summer or sometime thereafter, there's one name that continues to come up from league sources as a possible replacement: Bill Self, the longtime Kansas coach and close friend of Spurs general manager R.C. Buford.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/k...ch-per-report/
    That has been the rumor for a while now. I don't know much about him, but considering how bad Pop has coached, I wouldn't be mad if he replaces him

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    any college coach. Definitely don't want to see that. Rather see Becky or any former assistant than a college coach. More often than not they're a complete failure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    D’Antoni is on the market according to the athletic. We should pick him up. Sure we won’t win a le but we will be more fun to watch than this cluster

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    D’Antoni is on the market according to the athletic. We should pick him up. Sure we won’t win a le but we will be more fun to watch than this cluster
    Troll of the Year winner!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, allthatnoise

Thread Information