Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would be taking a pay cut to coach Spurs tbh.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    i’ve had a good feeling about brent barry for whatever reason. but i guess if he wanted to coach then he’d be on the bench.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bud
    Quinn Snyder
    The Philly coach
    Ime?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Bucks looked horrible in last years backdoor sweep by the Raptors.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He should have handed the team to Udoka, he would have been the perfect fit, former player, young coach and respected and liked by players..players probably would have come to SA to play for him, unlike pop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He should have handed the team to Udoka, he would have been the perfect fit, former player, young coach and respected and liked by players..players probably would have come to SA to play for him, unlike pop.
    Yeah, such a shame we lost both Udoka and Messina both in the same off-season... Pop really overstayed his welcome by coaching this year, we could've deep dived into a tank with Ime/Ettore as HC and start fresh instead of delaying the inevitable whilst losing capable coaches to other teams. Sad to see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ime can always come back and take the HC job. He’s still an assistant coach. I think it was good he left to experience a different HC. He’ll be a HC for some team within the next two years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That story of Ime going super Sian in Morocco is a great read

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmmm... seeing that this story has resurfaced again. And IF this RUMOR is circulating around, it may be the POSSIBLE reason why the other RUMOR about Becky looking at the coaching position for the Knicks, which I say again, would be suicide for anyone. I just saw another article in Real GM that Masai Ujiuri has turned down Toronto's big extension offer to stay with their organization. It has been also rumored that the Knicks have also been coveting Ujiuri pretty hard as well, and would go to great lengths to have him as the Knicks' GM. So, on paper, to have Ujiuri as their new GM, would offer the possibility of turning this organization around. And to have Becky there, would be a POSSIBLE good PR move, as well. But as long as James Dolan is the owner, I just don't see how even Masai the Messiah, along with Becky, or anyone for that matter, can turn that organization around. It they could, then WOW! I'm sure Becky would love the big stage & limelight of NYC & Madison Square Garden, along with Masai as her GM. And if this RUMOR about Self POSSIBLY replacing Pop, sometime in the near future, then, one can see THE POSSIBLILTY of Becky wanting to move on. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Bill Self. I believe there are some recent allegations of some NCAA violations against the program. It would be nice to see the HC be homegrown such as Becky, Tim or another former assistant or HC who "grew up" within the Spurs organization, BUT with someone like Self coming on board, would inject new blood, along with new ideas. My question is: can Self adjust to & deal with the NBA ways, as well as communicate with NBA players? For instance, it was rumored by the Bleacher Report that the Cavaliers' players were unhappy with John Beilein, the former Michigan HC's style of coaching. Lots of unknowns if Self were HC, perhaps because we don't know what to expect from him, & us as Spurs' fans having Pop for sooo long as HC, would be weird, but in reality, can anyone for that matter, fill his shoes & keep the success going?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    College coaches rarely thrive, and in fact, usually don't survive in the NBA. It takes them too long to figure out that they don't really hold the reins. It's a player's league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The NBA has changed a lot. It no longer takes a smart coach to win. Just line up 5 guys who can shoot the three and go at it. You're not allowed to play defense anyway, so there's no need to worry about that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ime can always come back and take the HC job. He’s still an assistant coach. I think it was good he left to experience a different HC. He’ll be a HC for some team within the next two years.
    Agreed - it’s not some death blow to leave the franchise and come back. We’ve seen it before and as long as it doesn’t turn into a Bud situation where you can’t get them back because they are head coaches now, nothing is really lost if they leave like IME if you really want them back.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with all the Ime comments, but we would be in a better place if pop left it to him last year...now we are unnecessarily adding at least a couple of years to the process...Ime as head coach and TD as top assistant would be perfect.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the question is, is it possible for him to get over his Self?

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would be taking a pay cut to coach Spurs tbh.

Plus, college doesn't have a salary cap.

I don't know who is floating this story (again), or why, but it blew up on CBS Sports, ESPN, and a bunch of other sites really quickly. Looks more like someone trying to make a story than anything new.

Self did an interview recently where he denied the rumors about the Spurs, and said that he will definitely be back with Kansas next year. The FBI is investigating college basketball, and the NCAA has charged Self with 5 (I think it's 5) Level I violations. It may not be up to him. (That's all from memory, but I think it's pretty accurate.)

[Edit: I should have mentioned. I don't think they're charging Self with actually doing anything, but with not keeping a watch on assistants. The way the NCAA rules work, that doesn't matter. If there's anything beneath the Level I violations, he's probably a casualty whether he knew or not. I'm not saying the guy is bad, but his nuts are in a vice right now.]
    Last edited by ZeusWillJudge; 12-10-2019 at 07:01 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According to one news report I saw, a witness alleges that Self, himself, asked Adidas to provide $20,000 to the U.S. guardian of a foreign player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am with Ex on this, college coaches miss more than they succeed in the NBA. I think a big part of this rumor is the relationship between Self and R.C. The Kansas connection is strong, remember Larry Brown brought over R.C. and Ed Manning when he took the Spurs job. The only non-Kansas guy was Pop.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According to one news report I saw, a witness alleges that Self, himself, asked Adidas to provide $20,000 to the U.S. guardian of a foreign player.

I'm not going to accuse a man when I don't know even a little bit of the truth. Especially if he might be the next coach here. The point is, under NCAA rules the coach is presumed to be responsible for what the staff does. He could be clean and still be looking for a job.

The truth is, I think there's way too much money being made on college ball for the players not to at least get a taste. I know they get scholarships, but when there's that much cash on the line, people go looking for a way to get some for themselves. And I really think some of these coaches are just trying to help some kid who's really struggling, not trying to buy players. But the NCAA doesn't ask my opinion any more than the NBA does.

The Level 1 violations being leveled at Kansas are serious business. I don't know anything inside, but I wouldn't be surprised if that factors into the recent revival of the rumors of him coming to the Spurs.

College coaches are inherently sleazy and opportunist on every level

LOL. Well there's two very different world views. Some are, but "inherently sleazy and opportunist on every level"? Like across the board? Are coaches at the high school level good, college level sleazy, and then good again at the pro level?

I'm just a little curious if you actually know any college coaches, or if that comes from watching movies? [Heh. I probably shouldn't have said this last bit. My daughter and I are sitting here watching an old episode of Without A Trace about a crooked college coach. I had a coach in college (different sport) who was a damn good man. I just don't belive that all of them are bad guys, or even most. I'm not passing judgment on Self without knowing more than rumors.]
    Last edited by ZeusWillJudge; 12-10-2019 at 11:13 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am with Ex on this, college coaches miss more than they succeed in the NBA. I think a big part of this rumor is the relationship between Self and R.C. The Kansas connection is strong, remember Larry Brown brought over R.C. and Ed Manning when he took the Spurs job. The only non-Kansas guy was Pop.
    I think it’ll depend where the team is in it’s cycle. Sure, bring in a college coach to a vet team would be tough (see Donovan), but I’m intrigued with was Beline is doing in Cleveland. Sure their record is poor, but they’re playing hard and the young guys seem to be buying in.

Self could we’ll be inheriting a young roster that’s turned over it’s vets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I won't mind Kenny Atkinson who were recently fired by the Nets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that would be grand!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thought the same, although I don't really care who it is. Anybody is better than Flopovich

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First thing that went through my mind when I saw the news that Kyrie/KD fired him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He didn't want to coach KD lol okayyy

Kyrie and KD fired him. They'll hire a coach of their choosing.

Coaching is getting less and less relevant as all teams have the same schemes offensively and defensively, everyone plays the same way, have the same plays, the same counters, the same style. The only thing a coach is good for is player development but that's rarely important for contending teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He didn't want to coach KD lol okayyy

Kyrie and KD fired him. They'll hire a coach of their choosing.

Coaching is getting less and less relevant as all teams have the same schemes offensively and defensively, everyone plays the same way, have the same plays, the same counters, the same style. The only thing a coach is good for is player development but that's rarely important for contending teams.
    Pretty much truth bomb here. Protecting shooters, no hand checking means teams play very similarly. It's sad. Remember when Spurs went up against Nash's Suns, and it was a battle of who could control the pace? Those days are gone.

Thread Information