Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, having SloMo on the team would help with the need for a true combo forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, having SloMo on the team would help with the need for a true combo forward.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned this name but i read somewhere that we are one of three NBA teams interested in Vincent Poirier. I have seen enough of this guy. He's a big man, strictly a roll man offensively, no post move, no outside shot, he can pass. He has some potential and it wouldn't be a bad option, i like him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned this name but i read somewhere that we are one of three NBA teams interested in Vincent Poirier. I have seen enough of this guy. He's a big man, strictly a roll man offensively, no post move, no outside shot, he can pass. He has some potential and it wouldn't be a bad option, i like him.
    you the best at finding the Spurs Euroleague targets man. I read that he's a Euroleague rookie and was already considered for defensive player of the year?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you the best at finding the Spurs Euroleague targets man. I read that he's a Euroleague rookie and was already considered for defensive player of the year?
    Thx man. You are right, i forgot to mention that he was very solid defensively albeit against mediocre compe ion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tatted up, younger, slightly more athletic version of OKC's Adams. Looks like he's been in a Russian prison movie. Thought he looked great. Sets good screens, rolls well, dunks with an at ude and is very athletic on the alley oops. Good position defender, nice week side help, and when he blocks he keeps the ball in play. Solid rebounder, but he'll get called for the over the back stuff more in NBA when he's trying to keep the ball alive for an offensive rebound.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bleacher Report published a mock draft after seeing some combine results, and it actually has some interesting comments and observations. Some are the same things we've been hearing, but some are fresh. And even some of the old comments are enhanced by combine observations:

Whoever drafts Bitadze will just have to worry about teams targeting him defensively with pick-and-rolls. [Exactly what they do to Boban.]

If Bol can hold up physically, he could become a steal outside the lottery.

Without a point guard worth taking at No. 11, Minnesota could look to trade up for Garland or White. Otherwise, it could select Hachimura, who'll be in the late-lottery mix for certain teams even though scouts are seemingly split on him.

The Celtics could always use shooters to surround their core scorers, and [Tyler] Herro is bound to wow during workouts with his textbook form and effortless range. [No mention of any skills other than being a shooter.]

[Kabengele] Workouts can now act as a launching pad since he'd been forced to come off the bench for consecutive seasons at Florida State. [No mention of the fact that he was forced to come off the bench for consecutive seasons because he wasn't as good as the player ahead of him.]

With questions about [Keldon] Johnson's ball-handling and shooting but promise tied to his downhill scoring ability, set shots and defensive potential, he figures to earn consideration in the tier that follows the lottery.

One of the most convincing shooters in the draft, [Cam] Johnson has a bankable skill that could allow Utah to overlook his age (23) and limited upside. The Jazz would view him as an appealing value pick capable of contributing on a rookie contract, especially since Kyle Korver offered little in the playoffs.

[Grant] Williams may have lost some supporters at the combine when he struggled to make shots against second-round prospects during scrimmages.

Samanic may have earned a guaranteed NBA contract by separating himself during Thursday's scrimmage at the combine in Chicago. The 6'11" forward checks the right boxes with three-point range, the ability to face up and handle and a knack for sliding defensively.

[Nickeil] Alexander-Walker regressed as the season progressed, but he'll still draw first-round interest for his offensive versatility.

This late [27], Okeke could be viewed as a value pick who may have gone earlier had he not torn an ACL. [With the Spurs' roster situation, it really looks like a time to make a longer term investment if he falls two more spots.]

Okpala raised his scoring average to 16.8 points as a sop re and still has significant room to improve his shot creation and shooting. He'll be hit or miss with upside fueled by positional size (6'9", 210 pounds) and scoring versatility but no established skills to bank on.

[Isaiah] Roby had a strong second scrimmage at the combine, and staying in the draft would likely mean he received some positive assurance about his stock.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’ll be interesting if the spurs still consider Chimezie Metu apart of the young core of guys we have. Im hoping for him but if we were to draft a big in this upcoming draft we won’t really need him

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’ll be interesting if the spurs still consider Chimezie Metu apart of the young core of guys we have. Im hoping for him but if we were to draft a big in this upcoming draft we won’t really need him
    Metu has an extremely team-friendly contract. They used part of the MLE to sign him to a deal not typical of second rounders last year in order to give him time to develop. No guarantees after this year, but a cheap salary in year 3 if they do pick it up and a cheap QO in year four.

Unless a big is super high on their boards and available at 19/29, I don’t see them drafting one. Though they could use Metu to move up a spot or two as well, but that would require that team valuing him as a second round prospect.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Metu has an extremely team-friendly contract. They used part of the MLE to sign him to a deal not typical of second rounders last year in order to give him time to develop. No guarantees after this year, but a cheap salary in year 3 if they do pick it up and a cheap QO in year four.

Unless a big is super high on their boards and available at 19/29, I don’t see them drafting one. Though they could use Metu to move up a spot or two as well, but that would require that team valuing him as a second round prospect.
    Yes, Metu is indeed a cheap salary and the Spurs almost never sign a 2nd round pick. The last time was with Blair and DeColo (2009)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think 29 + Metu could move up to Portlands or Cleveland's pick in the 20's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think 29 + Metu could move up to Portlands or Cleveland's pick in the 20's.
    Why would Portland or Cleveland do that? Also the Spurs clearly like him, probably give him another season before moving on.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would Portland or Cleveland do that? Also the Spurs clearly like him, probably give him another season before moving on.
    I think there a chance we waive him if we find someone we like better anyway. The reason Cleveland might do it is they only drop back a few spots and they get a young guy they can develop on a cheap contract for 2 more years. Portland, much the same reasons although their motivation would be because they are faced with filling spots with a very expensive roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp Chinook - saw/participated in a convo on Twitter regarding SA actually needing to or having a reason to use the MLE if they dont make a trade(s).

If we assume they re-sign Rudy and don’t make a trades, why would they spend money on anyone with the MLE when A) they have draft picks they might get players with & B) there aren’t minutes for said player

Minutes:

PG: Murray 25, White 10, Mills 13
    SG: White 20, Forbes 25, Lonnie or Beli or Mills 3
    SF: DeRozan 33, Lonnie 15 or Beli/Bertans get some minutes
    PF: LMA 15, Rudy 23, Bertans 10
    C: LMA 18, Poeltl 25, ?? (Eubanks, or Milu or Draft Pick)

Where are there even minutes for a FA even with lowering Mills/Beli minutes a lot over last year?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans will get less. Forbes will get less. Pop won't start two bigs or play a three-big rotation. Team should get a real PF rather than the comb-over job that suggested rotation would amount to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans will get less. Forbes will get less. Pop won't start two bigs or play a three-big rotation. Team should get a real PF rather than the comb-over job that suggested rotation would amount to.
    If that is the case, then why would you re-sign Rudy?

But I only have Bertans getting 10 minutes, if he is getting less he should be traded for something. I don’t see how Forbes will get less than he did last year - if minutes are going to be cut you would think Mills/Beli would be first in line, no?

Minutes:

SF: DeRozan 33, Lonnie 15 or Beli/Bertans
    PF: LMA 0-5, Rudy 23, PF to be added would have 20-25MPG if LMA plays strictly C
    C: LMA 28, Poeltl 20

Even in this scenario, I don’t see where you use the MLE unless you only sign a PF. That is the only minutes that *might* be open. But then again, if you draft one, are those 20-25 minutes really there enough for you to impact future cap space?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp Chinook - saw/participated in a convo on Twitter regarding SA actually needing to or having a reason to use the MLE if they dont make a trade(s).

If we assume they re-sign Rudy and don’t make a trades, why would they spend money on anyone with the MLE when A) they have draft picks they might get players with & B) there aren’t minutes for said player

Minutes:

SF: DeRozan 33, Lonnie 15 or Beli/Bertans get some minutes
    PF: LMA 15, Rudy 23, Bertans 10
    C: LMA 18, Poeltl 25, ?? (Eubanks, or Milu or Draft Pick)

Where are there even minutes for a FA even with lowering Mills/Beli minutes a lot over last year?
    I am curious why people assume White will start, Forbes makes more sense with the starters than with Mills and Beli on the bench. I see two possible rotations;

Murray, Forbes, DDR, Gay/Bertans, LMA
    Mills, White, Beli/Walker, Bertans/Gay and Jakob

Or
    Murray, Forbes, DDR, LMA, Poeltl
    Mills White, Bertans/Beli/Walker, and Gay

There really isn't minutes for an MLE player, unless it's Milutinov who would be on a multi year deal.

If Jakob starts, then it creates a real log jam at 3 with Bertans, Beli and ,to a lesser extent, Walker battling for up to 15 MPG behind DDR.

If he doesn't then there would be 10 rotation players. In either scenario White would be in the 26-28 minutes range per game with Forbes starting and playing 18-22 minutes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am curious why people assume White will start, Forbes makes more sense with the starters than with Mills and Beli on the bench. I see two possible rotations;
    My chart was not an assumption of start/bench; it was about minutes.

Murray, Forbes, DDR, Gay/Bertans, LMA
    Mills, White, Beli/Walker, Bertans/Gay and Jakob

Or
    Murray, Forbes, DDR, LMA, Poeltl
    Mills White, Bertans/Beli/Walker, and Gay

There really isn't minutes for an MLE player, unless it's Milutinov who would be on a multi year deal.

If Jakob starts, then it creates a real log jam at 3 with Bertans, Beli and ,to a lesser extent, Walker battling for up to 15 MPG behind DDR.

If he doesn't then there would be 10 rotation players. In either scenario White would be in the 26-28 minutes range per game with Forbes starting and playing 18-22 minutes
    I really don’t see Forbes losing minutes. He was very good. Mills/Beli are who SHOULD lose minutes. Those go to Dejounte.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man I know spurs don’t like trading guys but some of are guards have to go. Both Murray and White ideally should play about 30 mpg at least, Forbes should get solid minutes, hopefully Lonnie too but I dont see where mills or Belly fit into the equation. Unfortunately knowing Pop they probably fit ahead of Lonnie and Forbes but idk will see what happens, watch I bet we draft another guard too lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If that is the case, then why would you re-sign Rudy?

But I only have Bertans getting 10 minutes, if he is getting less he should be traded for something. I don’t see how Forbes will get less than he did last year - if minutes are going to be cut you would think Mills/Beli would be first in line, no?

Minutes:

SF: DeRozan 33, Lonnie 15 or Beli/Bertans
    PF: LMA 0-5, Rudy 23, PF to be added would have 20-25MPG if LMA plays strictly C
    C: LMA 28, Poeltl 20

Even in this scenario, I don’t see where you use the MLE unless you only sign a PF. That is the only minutes that *might* be open. But then again, if you draft one, are those 20-25 minutes really there enough for you to impact future cap space?
    A 20-25 minute role is totally something to "impact future cap space" for, especially if the team is more thinking 2021 will be the year rather than 2020. Regardless, unless someone like Durant opts in or signs a one-year deal, the 2020 free-agent market isn't all that great. I'm sure there will be good players available, but there isn't a max guy besides Davis. The 2012 draft was pretty bad. There's a really good chance the Spurs won't even go below the cap that year considering how big Poeltl's cap hold is and the option to reup Forbes/Beli/Bertans. If the team believes they can sign Davis or whatever, by all means, go for it. But then they should consider trading Jakob and even Murray if they don't think he'll be a legit le-level star. Their cap holds have a much bigger effect on the cap than an MLE guy.

How do you not see Forbes getting fewer minutes when two guards are added to the rotation? I think Pop likes Bryn and will play him, but he's not giving him more than half a game just to come in and shoot unless no one else on the team can do it. If Pop truly feels the need to give Forbes more than a quarter of the guard minutes despite having three draftees and two prominent vets there, well I won't know what to say.

The biggest issue is that there will be minutes for a legit PF because there is a need for one. You don't not have a front court just so you can refuse to sort out a strict rotation among your back court. Just because you have several guys "worthy of minutes" doesn't mean they should all get them. During a season once the roster is mostly locked in, it's fine to play the best guys as much as you can. But when you actually have a chance to make that roster, you don't force yourself to have constraints that aren't there. They don't have to play Beli or Walker at the three, and they don't have to play Bertans at the four. They can and should seek out better players that can stabilize the team's performance on both ends. And boohoo to the guys who get left out in the cold because of it.

Obviously, I don't think PATFO will go for that. They may well believe last year's rotation with Murray getting all of the Cun and Pon minutes is the way to go. They may arbitrarily play a nine-man rotation so they don't have to deal with the fact that they don't have a forward who can do Poeltl's job with the starters. They'll bring in a couple of rookies they don't play and some half-baked third-string five who will somehow also get minutes despite already having two guys ahead of him in the rotation. If your point is that there will be guys to play all 240 minutes every night, I agree. But my point was that the MLE could legitimately upgrade a legit portion of those 240 minutes, and that is worth the cap implications down the road.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My chart was not an assumption of start/bench; it was about minutes.

I really don’t see Forbes losing minutes. He was very good. Mills/Beli are who SHOULD lose minutes. Those go to Dejounte.
    Dejounte is coming back from a serious injury, I expect him to average around 28 mpg then get ramped up heading to the playoffs, Mills would play around 20 mpg in that scenario.

White would eat up most of the backup shooting guard minutes while Forbes stars in plays around 20 minutes per game. Forbes shooting fits better with the starting unit, while White would be the six man and run offense from the bench.

The problem that the Spurs have is that cutting Mills, Belinelli, and or Bertans minutes means you're taking out one of their best shooters on a team that desperately needs shooting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should absolutely use the MLE on a SF/PF. I still think they gotta make a trade to clear the logjam at the guard spots

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A 20-25 minute role is totally something to "impact future cap space" for, especially if the team is more thinking 2021 will be the year rather than 2020. Regardless, unless someone like Durant opts in or signs a one-year deal, the 2020 free-agent market isn't all that great. I'm sure there will be good players available, but there isn't a max guy besides Davis. The 2012 draft was pretty bad. There's a really good chance the Spurs won't even go below the cap that year considering how big Poeltl's cap hold is and the option to reup Forbes/Beli/Bertans. If the team believes they can sign Davis or whatever, by all means, go for it. But then they should consider trading Jakob and even Murray if they don't think he'll be a legit le-level star. Their cap holds have a much bigger effect on the cap than an MLE guy.

How do you not see Forbes getting fewer minutes when two guards are added to the rotation? I think Pop likes Bryn and will play him, but he's not giving him more than half a game just to come in and shoot unless no one else on the team can do it. If Pop truly feels the need to give Forbes more than a quarter of the guard minutes despite having three draftees and two prominent vets there, well I won't know what to say.

The biggest issue is that there will be minutes for a legit PF because there is a need for one. You don't not have a front court just so you can refuse to sort out a strict rotation among your back court. Just because you have several guys "worthy of minutes" doesn't mean they should all get them. During a season once the roster is mostly locked in, it's fine to play the best guys as much as you can. But when you actually have a chance to make that roster, you don't force yourself to have constraints that aren't there. They don't have to play Beli or Walker at the three, and they don't have to play Bertans at the four. They can and should seek out better players that can stabilize the team's performance on both ends. And boohoo to the guys who get left out in the cold because of it.

Obviously, I don't think PATFO will go for that. They may well believe last year's rotation with Murray getting all of the Cun and Pon minutes is the way to go. They may arbitrarily play a nine-man rotation so they don't have to deal with the fact that they don't have a forward who can do Poeltl's job with the starters. They'll bring in a couple of rookies they don't play and some half-baked third-string five who will somehow also get minutes despite already having two guys ahead of him in the rotation. If your point is that there will be guys to play all 240 minutes every night, I agree. But my point was that the MLE could legitimately upgrade a legit portion of those 240 minutes, and that is worth the cap implications down the road.
    Good post - I was making some assumptions with my original question biggest being that LMA + Poeltl would get 10-15 MPG together.

Then after that assumptions was that Mills/Beli would have minutes reduced for Murray + Forbes along with no QP or Cunn.

Lastly was that if LMA doesnt play PF and SA drafts one is there a need for the MLE (which you addressed)

Personally I think there will be some trades

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tatted up, younger, slightly more athletic version of OKC's Adams. Looks like he's been in a Russian prison movie. Thought he looked great.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wrong. We will play LMA and Poetl as starters next season. I hate when you post like a know-it-all as if you knew for sure the Spurs will play this line-up that has Aldridge as our center when there is absolutely no basis for it. Even Aldridge has stated PF is his natural position and even when we had ended the season with Aldridge and Poetl starting together. Sometimes youre a good poster and sometimes you just suck, man. I cant wait until next season starts and/or when this team doesnt find a PF you claim the Spurs should get to start with Aldridge. So dumb.

Thread Information