Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Outside of the top 3 picks, does anyone have a dream player they would love sa to get in this draft? Are there any truly game changing SF/PF outside of the top 3?
    So two Hunter votes. I wonder how aggressive sa is going to be in this draft in moving up? I really don’t have a great read on college to nba. It’s by far the hardest thing to me as a fan; projecting how guys will translate. No matter how much I’ve watched NBA I still have very little idea on that aspect of the business.

I just wonder if there are any “Kawhi’s” in this draft? Anyone with that type of ceiling on BOTH ends of the floor. I also agree that DDR will be playing SF and getting someone that is more of a SF/PF than true SF would be ideal.

Nope. There's always a surprise or two, and the Spurs do better than most at getting better than expected value. But it's still a crap shoot.

There's no way Hunter falls to 19. At the beginning of the season, I saw him as a potential sleeper. But his stock just kept improving, all the way through the tournament. I don't think he'll fall lower than about 12-13. At one point, everyone was talking about Reddish at 5-7. I don't know why he seems to have fallen, but I don't think he'll make it to 19 either. Trading up for either one of those would be fine, but neither are Kawhi-level talents.

Okeke was the guy I thought was going to be the real bargain in this draft. He played so well in the tournament, that I was starting to think they couldn't even get him at 19. Then the injury. I'd still love to see him in silver and black.

Nobody talks much about the second round, but I'm thinking that Yovel Zoosman would be a good choice for 49. Put him in Austin for a year, and I think he's good enough to get minutes the next year. If he puts in the work on his 3P shot, I'm just about certain of it. It's not exciting, but teams need some of those kinds of players too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brandon Clarke feels like a type the Spurs would like, though I doubt he'll fall to #19. He's such an interesting player, and really points to how difficult assessing draft picks can be. First, the positives: one of the most productive players in college basketball, great effort, great at ude, incredible growth & statistical improvement from his Sop re year with San Jose State to his Junior year with Gonzaga, great defender who could potentially guard wings and PFs, performed well in big games. The possible negatives: doesn't shoot the three, mediocre free throw shooter, is older than most of the top players he competed against, smallish wingspan for his height. He essentially outperformed every player not named Zion, but still isn't considered a top 8 pick.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody talks much about the second round, but I'm thinking that Yovel Zoosman would be a good choice for 49. Put him in Austin for a year, and I think he's good enough to get minutes the next year. If he puts in the work on his 3P shot, I'm just about certain of it. It's not exciting, but teams need some of those kinds of players too.
    Yeah, Zoosman could be a good choice. A couple of others I like as second round possibles : Abdoulaye N'Doye (France, Cholet Basket), Robert Franks (Washington State).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, Zoosman could be a good choice. A couple of others I like as second round possibles : Abdoulaye N'Doye (France, Cholet Basket), Robert Franks (Washington State).

Check out Max Strus. I thought for sure he would taken in the second round, but he hasn't gotten the attention I think he deserves. He just got an invite to the G-League Elite Camp, so he'll have an opportunity to showcase there. The boy can shoot. He's adequate at a lot of other things, and a hard worker. But he can shoot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel Kris Wilkes from UCLA is a SF who is falling through the cracks, is 20 years old, plays silky smooth, is a natural SF 6-8, and is getting no press. Yes, he has some flaws, but he is the type who could respond to superior coaching and be another one of those late 1st or 2nd round gems.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As much as I would like to see PATFO get a SF that could at least contribute off the bench next year, unless there is a trade opportunity, I see the Spurs drafting BPA (or at least who they see being BPA 2-3 years out)

They seem happy to play DDR at the 3 and have a glutton of smaller type SG/PG combos. I think next year's team looks about the same + DJ, with only real question being how much of a role will Lonnie have and maybe a new cheap vet that can push to be part of rotation.

I would love to see the Spurs embrace youth movement and move on from DDR/LMA, just not gonna happen. I think they are pretty much locked in to using DDR/LMA Era to try and develop some young talent while still competing for playoffs. The hope is when those guys contracts are up your young talent is ready to step in, plus 1-2 additional established FA and the Spurs are real contenders again. I think it is extremely hard to pull off but we will see

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As much as I would like to see PATFO get a SF that could at least contribute off the bench next year, unless there is a trade opportunity, I see the Spurs drafting BPA (or at least who they see being BPA 2-3 years out)

They seem happy to play DDR at the 3 and have a glutton of smaller type SG/PG combos. I think next year's team looks about the same + DJ, with only real question being how much of a role will Lonnie have and maybe a new cheap vet that can push to be part of rotation.

I would love to see the Spurs embrace youth movement and move on from DDR/LMA, just not gonna happen. I think they are pretty much locked in to using DDR/LMA Era to try and develop some young talent while still competing for playoffs. The hope is when those guys contracts are up your young talent is ready to step in, plus 1-2 additional established FA and the Spurs are real contenders again. I think it is extremely hard to pull off but we will see
    All true. What is more difficult would be trading DeRozan and LMA and then even getting back to the point where you have an outside shot at being a contender.

LMA/DeRozan only have two seasons left so it makes some sense to give it a go the best you can for at least that time. You can always blow it up; cant always put it back together.

Also, after next season, LMA is only 7M guaranteed. If sa needed to go a different direction in just one more season it becomes much easier to do so with that contract.

I would be fine with them going away from LMA and DeRozan right now, but there are a lot of reasons to stick with it another year or two and see what happens. Especially if GS breaks up.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At implying there could be a championship ceiling with this core. The delusion of this fan base knows no bounds.

The young talent, while clearly the most promising they've had in a long time, speaks more to how long it's been since they've have actual prospects than it does their upside. There's not a single great prospect in the bunch. It doesn't mean one can't turn into a star, of course, but let's not pretend they're sitting on a gold mine.

They'd do extremely well just to reach the level of the current core, which is not nearly good enough to contend. There's plenty of teams with far better young talent and none of them are contenders, nor have a clear path to becoming one.

This fan base doesn't have an appreciation for how difficult and how much luck goes into becoming a championship contender. You basically need a ton of luck, starting with the most important piece, the guy who can be the best player on one. The Bucks and Warriors, for example, went over 40 years each.

The notion of developing a cadre of decent - good prospects, adding a few decent - good free agents and being set again in a few years, is asinine.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO, Porzingis is a bad comp. Porzingis has a level of mobility that Bol is never going to have. But Dirk didn't have that mobility either - even peak Dirk would be a C in today's game. Which is fine, because you can still pull a 5 with Bol/Dirk's shooting skills to the perimeter, giving the defense a matchup ...
    i don’t know, porzingis doesn’t look THAT agile. And maybe Bol Bol is a little slower than him. But everything else? Height, shooting touch, high percentage blocks, rebounding. He gives me that unicorn impression. Bol legitimately has guard skills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hunter

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At implying there could be a championship ceiling with this core. The delusion of this fan base knows no bounds.

The young talent, while clearly the most promising they've had in a long time, speaks more to how long it's been since they've have actual prospects than it does their upside. There's not a single great prospect in the bunch. It doesn't mean one can't turn into a star, of course, but let's not pretend they're sitting on a gold mine.

They'd do extremely well just to reach the level of the current core, which is not nearly good enough to contend. There's plenty of teams with far better young talent and none of them are contenders, nor have a clear path to becoming one.

This fan base doesn't have an appreciation for how difficult and how much luck goes into becoming a championship contender. You basically need a ton of luck, starting with the most important piece, the guy who can be the best player on one. The Bucks and Warriors, for example, went over 40 years each.

The notion of developing a cadre of decent - good prospects, adding a few decent - good free agents and being set again in a few years, is asinine.
    I basically agree with you which is why I would move forward now from DDR/LMA, try to get an additional pick or two in next couple draft, have a down year or two which would result in two more reasonably high picks, and then aggressively pursue a FA or 2 in 2-3 seasons. That scenario while still difficult and offering no guarantees is more likely to result in Spurs becoming real contenders in a 2-3 years VS the path it appears PATFO are pursuing.

I understand why they are doing it, but I can't think of any team in last 25-30 years (time I have followed NBA) that has lost it superstars, then managed to continue to make playoffs, then develop/sign talent necessary to become real contenders again.

I also understand the reason for sticking with LMA/DDR given Pop's final years, dominance of GS, other teams being in better position to challenge Warriors, and SA being a small market team who hasn't been bad in a long time and how would having a couple lottery bad seasons in a row affect support/attendance
    Last edited by SpaceCoast Spursfan; 05-07-2019 at 08:57 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Outside of the top 3 picks, does anyone have a dream player they would love sa to get in this draft? Are there any truly game changing SF/PF outside of the top 3?
    I personally want Bol Bol, Jaxson Hayes, or Daniel Gafford. I would love for us to get a combination of 2 out of these 3, but would be more than happy with just one of them. I would also be happy with Bruno Fernando.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just wish that Spurs will try to follow what the Clippers are doing like by giving up their cores for picks and salary cap. Yeah I'm speaking up by getting rid of Aldridge and DeRozan while they still have value. Clippers are doing fine even after trading Harris - still made the playoffs, almost took the Warriors to Game 7 and will have a salary cap this coming off-season.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just wish that Spurs will try to follow what the Clippers are doing like by giving up their cores for picks and salary cap. Yeah I'm speaking up by getting rid of Aldridge and DeRozan while they still have value. Clippers are doing fine even after trading Harris - still made the playoffs, almost took the Warriors to Game 7 and will have a salary cap this coming off-season.
    Very interesting idea. Jerry west and his midas touch base to be the best executive of all time.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    De’Andre Hunter

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty turned off by Duombouya at this point. On the Hachimura bandwagon now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm on the Hunter bandwagon.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A guy I know says the Spurs recently worked out Nebraska PF Isaiah Roby as a wing. I was told he shot the ball really well. He’d be an intriguing late 1 or 2nd round pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This time last year, I thought Hunter was going to be the sleeper of this draft. He played so well this year that he was no longer under the radar. Then in the tournament he was so impressive that they're now talking about him around 5. I don't think the Spurs could even trade up high enough to get him.

As much as I like him, I think he'll have a hard time living up to a 5 pick.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No Rui, no goga, Sekou or Mathisse at the combine.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I basically agree with you which is why I would move forward now from DDR/LMA, try to get an additional pick or two in next couple draft, have a down year or two which would result in two more reasonably high picks, and then aggressively pursue a FA or 2 in 2-3 seasons. That scenario while still difficult and offering no guarantees is more likely to result in Spurs becoming real contenders in a 2-3 years VS the path it appears PATFO are pursuing.

I understand why they are doing it, but I can't think of any team in last 25-30 years (time I have followed NBA) that has lost it superstars, then managed to continue to make playoffs, then develop/sign talent necessary to become real contenders again.

I also understand the reason for sticking with LMA/DDR given Pop's final years, dominance of GS, other teams being in better position to challenge Warriors, and SA being a small market team who hasn't been bad in a long time and how would having a couple lottery bad seasons in a row affect support/attendance
    With the possible exception of it being home, in terms of superstars and even stars, free agency will never be a viable option for a non glamour market. The only path to contention is to luck into a superstar in the draft, hope you luck into at least one other star and that both their games and personality are complimentary. Then fill in the necessary surrounding pieces.

I don't understand it and Pop's final years are irrelevant. He's a coach/executive, not a player (Parker didn't get his way, so why should he get his?). He's also constantly preached "getting over yourself", yet refuses to practice what he preaches for the good of the franchise.

Support/attendance is naturally going to decline the worse you get (it's already happening). That's sports, there's nothing they can do to stave that off. But in order to get that pendulum moving back in the opposite direction as quickly as possible, they can put their swallow their pride/ego and do this the most logical and obvious way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A guy I know says the Spurs recently worked out Nebraska PF Isaiah Roby as a wing. I was told he shot the ball really well. He’d be an intriguing late 1 or 2nd round pick.
    Long (7'3) and athletic, may be able to play the 3. May be a solid pick at 29.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the possible exception of it being home, in terms of superstars and even stars, free agency will never be a viable option for a non glamour market. The only path to contention is to luck into a superstar in the draft, hope you luck into at least one other star and that both their games and personality are complimentary. Then fill in the necessary surrounding pieces.

I don't understand it and Pop's final years are irrelevant. He's a coach/executive, not a player (Parker didn't get his way, so why should he get his?). He's also constantly preached "getting over yourself", yet refuses to practice what he preaches for the good of the franchise.

Support/attendance is naturally going to decline the worse you get (it's already happening). That's sports, there's nothing they can do to stave that off. But in order to get that pendulum moving back in the opposite direction as quickly as possible, they can put their swallow their pride/ego and do this the most logical and obvious way.
    Even market matters less and less. People have been fleeing from LA and they can’t even build a playoff team with 5 years worth of top 5 picks!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would be interested in Jalen McDaniels at 19. A 6'9"/6'10" wing player. He played the 4 in college but can be a long 3 in the NBA. Has a very good offensive game.
    https://youtu.be/jJU22qyEBD0

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interested to see Grant Williams combine results. Dude has a ton of skill and has great character. He has a great ft% which is supposed to be a great indicator for nba 3's so I'm hopeful for that development. If his combine results are solid I'd take him at 29.

Thread Information