Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don’t you think most of these upcoming draft picks will be spending years in Austin? Obviously unless they hit on a few but there’s no rush to bring these kids up immediately. If the Charlotte pick conveys next season, which is up in the air, that pick and the Toronto pick will both spend their seasons in Austin, along with the Spurs draft pick which I don’t think will be in the lottery. I just hope there’s no more need for KBD types with the salary cap situation being what it is. I hear you on not throwing money away I just think it would be smart financially because he could improve the bench immediately and wouldn’t cost much. I liked what I saw with his two way ability these playoffs.
    32 picks in the next 7 drafts. 32.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That sounds great but if the Lakers wouldn’t trade either their ‘27 or ‘29 picks for us to take on Westbrook is that plan even realistic? Maybe it was just not wanting to deal with a rival just like the Kawhi fiasco. I know what you mean though there’s no need to panic but I don’t see signing a young player to a bargain contract that improves the rotation as rushing anything just being opportunistic.
    That was before the new CBA, and the punitive second tax apron. They did end up trading their 2027 FRP, top4 protected to Utah to offload Westbrook. If they had played ball with us earlier, they could have off loaded him into our cap space, and made a play for Kyrie before the deadline.

Believe it or not, even though he was a second rounder, and Hachimura was a lottery pick, KBD is a better overall player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was before the new CBA, and the punitive second tax apron. They did end up trading their 2027 FRP, top4 protected to Utah to offload Westbrook. If they had played ball with us earlier, they could have off loaded him into our cap space, and made a play for Kyrie before the deadline.

Believe it or not, even though he was a second rounder, and Hachimura was a lottery pick, KBD is a better overall player.
    KBD. Wait. Are we talking the KBD who shut down the Staples Center with a 11-11 performance from the field? That KBD?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These old threads on draft prospects always serve as a good reminder of how hard drafting is and how few players pan out to be stars etc…We all fall in love with guys and rightfully so; its information we have at time and potential etc…

But I also like idea of trading picks for guaranteed good players too because locking in that value on a sure thing seems pretty damn good when looking back at how many prospects never come close to their best case upside.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    32 picks in the next 7 drafts. 32.
    I know how many picks we have and I know that most of those picks are 2nd rounders that’ll be sold or packaged to move up. I still believe that most of these kids will be developing in Austin for years. Heyyy but if you’re right about KBD being better overall than Rui that works just as well. I just don’t see it. Also you’re looking at 7 years down the road with the pick total. Any free agent signing maybe gets 3 years? Enough time for these draft picks to develop in Austin and when they’re ready they’ll be called up and Rui will be let go if he disappointed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know how many picks we have and I know that most of those picks are 2nd rounders that’ll be sold or packaged to move up. I still believe that most of these kids will be developing in Austin for years. Heyyy but if you’re right about KBD being better overall than Rui that works just as well. I just don’t see it. Also you’re looking at 7 years down the road with the pick total. Any free agent signing maybe gets 3 years? Enough time for these draft picks to develop in Austin and when they’re ready they’ll be called up and Rui will be let go if he disappointed.
    You can't just draft a lot of players and send them to Austin. That's not how it works.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't just draft a lot of players and send them to Austin. That's not how it works.
    Over the next 3 years how many draft picks do you realistically see getting rotation time? It won’t be every pick and that’s if the Spurs even keep them all. Every 2nd rounder will be in Austin at best and probably sold or packaged to move up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Second rounders have to agree in advance to sign a 2 way. Tre Jones flat refused and got a roster spot. The 15 man roster then becomes the crunch point, since even if a player is in Austin, they still count against the 15 man limit. We're going to have a hard time just slotting our 13 FRPs into the roster if we don't move some of them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Over the next 3 years how many draft picks do you realistically see getting rotation time? It won’t be every pick and that’s if the Spurs even keep them all. Every 2nd rounder will be in Austin at best and probably sold or packaged to move up.
    They have to agree to a 2way or count against the 15 man roster. You can't just arbitrarily draft a player and send them to Austin. They actually MUST be offered an NBA contract and a spot on the 15 man roster, even if it's unguarantteed, unless there is a pre-agreement to sign a 2way.

Thread Information