Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with you, I wouldn't trade him either. But they will have to give something to someone to move up if that is the plan.
    They have 2 first rounders, Beli/forbes/Bertans and future firsts/seconds. If that is not enough, then they won’t move up IMO (unless something unexpected happens with trading DeRozan/LMA)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think it would be necessary. Instagram Baller is pretty highly thought of around the league even though he's kind of a fraud. There's not a deal that would work with Lonnie that wouldn't also work with IB.
    The only reason I think DJ is safe is supposedly he has been in the coaches meetings all year. He's been tutored this whole year as to what the coaches are thinking, how they adjusted because of injury and personnel this year, and what Pop is going to want to do differently next year with everyone healthy. Pop isn't going to spend that time with him and then deal him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs aren’t trading Murray/Lonnie/White unless it’s for a star. If it were a top 4 or 5 pick, maybe. But not for anything late-ish lottery.
    I think they would if they're as high on Rui as some of us are. They had no problem trading Georgie, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs need to be prepared to trade up 5-6 spots to draft Hachimura or Clarke.
    Don't know if a team will want whatever we'd have to offer or if the Spurs would pull the trigger on that.
    Wouldn't trade up for Clarke. He can only fit in certain lineups and is just an iffy fit with the core overall.

I'm not sure I'd trade up for Rui either. I like him at 19 but he had legit flaws that would scare me from using too many assets on him. I mean, his basketball IQ is legitimately suspect. I'm not convinced he has the IQ to survive defensively in San Antonio's system.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only reason I think DJ is safe is supposedly he has been in the coaches meetings all year. He's been tutored this whole year as to what the coaches are thinking, how they adjusted because of injury and personnel this year, and what Pop is going to want to do differently next year with everyone healthy. Pop isn't going to spend that time with him and then deal him.
    He probably is. Everyone's enamored with him, while the humble, superior PG gets treated like a redheaded stepchild. Wouldn't shock me if they dangle White before they dangle IB smh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think they would if they're as high on Rui as some of us are. They had no problem trading Georgie, tbh.
    Even coming out of college, Kawhi’s defense and rebounding and bball IQ was considered elite. If they really felt they could get someone with Kawhi upside? Sure. But it seems so unlikely that anyone after pick 4 has that type of talent.

Odds of getting an all nba defensive player (Murray) with pick 10-19 are slim, so why trade Murray? Getting a guard as polished as White with legit 2-way chops? Low. Lonnie would be a top 14 pick IMO this year with another year of playing showing well.

I just don’t see trading one of those guys for a question mark player when 2 of the 3 already showed legit nba skills and Lonnie is close to being a higher ceiling than both of them.

But sure, if they think they have a future MVP/DPOY player they would put one of them on the table.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldn't trade up for Clarke. He can only fit in certain lineups and is just an iffy fit with the core overall.

I'm not sure I'd trade up for Rui either. I like him at 19 but he had legit flaws that would scare me from using too many assets on him. I mean, his basketball IQ is legitimately suspect. I'm not convinced he has the IQ to survive defensively in San Antonio's system.

I mean, I don’t disagree, but with the assets SA has to trade, I wouldn’t mind trading up for Rui. If trading up means 19+29 to get 15? I don’t view that as a big deal. If Rui is who they love, I don’t mind losing 29 for him (even though not ideal).

Or even if it costs 19 + Beli or something like that? Meh.

Edit: Now, if moving up really does mean having to part ways with Murray or Lonnie or White? Then absolutely no. I agree with Chinook though - Poeltl could be an attractive piece and SA has already a reasonable path to replacing him. So if it’s 19 + Poeltl? I don’t view that as anything to sweat over really.

But I would rather have Little than Rui.
    Last edited by DPG21920; 05-29-2019 at 12:08 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He probably is. Everyone's enamored with him, while the humble, superior PG gets treated like a redheaded stepchild. Wouldn't shock me if they dangle White before they dangle IB smh.
    My friend, I am telling you SA isn’t dangling any of their young guys unless it’s for a package that is way different then moving up from 19 to 10-15.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs shouldn't trade any of Murray/White/Walker/Poeltl and hopefully pick up 2 more rookies for the forward spots. That would give them a complete core of young guys for the future. To move up I think 19 + Bertans is an offer other teams would be interested in, although moving one of the guards would make more sense (Forbes/Belinelli). If I'm not mistaken, moving Bertans 7 million would give us about 19 million in cap space, if we include Rudy's cap hold it's something like 6 million. Seems like a move that makes a lot of sense. I for one like Hachimura and I think Cam Johnson at 29 might be a save pick, cause he's the best shooter coming out of college and ready to play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very Harden esque on defense, but his offense is prolific, he'll go lottery because of it, I compare him as a player to Carmelo Anthony/Glen Robinson...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, I don’t disagree, but with the assets SA has to trade, I wouldn’t mind trading up for Rui. If trading up means 19+29 to get 15? I don’t view that as a big deal. If Rui is who they love, I don’t mind losing 29 for him (even though not ideal).

Or even if it costs 19 + Beli or something like that? Meh.

Edit: Now, if moving up really does mean having to part ways with Murray or Lonnie or White? Then absolutely no. I agree with Chinook though - Poeltl could be an attractive piece and SA has already a reasonable path to replacing him. So if it’s 19 + Poeltl? I don’t view that as anything to sweat over really.

But I would rather have Little than Rui.
    And what is that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And what is that?
    They can draft his replacement at 29 (the crop of bigs thought to be available there is actually rather shocking) and sign Milutinov/one of the several vet centers who are available every year nowadays to hold down the fort until that guy develops.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs shouldn't trade any of Murray/White/Walker/Poeltl and hopefully pick up 2 more rookies for the forward spots. That would give them a complete core of young guys for the future. To move up I think 19 + Bertans is an offer other teams would be interested in, although moving one of the guards would make more sense (Forbes/Belinelli). If I'm not mistaken, moving Bertans 7 million would give us about 19 million in cap space, if we include Rudy's cap hold it's something like 6 million. Seems like a move that makes a lot of sense. I for one like Hachimura and I think Cam Johnson at 29 might be a save pick, cause he's the best shooter coming out of college and ready to play.
    You don't need a "core of young guys"; you need about two really good ones. By that I mean near and future All-NBA types. Are any or all of those guys on track to be in that category? Maybe. I personally think Lonnie's career can follow a Oladipo-like trajectory. That would put him at the top end of the "second option" tier. Some folks have Murray as an elite defense/impact guy like Draymond. Okay. So maybe those are both keepers. What about White and Poeltl? White might be that solid starter/"fourth option" type that a lot of championship teams need. Poeltl might be a Splitter who stays healthy enough to reach his potential. Both of those things are valuable, but only to a point. If you can move one or both of those guys to get someone you think can jump ahead of Walker to get into that "first option" tier, why would you let those guys stop you?

And of course, you might go, "Well if it really comes down to that, I'd rather trade DeRozan or Aldridge", but what kind of sense does that make really? Impact stats have created a false sense of equivalency between stars and role-players. The truth is that DeRozan and Aldridge are way better than any of the Spurs' prospects can reasonably be projected to become. Yes, they have their problems, but so will most players who develop. You don't trade your stars to hold onto solid role-players. You let your future stars come up as role-players before handing them the reigns. That's how you maintain greatness, not by trying to get a whole bunch of guys the same age and either watch most of them walk or sign all of them and be in the tax while having no path to majorly improve.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't need a "core of young guys"; you need about two really good ones. By that I mean near and future All-NBA types. Are any or all of those guys on track to be in that category? Maybe. I personally think Lonnie's career can follow a Oladipo-like trajectory. That would put him at the top end of the "second option" tier. Some folks have Murray as an elite defense/impact guy like Draymond. Okay. So maybe those are both keepers. What about White and Poeltl? White might be that solid starter/"fourth option" type that a lot of championship teams need. Poeltl might be a Splitter who stays healthy enough to reach his potential. Both of those things are valuable, but only to a point. If you can move one or both of those guys to get someone you think can jump ahead of Walker to get into that "first option" tier, why would you let those guys stop you?

And of course, you might go, "Well if it really comes down to that, I'd rather trade DeRozan or Aldridge", but what kind of sense does that make really? Impact stats have created a false sense of equivalency between stars and role-players. The truth is that DeRozan and Aldridge are way better than any of the Spurs' prospects can reasonably be projected to become. Yes, they have their problems, but so will most players who develop. You don't trade your stars to hold onto solid role-players. You let your future stars come up as role-players before handing them the reigns. That's how you maintain greatness, not by trying to get a whole bunch of guys the same age and either watch most of them walk or sign all of them and be in the tax while having no path to majorly improve.
    where did I say I disagree with you? You don't have to be so defensive Chinook, I agree with your points. The only reason I say they should hold on to all of the young guys is because I don't really see a potential franchise player in this draft that the Spurs could trade up for. Maybe next year, but that'll be a whole different scenario

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rui doesn't have good defensive IQ but that was a terrible article, tbh. Their main example is ridiculous.

There’s one play in particular that stands out as the primary example of Hachimura’s lack of awareness and processing ability. It’s the following clip from Gonzaga’s matchup at Portland on Jan. 19.

That was actually pretty damn good defense by Rui, tbh. Clarke was fronting the post (he's so small that he's extra vulnerable to the pass over the top in that situation), so Rui recognized it and helped from the other side of the court. He anticipated the pass to his man, ran him off the three-point line without leaving his feet and was able to stay with him. The Gonzaga guard on the top of the key opted to let their center shoot a three rather than rotate over (looking it up, that center on Pacific isn't a three-point threat). Textbook defense and actually one of the better reads Rui made on defense, ironically, tbh

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl sets good picks. It's an under-appreciated art, and he's the best the Spurs have had in that department since Splitter, and this was his first year with these players. He's also shown that he can be a very productive roll man. That's also an under-appreciated art. And it's becoming more important than ever in today's game. The Spurs can easily get another player with his height, and who doesn't shoot 3's. But if it was easy to find guys who have a feel for the PnR, everybody would have one. The Spurs aren't going to get rid of Poeltl unless they have a very specific player in mind, who will be a big difference maker, and who they can't get without using him to move up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at ranking him the 41st best player because of "feel"

ing tryhards, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy is still the one. I rewatched a couple of YT vids of this dude to make sure I didn't overrate him the the first time around and I'm kind of perplexed at how some people don't see it with him. Offensively, he looks like a mix of Nephew and Gay.

Our Spurs will be back if we draft this kid, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm kind of perplexed at how some people don't see it with him.
    The hipster thing to do for draft experts right now is to pretend Rui belongs in the 40s on the Big Boards. There's just no way, IMO. His almost perfect modern day NBA frame and real life production at Gonzaga is enough to make him at the very least top 30.

He was overrated when earlier this year there was talk about him going in the top five but now the pendulum swung too far the other way.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rui is the Spurs target.

If they can obtain him, they will.

They have scouted him extensively and gone beyond that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im gonna laugh so hard when we dont draft this guy and hes there for the taking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The hipster thing to do for draft experts right now is to pretend Rui belongs in the 40s on the Big Boards. There's just no way, IMO. His almost perfect modern day NBA frame and real life production at Gonzaga is enough to make him at the very least top 30.

He was overrated when earlier this year there was talk about him going in the top five but now the pendulum swung too far the other way.
    Idk bruh, admittedly I haven't watched much of the consensus Top 5/Top 10 guys but I find it really hard to believe that there are 10 better prospects than him. He just looks so damn impressive to me.

Rui is the Spurs target.

If they can obtain him, they will.

They have scouted him extensively and gone beyond that.
    Whatever it takes, imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy is still the one. I rewatched a couple of YT vids of this dude to make sure I didn't overrate him the the first time around and I'm kind of perplexed at how some people don't see it with him. Offensively, he looks like a mix of Nephew and Gay.

Our Spurs will be back if we draft this kid, tbh.
    I'm with you on that. Still think he got star potential and physically he has all the tools. There's no coach better than Pop who could improve his awareness and positioning on defense and there's no better shooting coach who could help him up his 3-point percentage than Chip. Those are his 2 main weaknesses

Thread Information