Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The guy is going top 10 for sure, no way we are getting him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi couldn't score like that in college. Hachimura has improved every season, he got the right work ethic and fits the Spurs character wise. He could also turn into a Kawhi/Giannis type player. Hard to make a prognosis, but I'd love to draft him. A player who played 3 years in college and was one of the top players and scorers there can definitely play in the NBA right away and doesn't have to get sent to the G-League. His defensive weaknesses can easily be turned into strengths, especially by Pop. It'll come down to him having a jump shot or not and we got Chip so I'd take my chances
    No, he will not turn into Kawhi / Giannis. These comparisons are laughable. He looks like his ceiling is a garbage mans version of Melo. He has nowhere near the look of a Kawhi, Giannis caliber player. I think people watch a few highlight dunks of his and assume thats something he will become. P.S Kawhi did showcase more offensive skills / instincts than Rui has. People like to make the narrative that the Spurs created Kawhi from a blank canvas. Thats not true. They just helped polished his existing skills.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does this guy have a jump shot? Watched a draft strengths video and most of his 36 point game vs Baylor...and I think I saw one fadeaway out of a post-up. Everything else was bully ball drives.
    I don't think he does. He seems somewhere between and young Blake and Capela in terms of how he gets his points. I'd take the risk at 19 easy that he can develop something to let him get enough minutes to show his other good traits (like being the best defender in the country). Not every team can do that.
    This kid's got extensive FIBA experience playing against the best international talent; he represented the men's national team in 2018 and helped Japan, a team comprised of no-names, defeat Australia which featured a few NBA players. Anyone who's watched him play, especially his FIBA games, knows that his mid-range jumpshot is elite. While he still displayed a strong mid-range jumper in college, he focused more on getting to the rim. I'd say the only questionable part of his game is his defense.

Check out his FIBA Highlights below:

vs Australia

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This kid's got extensive FIBA experience playing against the best international talent; he represented the men's national team in 2018 and helped Japan, a team comprised of no-names, defeat Australia which featured a few NBA players. Anyone who's watched him play, especially his FIBA games, knows that his mid-range jumpshot is elite. While he still displayed a strong mid-range jumper in college, he focused more on getting to the rim. I'd say the only questionable part of his game is his defense.

Check out his FIBA Highlights below:

vs Australia

That particular exchange was about Rui's teammate, Brandon Clarke.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That particular exchange was about Rui's teammate, Brandon Clarke.
    Ahh, not sure how I misread that. I'd be happy if the Spurs took either Clarke or Hachimura from Gonzaga. Hachimura's the better player but Clarke's a better system player, if that makes any sense, and might better compliment a system that already has LMA and Derozan. He doesn't demand the ball and can still be very effective on both ends of the floor
    Last edited by Boomersgold; 05-05-2019 at 10:16 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, he will not turn into Kawhi / Giannis. These comparisons are laughable. He looks like his ceiling is a garbage mans version of Melo. He has nowhere near the look of a Kawhi, Giannis caliber player. I think people watch a few highlight dunks of his and assume thats something he will become. P.S Kawhi did showcase more offensive skills / instincts than Rui has. People like to make the narrative that the Spurs created Kawhi from a blank canvas. Thats not true. They just helped polished his existing skills.
    Like his dribbling skills? Or that amazing Jordanesque fade away jumper he already had in college. I also forgot he was an above average 3 point shooter in college with a NBA ready shot. Man Spurs were lucky they didn't need to teach him anything. Only polish what was already there

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    language barrier prevented him from leaning the college ball first two years on Zags.
    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25288415/the-education-gonzaga-rui-hachimura

I know, as a japanese, most japanese people cannot speak in english.
    basketball needs verbal communication more than baseball.
    so i hope his ceiling, especially his defense, is higher than his age gives.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would like the spurs to trade up for this guy if available. Spurs pick late 1st rounders all the time and this is a golden opportunity to grab a quality player in the low/mid teens. Plus one more roster spot you can use to bring in someone with experience who can better contribute rather than a late round draft prospect who will need development.

Also, I feel when you get a best ever prospect from a country they seem to have a little more loyalty and fire in their hearts since they represent something greater than themselves.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi couldn't score like that in college. Hachimura has improved every season, he got the right work ethic and fits the Spurs character wise. He could also turn into a Kawhi/Giannis type player. Hard to make a prognosis, but I'd love to draft him. A player who played 3 years in college and was one of the top players and scorers there can definitely play in the NBA right away and doesn't have to get sent to the G-League. His defensive weaknesses can easily be turned into strengths, especially by Pop. It'll come down to him having a jump shot or not and we got Chip so I'd take my chances
    Hachimura's not anywhere near the rebounder or defender Kawhi was in college. Better scorer but that's about it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hachimura's not anywhere near the rebounder or defender Kawhi was in college. Better scorer but that's about it.
    And Kawhi wasn't nearly the offensive player that Hachimura is in college. It's a comparison, that doesn't mean he'll be the same exact player in every aspect. I don't know why even have to explain that. He has the physical tools to be a good defender though

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You should delete your account for posting something as dumb as this. Kawhi still wouldn't be able to make a jump shot if it wasn't for Chip

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guys, please keep the Kawhi crap in the Kawhi thread, ok?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    terrible Take on kawhis development

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like his dribbling skills? Or that amazing Jordanesque fade away jumper he already had in college. I also forgot he was an above average 3 point shooter in college with a NBA ready shot. Man Spurs were lucky they didn't need to teach him anything. Only polish what was already there
    Freaking yes! He had moves like those but they were rough. Watch his freaking college tape for Gods sake, instead of being a smartass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You should delete your account for posting something as dumb as this. Kawhi still wouldn't be able to make a jump shot if it wasn't for Chip
    Never did i say Kawhi exhibited great shooting skills in college. But his instincts were there and he attempted them. That is what im saying. Kawhi had the look of Kawhi before he became Kawhi. Just watch his college tapes. He didnt just become the monster he is now, there was a shadow of it that was shown in college and the Spurs just helped built it. Rui doesnt have that shadow, he has a much different path with his set of offensive skills. Watch his tape. Hes on his way to be a poor mans Melo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Freaking yes! He had moves like those but they were rough. Watch his freaking college tape for Gods sake, instead of being a smartass.
    He could dribble? And he had a 3??? Dude shot like 20% from 3 in college. I dont need to watch . And he didnt have that fade away in college either. And the spurs didnt rework his shot?? Polishing a shot is just getting reps and learning how to shoot a bit quicker since the gaps close in faster on defense. It doesnt mean to have someone fix your shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He could dribble? And he had a 3??? Dude shot like 20% from 3 in college. I dont need to watch . And he didnt have that fade away in college either. And the spurs didnt rework his shot?? Polishing a shot is just getting reps and learning how to shoot a bit quicker since the gaps close in faster on defense. It doesnt mean to have someone fix your shot.
    If you dont feel the need to watch the tape, whats the point of this conversation? I didnt say he was good at 3 point shooting. You ask all these questions but you dont even try, man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would love for the spurs to trade up and get him. He has the tools to be a great defender and can develop into a good shooter not a scorer but a reliable threat to hit shots. He’s not going to be kawhi/giannis so let’s stop with that. A better comparison would be Tobias Harris with defense. Ceiling: 3rd best player on a championship team.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The one thing I noticed that needs to be corrected -- he has a hitch at the top of his release point which caused a couple of his late game shots get blocked.

That's a good pickup. I didn't notice any hitch, but I have commented on him bringing the ball down low before he shoots. He's going to get lit up by NBA defenders until he learns not to do that. I also watched him take passes on fast breaks a lot where he put the ball on the floor before going up when he didn't have to, and it gave defenders a chance to close and challenge a shot that should have been uncontested. That's just part of the learning process that lots of young players have to go through. Whatever the hitch you see, I don't think he needs any major re-work of his shooting stroke.

He's not a natural passer, and that's going to cause him some grief at the next level too - just because if they know you're not going to pass they can sell out on the drive. I watched Harden last night hold the ball for entire shot clocks, possession after possession. Even he has a hard time penetrating when the defenders know he's not looking to set someone else up. To me, that's his single biggest need for improvement.

I still think he's one of the most mature players in this draft, and I don't see how he can possibly slide to 19. But we can dream.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People are crazy we getting the 19th pick not the first or second or third. If he falls you take him at his age
    and tools the worse is a solid bench player the best is you got a starting level player out of a mid late first
    round.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gonzaga’s Rui Hachimura has opted to skip the NBA draft combine next week

https://www.krem.com/article/sports/...5-7987f3f374c6

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gonzaga’s Rui Hachimura has opted to skip the NBA draft combine next week

https://www.krem.com/article/sports/...5-7987f3f374c6

Someone already promised to take him. No need to take any chances if you've already got a deal you like locked up.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably in the range of 12 to 15 promises.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably in the range of 12 to 15 promises.

The Spurs traded up to 15 to get Kawhi. Detroit picks at 15, and they need a PG in the worst way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs traded up to 15 to get Kawhi. Detroit picks at 15, and they need a PG in the worst way.
    Spurs aren't moving Murray or White, and Detroit doesn't want Mills.

Thread Information