Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With how much new games run these days (not to mention DLCs, micro-transactions, etc.), what are your strategies for keeping gaming from chewing a hole in your wallet? I try to avoid games with micro-transactions, and I get most of my games at a used shop locally.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not buying games at or near launch. wait for complete or goty editions for games that are likely to contain DLC

wait for baseline bum to post great deals

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not buying games at or near launch. wait for complete or goty editions for games that are likely to contain DLC

wait for baseline bum to post great deals
    Bend over, I'll have a great deal for you.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    i have a good job and no kids. and my wife has her own job so i have a lot of disposable income tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't buy games at launch (with rare exception).

I don't play online games, thus, no microtransactions.

I almost never buy DLCs unless it's a full-fledged expansion.

I just don't play that many games anymore. It's mostly AAA les that hook me in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basically, I wait until PS4 games are $20 or less (or $30 if I really want the game), and jump on them when they hit that price. I only pay MSRP if I have to have it that day when it launches*. For instance, I got Horizon Zero Dawn on launch since I had finished all the good PS4 exclusives at the time (which was basically Bloodborne, the Uncharted games, and The Last of Us), the game got great reviews, and looked awesome at E3 a few months before. Then I bought Yakuza Kiwami 2 at launch since I had been looking forward to that game for a year and was just wrapping up Yakuza Kiwami. Then bought RDR2 at launch because I had been looking forward to that for years (and then proceeded to buy a Switch two or three days later and played Super Mario Odyssey for weeks instead; what a dumb time to buy another console ).

* With the exception of Persona 5, which I paid the full $60 for because it ing never went on sale for months at the time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Today, my daughter (who is nine) bought a pair of shoes for her character in Royal High (Roblox) for $25. So, my family is definitely not winning at making video games affordable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Today, my daughter (who is nine) bought a pair of shoes for her character in Royal High (Roblox) for $25. So, my family is definitely not winning at making video games affordable.
    Ouch. Half the price of a real pair of shoes for a nine year-old.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I play mostly older retro games that have been ported the newer stuff I wait for the consoles to be...ahem... liberated as they say

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the game got great reviews, and looked awesome at E3 a few months before.
    That's a good point. That's another benefiting of not buying games when they release. You get more time to find out if buying them is even worth it at any price.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I play mostly older retro games that have been ported the newer stuff I wait for the consoles to be...ahem... liberated as they say
    Switch is already liberated if you buy one on a low enough serial number. Also liberated Switch is amazing for retro games through RetroArch. Works great for NES, SNES, Master System, Genesis, PC Engine, Famicom Disk System, and PS1. Plus lots of arcade games through Final Burn Alpha. Some people claim they good good N64 performance too but even after the dynarec was released Mario 64 still runs like crap for me on Switch. Though I see people claiming they can even run Conker's Bad Fur Day well on it. But awesome playing old arcade games like Shinobi and Strider handheld.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still use the ol' Wii U for Retroarch kinda stuff
    Switch is an operation in progress as they say...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still use the ol' Wii U for Retroarch kinda stuff
    Switch is an operation in progress as they say...
    Not sure you should ever expect CFW for the ipatched Switches not vulnerable to the fusee gelee exploit (eg those manufactured July 2018 and later). Deja Vu is supposedly impossible on 8.0.0 and later according to the developer behind Atmosphere CFW and that was the only known exploit for people with ipatched Switches (though he claims he should be able to get it working on 7.0.1 and before). I mean you'll usually see exploits come out near EOL for systems but not always. For instance you can't put CFW on PS3 later than CECH-25XX here five and a half years after the PS4 release. You still can't softmod XBox 360 (though the soldering looks pretty easy for hardmodding).

Kind of interested to see if PS4 gets a publicly released exploit at EOL. I'd probably buy a second one and slap CFW on it to use for PS2 emulation then, especially since PS4 will be cheap as once PS5 releases since PS5 is confirmed by Sony to be backwards compatible with PS4.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gamefly

I spend about .75 a day to rent out 2 games at a time. I would spend twice that on the arcades back in the 80's.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    I quit. Now I develop my own Android games.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure you should ever expect CFW for the ipatched Switches not vulnerable to the fusee gelee exploit (eg those manufactured July 2018 and later). Deja Vu is supposedly impossible on 8.0.0 and later according to the developer behind Atmosphere CFW and that was the only known exploit for people with ipatched Switches (though he claims he should be able to get it working on 7.0.1 and before). I mean you'll usually see exploits come out near EOL for systems but not always. For instance you can't put CFW on PS3 later than CECH-25XX here five and a half years after the PS4 release. You still can't softmod XBox 360 (though the soldering looks pretty easy for hardmodding).

Kind of interested to see if PS4 gets a publicly released exploit at EOL. I'd probably buy a second one and slap CFW on it to use for PS2 emulation then, especially since PS4 will be cheap as once PS5 releases since PS5 is confirmed by Sony to be backwards compatible with PS4.
    I have faith in the ingenuity of the hacker scene

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have faith in the ingenuity of the hacker scene
    Speaking of the hacking scene, if you're interested in the Vita the 3.69/3.70 hack (Trinity) was just released two or three days ago. From there you can downgrade to 3.60 or 3.65 and get a cold-boot permanent hack with Enso. Then there is a plugin called reF00D that allows you to play games needing higher firmware on 3.60 or 3.65. If you get a Vita on 3.67 or 3.68 you can just downgrade to 3.65 or 3.60 immediately using h-encore instead of Trinity (Trinity requires getting a PSP game off PSN, including free demos). For lower firmwares either upgrade to 3.60 or 3.65 (doesn't matter thanks to reF00D other than 3.60 being a simpler firmware to install Enso on).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    micro transactions? fck that, continue farming rare items/money or play with what you got...

u can become godly player to if self funded, but the process is longer...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Game on PC and take advantage of all the great 100% off sales

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    micro transactions? fck that, continue farming rare items/money or play with what you got...

u can become godly player to if self funded, but the process is longer...
    I've also known players who had sufficient skill to compensate for the fact that they didn't have the best equipment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've also known players who had sufficient skill to compensate for the fact that they didn't have the best equipment.
    Is that why you rape kids?

Thread Information