Post Count

Kevin Porter Jr.

School: USC
    Position: SG
    Height: 6-foot-5.5
    Weight: 213
    Wingspan: 6-foot-10
    Draft Range: 8 to 20

Why: Shake and bake extraordinaire. Has a plethora of crossover moves, hesitation dribbles, shifty spins and a slick step-back jumper. Strong, explosive body. Fearless and has a high potential as a finisher at the rim. Knows how to create open shots in isolations. Shot 41.2% on threes on 8.3 attempts per 100 possessions. Decent to good court vision. Length and athleticism gives him a high ceiling defensively -- already really good at rebounding and blocking shots at that end. Went to the same high school where the Spurs scouted Dejounte Murray extensively. Still young with a lot of room for growth.

Why Not: Potential character red flag: got suspended at USC indefinitely for an off-court reason that wasn't disclosed. Also dealt with a mysterious injury during his freshman season; only played 22.1 minutes per game. Jumper is flat with a low release point. Barely got to the line and when he did shot only 52.2%. Often dribbles too much and his array of moves are usually more style than substance. Not always a willing passer; poor shot selection at times; turns it over a lot. Needs to study Defensive Fundamentals 101. As it is, fouls way too much.

Spurs Fit: He'd be looking at a year in Austin, at least. There's not an obvious fit next to White, Murray and Walker unless one of those three gets moved.

Spurs Comparison - Ceiling: Stephen Jackson's brain in Manu Ginobili's body

Spurs Comparison - Floor: More Erratic Vernon Maxwell

College Stats
    Highlight Video
    Tankathon Profile
    NBADraft.net Profile

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kid lost his father at the age of 4. Spurs would be the best organization for personal development and maturity. Also not just went to the same school as Dejounte but they actually played together. These reasons give me hope that the Spurs could make it work and would be a blessing for him.

If he gets that straightened out, yeah - he’s got potential of Ginobili/Harden territory.

We should take the best available and this kid might be it if he falls in draft.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    USC's Kevin Porter official measurements at the NBA Combine: 6'5 1/2 with shoes, 213 pounds, 6'10 wingspan, 8'7 standing reach, 5.1% body fat.

good measurements for porter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'd take him. he has legit talent and great length. we cant act like lonnie/murray are sure-fire future starters. should always be drafting talent over need unless you are a serious le contender needing a very specific piece. we aren't there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ������ SJAXs brain in Ginobili’s body im sold!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most projections I’ve seen have him going top 15 but if available I’d be happy to see Spurs take him at 19. That’d mean Spurs’s did their homework and were comfortable with character issues and while he overlaps with other young Spurs it would give them a stable of Porter, Murray, White and Walker where one or more could develop into an all-star caliber backcourt player and give them trade fodder like George Hill.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've seen this guy linked to us in multiple mocks. All quoting the same lines: "serious character concerns" "will be a major red flag and will fall in the draft" "Spurs have the perfect culture for him" "He has a built in mentor in DJ"

I think he has the most potential of our realistic options (unless someone rolls the dice on him and it causes another player to fall to us) but it makes you wonder who we would trade away? Or would we hold all four (DJ, DW, IV and Porter)? And stunt someone's growth if we did?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs Comparison - Ceiling: Stephen Jackson's brain in Manu Ginobili's body

not bad

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have the Spurs even worked him out?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have the Spurs even worked him out?
    For the moment, the only guys we know who worked out for the spurs are secound round, undrafted projected guys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've seen this guy linked to us in multiple mocks. All quoting the same lines: "serious character concerns" "will be a major red flag and will fall in the draft" "Spurs have the perfect culture for him" "He has a built in mentor in DJ"

I think he has the most potential of our realistic options (unless someone rolls the dice on him and it causes another player to fall to us) but it makes you wonder who we would trade away? Or would we hold all four (DJ, DW, IV and Porter)? And stunt someone's growth if we did?
    Plain Jane comp

Murray (Parker)
    White (Green)
    Porter Jr (Ginobili)
    Walker (Kawhi)
    Aldridge (Duncan)

Gay, Poetl, Forbes. Trade Derozan for assets/solid pieces and you’re set.

That kind of structure dismantled the Heat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have the spurs ever worked out a player they've drafted before?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have the spurs ever worked out a player they've drafted before?
    Parker twice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude's game looks impressive as compared to the other guards in the late lottery. But we dont need another freaking guard! Not unless we trade both Forbes and Mills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn 20 years ago. Back when the spurs could work players out and not get them stolen

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I posted back in March, Porter's got an NBA body (he's stout and plays bigger than the 6'5" or 6'6" he's listed as) and he can hit the three (.412%).

As others have noted, he's got some issues -- he was injured earlier in the season (the dreaded thigh bruise) and then was suspended by USC for unspecified reasons -- so he could drop to where the Spurs draft. (NBADraft.net had the Spurs picking him with their second pick at 29 in March and now he's picked at #32 on that site. He's higher-rated on most others.)

In any event, Porter finished the season after his suspension on the court and playing well.

I've seen him play for USC in person and he passes the eyeball test -- he could be the athletic wing everyone wants. (His sturdy build, athletic moves, and mid-range game remind me a bit of NBA swingmen from the 90's.)

In fact, he's one of the three guys I like for the Spurs at #19, getting him at #29 would be an even bigger heist.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see him in a few mock drafts going to San Antonio. How often have the mock drafts gotten it right in terms of who the Spurs draft?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    19 Grant Williams
    Trade up with Forbes/Bertans with the 29 and get this guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of discussion I heard and read from guys who track the draft closely, talk to NBA personell, like Vecine, say that since there are so few guards in the draft that can create their own shot some team is likely to take a flyer on Porter relatively early. He’d be one of my favorites, along with Clarke who I guarantee isn’t falling to 19. After that it’s a crap shoot on bigs but frankly I think Spurs have nowhere near the feel for drafting and ability to develop bigs compared to guards.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know if the Spurs could "fix" him, but USC was definitely not a good place for him - they were a train wreck this year. Whatever happened was bad enough that the coach not only suspended him, but speculated at the time that he may have played his last game as a Trojan. But there were other discipline problems on that team, and it doesn't sound like there were many positive influences for Porter.

Pretty much everyone projected him in the lottery, before the injury and incident. I'd welcome taking him at 29, if he fell that far. A rare chance to get a lottery caliber talent well outside the lottery, and a shot at hitting a home run out of the Kawhi trade. But I think that 19 pick is too important to take that big of a chance on. I'd be happy with another White/Murray level talent at 19, without so much risk or drama. If he's there at 29 then swing away Merrill.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kind of off-topic...but is there something about lefties that makes them have a low release point and not shoot at their highest point of elevation? Manu, Harden, D'Angelo Russell, Conley, that one guy the Spurs brought up from Austin a couple years ago that moved just like Harden, this Porter guy, etc.

Seems like even the elite lefties aren't capable of having an unguardable shot like the elite righties who's release point is over their heads+get really good elevation (Durbeta, Nephew, MJ, Tmac, VC, Kirby, etc).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kind of off-topic...but is there something about lefties that makes them have a low release point and not shoot at their highest point of elevation? Manu, Harden, D'Angelo Russell, Conley, that one guy the Spurs brought up from Austin a couple years ago that moved just like Harden, this Porter guy, etc.

Seems like even the elite lefties aren't capable of having an unguardable shot like the elite righties who's release point is over their heads+get really good elevation (Durbeta, Nephew, MJ, Tmac, VC, Kirby, etc).
    Lefties are also shooting into the dominant hand of their defender. That tends to advantage right-handed shooters as compared to lefties.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This dude looks legit though. So far my second favorite prospect, out of the very few I've looked at, after Rui. Definitely worth taking a shot on him if he's available.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lefties are also shooting into the dominant hand of their defender. That tends to advantage right-handed shooters as compared to lefties.
    Yeah, but I don't know why that would prevent lefties from having this type of shooting form:

I think it might have something to do with their body mechanics, tbh.

Thread Information