Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What are some games that you enjoyed despite the fact that most other gamers or critics didn’t?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nier is the poster child for awesome game that (western) critics all over. It has some of the best written characters I have seen and an incredible storyline with a top notch soundtrack. Graphically it's pretty lousy and the combat is nothing special, though that doesn't stop people from loving Elder Scrolls and old-school Fallout games (the sequel NieR Automata really nailed the combat though thanks to Platinum Games' involvement). Overall the writing makes the game a 9/10 IMO while critics like Gamespot gave it 5/10. Not really a hidden gem any more though since everyone knows NieR Automata, which made this game go from the $5 bargain bin to $30+ used.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    i'm apparently the only person here who legitimately enjoyed Watchdogs (and Watchdogs 2) and has played it several times from beginning to end.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm going back a ways, and I honestly don't remember what critics said, but the game I think of is Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. It sold poorly and Troika Games went out of business afterwards. The game really shined after fans patched it.

On a side note, I just now realized a sequel is in the works.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'm apparently the only person here who legitimately enjoyed Watchdogs (and Watchdogs 2) and has played it several times from beginning to end.
    Make that two of us...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nier is the poster child for awesome game that (western) critics all over. It has some of the best written characters I have seen and an incredible storyline with a top notch soundtrack. Graphically it's pretty lousy and the combat is nothing special, though that doesn't stop people from loving Elder Scrolls and old-school Fallout games (the sequel NieR Automata really nailed the combat though thanks to Platinum Games' involvement). Overall the writing makes the game a 9/10 IMO while critics like Gamespot gave it 5/10. Not really a hidden gem any more though since everyone knows NieR Automata, which made this game go from the $5 bargain bin to $30+ used.
    I haven't played either of these, but I keep hearing about them lately. Characters and story are what matter to me most in a game, so I'm increasingly thinking I'll need to add these to my list. Is the sequel as strong as the original in terms of story?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't played either of these, but I keep hearing about them lately. Characters and story are what matter to me most in a game, so I'm increasingly thinking I'll need to add these to my list. Is the sequel as strong as the original in terms of story?
    The sequel has a great story but not as good as the original. The combat and skill customization is much better in the sequel and the soundtrack is better too. The sequel NieR Automata is one of the nine or so games I have ever played that I'd rate 10/10 (the only other game this gen I'd rate 10/10 is Bloodborne).

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The sequel has a great story but not as good as the original. The combat and skill customization is much better in the sequel and the soundtrack is better too. The sequel NieR Automata is one of the nine or so games I have ever played that I'd rate 10/10 (the only other game this gen I'd rate 10/10 is Bloodborne).
    What would you say has changed between generations which has caused a decline in quality (being as you only rated 2 games this gen with 10/10)?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What would you say has changed between generations which has caused a decline in quality (being as you only rated 2 games this gen with 10/10)?
    It hasn't declined in quality at all; in fact it has gone up IMO. The only game last gen I'd give a 10/10 to was Skyrim. If I broke down a list of my 10/10 games by generation they'd go:

Eighth Gen: Bloodborne (PS4), NieR Automata (PC)
    Seventh Gen: The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim (PC)
    Sixth Gen: Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne (PS2)
    Fifth Gen: Fallout 2 (PC), Half Life 1 (PC)
    Fourth Gen: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
    Third Gen: Super Mario Bros 1 (NES), Shinobi (Arcade)
    Second Gen: <none>
    First Gen: <none>

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Make that two of us...
    Mein neger

never got the hate for these games tbh. i know bb was pissed about the graphical downgrades but its not like it has trash graphics on PC. but it's pretty much GTA with hacking and the 2nd one although i did not enjoy the story as much has a wide array of fun gadgets and to hack the environment. i hope they make a 3rd

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mein neger

never got the hate for these games tbh. i know bb was pissed about the graphical downgrades but its not like it has trash graphics on PC. but it's pretty much GTA with hacking and the 2nd one although i did not enjoy the story as much has a wide array of fun gadgets and to hack the environment. i hope they make a 3rd
    I guess it's like some people like boning meth chicks. To each his own?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It hasn't declined in quality at all; in fact it has gone up IMO. The only game last gen I'd give a 10/10 to was Skyrim. If I broke down a list of my 10/10 games by generation they'd go:

Eighth Gen: Bloodborne (PS4), NieR Automata (PC)
    Seventh Gen: The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim (PC)
    Sixth Gen: Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne (PS2)
    Fifth Gen: Fallout 2 (PC), Half Life 1 (PC)
    Fourth Gen: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
    Third Gen: Super Mario Bros 1 (NES), Shinobi (Arcade)
    Second Gen: <none>
    First Gen: <none>
    Nice list. I never had a chance to play Fallout 2. I'm not sure I could give Skyrim a 10/10 myself because of its insane glitches as well as an emphasis on "breadth over depth," but it's undeniably an amazing game in the areas where it excels.

Thread Information