Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In college he was a C (effectively), but he doesn't have the size for that in the NBA (yeah, Draymond is shorter, but has a significantly bigger wingspan, as well as being much heavier). Clarke has, however, the athleticism to play the 3 in the NBA (seriously, he's freaky), where he'd be a big a big 3, or an acceptable sized 4. The question is how much can he develop his perimeter skills necessary. Everyone acknowledges he works hard, and is a character guy, but he is older and hasn't got the skills necessary yet. At a minimum to be more than a backup, he needs a jumper... There are positive signs, for discussion, see

https://www.thestepien.com/2019/01/1...randon-clarke/
    and
    https://www.thestepien.com/2019/01/0...randon-clarke/

He'd be a strong pick, IMO, at 19. If we can get him at 29, that's gravy.
    Very interesting article tbh. He seems to be the enforcer, high energy spark that this team is lacking. Also him being on a rookie contract approaching his prime and being on his 2nd contract during his prime would be quite an adavantage if his game translates and he can be an All-Defensive type player. He'd be a nice pick up at 29, not sure if I want him at 19
    Last edited by RC_Drunkford; 05-07-2019 at 06:20 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, getting a guy projected in the late lottery at 29 would be a "nice pickup." Probably not realistic though.

Probably my favorite player in the draft, but Clarke is not going to play the 3. He has neither the shot nor the handle to come close to that.

Closest comp to me is a better Larry Nance Jr.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I talked about this in the general 2019 Draft thread, but it still seems like nobody knows about it:

Clarke spent his first two years at SJSU, and his shooting stroke was a horror show. Not just bad - really, really bad. His coach left because of allegations of discrimination (which were mostly bull ), and Clarke transferred to Gonzaga because of their reputation for player development.

Here's the part that has made me skeptical of him. In between SJSU and Gonzaga, he started rebuilding his shooting stroke on his own. Like a full tear-down and rebuild. That's usually not a good idea to do without a good shooting coach. First because you need someone else looking at you. More importantly, because if the player knew the right things to do they probably wouldn't have a terrible stroke to begin with. DIY rebuilds tend to leave a guy with half-assed mechanics and a stroke that breaks down under pressure.

A couple of friends who are big Zaga fans say that the Bulldogs' coaches spent a lot of time with him, and that he really worked hard and focused on getting it right. His FT% improved a bunch, and so did his 2P% (although some of that is just from getting more close-range shots). That's the good news. The bad news is that he's still a bad 3P shooter. Not only that, but he pretty much won't take them. He only shot 15 3-pointers in 37 games this season. But that's still up from the 3 he attempted the year before. He's not a 3P shooter. Let it soak in... he is not a 3P shooter.

The way I see him, he's only got one possible role in the NBA, and that's as a small-ball 4. If that seems like a priority for this roster, then I guess he makes sense. I like the kid - I just don't see how the Spurs can spend a pick on what he brings to the table.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has spurs talk ever been right about a draft prospect tbh?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has spurs talk ever been right about a draft prospect tbh?
    What do you mean? I got my guy last year. So if you're asking if we ever correctly say you they're going to get, that does happen. Happened in 2011 too with Bertans. If you mean do we ever pick prospects who end up being good players, Harrell was a guy I really liked in 2015. I think I've been acquitted of that, though I hated the Milutinov pick and Nik could end up making me look foolish for that.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would trade both of our picks to move up and get this guy. He's complete defensively.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do you mean? I got my guy last year. So if you're asking if we ever correctly say you they're going to get, that does happen. Happened in 2011 too with Bertans. If you mean do we ever pick prospects who end up being good players, Harrell was a guy I really liked in 2015. I think I've been acquitted of that, though I hated the Milutinov pick and Nik could end up making me look foolish for that.
    How about both lol has spurs talk ever been correct about how a prospect is gonna pan out and has spurs talk ever called the player the spurs drafted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can we get a PJ Washington thread?

3 stars and a sun
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can we get a PJ Washington thread?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We should have a PJ thread in the Think Tank if timvp wants to pull it over. Washington was a prospect last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ouch. Clarke's wingspan only measured 6-foot-8 at the combine.

Does that cause any second thoughts for the Clarke fans?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That is surprising... an article on The Stepien estimated it to be 7'. He doesn't look short-armed in the way Zion does. Interesting find. Where are you finding these numbers?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the drop!

Taco Fall 8'2" wingspan!!! Damn! That's gotta be a record for the combine.

I'm a excited about this

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice, him having a small wingspan might make him drop some in the draft

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People here telling me that the combine only measures people without shoes now. But at least it looks like they are measuring everyone both ways.

Just for comparison, PJ Washington was 6'8" with shoes, and had a 8'11" standing reach. Five inches of standing reach is kind of a big deal.

Edit: BTW - Lonnie Walker was only 3/4" taller with shoes than without in his combine measurements. Some guys have been 1 3/4" taller with shoes (maybe more).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Starting to sound like a Julius Randle type

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I wasn't a fan of him being taken at 19 before that measurement and certainly not one now. He's a 6'8, 23 year old C with an average arm span and limited offensive skills.

He could still be an above average defender in the NBA but seems reliant on athletism, would be worried what he'd look like at 30 or 32 if he doesn't develop more offensive skills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Starting to sound like a Julius Randle type
    Randle has a seven-foot wingspan. Clarke has a Matt Bonner wingspan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice, him having a small wingspan might make him drop some in the draft
    Yahoo had him falling to us at 19 and Grant Williams at 29. I think I done with Yahoo. .

I want Washington, Bitidze, or Rui fall to 19, and Roby at 29- personally.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yahoo had him falling to us at 19 and Grant Williams at 29. I think I done with Yahoo. .

I want Washington, Bitidze, or Rui fall to 19, and Roby at 29- personally.
    I wouldn’t mind any of those guys tbh I follow the mock drafts too but they’re never reliable when it comes to how the draft will go down lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Randle has a seven-foot wingspan. Clarke has a Matt Bonner wingspan.
    One of the more surprising combine measurements that I can remember recently. People who “know’ love Clarke. This was a gut punch I think.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Nah, I think someone in this thread already pointed out his wingspan. This isn't a surprise. If we were talking about Clarke trying to become a good defender, the lack of length would be a real hindrance. But dude can already play at that end. He's not going to be a Clint Capela--like center, and I really think a lot of folks believe that's his path to the league. But today's four isn't that big. With Clarke's combination of instincts and athleticism, I think he can overcome his length.

Thread Information