Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you an adult, or 13 year old pretending?

Do you really recall Pau's draft class? Here it is : http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock.../2001/all/all/
    This was when the NBA was dominated by bigs, not our current 3 pt shooting contest. Thus, the top 4 picks in that draft, were ALL centers. Pau was the 3ed C picked. But many people thought he was too weak/small (as you yourself noted, "NBA bigs talked smack about how they were going to kick his ass in international compe ion that summer."). It was not obvious he was a hall of famer, nor the best player (and thus obviously the best C) unless of course, your a 13 year old using hindsight...

If the league was still dominated by C's (to the point that the top 4 picks in the draft were C's, like 2001) which big men in this draft would go ahead of Goga?

As to he relative agility question, yes, Pau for the time was very agile for a big. As mentioned though, the league was very different. You think it's obvious Pau's a C? In the day, they were considering him as an SF, "his natural position is SF" https://www.nbadraft.net/players/pau-gasol . The league has CHANGED. Things have sped way up. Pau coming into this league, he would be projected as a 5, and people would be worrying about if he could handle being pulled out to 3 pt range. Back then, things were different - teams would give you the 3 on the pick and roll; they would fight through picks, rather than switch. The objective was to stop the drive to the basket, and you would let teams have the 3 off pick and rolls....

PS. Nooblet? Your join date is Feb 2019. Mine is Oct 2006. Are you so stupid that you can't do that bit of math? I would suggest pulling your head out of your anus and taking a look around every so often. Trust me, you're just nowhere near as smart as you think you are...

Even though as I said I do agree the Gasol comparison isn't helpful.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No logic comparing him to Gasol, Gasol at that age was a seven foot PG, all skills...

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no. Slow footed big in 2019?!?!

Fear is craterface and his yes men seem obsessed with bringing back their baby boomers offense.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just listen to some euro experts who watched bitzdze this year.

They don’t think he is that slow, they think he can defend on the perimeter , not against quick players off course. They also say that his mid range is good, he is really good at the pick and pop, has a good IQ.

one of the flaw like tmvp said is that he can be moody, talking a lot With the referees...

Listening them i really think he can succeed in the nba.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just listen to some euro experts who watched bitzdze this year.

They don’t think he is that slow, they think he can defend on the perimeter , not against quick players off course. They also say that his mid range is good, he is really good at the pick and pop, has a good IQ.

one of the flaw like tmvp said is that he can be moody, talking a lot With the referees...

Listening them i really think he can succeed in the nba.
    i like him, he reminds me a bit of Nurkic, tho not as big but maybe a little faster. Certainly has range, sneaky good athleticism. I’ve seen of couple clips of him with good handles. As for the being moody part, I think it’s a trend with NBA players nowadays complaining to the refs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like a good rim protector. Good diver who finishes at the rim hard. Could develop into a solid pick and pop big with a set 3pt shot.

A lot of scouts seem to like him, get his appeal. Fine with PATFO taking him, so long as Roby is at 29.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy has Spurs written all over him. If he slips to 19, Pop and RC will run the card over to the commish themselves tbh. Don't think he falls to us though. He's rising in mocks already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy has Spurs written all over him. If he slips to 19, Pop and RC will run the card over to the commish themselves tbh. Don't think he falls to us though. He's rising in mocks already.

Yeah don't think he'll be there at 19 unfortunately. If not, I am now hoping they draft PJ Washington or Kevin Porter at 19 and Roby at 29.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really think he will be the best value at #19 if he's there and I'll be thrilled to get him... a lot are sleeping on him, very young and very talented with some proven already at high level, to me he's clearly a top 10 prospect, he reminds me two bigs in the last two draft who went top 10, Wendell Carter Jr and Zach Collins (but stronger)...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really think he will be the best value at #19 if he's there and I'll be thrilled to get him... a lot are sleeping on him, very young and very talented with some proven already at high level, to me he's clearly a top 10 prospect, he reminds me two bigs in the last two draft who went top 10, Wendell Carter Jr and Zach Collins (but stronger)...
    Tankathon has him at #13, but falling to us at 19 in the draft.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    +1 I hope he will be there at 19.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And this:

https://twitter.com/LifeOfABruin/sta...87749973897216

The young man got game...

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The biggest thing in favor of Bitadze is that he's still 19, and he could bulk up to become more of a banger like Nurkic. It takes almost all NBA big men 2 or even 3 years to develop, and he's young enough.

Most of the people commenting don't know much, if anything, about him. But here's a clue: when a big man who people call a "pretty good defender" is a foul machine, the reason is almost always a lack of quickness. They get there too late, so they have to reach. And reaching is how you rack up a foul-out every 36 minutes. Jusuf Nurkic has developed into a good NBA center. You know how you could have told that he wasn't going to be as good as Jokic? The two best ways were that Nurkic racked up more than a foul-out per 36 minutes, and didn't dish a lot of AST's. He wasn't quick enough to force double teams that would give him a wide open man to pass to, and he reached a lot on defense. Bitadze is said to be a "pretty good defender", but he fouls... a lot. And he doesn't dish a lot of assists. Now, maybe he'll be the exception who learns both of those things. But the problem is, you have to draft based on what you already know. And I'm telling you, those two things are pretty good clues.

In Nurkic' first two years in the NBA, he racked up 6.8 PF/36, and 6.0 PF/36. By comparison, Jokic got whistled for 4.3 and 3.8 PF/36 in his first two years. And since we've been comparing, Pau Gasol got 2.7 and 2.6 PF/36 in his first two years. Not that I wouldn't want Nurkic on the Spurs, and if Bitadze develops into that, he'll be a good draft pick. But even Nurkic has his drawbacks, in the New NBA. And having him on the floor pretty much dictates that you have to play a certain style of ball - and it's not the style of ball that the game is built around now. I think the Spurs can get a serviceable big man to back up Poeltl elsewhere. You can't teach quickness.

If the Spurs do draft him, remember I told you so: he isn't going to be a finesse big in the mold of Pau Gasol. And before he can become a banger like Nurkic, he'll have a LOT of developing and strength training to do. He'll get pushed off his spot a lot, because he doesn't have a strong lower body. He'll get out-wrestled for position in the low blocks by monsters who know the techniques for using their upper bodies. Could he develop? Sure. But probably about the time he's due for an extension. If I'm wrong about him, I'll be the first one to say so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Goga Bitadze tweet

I hope for his sake that he does shoot like that. And for the Spurs' sake, if they draft him. But we used to love to watch Rasho shooting in pre-game warmups. He drained shots like Reggie Miller. Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration, but it wasn't uncommon to watch him drain 10-12 in a row. Then in the game he couldn't hit anything outside the restricted circle, even uncontested. I don't want to hate on Bitadze, really, but I'd like to see how he shoots with defenders on him.

In fairness, Rasho wasn't shooting from that far outside much in those warmups. And Bitadze looks more fluid than I remember seeing him look.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are Spurs fans okay with Goga at 19? More I watch, the more I'm impressed. He looks like a legit NBA player.

But soon Alridge will slow and be a center only. Poeltl is a center only. Milutinov is a center only. Can the Spurs afford to use 19 on another center only? I have mixed feelings but I think they can if he's far and away the best player left on their board.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are Spurs fans okay with Goga at 19? More I watch, the more I'm impressed. He looks like a legit NBA player.

But soon Alridge will slow and be a center only. Poeltl is a center only. Milutinov is a center only. Can the Spurs afford to use 19 on another center only? I have mixed feelings but I think they can if he's far and away the best player left on their board.
    I'm not convinced that we ever see Milutinov in a spurs uniform. I think we only have Aldridge 1 or 2 years at most. I'm not sure Goga is the guy at 19 but, if he is, I don't have a problem with him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope. The Spurs need forwards. Are we going to end up with no 3 and D again?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just am not sold on this guy but what do I know.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Im totally on the goga bandwagon, i think he will be a really good big in 2-3 years and he could play next year

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I am. Barring a major fall, if he's here at 19, he will be the best prospect on the board.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How is he guarding the pick and roll is my biggest question/concern. I’ve read conflicting reports on his quickness and since he didn’t go to the combine it’s kind of hard to judge this. Offensively he seems to be pretty good for how young he is and he isn’t a total stick figure which is also nice.

I read he is a decent defender at the rim and has good timing when going for blocks. If he can guard the pick and roll and has decent enough agility to close out solidly on 3 point shooters he is worth the 19th pick due to his age and so far reported skill set.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If SA could flip Poeltl and or Milu for a wing then absolutely

Thread Information