San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Goga Bitadze

Position: C
    Height: 6-foot-11
    Weight: 250
    Wingspan: 7-foot-2
    Draft Range: 14 to 30

Why: Has advanced post-up skills as a teenager. Very good touch in the paint. Jumper looks smooth; has range out to 15 feet and has a decent chance of becoming a legit thee-point shooter in the NBA. Overall, his potential as a scorer is intriguing. Also has potential as a passer. Plays physically and gets off the ground well, which translates into healthy rates of rebounds and blocks.

Why Not: Extremely slow feet ... so much so that there's definite bust potential. He'll have to become an expert tactician to overcome that flaw. And while he can jump reasonably high, he has no explosion -- it takes him a while to wind up and jump. Moody and not the greatest teammate -- will sulk for minutes on end.

Spurs Fit: He has advanced skills so probably ready pretty quickly. Could slide into a Gasol-like bench role. Couldn't play next to Poeltl.

Spurs Comparison - Ceiling: Pau Gasol

Spurs Comparison - Floor: Mengke Bateer

Stats
    Highlight Video
    Tankathon Profile
    The Stepien Profile

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “Floor - Mengke Bateer”

wouldnt be a bad flyer for the 29th (conditionally if we got our guy with the 19th) or for a second if he’s still there

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2018 gasol or 2007 Gasol?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That occurred to me also.

"Spurs Comparison -- Pao Gasol" might indicate 2017 Gasol. If so . . .

In any event, the opinions on this guy range as wide as anyone in the draft, from top 10 to mid-second round.

I tend to be skeptical but then you remember how unheralded Nikola Jokic was in 2014.

All said, I'd pass on him at 19.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rick Pitino the coach of Panathinaikos Greece said that this guy would be a steal in the first round and that he loved him. I don't know if Pitino has a good eye for talent but thats what he said. I saw him and Rick might be on to something here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Peak Spurs Gasol ... so 2016 Gasol?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually very high on him tbh. One of the players i'd be fine with at 19 and thrilled with at 29.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he could get to the level of Chicago Pau. Maybe even Memphis Pau. Some scouting reports say he's slow footed, others say he's mobile. I don't know what to make of this. He's also a great post defender and tough to back down. I'd take him, but not with the 19th pick

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could be wrong but from highlights I’ve seen of him, he kinda has an Enes Kanter type game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is no place really for a guy with slow feet. Unless you are Dirk/Jokic level of offensively talented I don’t see any reason to have a guy like that on the roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way he's available at 19 tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gaga for Goga

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's a shot at Goga arriving at the draft in an egg

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be ecstatic if available at 29, a bit disappointed at 19.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he's really so slow footed, hard pass.

Besides: wings, wings, wings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wish we land him with #19 but I doubt he falls, very talented big, reminds me of Wendell Carter Jr of last year draft...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “Floor - Mengke Bateer”

wouldnt be a bad flyer for the 29th (conditionally if we got our guy with the 19th) or for a second if he’s still there
    That's NBA champion Mengke Bateer to you.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Gasol was a rookie in '01-'02. Never mind 2007 - Bitadze isn't even on the same planet with a rookie Pau Gasol. Has to be talking about 2016 Pau Gasol. That would be okay if it was a 2016 Gasol with more energy because he's younger. But the couple of times I've seen him, he looked just about as sluggish as Gasol in 2016. And I'm sorry, but that Gasol knew how to play C in the NBA. Bitadze won't for a couple of years, at least.

If the Spurs are looking for C insurance, I think I'd rather see them pick up someone like Salah Mejri for cheap.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gasol was a rookie in '01-'02. Never mind 2007 - Bitadze isn't even on the same planet with a rookie Pau Gasol. Has to be talking about 2016 Pau Gasol. That would be okay if it was a 2016 Gasol with more energy because he's younger. But the couple of times I've seen him, he looked just about as sluggish as Gasol in 2016. And I'm sorry, but that Gasol knew how to play C in the NBA. Bitadze won't for a couple of years, at least.

If the Spurs are looking for C insurance, I think I'd rather see them pick up someone like Salah Mejri for cheap.
    You are full of .

Here is Pau's stats from his Euroleague/ACB combined season (before he got drafted) :
    https://www.basketball-reference.com...u-gasol-1.html
    Here's Goga's stats from his lone Euroleague season (before he got drafted) :
    https://www.basketball-reference.com...bitadze-1.html

Per 36 (both of the playing 23-25 MPG), Gasol takes pts, 18.8 to 18.4, FG% .572 to .548 , Steals 1.8 to 0.7, PF 2.9 to 5.5 & FGA 12.1 to 10.9. Goga takes rebounds 9.7 to 7.9, assists 1.8 to 1.1, blocks 3.5 to 1.5, TO 2.1 to 2.3 & FTA 8.2 to 6.7

They are in the same ball park. Goga is a year younger...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are full of .

Here is Pau's stats from his Euroleague/ACB combined season (before he got drafted)

Pau won Rookie of the Year. If Bitadze wins Rookie of the Year, come tell me "I told you so". Until then, you're just another Google-searching stat-hustler. You were probably in kindergarten when Pau was a rookie.

When it was announced that Pau was coming to the NBA, a couple of NBA bigs talked smack about how they were going to kick his ass in international compe ion that summer. (I think one of them was Shaq, IIRC.) Pau dominated - to the point they had to eat crow. I don't give a rat about your stats, and I'm not even going to bother looking. Bitadze isn't on the same planet with Rookie Pau Gasol. He just isn't. And none of your ranting is going to change that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pau won Rookie of the Year. If Bitadze wins Rookie of the Year, come tell me "I told you so". Until then, you're just another Google-searching stat-hustler. You were probably in kindergarten when Pau was a rookie.

When it was announced that Pau was coming to the NBA, a couple of NBA bigs talked smack about how they were going to kick his ass in international compe ion that summer. (I think one of them was Shaq, IIRC.) Pau dominated - to the point they had to eat crow. I don't give a rat about your stats, and I'm not even going to bother looking. Bitadze isn't on the same planet with Rookie Pau Gasol. He just isn't. And none of your ranting is going to change that.
    You're on goal post moving, I'll give you that...

Of course Bitadze isn't going to win ROY. Neither did AD nor Embid. The league is down on centers and has changed the rules to make big men's life more difficult.

Does he look to be a comparable prospect to Pau, when Pau came over? Yeah, he does

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does he look to be a comparable prospect to Pau, when Pau came over? Yeah, he does
    No, nooblet, he doesn't. If you watched both of them at this age, and I have, they aren't even on the same planet. Gasol was drafted number 3, and it was obvious to everyone that he was going to go in one of the top slots. We're talking seriously about Bitadze at 19 or lower. There's a reason for that difference. EVERYONE (except for you) could see that Gasol was exceptional, just like they can see that Bitadze is good but not great.

Gasol had tremendous agility. He could come out and hedge screens. Bitadze would get killed trying that, because he plods like a mule. He could score with his back to the basket or facing a defender, and he was a better than average roll man. That kind of agility and versatility is even more important in the NBA today, and that's not who Bitadze is. It would be good to have another big body to throw at teams like Denver, and I've said so. But comparing Bitadze to even a rookie Pau isn't going to fly.

BTW - I didn't move any ing goal post. Winning ROY is just one sign that Pau came into the league as a rookie ready to kick ass, and you're saying that Bitadze is comparable. He isn't. Tell you what... if Bitadze is even in the discussion for ROY, you can come back and say "I told you so."

Pau was obvious - Bitadze isn't. That should tell you everything you need to know, but I'm sure it won't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree that Gasol was a tremendous prospect and that Goga shouldn't be compared.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    to Goga

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, nooblet, he doesn't. If you watched both of them at this age, and I have, they aren't even on the same planet. Gasol was drafted number 3, and it was obvious to everyone that he was going to go in one of the top slots. We're talking seriously about Bitadze at 19 or lower. There's a reason for that difference. EVERYONE (except for you) could see that Gasol was exceptional, just like they can see that Bitadze is good but not great.

Gasol had tremendous agility. He could come out and hedge screens. Bitadze would get killed trying that, because he plods like a mule. He could score with his back to the basket or facing a defender, and he was a better than average roll man. That kind of agility and versatility is even more important in the NBA today, and that's not who Bitadze is. It would be good to have another big body to throw at teams like Denver, and I've said so. But comparing Bitadze to even a rookie Pau isn't going to fly.

BTW - I didn't move any ing goal post. Winning ROY is just one sign that Pau came into the league as a rookie ready to kick ass, and you're saying that Bitadze is comparable. He isn't. Tell you what... if Bitadze is even in the discussion for ROY, you can come back and say "I told you so."

Pau was obvious - Bitadze isn't. That should tell you everything you need to know, but I'm sure it won't.
    Are you an adult, or 13 year old pretending?

Do you really recall Pau's draft class? Here it is : http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock.../2001/all/all/
    This was when the NBA was dominated by bigs, not our current 3 pt shooting contest. Thus, the top 4 picks in that draft, were ALL centers. Pau was the 3ed C picked. But many people thought he was too weak/small (as you yourself noted, "NBA bigs talked smack about how they were going to kick his ass in international compe ion that summer."). It was not obvious he was a hall of famer, nor the best player (and thus obviously the best C) unless of course, your a 13 year old using hindsight...

If the league was still dominated by C's (to the point that the top 4 picks in the draft were C's, like 2001) which big men in this draft would go ahead of Goga?

As to he relative agility question, yes, Pau for the time was very agile for a big. As mentioned though, the league was very different. You think it's obvious Pau's a C? In the day, they were considering him as an SF, "his natural position is SF" https://www.nbadraft.net/players/pau-gasol . The league has CHANGED. Things have sped way up. Pau coming into this league, he would be projected as a 5, and people would be worrying about if he could handle being pulled out to 3 pt range. Back then, things were different - teams would give you the 3 on the pick and roll; they would fight through picks, rather than switch. The objective was to stop the drive to the basket, and you would let teams have the 3 off pick and rolls....

PS. Nooblet? Your join date is Feb 2019. Mine is Oct 2006. Are you so stupid that you can't do that bit of math? I would suggest pulling your head out of your anus and taking a look around every so often. Trust me, you're just nowhere near as smart as you think you are...

Thread Information