Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah this guy really isn't that impressive upon further inspection.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He got into INSEP, which he really needed to develop - but he got kicked out for disciplinary reasons.
    Yeah, I think this is a pretty big deal. I've never heard of any halfway decent prospect getting kicked out of INSEP. As far as character red flags go, that's up there.

And it's a shame too because INSEP has produced some players with genius level basketball IQ -- Parker and Diaw being two. (Those two and Horry might be have had the highest basketball IQs of any Spurs during the Pop era, tbh.)

Give Doumbouya even 20% of that basketball IQ and he's a top five pick. Instead he got kicked out.

Is that alone reason for the Spurs not to draft him? Maybe. Then again, they probably still have enough French connections to figure out exactly what happened . . .

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's closer to Livio than he is Giannis.
    He is totally different than Livio. The only thing is that they are french...

this guy is all about upside, he could be really good. He has the physical tools and playing on french league for two years at his age is not easy.

What i saw in him is that nobody could say he will be bad, all will depend on his developement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems that he's similar prospect to Nasir Little just 2-3 inches bigger...

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is that alone reason for the Spurs not to draft him? Maybe. Then again, they probably still have enough French connections to figure out exactly what happened . . .

That right there. That's one of the big reasons why relationships matter so much. And why a good scout is worth a lot. Besides, the kid was what, 16-17? I don't know about the rest of you, but I did some pretty stupid things at 16 - and you see what a fine, well-adjusted person I turned out to be.

The admittedly little bit I've seen of him didn't impress me as much as it has a lot of people. And for some reason I can't help remembering all the hype surrounding Bismack Biyombo when he entered the draft. This ain't that, so maybe he's the real deal and I just can't see it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I think this is a pretty big deal. I've never heard of any halfway decent prospect getting kicked out of INSEP. As far as character red flags go, that's up there.

And it's a shame too because INSEP has produced some players with genius level basketball IQ -- Parker and Diaw being two. (Those two and Horry might be have had the highest basketball IQs of any Spurs during the Pop era, tbh.)

Give Doumbouya even 20% of that basketball IQ and he's a top five pick. Instead he got kicked out.

I think there is some misunderstanding about his case.

He was kicking out of insep at 15, not for some big issues but for some behavior at school( French basketball president said that). Not with his coaches or teammates.

And again he was 15, since then you don’t have a story with doumbouya and I tell you that from France.

People need to to understand that he played at a high level at 16, if he reach his potential he could be really good but that’s the debate for me: his ceiling.

I don’t know but he has the body, the tools, that will probably take 2-3 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sometimes young men’s decisions and reputations are products of their influencers(think Kawhi and the Ball brothers). Not sure if Pop is ready to fight another one of these potential battles though, regardless of the root.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah this guy really isn't that impressive upon further inspection.
    :

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's his floor!! Do it RC. Now if only we can find a James White! clone.

I was looking at some stats from the combine, and remembered your comment. I remembered that White was a of an athlete, but I didn't remember that he had one of the highest vertical leaps in NBA history. He tie with four other guys (including Jordan) at 46", second only to Wilt and Darrell Griffeth at 48".

There's an example of a guy with all the athleticism that people want on the Spurs, but without the head. Still, he might play in "today's NBA".

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just made his career high in French league : 34 points (5/7 at 3pt) with 9 rebounds.

Imo he could be the spurs target more than rui or others but will probably be gone before our pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not everyone can be gone before the Spurs pick. I'm pretty confident that the consensus top 3 will be gone, but no one else would surprise me if they were there. Just too many guys in the same tier. Even if all of the forwards are gone by 19, the guards and centers who are left will be way better than you'd normally get in the bottom half of the first.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I totally agree someone good Will probably fall to us That's why i don't want to package both picks to move up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I totally agree someone good Will probably fall to us That's why i don't want to package both picks to move up
    I only want to move up if there is someone the Spurs love. They usually don’t miss if they get into the lottery or near it; so they have earned my trust. I would rather have 1 guy they really love vs 2 guys they like.

Beyond that, I am more hoping for a trade of a guard or two so we can truly see minutes open up.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I'm fine with moving up. I don't see the Spurs' taking on another two development rookies if they're still trying to bring along Metu.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I only want to move up if there is someone the Spurs love. They usually don’t miss if they get into the lottery or near it; so they have earned my trust.
    Pop and RC have moved up in the first round only once in their 25 years: Kawhi Leonard. It's safe to say they don't make that decision lightly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm fine with moving up. I don't see the Spurs' taking on another two development rookies if they're still trying to bring along Metu.
    Serious question, you think Metu factors into the future? I had high hopes at the beginning of last season but the guy did not seem to progress even in Austin. You actually watch the games up there sometimes, do you see something?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Serious question, you think Metu factors into the future? I had high hopes at the beginning of last season but the guy did not seem to progress even in Austin. You actually watch the games up there sometimes, do you see something?
    Yeah, he looks like he should be able to develop to do a little bit of everything in the NBA but currently doesn't look like he can do anything consistently. May just be in the overwhelmed stage a lot of Spurs rookies go through -- Walker was really in the same boat much of the season. I think right now he has decent athleticism and handles which would be his strengths in the NBA but his shooting has got to improve for him to be able to stay on the court with any other big man. I'm sure they saw him as a two year project so I'm still penciling him in on the roster unless he shows absolutely nothing in SL and training camp.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Look at the way the game is being played right now, especially by the better playoff teams, and picks/screens are everything. Okay, not everything - obviously shooters. But without agile screeners, these NBA offenses would go to pretty quickly. Metu was one of the top PnR bigs in the country at USC. He doesn't have the size to be a banger in the middle, but he does have the physical attribute to be a finesse/agile big in the "new NBA". But the learning curve for that is usually 2-3 years, especially for someone drafted at 49.

It's way too early to write him off. He's got to improve his shot, for sure, and he didn't play with a lot of confidence. But his college stats and his first year in the NBA aren't too different from a guy like Marcus Morris. I still think he could become a solid role player. And the role he would play is valuable in today's game. I don't think the Spurs are going to give up on him this year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember Sean Elliott talking about how crazy some teams write off their first round draft picks so fast. He was like if you draft a guy who has only played one or two years of college it’s going to take probably 3 years before you know what you really have.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I only want to move up if there is someone the Spurs love. They usually don’t miss if they get into the lottery or near it; so they have earned my trust. I would rather have 1 guy they really love vs 2 guys they like.

Beyond that, I am more hoping for a trade of a guard or two so we can truly see minutes open up.

Exactly. Considering they now have depth of youth, the goal should be attempting to fill the obvious, glaring need on the wing. It's likely the only real chance to do that is to move up.

Little most closely resembles the rough outline of the type they need and he seems a personality fit too. I would guess 15 is his floor. The Celtics pick 14th and prioritize long, athletic, projectable 3 and D wings and if they end up trading for Davis, will have to surrender at least one of Tatum or Brown, in addition to Smart. Meanwhile, the Pistons pick 15th and don't have a single big wing.

Pop and RC have moved up in the first round only once in their 25 years: Kawhi Leonard. It's safe to say they don't make that decision lightly.
    Yeah, but that's probably mostly due to their lacking the ammunition. That's no longer a problem and that along with what I alluded to up above, the imbalanced roster and this supposedly being a weak draft (with no obvious pick projected at 19), means the timing is right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For sure; was more of a comment made with regards to if SA moves up you have to think they LOVE the player which gives me Uber confidence in said player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hasheem Thabeet v.2.0

Veteran
    My Team