Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Oh SFS, one other thing I found strange:
    Everyone claiming they dont know how they could get an explosion to begin with.

You got lots of water separated in different volumes. You got lots of heat. You got enclosed spaces... Boom. Always possible. Just say "how did the water become steam so quickly as to blow things up."

Now explaining how the water overheated in enclosed spaces, ok, but cmon...

I thought they should have explained this as much as they did some of the other "science" stuff. They did not go much into what different types of ionizing radiation does to particular cells, how far it penetrates, reacts with diff molecules, etc.. (I would like more of this) But the artists go to do their thing (not disinterest everyone like I would... make that, I have)
    The question was not about any explosion but the explosion of the core itself after they had pressed the kill button. I thought they did a good job explaining it in Episode 5 in a way that wasn't too difficult to understand. Or at least to accept.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    https://www.economist.com/graphic-de...tv-series-ever

“Chernobyl” is the highest-rated TV series ever
    HBO’s show rates higher on IMDb than other historical dramas and even “Breaking Bad”

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The question was not about any explosion but the explosion of the core itself after they had pressed the kill button. I thought they did a good job explaining it in Episode 5 in a way that wasn't too difficult to understand. Or at least to accept.
    I think the dramatization of the trial did a great job.

Jared Harris is a good actor.

He is also, by the way, in the Expanse, the sci fi series I recommended, and is one of the interesting characters there. Not quite a full bad guy, not quite a saint, in the way that well-written complex charactors are.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I think the dramatization of the trial did a great job.

Jared Harris is a good actor.

He is also, by the way, in the Expanse, the sci fi series I recommended, and is one of the interesting characters there. Not quite a full bad guy, not quite a saint, in the way that well-written complex charactors are.
    Wow about highest rated series ever.

I though all the actors were amazing. Harris at the top of the list. And Skarsgard. I think I'm going to finally dig in to GOT. Then probably Season 5 of Luther which should be done by then. And then the Expanse.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    https://www.economist.com/graphic-de...tv-series-ever

“Chernobyl” is the highest-rated TV series ever
    HBO’s show rates higher on IMDb than other historical dramas and even “Breaking Bad”
    So they're weighing 5 episodes against 50 and such? Shocker it would rate higher.

, Breaking Bad didn't even hit their peak until probably mid season 3.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Episode 5...?

Well ya know what.
    I probably need to watch it.

I got carried away reading about how much is still not clear and what it’s like today.
    NPR did a whole segment on how areas outside of the exclusion zone that are not inhabited by people.
    These areas are doing quite well ecologically. Even with the chances of higher mutation rates.

I need to down load the podcasts. I’m kinda of semi done with the series, it got me interested a bunch of stuff I did not know about.

We just got HBO. I’m gonna leave the Throne stuff for when I have time. Kinda worried.
    I had to contro myself on Breaking Bad to no more than 2 at a time. Don’t like addictive stuff.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Episode 5...?

Well ya know what.
    I probably need to watch it.

I got carried away reading about how much is still not clear and what it’s like today.
    NPR did a whole segment on how areas outside of the exclusion zone that are not inhabited by people.
    These areas are doing quite well ecologically. Even with the chances of higher mutation rates.

I need to down load the podcasts. I’m kinda of semi done with the series, it got me interested a bunch of stuff I did not know about.

We just got HBO. I’m gonna leave the Throne stuff for when I have time. Kinda worried.
    I had to contro myself on Breaking Bad to no more than 2 at a time. Don’t like addictive stuff.
    LOL. Are you saying you thought it was done at 4?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The article below has a link to a fascinating twitter thread by a woman who lived in the USSR at the time. Her step father actually was one of the soliders who was deployed there. Worth reading, as apparently the show's creator was a fanatic about realism, something I picked up watching it. I didn't understand how accurate it was until reading her thread. wow.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/k...ore-the-finale

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The article below has a link to a fascinating twitter thread by a woman who lived in the USSR at the time. Her step father actually was one of the soliders who was deployed there. Worth reading, as apparently the show's creator was a fanatic about realism, something I picked up watching it. I didn't understand how accurate it was until reading her thread. wow.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/k...ore-the-finale
    I’ll check that out.

From the podcasts, which are all basically interviews with the writer, it seemed above everything else, he wanted to convey the truth as much as possible and took very little dramatic liberties.

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Good series. First and last episodes were great. HBO just does TV right, heh.

That trial explanation of how the explosion happened was great.
    Also--seems the GoT meme-making crowd transitioned to Chernobyl as well. Very odd to see such a show heavily memed

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    I look forward to Russia's version, where they finally tell us the real story. People will never understand irony.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Yep.

And the first two are definitely better than the last two.
    Minus the one I missed.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Good stuff about Russians thriving in misery but still ready to die for the old country.

Life’s a and we go down with this big rotten ship because, it’s our big rotten ship.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Episode 5 was very good. Trial was great.
    Great series SF6

The background music/sound was incredibly appropriate throughout as well.
    Now to listen to the podcasts on the 5th episode.
    Legasov described the runaway because of the graphite ends of the control rods as a nuclear bomb, it’s nothing like that. Gonna have to find out why that was put in.

Tremendous watch, thanks.

The whole theme about lies... how apropos for our times right now.

Thread Information