Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He apparently underwhelmed in the 5 on 5 . . .
    He shot poorly but he had 4 steals, 3 blocks, and 4 assists. His coach during scrimmage (Kendrick Perkins) said his leadership stood out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He shot poorly but he had 4 steals, 3 blocks, and 4 assists. His coach during scrimmage (Kendrick Perkins) said his leadership stood out.
    Perhaps the better Spurs comparison would be Kyle Anderson . . .

tangina ka, though FireMicoHalili's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    6'7 PF with a 6'11 wingspan. Nope

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are 4 main attributes, the tangibles:

Fast, Tall, Strong, Shoots 3s.

You want at least 2 of these, and strength is less important than the others.

This guy is just strong and nothing else.

Cant spend a #19 on a short guy who doesn't defend the perimeter and also doesn't attack the perimeter.

You can barely afford to pay anyone short for their position at all. They better have all the other attributes. This guy doesnt.

We have enough short, slow guys that cant defend 3s or shoot them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    6'7 PF with a 6'11 wingspan. Nope
    Paul George is 6'8" and has a 6'11" wingspan

I think 6'7" with 6'11" wingspan is the bare minimum we need if we want a solid defender at the SF spot. That is the size most decent defenders have against small forwards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think 6'7" with 6'11" wingspan is the bare minimum we need if we want a solid defender at the SF spot. That is the size most decent defenders have against small forwards.
    PG is/was an excellent athlete who could defend on the perimeter, Williams can't.

If we want length and size, Roby is 6'8 with a 7'2 wingspan, good athlete and can play both forward spots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PG is/was an excellent athlete who could defend on the perimeter, Williams can't.

If we want length and size, Roby is 6'8 with a 7'2 wingspan, good athlete and can play both forward spots.
    I wasnt describing Grant with my post. And I agree with you about Roby. After doing more research, i wouldnt be disappointed if we dont draft Grant. Ill be really happy if we get Roby. But I think Roby will be drafted at 28 by the Warriors.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with last comments but he also bring a lot of other things like passing, a good IQ.

but I will not take him at 19, could be a nice pick at 29.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, as a huge Tennessee fan I feel like I probably know the guys game better than anyone on here. He is incredibly basketball smart and knows his game and what his role will be. He’ll never be a dead eye shooter but he’ll knock them down at a high enough rate to keep defenses honest. His post game will 100% translate to the NBA assuming he’s matched up appropriately, but he’ll know when he should and shouldn’t utilize it (his spin move is rivaled by nine and he’s LETHAL from the elbow. His passing is also a pretty underrated part of his game.
    Defense is where he’ll earn spots on teams. He’s excellent at going straight up to contest at the rim and he’s a really impressive shot blocker at his size. Like I mentioned before, he didn’t get to be as aggressive as he’d like because he couldn’t risk foul trouble because he had to stay on the floor. His vertical numbers were very shocking to me. He looks to be one of those guys that plays more athletic than he tests if that makes sense. The guy will be a huge asset to whatever team he lands on and I hope he ends up in San Antonio.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Per latest article by the Athletic,he has a workout scheduled with the Spurs soon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So far, I'd be fine with him at 29. Happy, even. But a guy who is shorter, stubbier and less athletic than Matt Bonner would be a tough swallow at 19, IMO.

But I'll watch more tape on him soon to see if I can change my mind

tangina ka, though FireMicoHalili's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Williams is a power forward by default who doesn't have the handles of a small forward. If you're 6'7 and you're a power forward you better have great handles or an absurd wingspan. Even Blair had to have a 7'3" wingspan just to crack it in the league. Williams might be worth the 49th pick but definitely not one of the team's two first round picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Finished watching him during the combine scrimmages ... and I wasn't impressed. Overall, he was 0-for-9 on threes and it looks like his stroke will struggle to translate to the NBA three-point line. Also didn't finish well at the rim.

Still wouldn't mind him at 29. At 19? Eh, I don't know if I can get behind it when his ceiling might be somewhere between Fattest Diaw and Jared Dudley.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Finished watching him during the combine scrimmages ... and I wasn't impressed. Overall, he was 0-for-9 on threes and it looks like his stroke will struggle to translate to the NBA three-point line. Also didn't finish well at the rim.

Still wouldn't mind him at 29. At 19? Eh, I don't know if I can get behind it when his ceiling might be somewhere between Fattest Diaw and Jared Dudley.
    I watched this too. I was unimpressed by him not chasing the players on the perimeter. Seemed like he gave up chasing when they got around picks. Thats not going to fly under Pop. Maybe he wasnt trying as hard. We will see. Like I said, ive softened my stance with Grant. If we are looking at small forwards, I say Roby and Samanic are good choices. If we pick Grant, the Spurs must have faith to turn him into a small forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Id also like to note that i have more of a problem with his defense than him missing 3 pt shots. I think the 3 pt shot can improve easily. They just go in or they dont. Defense is effort though. And it was lacking during his scrimmage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d still be fine taking him at 29, his combine scrimmage wasn’t good but honestly it shows his character that he played in it, Most guys don’t even compete in the scrimmage

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://twitter.com/JabariJYoung/sta...41481620197376

Saw Perk (Kendrick Perkins) walking down a hall in Chicago, so I stopped & asked about Tennessee’s Grant Williams. His first words: “Grant Williams is a beast,” he said. #Spurs know it too.. which is why he’ll be in SA soon for a workout.

Will have a workout with the spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Williams ended up leading the combine in bench press. But the fact that his body fat is so low and he's already a beast in the weight room yet still can't jump at all might make it even more worrisome. He's not like a Draymond Green who could unveil another level of athleticism after losing a couple layers of baby fat. This guy is in great shape but still can't jump ... and that's a bad mix when he's also short and stubby.

I'm failing to convince myself that he's someone who should be picked at 19.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Williams ended up leading the combine in bench press. But the fact that his body fat is so low and he's already a beast in the weight room yet still can't jump at all might make it even more worrisome. He's not like a Draymond Green who could unveil another level of athleticism after losing a couple layers of baby fat. This guy is in great shape but still can't jump ... and that's a bad mix when he's also short and stubby.

I'm failing to convince myself that he's someone who should be picked at 19.
    In the same boat. Maybe he will be there at the 29th. I just think he has immense value culture wise. He could transform chemistry among this team into a much closer knit group. If the Spurs do pick him at 19th, you gotta believe they see something special there. They have made great picks the last few years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Footage of Grants hops I haven’t seen in other videos:

https://youtu.be/2QX56au_cQ4

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.rockytoptalk.com/2019/5/...see-basketball

New article on GWill

Spurs love prospects who trend up year after year like Derrick White

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In depth scouting report on GWill. Probably the most well written scouting report I’ve seen:

https://www.redteamscouting.com/grant-williams

My Girl's a Hooper keithington1's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only way he'll work on the spurs roster is if he starts at pf. Unless he plays center of the bench with Rudy. Too many guard who need minutes. I'm liking Horton Tucker/ Keldon Johnson for 19.
    Last edited by keithington1; 05-25-2019 at 01:47 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information