Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shocker: Trump and Barr refuse to defend ban on female genital mutilation

New low for the Trump administration: The Justice Department won't defend a federal ban on the mutilation of girls

Generally speaking, FGM is the medieval practice of restraining young girls and

removing their external female genitals, without anesthesia or antiseptics. Most often the clitoris of young girls is carved out,

it’s a horror show carried out for archaic community, familial, cultural or religious justifications (not exclusively one or the other).

In the United States, half a million girls are at risk for this form of torture

Donald Trump and Bill Barr are refusing to defend the ban in court?

Qs though the cruel whimsy of the Trump administration hasn’t been disgusting enough, add this to your the list of the Mad King’s most gruesome decisions.

To repeat:

The Trump administration is refusing to defend the national ban on torturing young girls in the most awful and breathtakingly indefensible way imaginable,

depriving innocent victims from enjoying relatively normal lives, depriving them of sexual pleasure, and depriving them of the ability to become pregnant, while sentencing them to lives of pain, despair and psychological torment.

https://www.salon.com/2019/05/14/shocker-trump-and-barr-refuse-to-defend-ban-on-female-genital-mutilation/

My guess is the white male supremacist Christian Taliban are behind this.

The FGM victims are non-male, non-white, non-Christian, so let their bodies be mutilated. Christ would be pleased.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    May 12 - 19 is National Woman's Week

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never understood repugs who claim to be pro life but anti healthcare and government assistance to support these children they're forcing families to keep.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is someone actually suing to overturn it? If not, there is no reason to "defend" it and this is just more Boutons hyperbole.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never understood repugs who claim to be pro life but anti healthcare and government assistance to support these children they're forcing families to keep.
    not pro-life, only pro-birth, and only as a divisive, campaign issue, like immigration.

the pro-birth campaign is aimed at poor, non-white women who can't afford an abortion or peri-natal care, while white women can always get an abortion even after the Repugs make abortion illegal.

GA now makes abortion punishable by life imprisonment or death, even for 11 year old girls.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looked it up.

The first federal charges of female genital mutilation have been dismissed by a federal judge, whose ruling also declared the U.S. law banning the practice uncons utional.

In his 28-page decision, U.S. District Judge Bernard Friedman said Congress “overstepped its bounds” in prohibiting the practice in 1996, adding that FGM is a “’local criminal activity’ which, in keeping with long-standing tradition and our federal system of government, is for the states to regulate, not Congress.”

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FGM should be considered torture, which is Federally prohibited, unless you are a Repug judge, or Trash/Barr/Christian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tortur...arding_torture

https://www.theahafoundation.org/fem...tion-by-state/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the "undue burden" of $100s or $1000s now placed on abortion women

Supreme Court upholds Indiana fetal burial law, spurns abortion measure

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-court-abortion/supreme-court-upholds-indiana-fetal-burial-law-spurns-abortion-measure-idUSKCN1SY1I5?feedType=RSS&feedName=healthNews&utm _source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Fe ed%3A+reuters%2FhealthNews+%28Reuters+Health+News% 29

The funeral industry, aka The Business of Dying, is rejoicing

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clarence Thomas Invokes Eugenics More Than 60 Times In Tuesday’s Opinion

despite the court’s decision not to address the overarching issue of abortion,

Justice Clarence Thomas seized the opportunity to pen a 20-page concurrence making clear that the court’s decision not to overturn the lower court’s decision “should not be interpreted as agreement,”

before deriding both abortion and birth control as tools of
    eugenics.

In fact, Thomas invoked the term “eugenics” at least 60 times in this concurrence (this author did a search, and the word appears 117 times but appears about half were citations).

A few passages summarizing Thomas’ views on eugenics and abortion/birth control are particularly noteworthy.

First, Thomas correlates the tragic emergence of the eugenics movement in America with the pro-choice movement, writing:

“Put differently, this law and other laws like it promote a State’s compelling interest in preventing abortion from becoming a tool of modern-day eugenics.

The use of abortion to achieve eugenic goals is not merely hypothetical.

The foundations for legalizing abortion in America were laid during the early 20th-century birth-control movement.

That movement developed alongside the American eugenics movement…

Given the potential for abortion to become a tool of eugenic manipulation, the Court will soon need to confront the cons utionality of laws like Indiana’s.”

Thomas then goes on to connect the beliefs of Margaret Sanger, one of Planned Parenthood’s founders, as foundational to all birth control usage, writing:

“Planned Parenthood founder Margaret Sanger recognized the eugenic potential of her cause.

She emphasized and embraced the notion that birth control “opens the way to the eugenist.”

As a means of reducing the “ever increasing, unceasingly spawning class of human beings who never should have been born at all,”

Sanger argued that “Birth Control . . . is really the greatest and most truly eugenic method” of “human generation.”

In her view, birth control had been “accepted by the most clear thinking and far seeing of the Eugenists themselves as the most constructive and necessary of the means to racial health.”

Finally,

Thomas claims that abortion is already being wielded for eugenic purposes in America.

He highlights the disproportionately high rate of abortion in African American communities, which Thomas believes,

“suggest that, insofar as abortion is viewed as a method of ‘family planning,’ black people do indeed ‘tak[e] the brunt of the “planning.”‘”

As previously reported by Law&Crime, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg penned a dissent voicing her
    displeasure with Thomas’ concurrence.

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/clarence-thomas-invokes-eugenics-more-than-60-times-in-tuesdays-opinion/

god ing damn, the quality of Repug judges is in the ing sewer

yes, of course, today's Planned Parent practices eugenics, god ing dammit

60% of the USA abortions are white people

Yes, blacks abort at a higher rate, but maybe that's due to Repugs and their hate-driven evangelical Christian Taliban reducing or killing poor (black) women's perinatal care, cancer/STD screening, free contraceptives, sex education, and generally HOLE schools.

sexual predator Uncle Thomas, as a white supremacist married to a white woman, should be happy with black abortions, so "Blacks Will Not Replace Us"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boots is a perfect argument for post-birth abortion.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Justices Ginsburg and Thomas Duel in Footnotes as Supreme Court Upholds Fetal Burial Law

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s short dissent followed simple, straight-forward logic.

Instead of just ruling that the Seventh Circuit had made an error,

the Court should have applied the
    correct legal standard and conducted the appropriate analysis.

That way, the right outcome – a ruling that the Indiana law was overly burdensome – would emerge, regardless of any errors in lawyering made at the lower court level.

RBG wrote that it was a waste of time to review a case only to sidestep the actual issue at hand on grounds that the parties hadn’t raised the corresponding arguments.

Ginsburg explained that the financial and emotional cost of requiring a woman recovering from an abortion to comply with the state’s burial requirements may very well cons ute too high a burden to be legal.

Justice Ginsburg’s footnote:

JUSTICE THOMAS’ footnote, ante, at 1, n. 1, displays more heat than light.

The note overlooks many things:

This Court reviews judgments, not statements in opinions,”

California v. Rooney, 483 U. S. 307, 311 (1987) (per curiam) (quoting Black v. Cutter Laboratories, 351 U. S. 292, 297 (1956); emphasis added);

a woman who exercises her cons utionally protected right to terminate a pregnancy is not a “mother”;

the cost of, and trauma potentially induced by, a post-procedure require- ment may well cons ute an undue burden,

917 F. 3d, at 534–535 (opinion of Wood, C. J.);

under the rational-basis standard applied below,

Planned Parenthood of Indiana and Kentucky had no need to marshal evidence that Indiana’s law posed an undue burden, id., at 535.

https://lawandcrime.com/supreme-cour...al-burial-law/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looked it up.

The first federal charges of female genital mutilation have been dismissed by a federal judge, whose ruling also declared the U.S. law banning the practice uncons utional.

In his 28-page decision, U.S. District Judge Bernard Friedman said Congress “overstepped its bounds” in prohibiting the practice in 1996, adding that FGM is a “’local criminal activity’ which, in keeping with long-standing tradition and our federal system of government, is for the states to regulate, not Congress.”
    It takes the amoral politicians until the year 2019 to get the damn thing passed. Smh.

Oh boy, what will be the penalty now. Firm slap on wrist?
    Bring in FGM freaks and their defense liarwyers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    U.S. District Judge Bernard Friedman said Congress “overstepped its bounds” in prohibiting the practice in 1996, adding that FGM is a “’local criminal activity’ which, in keeping with long-standing tradition and our federal system of government, is for the states to regulate, not Congress.”
    Wasn't this jackass in on some other heinous decision a while back?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maddow exclusive: Missouri Republicans now forcing ‘state-sanctioned sexual assault’ for every woman seeking an abortion

The crackdown on a woman’s right to choose being waged by Republicans in Missouri has escalated to the point of

forced pelvic examinations

every woman seeking a legal abortion in the state of Missouri is being subjected to a

mandatory, medically unnecessary, pelvic examination by order of the state government,”

“Only now, before they let you go from that first appointment, you must, by order of the state,

take off your clothes and submit to an intrusive vaginal inspection that you do not need and your doctor does not want to give you.

One doctor described it as “state-sanctioned sexual assault.”

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/06/maddow-exclusive-missouri-republicans-now-forcing-state-sanctioned-sexual-assault-for-every-woman-seeking-an-abortion/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With brutal abortion bill poised to take effect, a reminder:

In Alabama, rapists can sue for custody

If Alabama’s abortion ban goes into effect, women who’ve become pregnant as a result of rape or incest will be forced to remain pregnant.

And once they have children, their
    rapists can pursue custody under state law.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/1863822

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Support for legal abortion hits highest point since mid-'90s

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/1870790

With AmeriKKKa ruled by Christian Taliban hate-driven minority, their very own (Catholic) SCOTUS5 will very probably overturn R v. W, and maybe leave "baby murder" to the discretion of the states, as with partisan gerrymandering.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stanford Study: Foreign Policy To Restrict Abortion Funding Results In More Abortions

A U.S. foreign policy that cuts money to nongovernmental organizations performing or promoting abortions abroad has actually led to an increase in abortions

abortions increased among women in African countries where NGOs, such as the International Planned Parenthood Federation, were particularly vulnerable to the policy’s requirements.

the Mexico City Policy,

explicitly prohibits U.S. foreign aid from flowing to any NGO that does not agree to abide by the policy’s main condition:

no performing or discussing abortion as a method of family planning, even if just in the form of education or counseling.

When the policy was suspended during Obama’s two terms, the Stanford researchers found that the

upward trend in abortion rates reversed.

“Our research suggests that a policy that is supported by taxpayers ostensibly

wishing to drive down abortion rates worldwide does the opposite,”

https://scienceblog.com/508867/stanford-study-foreign-policy-to-restrict-abortion-funding-results-in-more-abortions/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campai gn=Feed%3A+scienceblogrssfeed+%28ScienceBlog.com%2 9

Simplistic, fantasy-driven Repugs up everything they touch

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Telemedicine Abortion Is Safe, No Matter What Anti-Choice Lawmakers Claim

Medication abortion provided via telemedicine has the same health outcomes as medication abortions provided at a clinic, according to new research.

https://rewire.news/article/2019/07/23/telemedicine-abortion-is-safe-no-matter-what-anti-choice-lawmakers-claim/

How will the Christian Taliban attempt to stop it?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Christian Taliblan will not be denied, have polluted HHS, will force the ethics and morals where it's not wanted.

Freedom From Religion!

HHS Awards Nearly $1.5 Million in Teen Pregnancy Prevention Funding to Anti-Choice Organizations

Two of the organizations receiving federal teen pregnancy prevention funding

promote medication abortion reversal,

which the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists considers "unproven and unethical.”

https://rewire.news/article/2019/07/...organizations/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Total Abortion Bans Are Overwhelmingly Unpopular in Every State

Even in states most hostile to reproductive rights, less than one quarter of respondents favor a total ban on abortion.

Public backing of draconian abortion restrictions remains low, with no state having more than 23 percent support for a total ban,

the overall result—58 percent support abortion being legal in all or most cir stances—mirrors the split
    reported by pollsters for decades,

even in states most hostile to abortion rights,
    less than one-quarter of respondents in favor a total ban.

even states often thought of as conservative include significant numbers of people who are least able to travel long distances or comply with onerous and medically unnecessary requirements like forced waiting periods.

https://rewire.news/article/2019/08/13/total-abortion-bans-are-overwhelmingly-unpopular-in-every-state/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boom! Lawyered: Trump Judge Approves Manslaughter Charges for Pregnancy Loss

Recently, the ultra-conservative 8th Circuit Court of Appeals reinstated

an involuntary manslaughter charge against a Native woman from Sisseton, South Dakota.

That charge is based on allegations that she ingested illegal drugs while pregnant, resulting in the death of her newborn.

this decision is an alarming escalation of the anti-choice efforts to establish fetal personhood and punish people for their pregnancy outcomes.

https://rewire.news/multimedia/podcast/trump-judge-approves-manslaughter-charges-for-pregnancy-loss/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GOP-appointed judge blocks North Dakota law that forces doctors to lie that abortions can be ‘reversed’

On Tuesday, a federal judge in North Dakota temporarily blocked a GOP-sponsored abortion “counseling” law that forces doctors to lie to their patients.

Judge Daniel Hovland, an appointee of President George W. Bush and the Chief Judge for the District of North Dakota, declared that the law is likely uncons utional and will not survive scrutiny by a higher court.

The law would have mandated that doctors tell patients, among other things, that abortions can be “reversed” halfway through if a woman changes her mind.

“Legislation ... is unsound, misplaced, and would not survive a cons utional challenge under any level of scrutiny,” wrote Hovland.

Anti-abortion activists have pushed the idea that women on this regimen can “reverse” the abortion by skipping the misoprostol and instead taking a gigantic dose of progesterone.

There is no medical research whatsoever to support the idea that this is effective or safe — and in any case,

contrary to the entire premise that there is an epidemic of women regretting their abortions and wanting to undo them, studies have shown that

95 percent of women who have abortions are confident in their decision.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/09/gop...e+Raw+Story%29

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boots is a perfect argument for post-birth abortion.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas Law Requires Patients to Bury or Cremate Fetal Tissue. Now, the Fifth Circuit Is Weighing In.

The Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals will hear arguments Thursday in yet another abortion rights case.

This time, it involves a challenge to a Texas law requiring the burial or cremation of fetal and embryonic tissue from most failed pregnancies.

Anti-abortion advocates hope they can get the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals to help advance fetal "personhood."

Texas’ law actually reaches further, by including embryonic remains. But that May decision may be just the opening the Fifth Circuit needs.

Fetal and embryonic burial requirements like the ones at issue in Texas became very popular among anti-choice activists and lawmakers following the release in 2017 of

a series of heavily edited videos by the advocacy organization Center for Medical Progress (CMP).

The videos falsely purported to show Planned Parenthood staff members illegally selling fetal tissue.

CMP’s founder David Daleiden is currently on trial for 15 counts of felony invasion of privacy related to his role in producing, filming, and distributing the videos.

, in addition to

Texas and Indiana, states like
    Arkansas,
    Louisiana, and
    North Carolina

all passed measures requiring fetal and embryonic remains to be buried or cremated—

treated, in other words, the same way as the remains of born children.

The intent of these laws is crystal clear:

to help advance fetal “personhood” across the the country, even incrementally, as a way to recriminalize abortion.

https://rewire.news/article/2019/09/...s-weighing-in/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As Republican Legislators Seek to Ban Abortion,

Voters in Every Single State Reject That Change

A survey released today by the Public Religion Research Ins ute asked more than 40,000 Americans what they think about abortion in telephone interviews, including cellphone interviews.

The majority,

54 percent, believe that abortion should be legal in most or all cases,

while 40 percent of Americans think abortion should be illegal in most or all cases.

By polling so many people (between 20 and 40 times the usual number of respondents in a national poll), the PRRI was

able to get data for every single state,

and in none of them do more than a quarter of respondents think that abortion should be illegal in all cases.

The outright abortion bans enacted and temporarily stayed

in Alabama and Missouri, and currently under consideration in Tennessee,

are
    completely at odds with public sentiment in those states.

Since 2014, when PRRI conducted a similar survey,

opinions on abortion have remained steady with 55 percent of Americans believing abortion should be legal in most or all cases.

https://prospect.org/article/republi...-reject-change

So the tiny minority of Christian Taliban extremist are getting politicians (and judges) to impose their ethics, morals on the majority.

Minority Religious Rule is Freedom!

Thread Information