Post Count

My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Blazers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What else are they supposed to do? He's a legitimate Top 10 or Top 15 guy and extremely loyal to Portland. They're never winning it all but its probably better than the alternative, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What options do they have?

The cap is similar for every team but talent is scarce

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're never winning it all but its probably better than the alternative, tbh.
    Precisely why you dont throw that kind of money on a single player.

If you know that even with him your team won't get anywhere, isn't it a better idea to get 2-3 decent players for the same price?

The only winner here is Lollard for sure.

Spurs Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's obscene.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What else are they supposed to do? He's a legitimate Top 10 or Top 15 guy and extremely loyal to Portland. They're never winning it all but its probably better than the alternative, tbh.

yup

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count

People said this about John Wall, and then it turned out that the Wizards would have been better off letting him walk after all. The Clippers would be a hopeless mess right now if CP0 signed the supermax instead of demanding a trade.

The supermax is only worth it if the player in question has already won rings by the time they can sign for it. Short of that, it's a franchise-crippling disaster. Honestly, if the Blazers can't convince Lillard to take less, they may very well be better off in the long run by trying to convince him to pull a CP0 instead.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People said this about John Wall, and then it turned out that the Wizards would have been better off letting him walk after all. The Clippers would be a hopeless mess right now if CP0 signed the supermax instead of demanding a trade.

The supermax is only worth it if the player in question has already won rings by the time they can sign for it. Short of that, it's a franchise-crippling disaster. Honestly, if the Blazers can't convince Lillard to take less, they may very well be better off in the long run by trying to convince him to pull a CP0 instead.
    The difference is, the Clippers are located in L.A., which means as long as they have their together (which they now do), they can be a player in free agency for the true superstars. Most markets can't say the same.

Of course the Trail Blazers are never winning a championship with Lillard as their best player, but what's the alternative? He's a top 13 player, a good teammate, they're a relatively successful franchise and he's seemingly committed to the market/organization and has a chance to go down as their greatest player. If they don't offer it immediately, the fans will revolt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trash

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Precisely why you dont throw that kind of money on a single player.

If you know that even with him your team won't get anywhere, isn't it a better idea to get 2-3 decent players for the same price?

The only winner here is Lollard for sure.
    Like Turner, Crabbe, Meyers Leonard and Ezeli?

John Wall is not in the same tier as Lillard. CP0 was, but he was also 5 years older.

Their other two options are:

1. Try to attract another superstar to POR.
    2. Try to strike gold in the draft and draft a future superstar that will stick it out with them in a non-destination city.

There's practically no shot the first option happens. The chances of the second one are slim. Locking up their superstar in his prime, that wants to retire there is easily their best option. Besides, the supermax will eventually become the norm so most compe ive teams will have to deal with the same cap issues.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Westbrook can get $200 million then Dame can definitely get $190 million. In today's nba he is worth it, even though they will never win.

At the end of the day, if teams want to keep their franchise players they will have to pay the max, even if they don't win. That is how the NBA is now setup.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    The difference is, the Clippers are located in L.A., which means as long as they have their together (which they now do), they can be a player in free agency for the true superstars. Most markets can't say the same.

Of course the Trail Blazers are never winning a championship with Lillard as their best player, but what's the alternative? He's a top 13 player, a good teammate, they're a relatively successful franchise and he's seemingly committed to the market/organization and has a chance to go down as their greatest player. If they don't offer it immediately, the fans will revolt.
    Destroying your cap flexibility for a treadmill team is never a great idea. Even if you're not a premier free agency destination, staying flexible still makes it so much easier to make those moves on the margins that separate good teams from great ones. It also allows you to take on short-term bad contracts with long-term assets attached during a rebuild. Plus, you avoid situations like the Wizards are in right now where they're saddled with the most untradeable contract in the league.

Sure, fans will revolt now if the Blazers don't offer Lillard the supermax. But those same fans will eventually get tired of sitting through uncompe ive playoff sweeps with Lillard and start demanding a rebuild later, when he's older, higher-paid and harder to trade. There's no clear-cut winning option here that pleases everybody, and that's a failure on Silver's part.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    today’s nba

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Tbh, if the league and the players expect small-market franchises to agree to these bloated deals, then they need to balance it out by bringing back the amnesty clause every few years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah portland was about to win the championship if they just let lillard go. now they're ruined.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just the reality of the supermax tbh, pretty punitive unless you have a top 2-3 player.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This might be semi-defensible if his current contract was ending and this one was effective immediately, but he's still got two years until this even takes effect. They'll be paying him over $50 mil when he's 34 years old. That's nuts.

My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    This reminds me of when the Warriors signed Antawn Jamison to a max contract back in 2001. He wasn't anywhere close to a max player but he was their best player and their fans had zero hope for the future

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How far will salary cap go up

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Destroying your cap flexibility for a treadmill team is never a great idea. Even if you're not a premier free agency destination, staying flexible still makes it so much easier to make those moves on the margins that separate good teams from great ones. It also allows you to take on short-term bad contracts with long-term assets attached during a rebuild. Plus, you avoid situations like the Wizards are in right now where they're saddled with the most untradeable contract in the league.

Sure, fans will revolt now if the Blazers don't offer Lillard the supermax. But those same fans will eventually get tired of sitting through uncompe ive playoff sweeps with Lillard and start demanding a rebuild later, when he's older, higher-paid and harder to trade. There's no clear-cut winning option here that pleases everybody, and that's a failure on Silver's part.
    This though I think lilard is more deservingvtan most he flamed out in consecutive series after torching OKC in round one...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Casey Holdahl
    @CHold
    The Trail Blazers and head coach Terry Stotts have come to terms on a multi-year contract extension.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who owns the Blazers since Paul Allen passed away?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just the reality of the supermax tbh, pretty punitive unless you have a top 2-3 player.

Ding, Ding we have a winner!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “Dame is a special player,” Warriors star Draymond Green told Yahoo Sports. “He just keeps battling. He loves this team and this city, and you respect the fact that he wants to win here and do it his way. He’s an ultimate compe or, and you can tell he’s from Oakland. He’s going to find a way to get it done.”

That's a good quote from Draymond. Lookin out for Dame during his big contract time.

Thread Information