Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I was already thinking of dropping Netflix as it is. I turn it on, scroll through it, then end up in either Prime or Hulu.

I'm also not dropping cable just yet because of sports... Even though Prime is picking up some in that category.

Netflix is gonna need to do something fresh pretty soon, imo.
    I watch more Netflix originals than I do Prime, personally. I dropped cable 6 years ago.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    My breakdown is about

40% Netflix
    25% HBO
    10% Prime
    5% Hulu
    20% On Demand from other cable networks through DTVNow

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    I was already thinking of dropping Netflix as it is. I turn it on, scroll through it, then end up in either Prime or Hulu.

I'm also not dropping cable just yet because of sports... Even though Prime is picking up some in that category.

Netflix is gonna need to do something fresh pretty soon, imo.
    Netflix is a 4-6 month a year proposition. A lot of people don't want the hassle of canceling and uncanceling as long as the rate is reasonable. For that reason, they should grandfather rates instead of raising them; and have rates for new customers.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You're nuts.

There isn't even that much Disney stuff on Netflix to justify dropping them for taking a couple of movies off the catalog. Specially the way Netflix keeps making good original content.

Also I find that Netflix has a lot more hidden gems.
    Such as?

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Off the top of my head:

Burning (Which I just saw a couple of days ago and starts Glenn from the Walking Dead)
    Enemy
    Wind River
    The Invitation

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    I watch more Netflix originals than I do Prime, personally. I dropped cable 6 years ago.
    Right now I'm working on Sneaky Pete and Bosch on Prime. I've got nothing going over on Netflix.

I get tired of thinking I'm finding a fresh new Netflix original only to find it's a Euro clunker.

I'll probably drop it after Stranger Things 3

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Right now I'm working on Sneaky Pete and Bosch on Prime. I've got nothing going over on Netflix.

I get tired of thinking I'm finding a fresh new Netflix original only to find it's a Euro clunker.

Same goes for their "new" do entaries too. I wont lie, that does start to disappoint.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I’ve noticed a lot, not all, of the movies available are pretty much available across all platforms. It’s like the movie company’s decide which ones will be available for the next 3 months. I know there are a handful of exclusives, but overall, they pretty much rotate the same movies at the same time across the platforms.

Edit: I’m not referring to the premium channel movies like HBO, Showtime, STARZ, etc.
    Every time I want to watch a movie, I look for it on Netflix and find it's only available on Prime, which I don't have right now. It's quite annoying. It used to be possible to rent a ton of movies from Amazon without being a Prime member, but that doesn't seem to be available anymore.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

Yeah I like those two on Prime, but they are really the only ones that have interested me so far.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    "NBC has decided to remove "The Office" from Netflix in 2021 and include the show in the company's new streaming service. The deal will be exclusive for five years.

NBC announced the decision to remove "The Office" in a statement on Tuesday. The hit comedy was the most-watched Netflix show in 2018, according to data analytics firm Jumpshot. The move bolsters the potential appeal of NBC's ad-supported streaming service, which is set to launch in the first quarter of 2020.

A person familiar with the negotiations said Netflix made an offer to keep it, but the offer was rejected. Netflix was willing to pay up to $90 million a year for the rights, but NBC topped that offer and will pay $100 million. ("The Office" was produced by Universal Television, a different division of NBCUniversal, in association with Deedle-Dee Productions and Reveille Productions.) One idea under consideration was to split the rights, with Netflix being the home for ad-free watching, and NBC's service being the ad-supported option....."

Oh another streaming service. Yippee

I guess Netflix won't die but will become just another streaming channel.

Cable tv seems to be ready to circle the drain in the next five years for sure.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    More torrenting imo

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    "NBC has decided to remove "The Office" from Netflix in 2021 and include the show in the company's new streaming service. The deal will be exclusive for five years.

NBC announced the decision to remove "The Office" in a statement on Tuesday. The hit comedy was the most-watched Netflix show in 2018, according to data analytics firm Jumpshot. The move bolsters the potential appeal of NBC's ad-supported streaming service, which is set to launch in the first quarter of 2020.

A person familiar with the negotiations said Netflix made an offer to keep it, but the offer was rejected. Netflix was willing to pay up to $90 million a year for the rights, but NBC topped that offer and will pay $100 million. ("The Office" was produced by Universal Television, a different division of NBCUniversal, in association with Deedle-Dee Productions and Reveille Productions.) One idea under consideration was to split the rights, with Netflix being the home for ad-free watching, and NBC's service being the ad-supported option....."

NBC might live to regret that decision in my opinion.

I dont know of a single person who says oh I love me some NBC, I gotta get on that!

At least Disney has a massive library of movies and lined up shows they will hit the road with so it makes a lot more sense for them to pull all the Marvel movies currently on Netflix. What is NBC even offering? Show's that have been off air for the last 5-10 years?

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yeah, I can't see much that NBC can offer beyond shows that have been in syndication since their original runs like Seinfeld and Friends. Only real material I see of value is if they had the full SNL archives on board. I'd binge on those for a month or two before cancelling.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    I can see Comcast's making it a free ad-supported service, especially if they aren't adding any original content.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    I'm guessing that NBC will be providing live broadcasts that should bring people in.

Same with Disney... i.e.. abc, ESPN, Fox sports...

Amazon is already ahead in that... Netflix needs to jump into live action quick, imo.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    , if I'm Netflix I work out some kind of exclusive mma deal.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    , if I'm Netflix I work out some kind of exclusive mma deal.
    I dont know why you're under the impression Netflix is about to go bankrupt or be taken over if they dont do x.

Not sure going into live tv is such a get anymore. I mean outside of having a sports package maybe. Cable is truly useless now.

Soon all that will be left is the news network channels.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I'm guessing that NBC will be providing live broadcasts that should bring people in.

Same with Disney... i.e.. abc, ESPN, Fox sports...

Amazon is already ahead in that... Netflix needs to jump into live action quick, imo.
    Disney sold that to sinclair

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    I dont know why you're under the impression Netflix is about to go bankrupt or be taken over if they dont do x.

Not sure going into live tv is such a get anymore. I mean outside of having a sports package maybe. Cable is truly useless now.

Soon all that will be left is the news network channels.
    Eh Netflix might not go bankrupt but I'm not buying any stock. I think these other streaming services are catching up with and soon will pass Netflix.

Sports is the only reason I still have cable. As soon as I don't need it to watch every Spurs game, every NFL game and every Tech football game I'll drop it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Honestly, if someone hasn't already seen all the Office originally, or on Netflix, or the numerous channels syndicating it, chances are they're not going to care.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Denver Nuggets
    Honestly, if someone hasn't already seen all the Office originally, or on Netflix, or the numerous channels syndicating it, chances are they're not going to care.
    That’s not necessarily true. I almost always put the office on when I’m bored or when I just want background noise, and I’ve watched the whole thing probably three or four times. I honestly will miss it enough to consider just getting rid of Netflix.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    That’s not necessarily true. I almost always put the office on when I’m bored or when I just want background noise, and I’ve watched the whole thing probably three or four times. I honestly will miss it enough to consider just getting rid of Netflix.
    Like The Office is the only show that's on netflix you can put on as background noise?

My go tos are Dexter, Spartacus and Twilight Zone for bn. Used to be Lost but since they took that off I have had to make due.

I have tried Hulu and prime and honestly they dont measure up to Netflix in my opinion. Think it comes down to Netflix UI.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Denver Nuggets
    Like The Office is the only show that's on netflix you can put on as background noise?

My go tos are Dexter, Spartacus and Twilight Zone for bn. Used to be Lost but since they took that off I have had to make due.

I have tried Hulu and prime and honestly they dont measure up to Netflix in my opinion. Think it comes down to Netflix UI.
    No, you’re correct, there are obviously more options, but I’d say 90% of the time it’s currently either The Office or Parks and rec.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Lol yeah my 3 current background tv shows are the Office, Parks and Rec, and Cheers

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'll miss it when it's off of wide syndication. But I don't' actively stream it anymore.

For background noise, I'll find something on TV. Usually TruTV where they seem to be running Impractical Jokers 90% of the time.

Thread Information