Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    I think Comcast may have started carrying Tubi in part to see how many people would use an ad-supported streaming service. The NBC site is a mess with every crappy Universal show thrown in on big pot and it took awhile to get the resolution up to speed, but there was only one 2 minute commercial break in a 30 minute sitcom. Not terrible for free; I can't see enough people paying for that even if it had The Office and Parks and Recreation.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    ".....Losing The Office and Friends is bad, but it’s just scratching the surface. According to analytics firm Jumpshot, more than half of Netflix’s 50 most popular shows are owned by companies planning to launch their own streaming services.

Do you see what’s happening here?

Netflix is losing all the best movies and TV shows.

How could this not cripple it?

Netflix sees the writing on the wall, and is spending gobs of money to reinforce its own content library. It spent $12 billion last year, and it expects to spend another $15 billion this year.

It now invests more in content than any other American TV network. But it’s come at a steep cost. To fund its new shows, Netflix is borrowing huge sums of money. Over the past year its debt has shot up 58% to $10.3 billion. For perspective, Netflix earned $1.2 billion in profits last year...."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stephen...has-come-true/

More doom and gloom

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yet they will be just fine.

If Netflix is in peril, than Hulu and Amazon should be closing shops any minute now.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    ".....Losing The Office and Friends is bad, but it’s just scratching the surface. According to analytics firm Jumpshot, more than half of Netflix’s 50 most popular shows are owned by companies planning to launch their own streaming services.

Do you see what’s happening here?

Netflix is losing all the best movies and TV shows.

How could this not cripple it?

Netflix sees the writing on the wall, and is spending gobs of money to reinforce its own content library. It spent $12 billion last year, and it expects to spend another $15 billion this year.

It now invests more in content than any other American TV network. But it’s come at a steep cost. To fund its new shows, Netflix is borrowing huge sums of money. Over the past year its debt has shot up 58% to $10.3 billion. For perspective, Netflix earned $1.2 billion in profits last year...."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stephen...has-come-true/

More doom and gloom
    same author as the OP... dude clearly has a bone to pick

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Yet they will be just fine.

If Netflix is in peril, than Hulu and Amazon should be closing shops any minute now.
    I like renting/buying movies from Amazon. Can't do that with Netflix

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    same author as the OP... dude clearly has a bone to pick
    Everything he's saying is stuff I've been wondering.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/stephen...r-its-all-over

Long story short, Netflix went in on cable tv; Disney+ streaming service is about to go deep on Netflix.

I'd sell Netflix stock now if I had it
    "....Earlier this month, the company’s shares tumbled more than 10% the day after it disclosed that it lost subscribers in the U.S. for the first time in nearly a decade, adding pressure to create attractive programming....."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/netflix...es-11564417323

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Damn Disney is not ing around.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/6/20...eaming-service

They're smart enough to know that Disney by itself wouldn't be enough to knock off the giant Netlix but you throw in Hulu and ESPN+ at a valued price (<Great deal for me since I'm a big motorsport guy and they ship most international races there) and you're probably on par with them right off the bat at 13 a month.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Damn Disney is not ing around.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/6/20...eaming-service

They're smart enough to know that Disney by itself wouldn't be enough to knock off the giant Netlix but you throw in Hulu and ESPN+ at a valued price (<Great deal for me since I'm a big motorsport guy and they ship most international races there) and you're probably on par with them right off the bat at 13 a month.
    Yeah, that's an easy sell for me. Already have Hulu and get ESPN+ about half the year anyway.

Ina world of hype, we win IronMexican's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    I would, but huhu with ads. Do I really need ESPN plus?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    I would, but huhu with ads. Do I really need ESPN plus?
    I'm sure they'd take away the ads for a couple more bucks. Chances are you don't need ESPN+ unless it has the events you want to see. It's got several UTSA sports and weekday D-League games so I subscribe September-April. YMMV.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    "CNBC's Jim Cramer, who popularized the acronym FAANG, said on Thursday that it's time to take out Netflix and replace it with Microsoft.

FAANG stands for Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netflix and Google and is meant to represent a basket of big technology stocks.

"We gotta get Netflix the out of FAANG," Cramer said in an appearance on "Squawk on the Street." "I tell you that right now. I don't know how to do it.".....

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/03/cram...-of-faang.html

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    "Walt Disney Co. is banning advertising from Netflix Inc. across its entertainment TV networks, according to people familiar with the situation, a sign that the marketing wars over streaming-video are escalating as media giants battle each other for subscribers.

Disney, Comcast Corp. and AT&T Inc. are set to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on advertising over the next year to attract consumers to their new streaming-video services as they look to compete with industry juggernaut Netflix. Netflix spent $1.8 billion on advertising last year and will be playing defense against Hollywood’s new entrants.

Disney, whose properties include ABC and Freeform, earlier this year put out an edict to staffers that it wouldn’t accept ads from any rival streaming services, but later reversed course and found a compromise with nearly every company, the people familiar with the situation said. The exception was Netflix....."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/disney-...fy-11570199291

Netflix getting pushed further out alone on their island

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I only see commercials when I watch sports.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Netflix getting pushed further out alone on their island
    We call it an act of desperation to get rid of their biggest threat.

The other link you posted only confirms it. Guy wants Netflix out of whatever he's talking about...but "doesn't know how to do it."

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers

The other link you posted only confirms it. Guy wants Netflix out of whatever he's talking about...but "doesn't know how to do it."
    He just doesn't know how to avoid calling the new group AM .

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders

I don't sense desperation on Disney's part, tbh

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Lol

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Disney stock could drop in the short term; but priced great for anyone wanting a good 5-year stock, tbh.

Thread Information