Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Her team was curious about the impact of teaching people about white privilege. Would it make people more sympathetic toward poor blacks? As part of their research, Cooley and her colleagues offered study participants a reading on white privilege—based partly on the seminal work of Peggy McIntosh, who originally formulated the concept in the 1980s—and then described to them the plight of a hypothetical man, identified as either white or black, who is down on his luck.

What the researchers found is that among social liberals—i.e., participants who had indicated that they hold liberal beliefs about social issues—reading a text about white privilege did nothing to significantly increase their sympathy toward the plight of poor blacks. But, as Cooley told me, “it did significantly bump down their sympathy for a [hypothetical] poor white person.” (Among conservative participants, there was observed no significant change in at udes at all.)"

https://quillette.com/2019/05/23/wha...think-or-hope/

Turns out that popular feminist doctrine that has been spewed to virtually everyone over the past few decades is not beneficial to whites or blacks. Unfortunately, the cancerous feminist talking point that has spread through society is not neutral it's harmful to whites. Which really explains a lot about our current state of affairs tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what it did accomplish?

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Blacks? Won't they be only the 4th largest demographic soon? Imagine being so concerned bought the plight of Muslims in Europe

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nathan89 whining about the HUGE problems white guys have again

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Nathan thinks that whining about feminists will somehow get him closer to losing his virginity

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Quillette is a gaggle of men's rights advocates, 1990s kulturkampf conservatives and race science quacks. Sort of a New Criterion for the nationalist set, it's there to give a respectable veneer of intellectualism to crass bigotry and white grievance.

Tailor-made for the likes of Nathan89, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bring out the fainting couch, because HERE BE DRAGONS.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have no ing clue what self reflection is.
    You have never asked yourself what it would be like to be born female with skin color.
    You need a good Hollywood make up artist and need to spend a month in costume.
    It’s pretty clear your snowflake demeanor will help you in your new character.

You could be taken more seriously if you just said I’m a white male and therefore I’m a step ahead and that’s just tough luck on the others

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nathan thinks that whining about feminists will somehow get him closer to losing his virginity
    He's stuck on iden y politics and the cultural wars, the very same thing his side accuses the left of. One would think he'd learn after watching Ben Shapiro get destroyed.

Blacks? Won't they be only the 4th largest demographic soon? Imagine being so concerned bought the plight of Muslims in Europe

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bring out the fainting couch, because HERE BE DRAGONS.
    If he doesn't play the victim role, the whole charade falls apart.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what it did accomplish?
    What did what accomplish? The quote says what happened.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nathan89 whining about the HUGE problems white guys have again
    Just linking a study that links mainstream feminist doctrine to people not caring about whites. I guess you are the outcome of that indoctrination.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These general perspectives aren't just held by feminists. Many people on this forum who don't call themselves feminists spew the same perspective.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    When were the subjects taught white privilege?

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Study sounds like it focused too much on examples of poor whites and poor minorities. Privilege isn't limited to those below the poverty line.

I don't really believe poor urban whites have much, if any, privilege or advantage over their urban peers. Urban poverty is obviously diverse and breaking the cycle of poverty in cities is difficult across the board.

Outside of cities, and above the poverty line, it'd be hard to argue that it's not much easier to be white than otherwise. But I'm sure OP will try to make that argument.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I feel strongly that white privilege lessons are still important because they highlight the fact that racism persists in our society. In fact, across several studies, which we are preparing for publication, we find that teaching people about white privilege leads both liberals and conservatives to be more likely to perceive racism when Black (vs. white) men are shot by police. Thus, instead of trying to decide whether white privilege lessons are “good” or “bad,” we should think more about whether they are likely to have the effects we intend.

One possibility is that discussions of privilege may benefit from taking a more intersectional lens. For example, although privilege certainly occurs because of race, it can also emerge based on social class, gender, sexual orientation, age, ability, nationality, and so on. Because of this, most of us have experienced both privilege and marginalization at some point.
    https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/n...e-and-liberals

So she certainly doesn't say stop teaching about white privilege.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nathan89=A White Man in 2019 USA who feels sorry for himself and his race. Plus he perceives himself to be in a persecuted minority group all day and night.

Nathan89 also=A Guy who complains about people thinking of themselves as victims since thats a weak mindset.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    these guys high AF

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I bet Nathan is the type who often wonders why he isn't allowed to say in public

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White privilege is almost as good as russiagate. all you weak guilt ridden whites!

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White privilege is almost as good as russiagate. all you weak guilt ridden whites!
    So you think Russia did NOT interfere with our elections?
    or what?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What did what accomplish? The quote says what happened.
    Which one? How that 'accomplish' anything?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL, "white privilege" is somewhat mythical. Celebrity and rich privilege are very real though.

Have enough money and you can get away with murder, rape and sexual crimes of the nature including sexual and heterosexual pedophilia and so on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL, "white privilege" is somewhat mythical. Celebrity and rich privilege are very real though.

Have enough money and you can get away with murder, rape and sexual crimes of the nature including sexual and heterosexual pedophilia and so on.
    Has nothing to do with that, actually... it's unfortunate, but largely still very true that the color of your skin can, in many cases, dictate how another person reacts, behaves or judges you.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ... or hires

Thread Information