Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    But they affect electoral votes, no?
    Yes, per Article I, Section 2 of the US Cons ution. The founders were quite aware of what those words meant.
    Right? All the sudden it's a yuge problem?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    US Reps represent all the people in their districts, not just voters.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    ONLY COUNT PEOPLE WITH A VALID DRIVERS LICENSE

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will Trump's Supreme Court ignore evidence the census is being rigged for racist reasons? Probably

We know now that the Trump administration’s move to add a citizenship question to the 2020 census was done for explicitly partisan vote-rigging reasons.

But the Supreme Court may—in fact, probably will—ignore that new information in its decision on the issue later this month.

there’s a partisan Republican majority on the Trump court, and it wants to rule in favor of a move that is “advantageous to Republicans and Non-Hispanic Whites.”

the opinion is already being written after the justices voted on the matter after April’s oral arguments,

and that the new information hasn’t been thoroughly vetted and considered by the courts and included as part of the legal record.

the Trump administration settled on a citizenship question for partisan and racist reasons.

But this Supreme Court won’t want to admit to that,

because it’s awfully inconvenient for the partisan leanings of the majority of justices.

So don’t be surprised when they fall back on the procedural reasons to just ignore reality in making their decision.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/1862594

And America will more ed and un able into AmeriKKKa

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump administration to face claim of deceit over U.S. Census question

to defend itself against claims that its proposed addition of a citizenship question to the 2020 U.S. Census was secretly orchestrated by a political operative seeking to boost Republicans’ voting power.

the administration hid this fact during the course of their lawsuit and asked Furman to sanction the government.

According to the plaintiffs, Hofeller concluded in a 2015 study that asking census respondents whether they were U.S. citizens “would clearly be a disadvantage to the Democrats” and “advantageous to Republicans and Non-Hispanic Whites” in redistricting.

They said that Hofeller went on to ghostwrite a draft letter from the Department of Justice to the Department of Commerce, asking for the addition of a citizenship question.

Opponents have said such a question would cause a sizeable undercount by deterring immigrant households and Latinos from filling out the forms, out of fear the information would be shared with law enforcement.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-court-census/trump-administration-to-face-claim-of-deceit-over-u-s-census-question-idUSKCN1T611U?feedType=RSS&feedName=domesticNews

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GOP paid millions to operative who pushed census question aimed to help "whites"

Thomas Hofeller, who devised and strategized the census citizenship question, was on the Republican Party payroll

The gerrymandering expert who was revealed to be behind the push to add a citizenship question to the 2020 census — on the premise that it would help Republicans and “non-Hispanic whites” — was paid millions by the Republican National Committee until his death last year.

After Thomas Hofeller passed away last summer, his daughter discovered files on his hard drive revealing that he authored a study showing that a census citizenship question would help Republican gerrymandering.

He pushed the Trump administration to add the question to the 2020 census.

After Hofeller's previously unreported role in the census issue was revealed,
    Mother Jones found Federal Election Commission filings showing that

the Republican Party had paid him more than $2 million for his work.

https://www.salon.com/2019/06/07/gop...o-help-whites/

Repugs knews they were paying for a tactic that would have devastating effect on the non-white people.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where a citizenship question could cause the census to miss millions of Hispanics — and why that’s a big deal

The question is already being asked each year of a small fraction of the nation’s population in the Census Bureau’s American Community Survey.

In the latest ACS, in 2017, the citizenship question went unanswered by about 1 in 12 Hispanics, a far higher rate than that of whites.

Where these non-responses occurred can tell us where millions of Hispanics would probably be missed if the same question were added to the 2020 Census.

Hispanics with no citizenship answer on the 2017 American Community Survey

Hispanics from Mexico and Central America, areas targeted by the Trump administration’s immigration policies, were most likely to skip the citizenship question, so their neighborhoods would be most affected by the undercount.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/06/06/where-citizenship-question-could-cause-census-miss-millions-hispanics-why-thats-big-deal/?utm_term=.d85c1615757c&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    There are issues and topics I as a life long Liberal cross over on

I fully support a citizenship question. Maybe it is my personal experience (as an immigrant) from a foreign nation. Avoiding this question is irresponsible governing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I fully support a citizenship question. Maybe it is my personal experience (as an immigrant) from a foreign nation. Avoiding this question is irresponsible governing.
    read the Cons ution, you racist pig

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    read the Cons ution, you racist pig
    Which part?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    THE WHITE HOUSE REALLY DIDN’T WANT KRIS KOBACH TO TESTIFY ABOUT THE CENSUS

the White House “interfered directly and aggressively with the Committee’s interview,”

instructing Kobach not to answer any questions

about his communications with President Donald Trump
    and White House aides about the census.

The White House’s attempts to block Kobach’s testimony marks an escalation of the administration’s wide-ranging stonewalling of all House investigations concerning Trump. Yet the administration’s actions beg the question:

what doesn’t it want Democrats to see?

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/06/white-house-kris-kobach-testify-census?mbid=nl_th_5cfd909d28d8ad228c470a81&CNDID=4 3758549&utm_source=nl&utm_brand=vf&utm_mailing=VF_ Hive_61019&utm_medium=email&bxid=5bd6795524c17c104 8022fcc&cndid=43758549&hasha=992d608214b505003aa04 bf10a595031&hashb=542eb31d958e85ddd5a4c3ccf3faae18 526a77bd&hashc=54b3612ab970ce13a64a16665b1987080ca 5b72e2ee762b722fbba6ab378f2f5&esrc=bounceX&utm_cam paign=VF_Hive_61019&utm_term=VYF_Hive&verso=true

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bill Barr’s brazen new dodge: He hopes to blackmail Congress over census info

Barr responded to Tuesday’s vote by again threatening to withhold do ents requested by Congress — but in a totally unrelated case.

The House Oversight Committee is scheduled to vote Wednesday to hold Barr and Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross in contempt of Congress for refusing to provide do ents related to the 2020 census in response to congressional subpoenas.

In a blatant attempt to stop this oversight effort, the Justice Department on Tuesday

threatened to withhold the do ents on its efforts to add a citizenship question to the 2020 census, by fair means or foul,

unless House Democrats abandon their vote to hold Barr and Ross in contempt.

the DOJ’s claim of privilege appears to depend on mings’ behavior, not on objective questions of law or fact.

Barr intends to seek a privilege assertion not just for the DOJ do ents, but also for Commerce Department do ents covered by the committee’s subpoena.

“They produced none of the do ents we asked for, they made no counter-offers regarding these do ents, and they seem determined to continue the Trump administration’s cover-up,” mings added.

Barr’s DOJ is no longer even pretending to be an independent, non-political department; still less pretending to respect Congress’ role as a co-equal branch of government with an oversight role.

His argument against oversight essentially amounts to: “If the House continues to ponder holding me in contempt, I will continue to obstruct justice and perform more contemptuous acts.”

The Supreme Court’s unanimous decision in the 1974 U.S. v. Nixon case — which led directly to a president’s resignation — supposedly settled this issue.

Assertions of executive privilege beyond the scope of that decision would seem to be

blatant obstruction of justice.

That’s exactly where we are.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/06/bil...e+Raw+Story%29

So we see Repugs' rolling out their strategy of the unCons utional "unitary executive" aka dictator, beyond the reach of Congressional oversight. The President to be unimpeded by Congress. My guess is the oligarchy's SCOTUS s would approve.

Last edited by boutons_deux; 06-12-2019 at 07:38 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMFAO,snowflake comments from the weakest humans here
    Ah, the "i'm rubber and you're glue" defense. Well played, kid. (slow clap)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The people who designed the question did so with the reasoning that it's purpose was not to get information but to simply favor one political party over another. The lie that it would help gather some sort of important data that we couldn't get otherwise is just that, a lie to cover the real motive of hurting one political party to help another.

Do you think we would do things in government based on lies?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Executive privilege claimed for subpoenaed docs.

Covering up an attempt to bake in an electoral advantage for the GOP for the next ten years by gaming the census, sounds legit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Commerce Sec'y and the WH came up with a plan to better enforce the Voting Rights Act, but it's super SEKRIT.

No peeks.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ah, the "i'm rubber and you're glue" defense. Well played, kid. (slow clap)
    Necro diggin a thread again ehh spazzboy????

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DOJ rank and file withdraw from the push to add the citizenship question.

Why can't Barr get his own subordinates to carry water for him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump/Barr defying circuit court orders and SCOTUS should, in any sane iteration of the USA, be impeachable in and of itself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Naturally, nothing of the sort will happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To me this is a much bigger deal than campaign finance violations or accepting help from foreigners to win.

If POTUS can ignore the courts we no longer have a republic, simple as that.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    How is this no brainer census question still up for debate

Lol @ backwards USA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How is this no brainer census question still up for debate

Lol @ backwards USA
    Racial animus. Even SCOTUS didn't believe Trump's lies about it.

The President can't just ignore legal rulings he doesn't like in our system.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Racial animus. Even SCOTUS didn't believe Trump's lies about it.

The President can't just ignore legal rulings he doesn't like in our system.
    Why wouldn't you want your census to be accurate?

If their illegal they shouldn't be here. LOL!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why wouldn't you want your census to be accurate?

If their illegal they shouldn't be here. LOL!
    Check the top of the page.

The US Cons ution requires a head count of free persons. If the the cons utional convention wanted to restrict the US Census to citizens only, it would have said so. US Reps represent ALL the people in their respective districts, by design.

Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons.
    https://www.uscons ution.net/xconst_A1Sec2.html

Thread Information