Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They conservatives seem to favor the plaintiffs on the merits, but raise issues of standing and timing. Since there's no injury yet, the lawsuit might be premature.
    "
    Delivering the Numbers

le 13, U.S. Code requires that the apportionment population counts be delivered to the President within 9 months of the census date.

In the 2020, 2010, and most 20th century censuses, the census date has been April 1, meaning that

the Office of the President received the counts by December 31 of each census year.

According to le 2, U.S. Code, within one week of the opening of the next session of the Congress,

the President must report to the Clerk of the House of Representatives the apportionment population counts for each state and the number of Representatives to which each state is en led.

Also according to le 2, U.S. Code, within 15 days, the Clerk of the House must inform each state governor of the number of representatives to which each state is en led."

https://www.census.gov/topics/public...ent/about.html

31 Dec is unchanged by the pandemic

https://2020census.gov/en/news-events/operational-adjustments-covid-19.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

"
    Delivering the Numbers

le 13, U.S. Code requires that the apportionment population counts be delivered to the President within 9 months of the census date.

In the 2020, 2010, and most 20th century censuses, the census date has been April 1, meaning that

the Office of the President received the counts by December 31 of each census year.

According to le 2, U.S. Code, within one week of the opening of the next session of the Congress,

the President must report to the Clerk of the House of Representatives the apportionment population counts for each state and the number of Representatives to which each state is en led.

Also according to le 2, U.S. Code, within 15 days, the Clerk of the House must inform each state governor of the number of representatives to which each state is en led."

https://www.census.gov/topics/public...ent/about.html

31 Dec is unchanged by the pandemic

https://2020census.gov/en/news-events/operational-adjustments-covid-19.html
    There's definitely question of whether enough time remains to scrub "illegal immigrants" from the count. There's also been a suggestion (a weak suggestion imho) that states will lack standing to sue if the count doesn't affect apportionment.

Redistricting is likely to start in January in a lot of states. Like Roberts said, it's hard to unscramble the eggs at that point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SCOTUS punts. Breyer, Kagan and Sotomayor dissent. The issue of standing cuts in Trump's favor this time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    apportionment is the big political result of the US census:

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Honest people rewarded

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honest people rewarded
    What are you talking about?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What are you talking about?
    This is the guy that was calling for race wars the day before the Dylan roof shootings happened.

Replace honest with white and you have what he is getting at.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The House arbitrarily fixed 435 seats 100 years ago when USA had 100M.

Now USA has 330M and still 435 voting seats.

That means that when a small state (rural/red) increases in population, a large state (blue) gives up a seat to the small state.

eg, I think it was CA that gave a blue seat to red MT.

We can't increase past 435 House seats to 1400 seats because the House BUILDING is too ing small! What a hole country.

Architecture before, crimps democracy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The House arbitrarily fixed 435 seats 100 years ago when USA had 100M.

Now USA has 330M and still 435 voting seats.

That means that when a small state (rural/red) increases in population, a large state (blue) gives up a seat to the small state.

eg, I think it was CA that gave a blue seat to red MT.

We can't increase past 435 House seats to 1400 seats because the House BUILDING is too ing small! What a hole country.

Architecture before, crimps democracy.
    That's a legislative fix, in principle Congress can grow along with the population.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Census Bureau to miss deadline, jeopardizing Trump plan

The Census Bureau will miss a year-end deadline for handing in numbers used for divvying up congressional seats,

a delay that could undermine President Donald Trump’s efforts to exclude people in the country illegally from the count

if the figures aren’t submitted before President-elect Joe Biden takes office.

The Census Bureau plans to deliver a population count of each state in early 2021, as close to the missed deadline as possible,

“As issues that could affect the accuracy of the data are detected, they are corrected,” the statement said.

“The schedule for reporting this data is not static. Projected dates are fluid.”

It will be the first time that the Dec. 31 target date is missed since the deadline was implemented more than four decades ago by Congress.

https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-joe-biden-census-2020-8dd78fbb0460c377cde074e3c8d6f967

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden EO Will Officially End Trump’s Bid To Weaponize Census Data To Boost GOP Power

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/b...oost-gop-power

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Facing damning whistleblower allegations and new admin,

Census Bureau boss will retire 1 year early

after
    a whistleblower report said top census officials including Dillingham pressured staffers to rush a last-minute, “statistically indefensible” count on undo ented immigrants to turn over to twice-impeached president Donald Trump.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2010347

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden EO Will Officially End Trump’s Bid To Weaponize Census Data To Boost GOP Power

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/b...oost-gop-power
    in this vein

A GOP strategist had concluded that using block-level citizen voting age population, or CVAP, data for redistricting "would be advantageous to Republicans and Non-Hispanic Whites."
    https://www.npr.org/2021/01/22/95960...-redistricting

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By repealing Trump’s census order on unauthorized immigrants, Biden just gave Texas GOP an extra House seat, or two

Republicans control Texas redistricting and are likely to keep the spoils from counting 1.7M or so noncitizens Trump wanted excluded from apportionment.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/poli...se-seat-or-two

Federal funds to the states are based on census numbers, so not only do hole TX bag Repugs get 1 or 2 more seats, they get more Fed $Ms, where very little, if any, will go to help the population in those two districts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On January 27, 2021, Kathleen Styles, an official at the U.S. Census Bureau, announced at a National Conference of State Legislatures event that the bureau would release its final apportionment report by April 30, 2021. Styles also said the bureau hoped to release detailed redistricting data after July 31, 2021.
    sounds squishy

https://news.ballotpedia.org/2021/02...after-july-31/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The y/incompetent 2020 US Census will cause headaches this year and the next.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wilbur Ross to skate

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I had high hopes for Garland but turns out he’s just another “ the country needs to heal ” hack.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I had high hopes for Garland but turns out he’s just another “ the country needs to heal ” hack.
    Jen Taub had a similarly scathing take on 2008 banking, "elite felons" feels more descriptive than editorial to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wilbur Ross rat ed em

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Wilbur Ross rat ed em

The in' thing/census was all screwed up by the COVID. It should have been suspended for 2 years, just go with the old numbers, but they brazened it out.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nearly 380,000 Texans weren't counted in 2020 Census

potentially costing the state hundreds of millions of dollars in federal funding tied to that data

Texas had the highest undercount of any state in raw numbers

The Lone Star State also had the second-highest undercount by percentage, at 1.28 percent.

the census missed more residents in Texas than in California, Florida or New York,

Nationwide, one-fifth of the individuals who were not counted live in Texas

Counting the additional 377,000 people would have afforded Texas more than $247 million in 2021 federal Medicaid reimbursements,

children under 5, people of color, renters and those who live in households with noncitizens were most likely to be undercounted.

Texas, along with some other GOP-led states, refused to spend money on census efforts, and

the state government didn’t create a plan for the once-a-decade endeavor.

In Texas, the ins ute estimates that Black and Latino residents were underrepresented in final totals by 2.57 and 2.32 percent, respectively.

White, non-Hispanic residents had a net undercount of .03 percent.

people of color accounted for 95 percent of Texas’ 4 million-person population growth over the past 10 years, with Hispanic Texans making up nearly half of that surge.

inaccurate count of Black and Hispanic residents also means that their communities will “miss out on their fair share of funding and resources,”

while majority-white areas will receive more resources than they should,

https://www.expressnews.com/news/leg...s-16583443.php

In racist slave-state Confederate Texas, the racism and cheating and screwing non-whites are BIG

There's method in Texas' willful incompetence.

======================

Latinos sue against 'racist' redistricting maps in Texas

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/texas/article/Latinos-sue-against-racist-redistricting-16547130.php

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nearly 380,000 Texans weren't counted in 2020 Census

potentially costing the state hundreds of millions of dollars in federal funding tied to that data

Texas had the highest undercount of any state in raw numbers

The Lone Star State also had the second-highest undercount by percentage, at 1.28 percent.

the census missed more residents in Texas than in California, Florida or New York,

Nationwide, one-fifth of the individuals who were not counted live in Texas

Counting the additional 377,000 people would have afforded Texas more than $247 million in 2021 federal Medicaid reimbursements,

children under 5, people of color, renters and those who live in households with noncitizens were most likely to be undercounted.

Texas, along with some other GOP-led states, refused to spend money on census efforts, and

the state government didn’t create a plan for the once-a-decade endeavor.

In Texas, the ins ute estimates that Black and Latino residents were underrepresented in final totals by 2.57 and 2.32 percent, respectively.

White, non-Hispanic residents had a net undercount of .03 percent.

people of color accounted for 95 percent of Texas’ 4 million-person population growth over the past 10 years, with Hispanic Texans making up nearly half of that surge.

inaccurate count of Black and Hispanic residents also means that their communities will “miss out on their fair share of funding and resources,”

while majority-white areas will receive more resources than they should,

https://www.expressnews.com/news/leg...s-16583443.php

In racist slave-state Confederate Texas, the racism and cheating and screwing non-whites are BIG

There's method in Texas' willful incompetence.

======================

Latinos sue against 'racist' redistricting maps in Texas

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/texas/article/Latinos-sue-against-racist-redistricting-16547130.php
    Oops.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    taking a symbolic stand, Texas shot itself in the foot

Thread Information