Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi would be dropping $40M just signing a Max deal with he Clippers. I doubt he’s entertaining any thoughts of a Laker discount, since he never wanted to play with LeBron in the first place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have a sick feeling that Lakers are on the table

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have a sick feeling that Lakers are on the table
    The Clippers are likely a disciplined, orderly, demanding, no nonsense outfit led by Jerry West.

That's why the anarchy of the Lakers might appeal to Kawhi -- he can get lost in the background and do whatever he wants whenever he wants. And still win (probably).

Could the disfunctional Lakers be Kawhi's perfect destination?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , I've been away from Spurstalk for a couple of days since the Raptors won it all, and this isn't the news I wanted to see.

What does unprotected swap mean? How does all this work? Can they swap picks with the Lakers in those years if they want?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine if the Lakers was able to sign Kawhi. This is like a " you" twice by the Lakers and Uncle Dennis for not trading him to LA. Then they will praise the Lakers for not going all in for Kawhi which they were able to use it for AD.

I might stay away from watching NBA for the meanwhile if that happens.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , I've been away from Spurstalk for a couple of days since the Raptors won it all, and this isn't the news I wanted to see.

What does unprotected swap mean? How does all this work? Can they swap picks with the Lakers in those years if they want?
    Unprotected swap means NO can swap picks even if LA is in the lottery. If AD were to become injured, that'd be a real possibility.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unprotected swap means NO can swap picks even if LA is in the lottery. If AD were to become injured, that'd be a real possibility.
    Darn, that is a great deal. Usually LAs picks would be lower if Lebron and AD and whoever else they get don't get injured, but if for some reason they end up with worse picks and New Orleans has to option to swap, great deal for NO. This is a similar deal with draft picks that I wanted the Spurs to get.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Darn, that is a great deal. Usually LAs picks would be lower if Lebron and AD and whoever else they get don't get injured, but if for some reason they end up with worse picks and New Orleans has to option to swap, great deal for NO. This is a similar deal with draft picks that I wanted the Spurs to get.
    The difference is the spurs dealt with an arrogant magic Johnson who thought he could land everyone in free agency so didn’t think he needed to trade much. While New Orleans dealt with re ed rob pelinka

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apparently New Orleans is shopping the #4 pick. They've reached out to Washington for Bradley Beal. Wonder if Derozan would work? That would free up cap space and get San Antonio a nice pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apparently New Orleans is shopping the #4 pick. They've reached out to Washington for Bradley Beal. Wonder if Derozan would work? That would free up cap space and get San Antonio a nice pick.
    We can only pray no is that stupid

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NO might like Milutinov as a throw in since they traded away their starting center.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NO might like Milutinov as a throw in since they traded away their starting center.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pelicans getting that haul

while the spurms patfo got trash for kawhi...lol patfo still living on some reputation best in the business, more like best at making stupid trades

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pelicans getting that haul

while the spurms patfo got trash for kawhi...lol patfo still living on some reputation best in the business, more like best at making stupid trades
    Don't forget stupid free agency signings and stupid contract extensions

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't forget stupid free agency signings and stupid contract extensions
    It's all about corporate knowledge and culture.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Leonard was a lottery pick.
    No, he wasn't. He was the 15th pick and selected right outside the lottery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I bet they still have a disappointing season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if New Orleans would have an interest in Milutinov as a sweetner to a deal since they just offloaded their starting center.

Kori's nightmare SpurOutofTownFan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, and three first-round picks – including the No. 4 overall in 2019 Draft,"

That's pretty much what the Spurs wanted for Kawhi and the Lakers are now 1 year older, LBJ is one year older, and still didn't get to keep any of that. Brilliant piece of business!!!

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    "Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, and three first-round picks – including the No. 4 overall in 2019 Draft,"

That's pretty much what the Spurs wanted for Kawhi and the Lakers are now 1 year older, LBJ is one year older, and still didn't get to keep any of that. Brilliant piece of business!!!
    But yall Niccas didn't wanna deal with us anyways if yall did we might be champs already so be grateful... Only thing worse than nephew ringing is him ringing with Lakers... Besides our prospects are anyways.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the trade Pop wanted. Lakers just weren't desparate enough to do it until now.

Dan Patrick said it best today, the Pelicans are "shorting" on the Lakers. Ball, Hart and Ingram are incidental, the picks tell an interesting story:

4th pick - potential quality vet/all star (trading the pick potentially hurts the Lakers cap space which hurts team construction)
    2021 - (1-8 protected) seems this pick is protected just in case Lakers suffer through injuries again, specifically the last off season before LBJ enters the option year. If the Pelicans have to settle for the 2022 unprotected pick, this is the one pick where it's highly likely it's a low 1st Rd pick because Lakers going all out in the option year of LBJ contract. If the Pelicans get this pick in 2021, this is the class where it could be a duel class where the one and done in college basketball potentially ends and HS players become eligible to draft. This could be a very deep prospect class!

For picks in 2023, 24, and 25, Rich Paul is the wild card in all of this. It will be interesting how AD and Rich Paul handle his free agency in 2020 and beyond. Will AD sign a long term deal, or will he do what LBJ did in Cleveland to Gilbert but in this case to Jeanie Buss? Are they going to put her and Pelinka under the pressure to spend money, go over the cap, and pay the luxury tax for the off seasons between 2019 - 2022. If Buss doesn't follow a program set by Rich Paul and AD, he can go elsewhere and still be 29 at the start of the 2022/23 season. If AD does a two year deal with option in 2020 and not a 4 or 5 year deal, he's covering LBJ years but not marrying himself to the franchise. Then the swaps and pick of 2023, 24, and 25 become incredibly valuable if LBJ and AD are no longer on the team starting in the 2022/23 season. Also, injuries on their own can blow up any plan. For the Lakers sake, LBJ and AD better stay healthy for the next three years, and it isn't a guarantee that they can!

In the short term, both teams did what each set out to do. But the Pelicans are in a far better long term position than the Lakers. The Lakers are so wrapped up in LBJ le window or bust. Any thoughts on the future of this franchise seems to be, "We're the Lakers! Someone will always want to play with us!" The Laker's owner and front office are going to be blamed if things don't work out, not LBJ or AD. Future UFA will see how Lakers handle LBJ and AD for better or worse. And if KL goes to the Clippers and they have better success than the Lakers during this whole time, that's could turn into a major problem. So many variables, so many possibilities. ... will be very fun to watch

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They actually have a good GM now. He ain't picking DD over Beal.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wrong! I don't like the Lakers but their front office makes big moves(trades and free agency) every year to give them a chance to make the big jump up the standings. In the past it has worked but over the last few years they haven't made the right moves but things can change quickly in their favor while the Spurs have to build through the draft.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What future was Ingram, Ball, and Hart? They got a franchise guy in his prime for the #4 pick, a couple of likely late firsts, and a grab bag of garbage. James + Davis + whoever else they sign with their near max cap slot is going to be a legit contender in a year where the conference (and thus the entire league) is wide open.
    Exactly No one should down play this Laker trade. Now they have added another star to entice a third star to jump on board. Kawhi is now more likely to sign with the Lakers.

Thread Information